Want an NSX but scared - Help!

Hi Lencap!

What a wonderful quandry you find yourself in! Let all NSX owners reading this take a moment to reflect on the good fortune that allows us to own such a fine automobile as part of what is very likely a wonderful existence on this lovely planet!

You have gotten mucho good information so I will try make it short and sweet!

Although you are consciously unaware of this, you have already made the subconscious choice to purchase what is arguably the best sports car in the world. Why?

From the time you considered the S over the X you could have walked into any Honda dealer and ordered an s2000, but you haven't. You know, as did I and most reading this, that you were destined to own an NSX. You are just waiting for that one bit of "information" that confirms the "rightness" of your ultimate choice.

You have been trying to compromise with yourself, rationalizing the substitution of a truly exotic, special piece of machinery with an excellent, albeit mass produced car. I too, drove an S and made all the same comparisons: warranty, repairs, value, equity, etc, etc, etc. I was fooling no one but myself!

Our situations are similar, but on opposite ends of the spectrum. I am 30, new home, new wife (the only thing that comes before my NSX) family planning etc. It was my better half who said it best; if this is the car you have always wanted, then why are you even looking at the other one?

Make errors of commission, not omission. It is better to have owned and sold then to never have owned at all! Go with your heart and trust your decision will be the right one!

Jay
91 Silver/Ivory

Dr. Jay

Very good analysis (lenscap may not agree)--you ought to change your handle--On the initial subject matter of your wording I personally disagree....

Still Listening - thanks

Again, I appreciate the comments and assistance, and yes, you are right about errors of commission and omission. It's a matter of money right now, and also getting comfortable with the NSX as the object of my car lust. My fantasy for 20+ years has been a Ferrari. Yes, they are expensive to own and maintain, and aren't as reliable as the NSX, but there is a mystique that the Ferrari name possess that is hard for me to dismiss. As I mentioned earlier, the Testarossa had a very deep impression on me when it was introduced.

What would also help me is hearing from you NSX owners why you selected your car instead of any of the available competitors, and how you feel about it now, after the initial glow has passed.

Again, thanks to all.

I too did the Ferrari/NSX comparison. Ferrarichat people emailed me privately about quality issues. I researched the NSX. It appeared to be one of the finest cars made in the world. I now have one. I still believe it to be true. If your ego/self esteem needs a boost and you are satisfied looking at your car instead of driving it - get a Ferrari. If your brain works logically - get an NSX. I am not knocking Ferraris. Quality is important to me. I bought an NSX. Puit 250 miles on it today! WHAT A MACHINE! :).

An interesting and most useful thread.....

I have been looking at the S2000 for the past few weeks and the only thought that keeps me from getting that fine car is its bigger brother, the NSX.
I have decided that I will wait and watch for the right one to come around.
I understand that the snap ring issue was resolved in 1993, have I read correctly?
Is there anything else I should look out for specifically in any NSX of MY 93 or later?

When I am close to picking a car I am sure to bother you good people with advice. Presently I am watching the "NSXs for Sale" here on NSX Prime very closely.

Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions that were given to the gentleman who started this thread, I am sure many more benefitted as well. That is precisely the benefit/purpose of a forum.

Re: An interesting and most useful thread.....

shiftright2 said:
I understand that the snap ring issue was resolved in 1993, have I read correctly?

Yes. However, (a) 80 percent of the '91 cars and 50 percent of the '92 cars are NOT in the snap ring range; and (b) I would not hesitate to buy a car in the snap ring range, and either fix it right away (for ~$700 parts and $1000 labor) or wait for symptoms to show up or other tranny work to be needed and fix it then.

shiftright2 said:
Is there anything else I should look out for specifically in any NSX of MY 93 or later?

1. Scheduled maintenance. The timing belt and water pump are specified to be replaced at 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first, but this service has not been performed on many cars. Other recommended services should be checked too.

2. Window regulators. They started using the new-style regulators at some point in the '93 model year. It's worth opening up the doors and installing the Dali Racing window fix-it thingies if needed.

3. A/C. Make sure it blows cold at all fan speeds. Not a common problem, but can be expensive to fix.

4. Stereo. Make sure the various speakers all work.

Thanks nxstasy

greatly appreciate your very useful reply!
This is the first time I have learned about the actual cost involved in the snap ring "repair".

Hello lencap,

I'm in Charlotte and I was having the same problem as you. I was considering wether to buy an S2000 or an NSX. The decision came as soon I test drove the S2000. It drove like a go-cart and felt way too small. Now I'm searching for a 97 NSX-T, preferably yellow.

The FAQ's and discussions on this site have been very helpful in my search for an NSX. I can not imagine trying to purchase an NSX without having access to this great site and the great people who use it.

Mike

As I said in the above post, you sound sound like me a year ago.

I have a feeling that you will regret if you end up buying other cars. I think you should simply focus on finding the perfect NSX for the price range that you feel comfortable with :D

With respect to condition I took the safe route. I am from NJ and bought a sight unseen (but my gut trusted owner) 1991 from CA with less than 3K miles in 1999. Because of the low mileage it was perfect. Not a scratch, not a chip not a wrinkle in the leather. It was a new car. I have driven the wheels off of it and have not had any problems. It has 11K on it now. I opted for an early model because I wanted a coupe. It had to be black and perfect that's why low miles was important.

Now if the NSX is too good, which i agree it is, look to the aftermarket. With headers, exhaust, airbox, no cats, coilover Konis on the stiffest setting the NSX is transformed into an animal.

Hey Lencap,

All things being equal, you could just purchase he next NSX that fits in your price range/color combo etc., and keep it for a year to see how your finances are rolling. If you get a good one, you could just sell it one year later for a modest loss, likely much less than the 1st year depreciation on a new S2K

You can effectively have your cake and eat it too!

