Want an NSX but scared - Help!

I've lusted after an exotic car for 25 years, and at my age I don't have the luxury of waiting 25 more before I'm too old to enjoy it. I'm interested in buying a 1997 or newer NSX, preferably a T-top (even though I may give up some performance, at my age I won't be near the upper end of the car's potential anyway).

The problem is finding a good car versus buying a new Honda S2000. Yes, they are different cars, with very different personalities, but for $33-35K I can buy a new car with no history to worry about. Browsing through this board I realize that as a novice I don't have the skills to tell what is wrong or right with a particular car, and most of the cars I've seen on dealer lots (including Acura dealers) are not prime cars - at best "B" grade.

If I'm going to spend $50K or so, I want to know that I'm getting value for my money, and not someone else's headache. I almost took the plunge on a used Testarossa, but found out that the car had some serious defects, and this car was for sale from a Ferrari dealer. When I buy a car from a private party, I have no way of checking it out, and even when I go to the dealer to pay for an inspection, I've had mixed results at best. Any suggestions for finding the "perfect" used NSX, or do I go downscale and buy the S2000?

PS: Thanks in advance, this is my first visit to your forum, and I VERY much appreciate the information, quality advice, and friendly atmosphere. I've been a BMW owner for years, joined all their forums, and you guys have them beat hands down! I've also owned lots of motorcycles, and still ride a Moto Guzzi regularly. Few cars give me the adrenaline rush that I can get on my Yamaha R6 which will run 0-100 in under 7 seconds, but that is just a theoretical specification for me. :D

Welcome to the forum!

Being that I live in the southeast (TN) and share very similar automotive tastes, I couldn't resist posting.

For my $.02, don't settle with your purchase. Check them out and get what you are passionate about. You'd expect a member of this board to say this, but I think you'll find the NSX a very easy car to love. Its reliable, relatively (to a Ferrari) cheap to own and an absolute blast to drive. The S2000 is wonderful car as well, but if you drive it and an NSX in the same day I think I know which one will come out the favorite.

If I were you, I would check out autotrader and the NSXPrime marketplace. Be patient, shop around and expect to travel to get your NSX (or ship it). CarFax is a decent first pass tool, prepurchase inspections (dealer and/or local NSXer) are a great follow-up if they are available, and be sure to take into account the maintenance history of the car, the NSXprime used car checklist and other goodies in the FAQ.

You'll find the right one, eventually. Happy Hunting.

White94 stated it very, very well.

If this is something you have waited 25 years for, get what you really want.

There are great used cars out there. There are also some turkeys. But the techniques he mentioned can help you screen out the turkeys to find the one that will meet your expectations. (Just don't expect it to be the lowest priced car you can find.)

Also, I've been impressed with the pre-purchase inspections I've seen. But these have been (a) by dealers other than the selling dealer, and (b) by dealers who do a lot of NSX service work and are familiar with which problems to look for.

Finally, get familiar with the market, so that when you find the one you want, you can act quickly. The really good cars don't sit around waiting for buyers for very long.

Good luck.

nsxtasy said:
White94 stated it very, very well.

Finally, get familiar with the market, so that when you find the one you want, you can act quickly. The really good cars don't sit around waiting for buyers for very long.

Good luck.
Another thing that you could utilize is this great website and its members. Once you find a car you like there should be someone that can take a look at the car. This could save you from travelling or buying something inferior. You would of course have to trust their judgement.
Best of luck.

Before I purchased my 97, I also considered the S2000. I drove both of them and that made my mind up. There is zippy leg room in the S2000, when my seat was all the way back, I still wanted to go back at least 2 inches more. The ONLY thing I liked about it slightly more than the nsx was the gearbox... very smooth short throw shifter.

In almost every other category, the nsx beats it hands down. And that is comparing a new S2000 vs a used NSX.

