Unofficial Thread - How Honda Failed NSX & Vice Versa

NSXGMS said:
Then why make an inherently inefficient 2-seater? Why throw your hat in the super-competitive exotic ring? Why put any money whatsoever into Formula One?

Honda was conceived from a racing heritage so racing has always been a part of Honda. When they did enter the exotic genre they weren't after the competition, they were chasing a dream. And the dream was to manufacture a supercar with all the Honda standards and performance that rivals the opposition. They suceeded and then some.

NSXGMS said:
Why did Honda develop a V6 in the first place? It's more inefficient that a 4cyl, right? Come on, the NSX isn't efficient--it's the most inefficient car Honda ever made. But it's relativley efficient--compared to the competition. Honda has already committed to developing a V10. Why? That's inefficient--but Honda's still going to do it. Why do you think that is?

The C30A motor is not Honda's most inefficient motor. Its the C35. The C30A and C32B are almost like hybrid motors with its low end efficiency and high end power. Compared to the competition equiped with V8's and turbos. Now Honda is developing a V10 because the exotic world totally up'ed the par and time will only tell what will unravel. Who know's it might be a hybrid V10? We are all aware of Honda's capabilities and passion to inovate, so we'll see.

NSXGMS said:
I don't believe Honda's approach to the NSX was efficiency. It may have been relative efficiency, or "let's be as efficient as we can," but it was not pure efficiency. If you want to be efficient go play in another sandbox. You're in the exotic car sandbox now. Honda knew that.

Efficiency is exactly what they wanted to bring in the exotic game, which it was lacking and is still lacking, build quality wise and quality consistency. I think the competition should play in Honda's sandbox.

NSXGMS said:
Again, I have no problem with Honda developing the NSX. But to leave it hanging in the breeze for 15 years is irresponsible and self-defeating. If Honda had discontinued it in 1994 it surely would be legendary and Honda could walk away with their heads high. Just like Ford will with the GT.

I partially agree with you. I think the reason for neglect this is to prove its longevity, which it already has.

NSXGMS said:
I don't think you appreciate how ruthless and how rapidly changing the automotive world is. Strictly speaking the NSX was outdated by 1995. The Supra had already become the most powerful Japanese car and was just as daily driveable and comfortable than the NSX and F355 almost equalled the NSX on every level (except reliablilty, of course). The 996TT was no slouch and the 997 was around the corner as was the C5 Vette. Scary stuff....

Supra is not and exotic nor is the C5 vette and can't out handle the NSX on the track. totally different class. The F355 matched the NSX on all the other aspects but no cigar. Even 360 Modena/CS is still outclassed on the track by the NSX-R

NSXGMS said:
Also, ask any modern car designer how outdated the NSX looks. We may think it's beautiful, and it is, but the simple facts are that the design is old, the performance numbers have been eclipsed by just about every other exotic in the past 8 years and it is not the same package/philosophy as delivered in 1991. The 2005 NSX may be a great value and the best NSX ever but take it for what it is. A 1991 car with a lot of band-aids.

Designer deshminer! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We think its beautiful and so does the many pedestrians and motorist rubber necking

NSXGMS said:
Indeed, Michael Jordan's game evolved very progressively throughout his career. He was able to stay so good so long because of it. There comes a time when experience makes up for losing a step physically. He became much more of a defensive player sacrificing fast-break points. Towards the end, he was still one of the best players on the court, but nearly every commentator called for his retirement. It was time. He wasn't the best in the game anymore.

Ok I take back my MJ anology :biggrin:

enesexdreamer said:
Supra is not and exotic nor is the C5 vette and can't out handle the NSX on the track. totally different class. The F355 matched the NSX on all the other aspects but no cigar. Even 360 Modena/CS is still outclassed on the track by the NSX-R

Dude, stop watching those BM videos, that will just rot your brain. :rolleyes:.