Good Luck

Jay

Jay: You just reminded me of one other significant thing. When I first purchsed my low mileage NSX it was a bit of a financial stretch (so i thought). So I knew if i found after a few months that it was either impractical or I couldn't afford it I knew I could sell it and probably make a few bucks, worst case break even. You really can't do that with any new car. -Pat

I bought my NSX May 3, 2003. Silver 93. 71k. Well kept, and maintained locally (Acura of Brookfield, which is a huge plus by the way) by a forum member from Chicago. It is true that the good ones go fast. I pulled the trigger shortly after it hit the market. I could have paid less, but I don't think I would have gotten more.

I started looking last July when I drove my first NSX. I didn't have the funds to pull it off until the spring, but even then I was patient (at least as patient as I could be. ;) )

I though long and hard about buying an E28 or E34 M5 or an E36 M3, even an 850. I didn't want to drive an E46 M3 as my only car, and my total (2) car expense budget was equivalent to $45k, including the daily driver 325.

I drove the S2000 and found it nice but inferior to the NSX. I didn't want to mess with a 993's reliability and maintenance costs, and didn't find it as desireable as the NSX, for the money. I was not interested in the 350Z, G35, RX7, Supra, ZX, 308, 328, 348, vette, viper, etc.

That was 4800 miles ago. (Not counting the 3000 I put on the BMW in that time.)

Its lines are only overshadowed by the brilliance of the drive. The car gives the full exotic experience, whether that is a leisurely drive with appreciative looks and positive comments, save some jackass that asked if daddy bought it for me (he didn't) or a venture into triple digits on a country road or track (or a country road on the way to the track. ;) :D )

There have been a few disappointments, a bent rim and alignment issues, but the experience has been amazing.

The 97 + cars are improved, setting aside the chassis and weight compromise that is the T. You would be happy with a T, don't get me wrong, but that open top comes at a price when at the limit or on the track. 97+ coupes are very hard to find due to their ridiculously low production numbers, save the Zanardi, which is only a very low production car, (and thats saying a lot in the NSX context), which you can't afford and don't need or want for your purposes, but I digress. The essence of the car is the same for the earlier versions.

I think a $35k NSX (91-94) may be the perfect choice. You can keep it for three or four years, and the depreciation should be minimal. The 91-93s have basically stopped depreciating as far as I can tell (having watched the NSX market for the past year seriously and the car market for the last 15 years casually) and are holding their current value, save any loss for inflation, which is probably 3-4% at most these days. (somebody here knows that answer. :) )

Be patient, take all precaution, and find yourself a great NSX.

Everything there

Shiftright2---yeah and make sure the spare tire is nder the front hood and that you have all tools in the tool tray in the trunk--and make sure your knee panels are present on both the driver's and passenger sides--if the footlight does not come on when you open the door or there is no chime when you shut down the engine with your lights on, then the driver's knee panel is missing...(it seems they work on the cars and forget to reinstall them) Oh yeah, if the speaker between the seats cannot be heard then probably your subwoofer is dead or dying under the passenger side footwell

Hey Lencap,

I couldn't help but throw in my $.02 here. I currently own an S2000 and haven't had the opportunity to drive an NSX - so take my opinion accordingly. I've had GTV6's, spiders and GTV's myself - plus a number of other great even if unreliable sportscars. The S2K seems to combine my favorite elements of all these cars. The metallic scream of the GTV6, the solid feel of a Boxster and the smoothness and durability of a Honda. Oh, and my other newfound favorite element - a great transmission! I bought my '01 S2k used through the Honda certified car program for $24k. It had 17k miles and came with a 100k warranty. I'm sure it will see some depreciation but I don't really mind because I plan to keep the car long term. I would best describe the S2k as an Alfa Spider gone ballistic. I've always been a fan of open top cars and small displacement motors that pack a wallop!

I also went through a phase where I was seriously considering buying an NSX. My price range (around 30k) would have restricted me to a fairly high mileage 91-92. These cars had some issues such as 2nd gear snap ring failures (usually sorted out by now) and rapid tire wear but nothing major relative to other exotics - a number of people use them as their only daily driver! I think the odometer readings you'll see on these cars says alot about them - its not uncommon to see them with 150k on the clock (compare that to your average same year Lotus!). All in all, I wouldn't be too concerned about a carefully purchased NSX.

My best recommendation would be to drive both and decide based on your driving style and desired use for the car.

-Stephen

Thanks

Thanks again to all of you, the information is very helpful. Thanks Stephen, you seem to have had many of the same cars I have had. I'm considering everyone's opinion, and I appreciate the diversity of information as well.

As many of you know, I am fortunate enough to have both the NSX and the S2000. They are both wonderful cars but more different than alike. Sure they are both Hondas (reliable, tight, well-built, etc, etc) but I think an early NSX( if well bought) will hold its
value better than a brand-new S2000. I don't own a Targa but have driven one and don't think it is the same convertible experience as an S2000. If you are looking for a reliable, quick and agile iteration of the classic european roadster it's the choice.
(Spend some time on S2ki.com to learn more about the pros and cons of the car). If you are looking for a reliable mid-engine exotic
I can't think of a better choice than the NSX. If you are certain you want a Ferrari, have you considered the 328's or 348's? I haven't had the pleasure of driving any Ferrari but there are several members of this board who own both Ferrari's and NSX's
(MyNSX for one). Good luck, ultimately it's a visceral (and not always logical) decision!

Thanks

I very much appreciate the help and suggestions on my car quest. I'm very close to making the final decision, but with your help I'm trying to stretch my finances to get the NSX

Back