Want to make my 91 NSX LOUDER Asap!

Hello all. Q's in regard to a 91 Automatic NSX

Ok. I have done some research on my own here at Prime via the Google search.. and conclude that i am still not sure i have made any advancements in my research. My goal is to get the LOUDEST Sound without compromising HP, or my engine, and all of this as affordable as possible.

I studied the SuperTrapp mufflers and have no idea if that setup is just the exhaust tips? Or, if the SuperTrapp setup replaces the OEM muffler? (The reason why i ask if the SuperTrapp "muffler" is actually an exhaust tip, is because from the pictures i have seen.. these appear to be welded on in place of the exhaust tips. They appear to be rather small for a "muffler").

From my own ‘perhaps’ stupid curiosity.. i would assume if i removed my muffler all together i would effectively achieve a louder sound..at no cost. Then install larger pipes (3.5 inches) after the cats. Now, IF i were to remove my muffler and add sufficient length to the pipes to make up for the loss in distance from engine to the rear of the car ..would that hurt back pressure and HP? Would i damage my engine if i were to run the car 'with' cats and NO muffler?

Yes, i am serious. Bottom line, i want a loud sound that is as affordable as possible.

Thanks for your time guys!

Let the suggestions roll...

goto meineke

NSX123 said:
Would i damage my engine if i were to run the car 'with' cats and NO muffler?

Why don't you just go w/ straight pipes & remove cats, get a cat-back exhaust (Taitec, Ark, Comptech, BB, etc) or custom-setup (ie. Flowmaster, Magna, etc)? You'll even experience some rwhp gain!

If you want more sound, acquire & install some aftermarket headers (DC Sports, Comptech, Taitec, BB, SOS, etc) and that'll give even more rwhp. Even 97+ OEM headers would be benefit, if cats removed the 00+ would be fine as well!

Removing the muffler would reduce back-end pressure (loss of some rwhp) and I imagine sound redicuously unpleasant (not just loud). . . :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion.. Osiris_x11

If i were to go with (straight pipes and remove the cats) what happens to my 02 sensor? Do i disconnect the 02 s?

Are “straight pipes” the same thing as ‘test pipes’?

hmmm...

NSX123 said:

If i were to go with (straight pipes and remove the cats) what happens to my 02 sensor? Do i disconnect the 02 s?

I am not sure about disconnecting the 02 sensor sans cats, actually. I'd think no cats (keep pre-cat header- manifold sensor & disconnect post-cat exhaust-manifold sensor; plug holes), therefore "CEL".

Straight pipes & test pipes are of the same, or so I've always thought.

NSX123 said:
Ok. I have done some research on my own here at Prime via the Google search.. and conclude that i am still not sure i have made any advancements in my research.

Instead of the Google search, try the forum search:

search.jpg

It may help you with additional information.

I maybe wrong but aren't the O2 sensors mounted on the headers for 91?

I would not run straight pipe without any sort of muffler. I've done this on other cars and it's unreal how loud it is. One car was a turbo charged car and the turbo acts to quiet things down slightly and you could still hear that car from over a 1/4 mile away! If you're trying to do this on the cheap, a taitec exhaust is not going to make you happy. Cheap would be replacing the mufflers with resonators. That would give you a slight bit of muffling but would still be very, very loud. Again, I'd advise against running straight pipe. Your neighbors, local cops and significant other will all have some hostility toward your car and possibly you!

Yes, i am serious. Bottom line, i want a loud sound that is as affordable as possible.

I bought a new Glock 30, they are very loud, very light and very small. They can be easily used inside a car.

So if you want the loudest sound possible: sit in your NSX (only works when parked), shut doors, place muzzle in ear and pull trigger. THAT will be the loudest sound for very cheap.

It would be fair to say that almost everybody will appreciate that sound over you driving your car with "the loudest pipes possible"...

This must be what Factor X is talking about in the "Changing Demographics of the NSX owners".

Can you please shed a little light on why you want "the loudest pipes possible"?

Unless you live in the middle of New Mexico with no neighbors for a hundred square miles....reconsider your wants and needs. Yes, people will look at you more, but it will be with disdain.

Drew

drew said:
This must be what Factor X is talking about in the "Changing Demographics of the NSX owners".

Drew

This is exactly what I was thinking. Now that the prices are low enough that some kids (pardon the term) can afford them, they are going to F' up a bunch of nice cars with the rigging of cheap mods. Oh well, it will make the value of testefully modded or stock ones go up as these are "totalled" with the mods by their owners. :biggrin:

Go to your local mufler shop,have them bolt up some straight pipes to your stock exhaust manifolds,put your stock exhaust in the garrage and voila,, noise!After you are stoped for the 100th time by your local police for noise violation,see above post by Drew! :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing about the changing demographics of owners. What a sad, sad statement. I hate to see these wonderful cars mutate into loud, obnoxious cars that irritate the rest of the motorists on the road as they zip through traffic. Why someone would want the loudest poaasible exhaust on a car of this quality so beyond my comprehension. Perhaps Dr. Phil could offer an opinion.....

