• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Type R gauge set replica

BD

Legendary Member
I have worked out a deal with a Japanese vender to produce “up to” 10 Type R gauge faceplate replicas. We will keep the production to no more than 10. This project will include the speedo in MPH.

The shift lights will not be functional, because only Type R ECU will make it work, therefore, you can’t get it even if you try. There will be two high quality dummy light stickers. You can have some one else to make the shift lights, but will be very costly.

See post #43 below for more information.

Last edited:
How are you going to swap the needles?
Do these faces slide over the old face without removing needles?

Just a couple notes since we've been down this road. Hope this helps.

1. the needles are very delicate. Even very small movements in the gauge's needle rod will damage the gauge. You'll want to work with a speedo shop that has done this before. Special equipment is required.
2. the gauge face's rear must be imprinted in gradient to replicate the factory gauge face. If this is not done, the gauges will not illuminate correctly.

take care,
-- Chris

pbassjo said:
How are you going to swap the needles?
Do these faces slide over the old face without removing needles?
We can do the swap for you, but you will have to mail the entire gauge over.

*deep thinking*

Very-very interesting Vance! I'm gonna ponder this further. :cool:

One of my biggest qualms w/ the NSX was the 180mph speedo'. I see the modified NSX-R gauge will also be 180mph... :frown:

the needles are anything but delicate.
i popped all 6 needles of mine off with a fork without damaging any parts.
the needles went back on without a problem and the cluster worked perfectly and accurately.

you dont need a speedo shop to calibrate.
just some electronics commonly found on ricer cars.

this is a super easy DIY.
just because no one from this nsx board has tackled this before doesnt mean its hard. every other forum has done this mod with ease.

porsche
lexus
mr2
supra
civic
bmw etc...

Chris@SoS said:
Just a couple notes since we've been down this road. Hope this helps.

1. the needles are very delicate. Even very small movements in the gauge's needle rod will damage the gauge. You'll want to work with a speedo shop that has done this before. Special equipment is required.
2. the gauge face's rear must be imprinted in gradient to replicate the factory gauge face. If this is not done, the gauges will not illuminate correctly.

take care,
-- Chris

You hear that??? Please only participate on this thread if you like to get a set. EVO575 knows his stuff, I watch him work o the speedo on numerous occasions.

evof575gtc said:

What electonics? What is their function?

evof575gtc said:
just because no one from this nsx board has tackled this before doesnt mean its hard.

It has been "tackled" before.

To send you the gauges, including install what is the final price?

Any warranty if the gauges are damaged during install?

Do they replace the face or go over the face? Do they illuminate from behind?

Thanks.

evof575gtc said:
the needles are anything but delicate.
i popped all 6 needles of mine off with a fork without damaging any parts.
the needles went back on without a problem and the cluster worked perfectly and accurately.

you dont need a speedo shop to calibrate.

this is a super easy DIY.
just because no one from this nsx board has tackled this before doesnt mean its hard. every other forum has done this mod with ease.

I disagree completely about the gauges being "anything but delicate". I work with delicate parts all of the time, and I had the misfortune of ruining a couple of my gauges when installing some new overlays. It wound up being a very expensive mistake.

So, I HAVE tackled this before, and my sentiments follow close in line with Chris@SOS on this one. Unless you want to buy new gauges, I'd leave this up to the professionals. I learned my lesson, as have many others.

Is POPDESIGN! providing the parts? Since we are doing Type R replica faces, I'd want them to be as close to the Type R as possible...

- Delete both Cruise and TCS lights
- 300 KPH speedo
- Remove "Premium Unleaded Fuel Only" lettering
10487R_guages.JPG

Is this an option or are the faces "as shown" only?

Vancehu said:
You hear that??? Please only participate on this thread if you like to get a set. EVO575 knows his stuff, I watch him work o the speedo on numerous occasions.

I don't want to get a set but I think that was VERY rude to come down on Chris in that manner. He wasn't bad mouthing you or your offer but rather trying to lend a helping hand.
May want to remember that next time you need help with something and have to come on here to ask for.

You can see what Chris is talking about with the lights being uneven here:
4291WHITEGAUGESNSX2.jpg

These were the very cool, but short lived SOS white faced gauges with blue letters:
4291WHITEGAUGESNSX.jpg

If you do a search I think you will find more people had problems with installing faces than were successful.