Good Luck

I was also torn between 99-00 Carrera C2 which had a terrible used car value (good for the consumers) and NSX (any year). It took me a long time to make a final decision, finding a car, and etc. Just ask a lot of questions, and take your time. You will find one sooner than you think!

lencap when you find a car ask on this board for help inspecting it. There are many knowledgable people throughout the country who can help you.

Age is NA

You kept saying at your age in your post and so I checked your profile and it says NA--so why bring up your age--It's NA---research research research is applicable to anything before you buy.......I did a lot--at least in pricing and jumped when I had the chance--I did not find this forum until afterwards and it's been superhelpful and the people ARE ONLY WRONG OR PARTIALLY WRONG some of the time-I admit to being partially wrong myself at times.......:rolleyes: ;)

Age and Cost

Thanks for your thoughts, they're appreciated. I'm in my mid fifties, lost over half of my savings in the market over the last few years, and I am scared because of that. I've just finished paying for college, and that's another chunck of change I won't see again. My age isn't so much related to the driving aspect (although I'll never be a racer), but scared for making a financial mistake from which I can't quickly recover. That's why I consider the S2000. A lower priced car, with no history to worry about or unexpected bills to pay.

If you buy a new S2000 and keep it for a few years (how long do you plan to keep it?), I bet you will find that it has lost more of its market value than spending the same amount of money on an excellent-condition '91-94 NSX. That would almost certainly be true if you had the same choice three years ago.

FWIW I am a lost value Nazi

I lost my butt in the stock market a few years ago, but held my own in a 911 I had pulled some $ out to purchase. Then I also bought a Boxster and lost my butt again! Traded the Boxster on a '95 NSX-T. Hopefully I made a better choice this time. Ain't no way a Boxster compares to an NSX, that's another reason I made the change. It is not only a quality issue. The NSX has a better looking body, and timeless lines. A Ferrari without the the breakdowns! :) I could have purchased a 3X8 or a QuatroValve or an NSX (Thank You PeopleFirst!) and I chose an NSX. I am AMAZED by the car. You will not find another vehicle with a paint finish that comes close to the NSX. Damn I love this car.

Is your main point of unease with regard to purchasing an NSX that:

A) You are afraid the car will depreciate more than an S2000 over the next few years? If so, I think it is very unlikely that a 1997 NSX will depreciate more than a brand new S2000 over the next 3 years.

or

B) You are afraid of unknowingly purchasing a used NSX with problems? If so, there are several knowledgeable NSX owners in your area who can help you inspect a used NSX, in addition to professional inspection by a mechanic (and body shop if needed), that can dramatically reduce your risk of buying a problem car.

lencap said:
Any suggestions for finding the "perfect" used NSX, or do I go downscale and buy the S2000?

Hey lencap,

Well, as far as finding the "perfect" used NSX goes... there is no such thing. Every used NSX (or any used vehicle for that matter) will have, or potentially have, some flaw or problem that you will have to deal with or live with, no matter how careful you are about having it inspected before you buy it.

Of course, every new car that I have ever purchased has also had problems that poped up shortly after driving them off the lot, that is why they come with warranties. So, if you need the comfort of a warranty, you can purchase an extended warranty for your used NSX (not always cheap, but may be worth the peace of mind to you).

I'm also guessing that you haven't test driven an NSX and/or an S2000. I've been looking for the right NSX for myself for almost a year now, and out of desperation I went out and test drove an S2000 for the first time yesterday. Well, I'm back to looking for a used NSX today, because there is no comparison between the two cars. If the S2000 had a V6 or better in it, it would be more interesting to drive, but that still wouldn't make up for the rest of its shortcomings. As hlweyl stated there just isn't enough leg room in the S2000. What's strange is it must just be a difference in the seats, because the specs on both the NSX and S2000 are listed at 44.3 inches.

http://www.acura.com/models/nsx_specs_results.asp

http://www.hondacars.com/models/specifications.asp?ModelName=S2000

I've test driven about 10 different NSXs now ranging from 91 to 99 models, and they definetly do have more leg room than the S2000.

