What color/year is this Prelude?

Hi, there,
I was wondering if anyone here knows what color and year this particular Prelude is. I've always liked this color, and am considering it as a daily driver. Thanks in advance!
-Thomas

Attachments

• preludepic1.jpg
    preludepic1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 250
unsure on the year, but it is a 97 at the oldest. color looks like silver, or maybe a light blue. If you are going to get one, get the Prelude SH. It offers slightly better performance, and isn't overpriced over the base model. All-in-all, it's a very good car, and should make a great daily driver. I wish I had bought one instead of my sebring, but the wife had the final say...

btw, I'm pretty sure that is an SH in the picture. They came stock with the rear wing, and the base Prelude did not.

Looks like a 98 non SH trim. SH have body colored side skirts, front, and rear lip. Also come with more HP.

I'm a bit foggy on this but I believe the regular trims came with 180hp and the SH came with 200HP. Starting in my 2000, both trims came with 200HP.

It has been rumored though that the 5th Gen Prelude is a wonderful car and at the time of its introduction in 1998, was second in Honda's line up to only the NSX in overall feel, handling, and comfortness.

People either love or hate this car because of its bold design. I used to really want one bad but the sticker price was higher than the 98 GSR I ended up getting at the time and there was no aftermarket for the Prelude. Its a no-brainer for a reliable 2nd car.

97 or 98 the front grill on the newer ones are mesh with some letters prelude of something. I had a 98 before my nsx, I loved that car but its no nsx

If you want a Satin Silver Prelude, it was only availabe in 2001. I almost bought one to replace my daily driver (95 Accord) but decided against getting another sports car that was too similar to the NSX (two seater, small back seat, small trunk). Acura made the 2001 GSR in Satin Silver for 2001 so I bought that instead since it had larger back seating, larger trunk and it was a hatchback (can throw my bike in no problem). It was a short run for this color since the RSX came out in July 2001. A Satin Silver '01 Prelude will be a rare find.

That is a 5th genertion (97+). I have a black 98 base model as my daily driver and I love the car. Very fun and reliable, and you see a lot less of them than accords and civics. For what it's worth, 99+ preludes have 5 more HP from some tweaking Honda did.

Whether to get a base or SH is personal preference. They have the same engine and same horsepower. SH have active torque transfer system, which might help handling if you plan to autocross the car, but most prelude owners say it does nothing in everyday driving. On the down side, SH are slightly heavier and can be harder to modify, especially if you would want to go FI down the road.

Things I don't like about the car.. Many of the 5 speeds have the synchros go bad, so getting into 2nd gear, or sometimes 5th, in cold weather can be rough until the car warms up. If you buy one, I recommend changing the tranny fluid once a year. I have this problem, but only in winter. Also, for some reason the prelude was never available with leather seats, so if you want em (I do!), you'll have to try to find aftermarket ones that fit.

Dave

I just doublechecked to be sure.

97-98 both base and SH Preludes have 195HP and 156 ft-lb torque.

99+ both base and SH have 200HP and 156 ft-lb torque.

I'm not sure where that extra 5hp comes from since they all have the same H22A engine. Maybe tweaking the ECU or exhaust.

Also, there was a JDM Type S with 220HP, but it was not available in teh US
:(

Vogue Silver Metallic Clearcoat NH-583M According to paintscratch.com available on 1997 Prelude only. The car is a non-SH model, side skirts are not painted and the rear valance is not painted which is standard on the SH model cars. SH and non-SH cars have identical power and engines ATTS and about 100lbs. is the difference

dlongo said:
97-98 both base and SH Preludes have 195HP and 156 ft-lb torque.

99+ both base and SH have 200HP and 156 ft-lb torque.

I'm not sure where that extra 5hp comes from since they all have the same H22A engine. Maybe tweaking the ECU or exhaust.

I'm probably mistaken, but doesn't the extra 5hp come from the gold [H] symbol some Preludes have? Stickers add extra hp too. :D

I use one (99) for my daily as well.

Some things to think of:

1. dont buy the auto...it has a very bad habit of failing every 40-60k miles. It was honda's first serious attempt at the +/- tiptronic type shifter...and failed since the internal stress was too high. (I think it is a cheapened version of the NSX auto with tip..but am not sure)

2. Base models love torque steering ever so slightly. (Mind you I never drove a FW drive before...so to me it was disconcerning) SH's supposedly dont

3. IMO the car has far too much power assist that detracts from the handling at time. I wish I could take it off honestly.

Back