• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tweeter Mount

Hi, I am looking for tweeter mounts at the bottom of the A-piller. I have gone through a lot of threads on the location of the tweeter but couldn't find a supply for the mounts ( not even Science of speed ). Pls help and thx.

tweeter.jpg

FYI if you are interested I have 2 door cards in great shape with the tweeter cut and mounted in the door panel right below that triangular piece. Looks clean and you won't need to cut that thing (which is brittle and tend to crack or lose its clips).

Pm if interested.

Posted from my iPhone

Thanks for the offer Oyagi. Unfortunately I reside in Hong Kong and therefore the shipping cost won't make it feasible.....financially.

Drifter, I have one of those MB Quart tweeter and they are slightly bigger than the triangle area :-( Also, I like to see if the is any after market part that will allow the tweeter to angle towards the driver a little bit more as the MB tweeters are just straight, like the one in the photo, but way larger in size. They are 40mm

Last edited:
Probably going to have to have something custom made. Any stereo shop should be able to build a simple set of tweeters pods and refinish them to match.

Another option, that I took was to mount in the same general area as the woofer in the door, but behind the grille.
I couldn't bring myself to "cut" anything in the door panel or sail...

When I got my speakers, I used some self adhesive Velcro to test the sound stage with various tweeter locations...(sail,upper door, mid door and then down near OEM speaker grille area)

Granted, the tweeter is more bright sounding when placed up higher in your face, but the imaging in terms of a great up front center sound was best when mounted close to the woofer, aimed slightly upwards .

When I made the mounting plate baffle for the 6.5" woofer, I used a modified circle as a template, in that I had an area just outside of the woofer to mount my tweeter, using the angle mount that came with it. I got it to perfectly aim up at the dome light area of the car. It is slightly lower and towards the front of the car in relation to the woofer, and still comes through the factory grille perfectly.

The sound is great, no feeling of empty "space" between highs and mids", and best of all, no cutting of anything. Somewhat resembles a kick panel installation.

Anyway, just another option to consider.

In another topic on installing aftermarket tweeters a long time ago, I asked the question where to connect additional tweeters when still using the OE Bose system, but never got a reaction there.
So one more attempt here: if wanting to add separate tweeters to the otherwise standard headunit/ bose speakers, where would one connect the additional tweaters???

In another topic on installing aftermarket tweeters a long time ago, I asked the question where to connect additional tweeters when still using the OE Bose system, but never got a reaction there.
So one more attempt here: if wanting to add separate tweeters to the otherwise standard headunit/ bose speakers, where would one connect the additional tweaters???

You won't get results that are worth your time or money by doing this. That is why no1 has done this.

Another option, that I took was to mount in the same general area as the woofer in the door, but behind the grille.
I couldn't bring myself to "cut" anything in the door panel or sail...

When I got my speakers, I used some self adhesive Velcro to test the sound stage with various tweeter locations...(sail,upper door, mid door and then down near OEM speaker grille area)

Granted, the tweeter is more bright sounding when placed up higher in your face, but the imaging in terms of a great up front center sound was best when mounted close to the woofer, aimed slightly upwards .

When I made the mounting plate baffle for the 6.5" woofer, I used a modified circle as a template, in that I had an area just outside of the woofer to mount my tweeter, using the angle mount that came with it. I got it to perfectly aim up at the dome light area of the car. It is slightly lower and towards the front of the car in relation to the woofer, and still comes through the factory grille perfectly.

The sound is great, no feeling of empty "space" between highs and mids", and best of all, no cutting of anything. Somewhat resembles a kick panel installation.

Anyway, just another option to consider.

Listen to Curt.

Does anyone make a premade panel to do this? Angus do you?

I mounted my tweeters in the vents by the window switch. They sound awesome and are STEALTH!

Same here. Saw some other prime members did this years ago when I did mine. Got some random L bracket at home depot and just attached them to that...

The only downfalls are
1. I heard tweeters get hotter than other components so if you run your heat extremely hot in the winter it could cause a problem??? Not sure if that's a rumor or not.

2. You can't close or really angle those vents. Not like I ever do anyways.

3. You have to drill 2 holes in the plastic I think in the vent housing itself. Not a big deal.

Stephen

This can be done by hooking the the tweeter up to the wires that go to the Bose speaker AFTER the Bose amp, but you will need a crossover to separate the signal and only allow high frequencies through.

You won't get results that are worth your time or money by doing this. That is why no1 has done this.

Not true, this used to be a popular mod on here long ago. I did it about six years ago.

