We Are Becoming Worse Than Animals

Edwardo said:
When I said he could have used a gun to "resolve" his problem, I meant that he could defend himself from his attackers.

In other words, his life was clearly in danger, and thus he could use a weapon (a gun) to defend himself so that he could defend his life (which it appears he may lose as a result of this incident).

I am not sure how you come to the conclusion that because I said he could have hopefully "resolved" the situation by defending himself with a firearm, that it is somehow ok to "resolve" unemployment with a gun.

Are you saying that defending yourself with a gun is the same as executing unemployed people with a gun? I hope not LOL!

I would think that he lives because nobody or he didn't carry a gun.

You think if he has a gun the other side don't incline to shoot him?

Give Guns to Animals, Then We'll Talk

Statistics show that in a confrontation such as that mentioned a gun is exactly as effective as a rock.

The same stats show guns are most often used to kill family members.

More guns are not the answer.

Ryanmcd2 said:
This has to be the dumbest thing I have read on this site in 5 years.

I was obviously being facetious. But even if it wasn't obvious, you would known it was from reading the rest of the posts before you decided to hit the reply button.

Ha!! the old pro gun/anti gun debate.....well The problem with guns is that people are not smart and do not use them properly...IE ..A few weeks back a young man went into the Tacoma Mall and started shooting ...a man armed (legaly) with a handgun, confronted the shooter....the man with the handgun went to the hospital and did nothing to stop the shooter....If the man with the hand gun had used it properly (shot the young man with the AR15) rather than try to negotiate with him while holding his handgun....the shooter would be dead and not taking up tax dollars in jail...and the man with the handgun never would have gone to the hospital......

Washington DC has the worst Gun crime in the nation and also has the strictest "gun control"

There are too many Guns in exsistance to remove all of them from our world..

Gun crime needs to be punished far more agressively....Busting rocks in the hot sun for the rest of your life sounds like a start...

I am sure that when you or yours are being robbed/raped/beaten/shot at the statistics will prove to be a very useful defense. I would prefer to fight back and shoot if necessary.

Andrie Hartanto said:
I would think that he lives because nobody or he didn't carry a gun.

You think if he has a gun the other side don't incline to shoot him?

Andrie, the guy was pulled out of his car and beaten (maybe to death). He was not shot with a gun. So, if he had a gun, and none of his attackers did, he may have been able to brandish the weapon and scare off the bad guys. Or, maybe he would have had to shoot some of them (or all of them). The idea is that he would have had a gun to protect himself from low-life scumbags who wanted to take his life for no other reason than to take his life.

Your post seems to be a commentary on gun control rather than addressing the situation the guy from the article was in. That is fine, we all have different opinions on the role of firearms in our country. Nevertheless, in the article above, it reflects that extreme violence can occurr regardless of whether or not a firearm is present. Again, the guy was not shot, he was beaten, I assume, with hands and blunt objects. People are killed...even without guns.

The gun control debate: I think one thing that is interesting about the United States is that a large majority of our country views firearms not as an instrument of evil, but as an instrument and safeguard of freedom.

Edwardo said:
The gun control debate: I think one thing that is interesting about the United States is that a large majority of our country views firearms not as an instrument of evil, but as an instrument and safeguard of freedom.

Do you have any data to back that up?

"An eye for an eye and the whole world is blind"- Mahatma Gandhi.

NSXLuvr said:

I don't know about the fellow Prime member, but I can come up with a few:

Revolutionary War
Civil War
WWII

Just a few.:wink:

An aside on the gun debate:

We are having a major problem up in Canada right now with guns. Well major to us, anyway. Toronto has just had it's 50th..somewhere just under 60..gun homicide this year..it was a multiple shooter thing in the middle of the busiest street in toronto in the shopping district..a 15 year old girl was killed

see link http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051228.wcreba1228a/BNStory/National/

edit: Read the 189 comments..good cross-section of opinionated people there..

toronto has a population of 3.5 Million approximately. Interestingly compare to a similar sized city likie Chicago..which is already over 600 gun homicides, Toronto is relatively safe. However, you would not beleive the outrage, especially when innocent people are getting caught in gang/drug violence.

People are outraged but their solutions cover such wide ranges as arming people, banning handguns, mandatory min sentences and all the things that are always issues in the American system.