Good looking product you have, I think if I were going to sign up though, I would like them to have a higher reading than 180< for no other reason then not to have the smuck that says "This thing only does 180? My dads corvette has 210 on the speedo":cool: :rolleyes: :mad:
Since its a custom unit, I would think that would be an easy change, but then again, I dont make gauges, so what do I know:tongue:

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in as well... I've played with speedos and you DO have to use caution. The needles don't simply "pop" out and if you end up pulling the entire needle rod out, you might be in for a suprise when you try to put it back in and start up your car...

In any case, it's always better to side with "Caution" than to end up with expensive broken equipment...

Good looking product you have, I think if I were going to sign up though, I would like them to have a higher reading than 180< for no other reason then not to have the smuck that says "This thing only does 180? My dads corvette has 210 on the speedo":cool: :rolleyes: :mad:
Since its a custom unit, I would think that would be an easy change, but then again, I dont make gauges, so what do I know:tongue:
The problem with speedo over 180 is, the internal parts will have to be altered, which will drive up the cost. Considering where the cost is right now, I have no plan to do that. If I can get 25 people to do this, it will cover the R & D, but I have so far, only two commitments, so I don’t’ think it will be worth to do the conversion. By the way, the car will never be driven over 170.

We have concluded that everything should be USDM standard, so we did a direct speedo face transfer. “Premium unleaded only” will be on it - It will be identical to the USDM gauge set, but with Type R CF Print, orange numbers, and yellow needles.
pbassjo said:
To send you the gauges, including install what is the final price?

Any warranty if the gauges are damaged during install?

Do they replace the face or go over the face? Do they illuminate from behind?

Thanks.

The gauge face plates will replace the existing plates. OEM fitment. As for installation, I have consulted my tech, he will install the parts onto your gauge for $200 bucks plus return shipping, and the job is guaranteed. You will however, have to pull the gauge and send it to me. If you are in Southern California, we can arrange for local installation.

92NSX said:
I don't want to get a set but I think that was VERY rude to come down on Chris in that manner. He wasn't bad mouthing you or your offer but rather trying to lend a helping hand.
May want to remember that next time you need help with something and have to come on here to ask for.

One more thing, start with you Chris of SOS, 92NSX, if you do not wish to participate with the purchase, please don’t post in this thread. I have contact the Prim administrator to remove any none related posts. I don’t need you guys to potentially confuse any one with information that is deemed somewhat unreliable. Yes, I came with that conclusion when you couldn’t even answer my questions regarding the fitment of the Fujitsubo header, and tried to sell me a SOS header instead. Not every one is a fan of SOS, there is a good reason I didn’t purchase any of my Type R parts from you guys. Get the clue?

lithiumus said:
I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in as well... I've played with speedos and you DO have to use caution. The needles don't simply "pop" out and if you end up pulling the entire needle rod out, you might be in for a suprise when you try to put it back in and start up your car...

In any case, it's always better to side with "Caution" than to end up with expensive broken equipment...

Took me over 9 months to complete this gauge project, we have taken apart the prototype parts on numerous occasions. We are very comfortable with it. Precision comes with experience.

In the past 9 months, We have pulled the gauge, separated the parts, and exchanged many shipments with my Japanese friend. Many different speedo faces were created as sample. We have decided the OEM style is still the best way to go, this is the only way you don’t have to mess with the internal of the speedo, and it is easy to install. You don’t have pay more for altered internal parts, and you get to keep the Cruise Control light. I have solved every problem we have encountered – so far.

This is not a profit project. I just want to share with people what I have come up with. Took me a long time to decide if I should share this secret, but I have decided to share this with those who are doing the Type R conversion. Most of you probably know by reading my Type R conversion thread, I don’t mess around with cheap parts; I will only install JDM, best fit, best quality parts into my car. I’m also sure that you guys know that this is the last piece of puzzle to complete the Type R look. Everything else are fairly easy to come by.

By next weekend, I will have the final prototype/First production type install into my car, and I will post the finish product photos when I get them next week. Hang in there.

Last edited:
These are the photos for "final" prototypes that is being shipped to me. I'm excited!!!

13449DSC00115.JPG

13449DSC00111.JPG

13449DSC00107.JPG

13449DSC00106.JPG

13449DSC00105.JPG

13449DSC00104.JPG

13449DSC00103.JPG

The suggestions were to help both you and your customers as we used to manufacture these gauges over lays. Really nice looking pieces and wanted to share my experience to make yours the best. Positive advice, not to be taken otherwise. Not sure what you're talking about with Fujitsubo header? You asked if they would fit your car, I told you that there was no application to my knowledge and provided an alternative. If you have some other issue with that, just hit me up, I'd like to know!