Way back in early 2000 Road and Track had a test where they tested a bunch of sport cars at Thundehill Raceway in Willows CA, the NA2 NSX was only able to pull a laptime in the high 2:14's the 360 Modena was in the 2:07's, 7 seconds on a 3 mile roadcourse is huge :eek:

BTW: Do you even track your NSX? or are you just another one of those bench racers who plays Playstation 2 and pretends to be driving a NSX-R at the track?

enesexdreamer said:
The C30A motor is not Honda's most inefficient motor. Its the C35. The C30A and C32B are almost like hybrid motors with its low end efficiency and high end power. Compared to the competition equiped with V8's and turbos. Now Honda is developing a V10 because the exotic world totally up'ed the par and time will only tell what will unravel. Who know's it might be a hybrid V10? We are all aware of Honda's capabilities and passion to inovate, so we'll see.

I'm not talking about the motor per se; the fact that the NSX is a 2-seater coupled with the C30 makes it overall the most ineffecient car Honda has produced. It certainly was the most efficient exotic--but true "efficiency" can't be found in any exotic or the NSX. The Civic Hybrid is efficient.

enesexdreamer said:
Efficiency is exactly what they wanted to bring in the exotic game, which it was lacking and is still lacking, build quality wise and quality consistency. I think the competition should play in Honda's sandbox

The competition re-built the sandbox to Honda's specs and moved it. Honda wasn't paying attention and sat playing in the old one alone while everyone reminisced about how great that sandbox used to be 15 years ago.

enesexdreamer said:
I partially agree with you. I think the reason for neglect this is to prove its longevity, which it already has.

I think this is a naive assertion. The C32 and the 6-speed were introduced to make the NSX a better car. No new car had pop-up headlights other than the Vette that I can think of. Honda would be contradicting itself. It's obvious to me that Honda just didn't get around to the NSX. Now we are able to look at the NSX from start to finish and the upgrade pattern just doesn't make sense.

enesexdreamer said:
Supra is not and exotic nor is the C5 vette and can't out handle the NSX on the track. totally different class. The F355 matched the NSX on all the other aspects but no cigar. Even 360 Modena/CS is still outclassed on the track by the NSX-R.

You are correct. The point is that non-exotics should not be upstaging the NSX. The C5 ZO6 was superior to the NSX. The 360CS is also superior to the NSX. The NSX-R wasn't offered here, another mistake by Honda.

enesexdreamer said:
Designer deshminer! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We think its beautiful and so does the many pedestrians and motorist rubber necking

I agree and tried to argue your side before and lost...

2slow2speed said:

Way back in early 2000 Road and Track had a test where they tested a bunch of sport cars at Thundehill Raceway in Willows CA, the NA2 NSX was only able to pull a laptime in the high 2:14's the 360 Modena was in the 2:07's, 7 seconds on a 3 mile roadcourse is huge :eek:

BTW: Do you even track your NSX? or are you just another one of those bench racers who plays Playstation 2 and pretends to be driving a NSX-R at the track?

Dude, Thunderhill Raceway is a high speed track, there is no way an NSX can compete with a 360. I was reffering to handling. Even with 15 years old technology/chassis the NSX is still up to par handling wise.

And yes im a bench racer that plays PS2, hoping to track my car one day. Judging by your avatar, it seem as though you track your car. Any pointers for a novice? I drive my car daily, so its safe to say that I know its limits, strong points, and weaknesses. One day.:smile:

2slow2speed said:

hey, i love BM! it's the only remaining satisfaction i get from nsx pride, always hang tough 'til the end before it overheats, ALWAYS!:confused: makes you feel good about our car, it can still hang! (which is also kind of sad when you think about it) but at the same time, makes you wonder, now what if....(which is kind of upsetting for some)

and i love t-hill! but 7 sec?!!! R&D should've strap you in the cockpit, maybe you can shave a second or 2.:biggrin:

also i love PS2 too!! how else us posers can get to "experience" the "awesome" Type-R!:eek:

on the other hand, honda's marketing team have done a pretty good number on mr. dreamer with his still strong wishful thinking. one thing for sure, we were all like once like you!

Last edited:
NSXGMS said:
I'm not talking about the motor per se; the fact that the NSX is a 2-seater coupled with the C30 makes it overall the most ineffecient car Honda has produced. It certainly was the most efficient exotic--but true "efficiency" can't be found in any exotic or the NSX. The Civic Hybrid is efficient.

Thats exactly what I mean. What exotic car can you can say is efficient? The supercar world is all about HP, dramatic styling, heritage, blah, blah, blah. But Honda threw in efficiency. Which no exotic car manufacturer ever matched or surpassed. Is there a book where it says an exotic has to be a certain criteria? The NSX is just as efficient as the current accord if not driven hard.