With the NSX the handling is different (better), you have soooo much more power and torque (especially with the 97s and up), and they are quiet when you are just casually cruising on the highway. Don't misundersand me, when you want the sound of raw power its always just a pedal tap away, I'm talking about wind noise when you would just like to hold a converstion with someone in the car with you.

Unless you get the hard top for the S2000, there is just too much wind noise that comes through the unpadded soft top at highway speeds. Some may argue that is the price you pay for a convertable, but I've driven Jag, BMW, Mercedes, and even Chrysler convertables, and they are very quiet with the top up.

The biggest, and most annoying thing about the S2000 is the tiny (and I mean tiny) front windshield. Its just too small and low at the top (similar to the BMW Z3s). Every time you pull up to a stop light the bar/pillar across the top of windshield blocks the view of the stop light. It happended every single time I pulled up to a light, no matter whether I was the first person, or the 5th person in line at the light, I could not see the stop light.

If the top is down you have to stretch you neck to look over the top of the windsheild to await the light change. If the top is up, and lord help you if it is, you have to scrunch way down and lean all the way forward against the steering wheel to look under the top pillar and through the glass to see the light.

So as you can see my problems with the S2000 were height related, but I'm only 5' 11" tall. I used to be 6', but I shrank with age. :p So if you are 5' 3" you shouldn't have some of the problems I had, but guess what, if you are 5' 3" your going to have a hard time seeing over the dash and the hood in the S2000, because again, the windshield is just too small. In addition to that you will also have difficulty seeing out the sides and the back, as the windows on the doors and the back are up high.

OK, enough rambling. Go test drive both. Make your own judgements. Its all about personal taste anyway. If you do end up wanting an NSX for sure, then this forum is truly a great place to gain knowlege about what to look for and avoid in a used NSX.
Another great resource I use all the time is:

http://www.nsxhelp.com/

Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

-Douglas

Thanks to all of you. I must say that the friendly, quality advice on this board is unparalled in all the other owner's groups I have ever joined (excluding my beloved Moto Guzzi owners group).

A few more pieces of info - I'm 5'7", so the height issue isn't much of a problem. I'm also very near my mid 50's so the comfort factor is. I agree that the S2000 is rougher than the NSX (I've driven both), but when you have 30 years of motorcylcing behind you any car is a luxury vehicle.

In answer to an earlier post, my finances make me afraid of making a large investment in a depreciating asset when I don't really have the luxury of doing so. I believe I can find a 97 NSX that meets my needs in the $55K range, but that is a LOT of money for me at this time. Moving to a lower priced NSX from my perspective means I have to compromise on HP and upgrades (97 being a big change year), or move to a lower quality car. I prefer to stay with higher quality, so I'm facing spending $55K or more on a quality car, or moving to a $33K S2000. Yes, the resale on the S2000 will be lower percentagewise, and with the updated 2.2 litre engine for 04 depreciation on a 2003 model may be an unknown. But I find it hard to think that that car will drop by more than $10K in 3 years, I don't know what will happen with the NSX, but it seems as if it will drop that much and maybe more with all the newer higher powered cars coming off lease 3 years from now (Ferrari Belinetta resale is dropping like a stone, down 25% in a year). And that in a nutshell is my problem.

As I've mentioned I have had lots of fun on motorcycles and despite my venture into AARP territory, I still have a ball on bikes like the Yamaha R6, which I recently sold. Hard to beat 0-60 times near 2.5 seconds, and 0-100 times under 7 seconds. Not to mention a 600 cc engine putting out nearly 120 HP at 16.5K RPM and more cornering force than I have the ability to explore. All of that performance costs less than $10K with all the mods included.

Frankly, as I mature I realize that having 4 wheels under me is a lot more comforting, and riding above 100 MPH on 2 wheels is a pastime that is best done on a track by those with faster reflexes. I also enjoy riding with my wife of thirty plus years, and that isn't possible on two wheels at 100 MPH, at least on a sportbike.