The main difference is that we have an opportunity to tackle it now, and there seems to be a renewed focus on it, hopefully we can learn from what US Cities are doing and stop violence at the source, Similar to how New York City cleaned things up.

mickeylex said:
That's just sad. :mad:

Someone said we need more guns - I think we need more ass whooping's (not necc. the physical kind) when punks like these are kids. Makes me sad to think that our brothers and sisters are out there defending this great country of ours while jackasses who live here take it for granted and make it a worse place to live from within. :frown:

AMEN!! My parents would have opened a can of 'Whoop Ass' on me for even mouthing off to someone in that situation...much less doing this!! Heck...if I had even swung at the guy for no reason they would have thrown me into jail just to learn a lesson....and that would have been the right thing to do. These kids need a serious a$$ kicking and a reminder of what real life values are. :mad:

I saw pictures of the guy on the news tonight. His face & head are seriously swollen. Some cuts too. The a-holes that did this deserve far more than a good ass beating (or 6). Few years as Big Bubba's prison bitch might make them see the error of their ways.

This is a huge problem IMO ....years ago when someone went to jail they did hard time busting rocks,doing hard labor every day,they paid a serious price for their actions.......today they go to jail and they have some hardship but nothing like it used to be.....jail should be hell on earth....but insted they lift weights and get law degrees........I do not support the death penalty...as i do not believe that we have the right to take life unless a life is being threatend....however i do support Jail being serious Punishment!!!.....

If gang bangers and anyone considering beating/shooting someone knew that if they went to jail they would be better off dead, crime would decrease....

NSXLuvr said:

Sorry, I do not have any scholarly journal statistical proof for you at this time. If time permits, I will attempt to procure that at a later date (or not).

It would seem by your questioning that you disagree? You think most Americans think guns are just tools of evil? That the second amendment exhists to better enable criminals to victimize people (and not to protect oneself and our country)?

More Guns are The Answer

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A U.S. soldier on leave from the Army was arrested Thursday for allegedly firing into the air and killing a young mother as she looked out her fifth floor apartment window, authorities said.

U.S. Army Pvt. Danny Carpio, 23, is accused of randomly firing a gun in Queens late Wednesday. One bullet struck 28-year-old Selina Akthel in the head, killing her instantly, said Kevin Ryan, the spokesman for Queens District Attorney Richard Brown.

Akthel's husband and two young children were in the apartment when she was killed.

"Whoever did it destroyed the family of my kids -- my life," her husband, Golam Maola, told CNN affiliate WABC.

Re: More Guns are The Answer

Soichiro said:
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A U.S. soldier on leave from the Army was arrested Thursday for allegedly firing into the air and killing a young mother as she looked out her fifth floor apartment window, authorities said.

U.S. Army Pvt. Danny Carpio, 23, is accused of randomly firing a gun in Queens late Wednesday. One bullet struck 28-year-old Selina Akthel in the head, killing her instantly, said Kevin Ryan, the spokesman for Queens District Attorney Richard Brown.

Akthel's husband and two young children were in the apartment when she was killed.

"Whoever did it destroyed the family of my kids -- my life," her husband, Golam Maola, told CNN affiliate WABC.
What's the point of this story? Clearly, the army must be banned?? :confused:

I'll add one to it in that case:

http://www.wdtn.com/dsp_story.cfm?storyid=19336

Clark County deputies believe a drunk driver is to blame for several crashes Thursday night that ended in a rollover.

Deputies said the driver hit three parked cars in the Park Layne area. Two of those vehicles were occupied, and one victim went to the hospital with minor neck injuries.

An off duty Bethel Township firefighter saw what was happening and called for help. The driver finally wrecked his truck at Rt. 235 and Gerlaugh Road.

Witnesses said the driver managed to climb out of his pickup before medics took him to Miami Valley Hospital with serious injuries.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=55977

December 30, 2005

A Brooklyn man was arraigned on manslaughter charges Friday in connection with the hit-and-run death of a taxi driver in Queens.

Prosecutors say 27-year-old Freddy Ramlochan was driving drunk when he sped through a red light early Monday morning in Ozone Park. Police say that's when his minivan hit a taxi cab, causing it to burst into flames, killing 40-year-old Gurbaj Singh.

The suspect allegedly fled the scene on foot, and later lied about the accident, saying he reported the van stolen.

Ramlochan is being held on half a million dollars bail, and faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

He is due back in court on January 13th.

Beer and cars must be banned.

Back