NSXGMS said:
The competition re-built the sandbox to Honda's specs and moved it. Honda wasn't paying attention and sat playing in the old one alone while everyone reminisced about how great that sandbox used to be 15 years ago.

Honda specs, How?? reliability is never matched. HP #s yeah. And thanks to the NSX the ferraris we know today is alot more refined. Show me a daily drivable ferrari, or one with over 100k miles. Talk about supercars, the NSX is a supercar! Whats so super about having a car thats worth a home thats always in the shop for repairs? Or your too scared to drive it in fear of a breakdown. Thats not Honda standards/specs, thats a headache.

randomharmony said:
on the other hand, honda's marketing team have done a pretty good number on mr. dreamer with his still strong wishful thinking. one thing for sure, we were all like once like you!

:confused: wishful thinking? what am I being wishful about? I call it what it is.
And if you were once like me, what made you change?

-------------------------Off Topic-----------------------------------------

I play PS2 as well:biggrin:. Where else can you blast down the track without fear of hurting yourself or anyone else.

GT4 is more fun, but it doesn't sound real. I like Forza more since the sound of the cars are more authentic, especially for NSX (Wuwuwawawa.......). Sounds just like real life, F355s and Carrera GT have that F1 sound. Slap on a turbo, you get the turbo spooling whistle sound and blow off sound. SC NSX have that same CTSC whine.

NSX-R is so amazing in this game. Just like real life, you can mod it and beat cars that are more powerful, it handles like dream. Its a great game and any car nuts can pick up and play. Can't wait for the Xbox360 version. I would buy Xbox 360 just for this game.

enesexdreamer said:
Honda specs, How?? reliability is never matched. HP #s yeah. And thanks to the NSX the ferraris we know today is alot more refined. Show me a daily drivable ferrari, or one with over 100k miles. Talk about supercars, the NSX is a supercar! Whats so super about having a car thats worth a home thats always in the shop for repairs? Or your too scared to drive it in fear of a breakdown. Thats not Honda standards/specs, thats a headache.

The automotive world learned from Honda and progressed past it. There's no doubt Ferraris wouldn't be as reliable as they are today if the NSX hadn't raised the bar. The F430 is light years away from where they used to be. As far as comfort and daily driveablity the F430 is pretty darn amazing. Have you ever been in one? How about a 360? The F430 is what the NSX should be. Drive an NSX or a F348 and then an F430 on the track and you'll see first hand 15 years of progress.

Ferrari will never be as reliable as Honda. If you haven't figured it out already Ferrari, Lambo etc. don't care what happens to their cars after 3 or 4 years. They build cars for the super wealthy who want to drive a Ferrari because of the little horse or bull on it then trade up to the new model. Honda doesn't have that luxury. Their cars must last.

enesexdreamer said:
Dude, Thunderhill Raceway is a high speed track, there is no way an NSX can compete with a 360. I was reffering to handling. Even with 15 years old technology/chassis the NSX is still up to par handling wise.

And yes im a bench racer that plays PS2, hoping to track my car one day. Judging by your avatar, it seem as though you track your car. Any pointers for a novice? I drive my car daily, so its safe to say that I know its limits, strong points, and weaknesses. One day.:smile:

I was just pointing out a well documented case at Thunderhill Raceway. (BTW: Thill is not really a high speed track, a spec Miata racecar can do 2:06~2:07's and they are way underpowered compared to a NSX, when people mention high speed tracks, tracks like Willow Springs, Road America, VIR, Laguna Seca, etc, come to mind)

A good driver on a stock F360 will be able to obtain lower laptimes than the same driver on a NA2 NSX on *99%* of the tracks, period.

The F360 outhandles the NSX in accelaration/braking/cornering speed.

Hopefully you are smart enough to figure out that figures like lateral accelaration correlate directly to cornering speeds which in turn leads to lower laptimes too. Look at the lateral g's that a NSX can pull vs what a F360 can, also look at the slalom speeds as well.

Handling is relative, perhaps when the NSX came out 15 years ago it might have been at the top of the world in regards to handling, since then there have been plenty of cars that can outhandle it.

