USB Drive and Portable MP3 Player

i got IRIVER mp3 player and it works great.. I use it when i'm running, lifting, and riding bikes.. works great when traveling and waiting at the airport or during my flight.

tararan, thanks for your response. Does the IRIVER have a built in USB connection like the Nomad MuVo I posted above? Or do you have to plug in a USB Cable?

I prefer to have the USB connector built in (like a USB Storage Key)... that way I don't have to tug along additional cables. I want to attach it to my keychain and use it for USB Storage and MP3 playback.

yeah mine has a USB cable in it.

sorry i misunderstood your first post. when you said
I want an MP3 player that is also a USB Drive.

i thought you meant you connect it by USB cable instead of being a USB drive itself...

First, of course I will qualify my response by saying I 'work for' iRiver :D

All of the iRiver flash players can be used as a portable drive, with no drivers necessary, however they all require a USB cable for connectivity (one benefit with the iFP-300 series is that they use a very standard mini-B connector that is compatible with many (Canon, etc.) digital cameras and other small devices.

To be fair, CL is currently shipping a new Muvo device that has the direct USB connection at 256MB, Rio is also shipping a 256MB version sans cable.

It does depend on your use needs for sure, one reason we have stayed away from the direct connection is that it allows us to do two important things:

1) Put a (relatively) large, backlit display on the device
2) Use a standard AA battery

Both of the above can be convenience items (i.e. with 256MB worth of music, it's nice to be able to browse them by title with a nice display and using a common AA, you can exchange your battery easily when travelling, etc.).

As a side note, in the past I have extended a discount to those NSXPrime members that are interested and would continue to do so if you do become interested in an iRiver piece ('PM' me if that is the case).

Good luck with your MP3 hunting :D

How about the iPod?

I don't work for Apple, but my iPod is one of the best products I've ever purchased.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

It supports FireWire and USB 2.0.

Specs: PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.04, or Windows-certified FireWire or USB 2.0 card; Windows Me, Windows 2000 or Windows XP Home or Professional; CD includes MUSICMATCH Jukebox Plus 7.5 software.

-Jim

Ipod for NSX

Ipods are the best!

I am wondering if anyone knows how I can hook up my ipod to my stock NSX Bose stereo. I do not have a cd player and I would think the cd player harness/input wires would be adaptable for a mini plug preamp input. (Cassette converters suck)

Has anyone done this? :confused:

Unfortunately the iTrip (and the others too) sucks even more than the cassette adapter. At least the cassette adapter provides a direct connection.

I too would like to discover an easy way to hook up an Aux input for the standard Bose head unit.

Has anyone hacked the cables?

-Jim

This is another solution for the stock NSX setup:

http://www.phatnoise.com/

It replaces the 6 disc changer and works with audio feedback to locate tracks, actually pretty slick. And no, I don't work for Phatnoise too :p

Then you have a docking station that synchs up with your music on your machine (PC/Mac) for constant refueling.

JS

phatnoise

Thanks for that phatnoise tip. Do you have one installed? Does it interface with the same MusicMatch software that ipod uses? How big is it?

Thanks, Bruce

I don't have one installed, but I just might do it.

I met with the guy who designed it recently and was impressed with the way it works without having to replace a head unit (regardless of what you have). Since it emulates a CD changer and uses audible navigation, it's pretty slick.

It is about the size of a disc change in the car, and the 'cartridge' (which is a 2.5" HDD of various capacities) removes and docks to the PC/Mac.

As most all flavors of Music Match are interchangeable with the right device plugin, my guess is that it would work in the same way you are used to using Music Match otherwise. It also has it's own proprietary application which seems very reasonable also.

JS

Back