It will sound like an automatic Civic with ricer fart can.

I see you have an automatic. To me, few things sound more terrible than an absurdly loud exhaust on a car with a slushbox transmission.

If you do go with a loud exhaust and straight pipes, I think the worst part would be when you drive it normally - under light or moderate acceleration, such as when pulling away from a stoplight. The torque-converter will do a wonderful job of making a constant, monotone belch.

However, I think an exhaust like the Comptech sounds fine on an automatic. It’s not so loud that it’s annoying under normal driving, but does sound aggressive when you get on it.

I agree 100% with Ojas, the CT is a nice exhaust that is mellow when cruising and then gets pretty loud when on it. Looks good too!

I completely agree with replacing the cats with test pipes. The cars exhaust note will be so much louder and higher pitched. If you are looking into different exhaust systems i highly recommend the following for the loudest exhausts:

1. Taitec Lightweight or JGTC single race exhaust (very loud and affordable)
2. Gruppe M version V3 or V2 ( most unique sounding exhaust note, high quality sound)
3. *Sorcery F1 (loudest, probably the lighest exhaust, highest pitched, crisp exhaust note, unbelievable sound- this is my choice
4. The other F1 sounding exhuausts on GTROM.net

good luck, let me know which exhaust system you go with

Shumdit said:
This is exactly what I was thinking. Now that the prices are low enough that some kids (pardon the term) can afford them, they are going to F' up a bunch of nice cars with the rigging of cheap mods. Oh well, it will make the value of testefully modded or stock ones go up as these are "totalled" with the mods by their owners. :biggrin:

I've actually seen more old people (pardon the term) "F' up a bunch of nice cars" with rigging of cheap wheels and matching off-road suspension setup than "some kids".

Sorry, I disagee. When talking about the NSX or other nicer cars, I have not seen "old" people (is that someone 80 or 30 to you?) doing this with any frequency, nor do I have to yell at my wife at the stoplight because the geezer next to me has his Integra pumping out Englebert Humperdink at 120 dbs! :biggrin:

I had a 94 Accord that I bought as a stolen recovery, it had a coffee can "muffler" it was also an automatic, I had a headache after 10mins of driving...I can't imagine why you would want to screw up your car like that....My car has stock exhaust and I love how quiet it is, the sound the intake makes on accel is plenty of sound for me.

Take it easy on the guy! There are better words we could use to help guide this lost NSX owner. Remember that exhaust sound quality and what denotes "loud" is different for everyone and even for different cars (if I owned a 60's vette, I wouldn't want it to sound like my X). That said, NSX123, I think you'd do well to just save up for a proper exhaust. I believe open pipes, especially of the diamter you speak of using, would hurt performance. It won't damage your car, at least not directly (though some people might throw rocks at your car as you drive by).

The bottom line is, the folks on this forum will almost all say not to do it, as do I. I'll also include, however, that it's your ride and you should do what you want to/with it, even if I, or anyone else, don't agree. I'm sure you'll tire of the sound quite quickly, which is why I say just do it... the sooner you do, the sooner you'll find why we're all recommending mufflers and the sooner you can change back (and be assimilated).

:)

J

NSX123 said:

Test pipes are simply pipes that replace the cats on your car. For a "test" purpose, or track use. It will make your car louder for sure...cats really muffle sound.

Most test pipes will have O2 bungs if the original cats had o2 sensors mounted in them.

SOS has some test pipes...start there....but beware...unresonated test pipes will usually give you a "rasp" sound...(Bees in a can sound)

What the hell ... i know a bunch of E46 M3 owners in CA ages 18 - 50. Those cars cost as much if not more than the NA1 NSX. These owner buy this exaust called Dixis ( For the purpose of performance and asthetics ) however it is "LOUD". Now the exhaust provides a nice look and it is insane as far as volume is concerned and i am sure it is not street legal and many would not appreciate how loud it is however the owners off all ages seem to buy them. SO if this guy wants to make his car perform like a race car then it might as well sound like one. In that case I wont flame him. If he just wants to make it loud and not perform then yeah thats pretty lame... As far as age is concerned, hell i dont know what age he is but it isnt the age that is the issue it is the owners intent.

drew said:
Unless you live in the middle of New Mexico with no neighbors for a hundred square miles....reconsider your wants and needs. Yes, people will look at you more, but it will be with disdain.

Have to agree with this 100%. I would never make "loud" my goal. However, as cliche as it may be.........to each his own. If he wants to be loud, let him be loud.
As a personal venting session, and in response to some of the comments on this thread, it has always been perplexing to me why guys on Harleys don't get stopped for noise, and everyone else does (loud exhaust on a ricer, stereo db's). What's the difference, loud is loud.

diesel big-rig...

zahntech said:
I think guys on Harleys should get busted too..I guess I'm old.. :redface:

I'm not old, but I agree 100%... those Harley's & Chopper's are more noise-pollution than jetliners overhead or interstate highways through a neighborhood. And the part that irks me the most is that they purposely nail the throttle at times just to p1ss off people who are around...
mad.gif

Back