Yep, used to be a total track whore doing 3 to 4 events a month a while back. Been on track with plenty of F355/F355 Challenge/F360/F360CS/F550/F575/F430, even with my heavily modified NSX it was a real challenge to keep up with many of them, so I *know* what the NSX is capable of doing against them.

All I can say is that the F360 is on a different level than the NSX and the F430 is on a whole level on top of the F360. Honda hasn't been in the game for a long long while..... :mad:

enesexdreamer said:
And if you were once like me, what made you change?

For me it was being able to see the NSX project as a whole after 2005, understanding their philosophy from the beginning and the utter failure of Honda to give us NSX lovers anything including an HSC on time. Now all we have are vague statements from Honda, no news and front-engined RL-mutants to look forward to.

I had to suffer through countless articles in just about every publication on Earth dogging the NSX as a poser because there it was against all the big boys and constantly failing to measure up. When you keep producing a car you keep getting tested, especially when the debut of your car was a big F-you to every exotic car out there (the most ruthless, aggressive class.) The car world kept expecting a competitive NSX based on it's initial philosophy and didn't get it.

As for me, I'm looking forward to the real NSX replacement. What I'm interested in is Honda's inital philosophy and hope they raise the bar again.

The bottom line is this: Honda raised the bar, yes, but then the bar was raised on them. Many times. By virtue of continuing to produce the NSX instead of limiting it's run it made itself a target. Yes, nealry each year the NSX changed but each change went as an unnoticed band-aid.

Am I proud of the NSXs competitiveness over it's lifespan? You bet. It's nothing short of amazing. We're not talking about how great the NSX was. We all know that. But that doesn't excuse Honda over the last 10 years. All it does is make me marvel at Honda's work from 1986-1991. You're trying to say that the NSX was a limited production that lasted 15 years! I don't buy that from you or Honda.

I don't know what to say anymore.....Im all out of rebuttals :tongue:

The million dollar question? Is the NSX a 'great' car? Great as in despite its lacks, great enough to be in the supercar/exotic hall of fame? Your hall of fame? Lets keep it as that.

Yes, without a doubt. The original car's brilliance among its peers coupled with its amazing relative competitiveness over its lifespan make it, IMO, the greatest all-around regular production sports car ever.

Another way I see it is, there is no replacement. The NSX is Honda's tribute to their dominating years in formula1 in the late 80's and early 90's(kind of like a trophy car which also dominated the exotic scene) with input from the greatest f1 pilot. In 94 Senna wasn't with Mclaren/Honda, he was racing for Renault/Williams. Perhaps if Honda was still dominating formula1 throughout the years we could of seem some progress with the NSX, no? When Alex Zanardi won the Indy Cart championship in 98 driving a Honda powered car, Honda realeased the limited Zanardi edition. To tribute his success. not much of an update, but regardless the fastest NSX model in 99. See where im getting at?

Whatever Honda comes up with in the future, Im sure it would be inovating. but it won't have a rich racing heritage.

Bear said:
This is where Porsche hits a homer. The 911. Evolution personified. It simply keeps getting better. It sells very well. It's the Honda Accord of sports cars. A super car but not a 'supercar'. It's made Porsche one of the most profitable companies on earth...

Just like to point out that this statement is incorrect... First of all Porsche are not "one of the most profitable companies on earth" not even close!

Secondly, Porsche only started making real profit when they produced the Cayenne... which is not a 911 derivative nor is it even a sportscar...

NSXGMS said:
For me it was being able to see the NSX project as a whole after 2005, understanding their philosophy from the beginning and the utter failure of Honda to give us NSX lovers anything including an HSC on time. Now all we have are vague statements from Honda, no news and front-engined RL-mutants to look forward to.

I had to suffer through countless articles in just about every publication on Earth dogging the NSX as a poser because there it was against all the big boys and constantly failing to measure up. When you keep producing a car you keep getting tested, especially when the debut of your car was a big F-you to every exotic car out there (the most ruthless, aggressive class.) The car world kept expecting a competitive NSX based on it's initial philosophy and didn't get it.

As for me, I'm looking forward to the real NSX replacement. What I'm interested in is Honda's inital philosophy and hope they raise the bar again.