I appreciate all of your assistance and comments, keep them coming.

Oh well, we tried.

Sounds like you are leaning toward the S2000. Thats cool.

Just another thought for you....

If your worried about budget and depreciation then go ahead and just lease an 03 S2000. The quote I got yesterday was $300 a month with $1500 at signing on a 36 month lease, and I definetly got the feeling that they might even go a little lower than that on the montly payment, if I was really interested. Don't know where your at in the country [edit](OK NC)[end edit], but I would tend to believe that you should be able to get that anywhere.

That way you don't have to make the $610 a month purchase payment ($33k, 60 months, 3.99% intrest), and you can decide at the end if you want to keep it, sell it, or just dump it.

In 36 months you spend just $11.5k on the lease, you save $11.2k (the difference between the $610 a month and $300 a month over the 36 months), and the buy-out at end of the lease is in the mid 20s. If your happy with the S2000, and can't pony up the $$$ for a 97+ NSX, then its not a bad way to go.

Good Luck,
Douglas

Last edited:
this is what always gets me...

Get what you want... b/c if you don't... you'll always wonder.

-x-

If its any reassurance to you lencap, I bought my NSX from a member of this forum and was very pleased with his honesty and willingness to point out the few minor flaws in the car. He was in Florida, I'm in Maryland. He sent me lots of pics of every inch of the car. I flew down to Fla. to check it out and everything was just as the owner described it. The one I bought was 100% stock, so I didn't have to worry about any mods that might cause me problems in the future. The NSX is a very high quality product, and I'm very happy with my purchase. That's my success story. I'm sure there's many others.

lencap, you have recieved some very good advice. The 'stook' is
cute, fun, topless and slightly less flashy than the NSX. The NSX is pure sex on wheels. Drive them both. I too find the lack of torque in the S2000 somewhat tiresome, I doubt that the S2200 (if it comes to pass) will be that much better. Good luck, they are both excellent choices and probably considerably less expensive to own than an older Ferrari.

Well, given my impression of your financial situation my vote would be to get either
a) an 04 S2000 @ ~$34k new
(more torque, better guaging, mild reskin and likely only a couple month wait)

b) a 95-96 NSX @ ~$40-45k for a really nice one
(almost as fast as post97s still open air)

c) a 91-94 NSX @ ~$35-40k for a really nice one
(no roof, more ridgid, lighter)

There are numerous topics about this, but it essentially comes down personal preference. Financially, the 91-94 NSXs make the most sense (IMHO). Fortunately, they are also the ones I like the best (save post 97 coupes) so that explains my 94.

Keep us posted on the quest!

91 to 96 inferior?

97 a major year change---I don't think so--what was it-- a 3.2 and bigger wheels other minor changes--still has the wonderfull cassette head-right? The body is the same----Lenscap--I would not worry about the earlier years--expecially 93 up which don't have that snap ring issue and some other quirks of the two earlier years....

That is a good idea about leasing--I consider it throwing money away but it is a safe way of going until you know if you like it.

Lenscap I guess you would not like my 48FL Harley---too slow-too dangerous with a suicide clutch (foot/heel) and a suicide accelerator---it would not be stock if I went to the suicide shift also.....(at the trany instead of at the tank)

Oh yes--when everything was going down there was one mutual fund sector that was doing very well--REIT's (Real Estate Investment Trusts) I had a balanced portfolio and had 25% increase in just 1 quarter during one of those years--that saved me....Lost a lot in the ESOP which I could do nothing about in my 401K....

Still in the Hunt

I again want to thank all of you. You are not only the freindliest group on the web, but you are also the clearest thinking group as well. I must admit, leasing the S2000/2200 Honda makes a lot of sense. But I did the same with 3 BMWs and never had that intangilble feeling of having committed to owning any of them. Kind of like dating for 10 years - what's the point?