What you have to do is drill a small hole in the the door unit for your new tweeter wire and use tap-ins to go from the amplifier output to a tweeter in parallel. Doesn't have to be an expensive tweeter, anything is a big improvement over OEM. It's a negligible load on the door amp, and most tweeters have a built-in highpass capacitor already.

Very cost-effective improvement. I mounted my 1" tweeter in the plastic triangular cover on the door near the a-pillar.

Dave

Thanks for giving your opinion, but due to having done this on several (non-Bose) OE systems in other cars and getting quite good results with that, I expect you will be proven wrong. :rolleyes:

On the other cars I mostly used old generation Grundig tweeters (not made anymore) as for easy connection these have the frequency filter integrated in the wires and have the possibility to either mount in a panel hole or with a separetely provided housing with adjustable mounting foot on any panel so the tweeters can be easily directed to the main listening spot (which you should, to get max result)
I found a new obsolete set some time ago and will install these when I have the time.

(was on vacation for the last week, so couldn't react sooner)

@ Mac Attack and Syndicate: thanks for the connecting info

Last edited:
Thanks for giving your opinion, but due to having done this on several (non-Bose) OE systems in other cars and getting quite good results with that, I expect you will be proven wrong. :rolleyes:

On the other cars I mostly used old generation Grundig tweeters (not made anymore) as for easy connection these have the frequency filter integrated in the wires and have the possibility to either mount in a panel hole or with a separetely provided housing with adjustable mounting foot on any panel so the tweeters can be easily directed to the main listening spot (which you should, to get max result)
I found a new obsolete set some time ago and will install these when I have the time.

(was on vacation for the last week, so couldn't react sooner)

@ Mac Attack and Syndicate: thanks for the connecting info

The original Bose speakers are out dated, old, and a pore quality by todays standards. The amps fail all the time. If you are going to pay someone to install a set of tweeters you might as well spend the extra cash to replace the OEM speakers with a component set. Even a low end aftermarket setup will have better results for the money. If you're doing this DIY yeah you could do it cheep. But I still say it's not worth you time or money. Its like polishing a turd.

1 week ago I finally got to install the additional Grundig tweeters as I did before in several other cars with non-bose stereo's.
The result is in my opinion even better than in the previously done other cars.

I took out the bose door units, opened them, connected the tweeters to the bose speaker in parallel, filed a cut-out in the bose box to exit the tweeter wire where the 2 halves of the bose box connect and sealed the cut-out with some flexible kit.
Installed the tweeters on the front plastic door triangle with double-sided tape (I always want my installs to be invisibly reversible if needed in the future with no cutting or drilling of OE parts in visible places).
These tweeters have a simple frequency filter integrated in the wiring, so they are very easy to install with no separate frequency filterbox to mount somewhere.. their frequency range is 3.000-25.000 Hz, 50 watts

As the Grundig tweeters have a pivoting base, it is possible to increase or decrease their sound intensity by pivoting them towards the driver position or back flat on the door.
The improvement in clarity and detail of the sound is impressive to say the least, had to dial the tremble setting back a bit to 1/2 setting, as it was too sharp with the headunit 3/5 tremble setting that I used before.

Conclusion: a cheap and very effective upgrade of the somewhat muffled sounding original Bose system, should have done this a long time ago...:biggrin::wink:
Took me a total of about 4 hours relaxed working to do both doors neatly.

Only downpoint in the install is having to remove the doorpanels, as it is bit of a pain IMHO to remove the door handle and I am always worried to damage or break something on them in the process.

Last edited:
Thanks. You should hear how beautiful it sounds. :biggrin:

That's actually the perfect tweeter location sonically, besides looking great aesthetically. If you are willing to cut your dash like that. :eek:

I put my tweeters in the dash...

The rest of the install can be viewed here http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129860

Nick,
Is there anything directly under the tweeters you need to be careful of when making the hole? I was planning to use a hole saw to drill the hole for the tweeter. Wondering if I need to make a stop for the drill to insure it doesn't hit anything when it breaks through. What is the dash made of at that location?

John

Nick,
Is there anything directly under the tweeters you need to be careful of when making the hole? I was planning to use a hole saw to drill the hole for the tweeter. Wondering if I need to make a stop for the drill to insure it doesn't hit anything when it breaks through. What is the dash made of at that location?

John

Anyone knows the answer to this?

Nick,

John

Hello, anyone?

John

I was planning to use a hole saw to drill the hole for the tweeter.
John

I wouldn't use a hole saw thats going to mess the leather up on the dash. I would mark the location, cut an + in the leather under the leather drill a hole making sure not to drill into anything and hand cut it using a small hand saw and file it smooth.

Back