The bottom line is this: Honda raised the bar, yes, but then the bar was raised on them. Many times. By virtue of continuing to produce the NSX instead of limiting it's run it made itself a target. Yes, nealry each year the NSX changed but each change went as an unnoticed band-aid.

Am I proud of the NSXs competitiveness over it's lifespan? You bet. It's nothing short of amazing. We're not talking about how great the NSX was. We all know that. But that doesn't excuse Honda over the last 10 years. All it does is make me marvel at Honda's work from 1986-1991. You're trying to say that the NSX was a limited production that lasted 15 years! I don't buy that from you or Honda.
Ask the F40 owners, if they will trade their car for a F50, or Enzo? Most of them will tell you no!!! Because the F40 is what it is. It is not an F50 (F1 car wanna be), nor it is an Enzo (Technical wonder that is still a bit short of the McLaren F1, after how many years?)

Very few cars out there has NONE-REPLACEABLE VIRUTES. Car such as the F40, 959, and NSX. If Ferrari chooses to bring back the F40, I bet you they will sell more of it than let’s say, F430. It is what it is – Simple and yet fast. No TCS, no ABS, no assisted steering/brakes, etc.

Replacement may not be better; for example, 97 and up Prelude, I would take that over the RSX any day.

Honda keep the NSX for 15 years because it is what it is, a perfect car. It is Honda engineer’s dream car and they don’t want it to end. Regardless how many they sold; it is still a company pride. Knowing the fact that in it’s highest for without tweaking much to the engine and chassis, it can still compete with the best of the best in its class, and beat them- after 15 years.

I hate to tell you this way, but the car is fast enough. If you want it faster, CTSC will solve the issue and you will not loose the handling aspect of the car. There is not a car on planet I would rather drive on the daily basis other than the NSX, because it is easy to live with, cheap to maintain (when compare to P/F cars), and above all, reliable as frack…. The only problem I have is that Honda did not bring their JDM models over such as the True Type S/R.

It is very interesting to see Porsche was finally able built a car that is truly on par or better than the NSX, after releasing the 2005 997 Carrera S - When NSX is finally at it’s final year of production, and yet still having problem out run the NSX on the track (Best Motoring Video).

For all of us who get to own a late model NSX are very privileged. And for those who jumped into the game by getting an earlier model get to have a taste of the word “Best.”
Forget the fact that you have more selections now – Many new models have surpassed the NSX in acceleration, but none is better as a package – unless you spend at least twice the money. The law of diminishing returns.

Do you truly think you will be happy with the HSC if Honda released it? I doubt it, because it is not a huge step forward from the NSX. Honda did the right thing for killing the NSX name. Now we all know there is going to be a V10, we know Honda will once again, pull the trigger and produce a car that will be nothing short of amazement. I'm sure of it. BUT, it will still not be an NSX.

Imagine you married a young girl, your dream girl, who is smart, beautiful, low maintenance, and some one who knows how to keep her beauty for years to come…. Are you really going to stand in line to find another one, when the marriage is perfect, just because she is getting older?

Vancehu said:
Ask the F40 owners, if they will trade their car for a F50, or Enzo? Most of them will tell you no!!! Because the F40 is what it is. It is not an F50 (F1 car wanna be), nor it is an Enzo (Technical wonder that is still a bit short of the McLaren F1, after how many years?)

Very few cars out there has NONE-REPLACEABLE VIRUTES. Car such as the F40, 959, and NSX. If Ferrari chooses to bring back the F40, I bet you they will sell more of it than let’s say, F430. It is what it is – Simple and yet fast. No TCS, no ABS, no assisted steering/brakes, etc.

Replacement may not be better; for example, 97 and up Prelude, I would take that over the RSX any day.

Honda keep the NSX for 15 years because it is what it is, a perfect car. It is Honda engineer’s dream car and they don’t want it to end. Regardless how many they sold; it is still a company pride. Knowing the fact that in it’s highest for without tweaking much to the engine and chassis, it can still compete with the best of the best in its class, and beat them- after 15 years.

I hate to tell you this way, but the car is fast enough. If you want it faster, CTSC will solve the issue and you will not loose the handling aspect of the car. There is not a car on planet I would rather drive on the daily basis other than the NSX, because it is easy to live with, cheap to maintain (when compare to P/F cars), and above all, reliable as frack…. The only problem I have is that Honda did not bring their JDM models over such as the True Type S/R.