One of the favorite cars I've owned was a 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6. Not the fastest, or prettiest car on the planet, but a car that I truly felt connected me to the driving experience. When I hit it big and bought my dream 1987 911 custom ordered from the factory, it didn't thrill me as much as that Alfa that required me to drive to my full potential to get everything out of the 160 HP engine. (That's another sore point, I was forced to sell the Porsche 2 months after I bought it for a margin call in the '87 stock market crash).

That brings me to the S2000. My head tells me that is the smart choice, but my heart wants an exotic car. I really love the whole Ferrari thing (especially being Italian) but I can't get comfortable with the maintainence. I've driven a Testarossa (nice to have rich friends) and even though it is a heavy, hard to drive machine that isn't really a sportscar, I love that car and it's mystique. You can buy a clean early year TR for $60-70K, but the 15K mile service costs as much as a used Honda Civic. Still, when I think of exotic cars Ferrari is my first thought, and probably always will be. I saw two new Enzo's at the local Ferrari dealership, one was the car in the recent Car & Driver article and the other was due to be delivered in a few days. (Red is MUCH better than yellow on that car). Hard to describe the feeling, but as car buffs I'm sure you understand it.

And that again brings me to the NSX. The only negative comment I've heard from my friends who car afford to buy what they want is that the NSX is "too perfect" and the car doesn't have a "personality". I've driven lots of MB SL500's and I find that car pretty boring, without a personality. I can't say the same for the NSX, it was fun, but somewhat more sound isolated and comfortable than most sports cars. That somewhat hard to define "brio" is what made the 911 so much fun - It was loud, had silly controls and if you drove it the wrong way and you would be facing rearward in a hurry. That brio is what Ferrari has in spades - either in reality or image (just try to drive one without noticing the gate on the gearshift, or that in a 308/28 your feet are off center and you are sitting at an angle).

I've only driven one NSX and that was for less than 20 miles. I never had the tach below 6K, so from my perspective I was in heaven. Didn't really have a chance to play with the handling beyond a few curves that I approached at sub-warp speed out of respect for my lack of knowledge about the car's handling, as well as in fear of owing my friend half of my savings if I messed up.

So, with your gentle prodding, I continue to try to find ways to become an NSX owner, and to forget the big, bad Ferrari call that has hauted me for 20+ years.

I appreciate the comments of the '97 to earlier models, maybe moving down a few years is the answer. Again, thanks to all of you for being so gracious and caring about someone you never even met.

By the way, if you've never ridden a performance motorcycle, consider getting some training first, and then give it a try. It's addicting.

lencap said:
with the updated 2.2 litre engine for 04

I don't think that's definite. It sounds like the "new NSX" that has been just around the corner for the past five years. :(

Originally posted by jrehner
97 a major year change---I don't think so--what was it-- a 3.2 and bigger wheels other minor changes--still has the wonderfull cassette head-right? The body is the same

jrehner, most of us consider the '97 a substantial improvement over the '91-96. Real improvements were made in many, many areas. Not only the bigger engine with 20 extra horses and the six-speed transmission (which together reduced 0-60 acceleration times by around 0.4 second, which is quite significant), but also the bigger brakes, the thicker side rails and other chassis components for improved rigidity, the single disc clutch with dual mass flywheel, and on and on. Check out the list of changes in the FAQ. Whether they're worth the additional money (typically $8-10 over a comparable '96) is another question and depends on personal circumstances. But most of us with the older cars would love to have all the changes that were made in '97.

Our thread beginner made it clear he was not into racing the vehicle --ditto for me and so the bigger engine and bigger brakes too slow it and the 6 speed (oh no not another gear to shift into) really are not a consideration in this thread---I believe our person was looking at depreciation aspects and repair issues etc....Hey I could be wrong;) but he did indicate he liked the comments I made.....

Well, as an insurance adjuster, I'm sure you can appreciate the immobilizer key that was also introduced for '97. :D

Back