Cheers,
-- Chris

After consulting with my Japanese counterpart, he decided this following route will be easier for every one. For that, there is a new optional parts to make your needle yellow. We can vote for it, but this way is also good... I think. For those who is worry about break the gauge needles assembly. If we agree on this one, it will be 100 bucks cheaper. He just mailed my parts out today, so hopefully I'll have them by mid next week. I will post photo with them in my car.

Check it out.

13449DSC00109.JPG

13449DSC00108.JPG

Vance how is the light going to come through the needle with that sticker on it? doesn't the needle light up?

Vancehu said:
One more thing, start with you Chris of SOS, 92NSX, if you do not wish to participate with the purchase, please don’t post in this thread. I have contact the Prim administrator to remove any none related posts.

I think you have mistaken this forum for a wholly owned advertising site of your ownership. Most of the people on this forum are intelligent enough to sort through different posts and arrive at a proper conclusion, even if there is information countering a purpose of sale. I sure didn't read anything from Chris that would cause members any problems. Sure, it might make someone think twice about buying your gauges, but not by way of dragging you or your product through the mud. It was informative. You know, what most all of us utilize internet forums for.

BTW, do you really need someone to search the Vendor forum and provide a list of posts where you posted information without displaying an interest in purchase, or even a funny tidbit that had nothing to do with the Vendor's wanting to sell something?

In closing, please let us all know if Lud has jumped on your train and let you write the rules.

End rant.

You will want to hit this button
report.gif
to contact Lud to have my post removed.

lithiumus said:
Is POPDESIGN! providing the parts?

Inquiring minds want to know, is POP!DESIGN making them? They charge ~$547 for the kph kit in Japan. For the difference in price to get a MPH unit designed and delivered, and assuming they are proven out (in Japan at least...), this looks like a good deal.

Chris@SoS said:
The suggestions were to help both you and your customers as we used to manufacture these gauges over lays. Really nice looking pieces and wanted to share my experience to make yours the best. Positive advice, not to be taken otherwise. Not sure what you're talking about with Fujitsubo header? You asked if they would fit your car, I told you that there was no application to my knowledge and provided an alternative. If you have some other issue with that, just hit me up, I'd like to know!

Cheers,
-- Chris
Apparently, you didn't get the clue. I didn’t go to your thread "try" to help you; therefore, you should do the same!!! Like I said, not every one is fan of SOS, there is a large group of us here in S Cal hate you guys. I guess you do that so much that you don’t even remember out conversation and e-mails!!!

By the way, do you know why People hate you around here in S. Cal? Let’s keep it a secret!!! You steal ideas and products from others – By slap your own label on them. You have products on your website you can not get!!! DC Sports Header = SOS header, VIS Hood = SOS TYPE R hood. You created illusion by making people believe you have spend ten and thousands of dollars on R & D on “over the shelf” products by other manufactures, stuff you bought from other venders, and charge more money by covering up the original labels. You don't even have the correct information on your website on many of the products you carry… I’ll give you an example: Regarding the installation of the NSX R front chassis bar. "Bumper removal is not required" is just flat out an wrong statement.

For all I know, you will try to steal this product and sell it as SOS brand!!!

Again, go back to all of your old posts and see how many business related solicitations you have posted that is not in the vender/for sale section.

Yes, your help is not welcome.

KGP said:
You will want to hit this button
report.gif
to contact Lud to have my post removed.
I have informed him yesterday, no result yet.

All right, back to this subject.

Yes, Pop design is doing this for me. The standard kph is around 600 bucks plus international EMS. The problem with that is, you will have to recalibrate the speedo if you choose to go with kph. So are the 280 and 300kmh speedo. All parts were shipped via EMS, because it is track-able and we didn’t want to loose any valuable parts in the mail.

But anyway, the final prototype gauge set is in the mail, I will have them by mid next week, and I will have a clue if the design tolerance is OEM fit, if not, I have to send everything back and the cycle starts again. I hope not… I don’t think something like this has been done before. Pop design is really worry if this doesn’t pan out, it will damage his reputation, but at the same time, he is very confident that every thing will work out great.

Next posting will be after my set is installed into my car. If you have any questions, please PM me.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Back