It is very interesting to see Porsche was finally able built a car that is truly on par or better than the NSX, after releasing the 2005 997 Carrera S - When NSX is finally at it’s final year of production, and yet still having problem out run the NSX on the track (Best Motoring Video).

For all of us who get to own a late model NSX are very privileged. And for those who jumped into the game by getting an earlier model get to have a taste of the word “Best.”
Forget the fact that you have more selections now – Many new models have surpassed the NSX in acceleration, but none is better as a package – unless you spend at least twice the money. The law of diminishing returns.

Do you truly think you will be happy with the HSC if Honda released it? I doubt it, because it is not a huge step forward from the NSX. Honda did the right thing for killing the NSX name. Now we all know there is going to be a V10, we know Honda will once again, pull the trigger and produce a car that will be nothing short of amazement. I'm sure of it. BUT, it will still not be an NSX.

Imagine you married a young girl, your dream girl, who is smart, beautiful, low maintenance, and some one who knows how to keep her beauty for years to come…. Are you really going to stand in line to find another one, when the marriage is perfect, just because she is getting older?

I respect your position and opinion very much, Vance, and won't argue with it.

My point of view and humble opinion is simply that Honda's upgrades to the NSX seemed to indicate a willingness to upgrade but at the same time a lack of R&D and attention. I just don't see how introducing the changes one era earlier would have done anything but helped. The 6-speed and C32 were introduced just way too late. I think you either introduce those upgrades on time or not at all.

I can totally accept your point of view that the NSX is perfection. But to say that Honda didn't drop the ball, just a little bit, would be ignorant IMO.

I really believe my opinion is born out of a love for the NSX and Honda though. I just wanted to see the NSX and Honda triumph always and I just feel now, looking back on the entire NSX lifespan as we are able to do now, that Honda kind of let us down...I could be wrong but that's the way I feel and that's the truth for me.

I have no problem with Honda killing the NSX name. Let it be immortalized. And I pray you are right about the next Honda supercar. :biggrin:

Vancehu said:

Vance,

you have some good points, and i believe in monogamy, but to a car :eek: is a bit stretching it.:biggrin:

Who cares about the new NSX, we all have our own "REAL" NSX to be proud of and enjoy future appreciation of our cars and the fact that it's an "NSX". Not many can say that about their vehicles. I'm happy Honda fuc*ed up, Now all i have to do is get 500+WHP and blow the doors off these new supercars that are doing the right thing these days. Looks wise, we got it made. Honda already succeeded 15 years ago now i think it's up to us to modify our own NSX's to what they can potentially become.

cheers to everyone, and relax. The NSX is my dream car and i am an owner at a very young age because of alot of work.
just my .02
Tom

tcomegna said:
Who cares about the new NSX, we all have our own "REAL" NSX to be proud of and enjoy future appreciation of our cars and the fact that it's an "NSX". Not many can say that about their vehicles. I'm happy Honda fuc*ed up, Now all i have to do is get 500+WHP and blow the doors off these new supercars that are doing the right thing these days. Looks wise, we got it made. Honda already succeeded 15 years ago now i think it's up to us to modify our own NSX's to what they can potentially become.

cheers to everyone, and relax. The NSX is my dream car and i am an owner at a very young age because of alot of work.
just my .02
Tom

Im on your boat Tom. Thats what the eXperimental means to me. The chassis design is so ahead of its time, that even now when upgraded whether its a Comtech SC, Turbos, NA 3.5/3.8, whatever floats your boat or pocket can handle, the NSX is 'still' a contender. And no matter how old, it still looks like a New Sportscar. lets all keep eXperimenting.:smile:

enesexdreamer thanks for your support, much appreciated i just hope others realize as well. Anyone else agree with us? This topic should be renamed to "The joys that Honda Fuc*ed up"

cheers again
Tom

:biggrin:

Hey Vance,

Do you still have any body parts left? lol =p

With all the goodies and aftermarket parts for the NSX. The car can still be competitive with Turbos, SC, and for people like Jon Martin and with the assistance of AEM for developing the 3.3L-3.8L stroker motor.....ironic that some NSX/Owner enthusiast had to do what Honda should have done.

Back