Trying to decide... NSX or AMC Gremlin

Just don't get rear ended :eek:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Glcj0szvevU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Glcj0szvevU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ditto...those comparison threads are getting annoying as hell! Even worse are the guys who need to conduct a poll for every single modification decision (and never end up doing anything:confused:). It's your car, your money, do you really need a forum to decide for you?

Trying to decide... NSX or AMC Gremlin?

Anyone else a little sick of these threads?

I'm sure some of them are contemplating the purchase of their first exotic and are making their first visits to enthusiast message boards. They might be unprepared for the healthy dose of bias and sarcasm that awaits them.

Mary Anne!
now, Wilma or Betty?:wink:

None of the above.

jessica-rabbit.jpg

I have a soft spot for AMC's, as the first car I ever owned was a gold 1968 AMX; it had AMC's top of the line 390 V8 and a 4 speed.

For whatever reason, there were a number of AMX owners in my neighborhood, along with someone who owned both an S/C Rambler and a Rebel Machine.

AMC owners are a bit crazy - one of the AMX owners also owned an Oscar Meyer Weinermobile... :rolleyes:

My Uncle owned and raced a 68 AMX in SCCA from 69-74. My brother called me two weeks ago as he found it currently for sale on the web. The guy is asking $40k with a fresh engine. He asked me what I thought it was worth. I told him it was a POS in 1969 so.... "it's worth what ever the cost of the fresh engine." :tongue:

tar_4.jpg
tar_3.jpg
tar_2.jpg

<center> HISTORY</center> <hr align="center" size="6" width="250"> <center> Original owner - Bill Ackerman . . . Drivers - Ike Knupp, Bob Spooner & Dick Durant</center> <center> Sponsored by St. Louis American Motors Dealers, American Motors, & Carter Carburetor</center> <center> Raced in SCCA B Production from 1969 to 1974</center> <center> Midwest Champion '69, '70, & '71</center> <center> Currently raced in SVRA and HSR</center> <hr align="center" size="6" width="500"> <center> ENGINE</center> <hr align="center" size="6" width="250"> <center> 353 CID - Arias 12 To 1 Forged Pistons - Carillo Forged Rods - Speed Pro Rings</center> <center> Ported Cylinder Heads - Combustion Chambers Reworked</center> <center> Stainless Steel Valves - Crane Cam - Double Roller Timing Chain - ARP Studs</center> <center> Crane Roller Rockers - Edelbrock Torker Intake - Hooker Headers</center> <center> High Volume Oil Pump - Modified Oil System - Accusump - Engine Oil Cooler</center> <center> System 1 Remote Oil Filter - Baffled Trap Door Oil Pan - 14 Quart System -</center> <center> AMC Electronic Distributor (Motorcraft Duraspark) With MSD Box</center> <hr align="center" size="6" width="500"> <center> FUEL SYSTEM</center> <hr align="center" size="6" width="250"> <center> Holly 750 Double Pumper - Dual Fram Racing Fuel Filters - Dual Holley Electric Pumps</center> <center> Holly Fuel Pressure Regulator - 3/8 Braided Fuel Lines - ATL 22 Gal. Fuel Cell</center> <hr align="center" size="6" width="500"> <center> DRIVELINE</center> <hr align="center" size="6" width="250"> <center> Lakewood Bellhousing - Hayes Clutch - T-10 Close Ratio 4 Speed - Hurst Shifter</center> <center> 3.54 Gears With Detroit Locker - Rear Drum Brakes - Bendix Front Disc Brakes</center> <center> American Torque Thrust 15x8 Wheels - BFG R1 Tires - 235/60/15 Frt. & 255/60/15 Rear</center> <hr align="center" size="6" width="505"> <center> BODY AND CHASSIS</center> <hr align="center" size="6" width="250"> <center> Full Roll Cage - Alum. Racing Seat - Simpson 5 Point Harness - Phoenix Fire System</center> <center> Carrera Shocks - Custom Made Delrin Bushings - Front Lowered HD Coil Springs -</center> <center> HD Rear Leaf Springs With Delrin Bushings & Lowering Blocks - Rear Roller Shackels</center> <center> Griffin 4 Core Radiator - Simpson Window Net - Custom Dash - Battery Disconnect Switch</center>

Last edited:
My Uncle owned and raced a 68 AMX in SCCA from 69-74. My brother called me two weeks ago as he found it currently for sale on the web. The guy is asking $40k with a fresh engine. He asked me what I thought it was worth. I told him it was a POS in 1969 so.... "it's worth what ever the cost of the fresh engine." :tongue:

So, you have AMC blood in your family. LOL

That's an AMX with some history; I'm sure an AMC fanatic will buy it. I occasionally see low mileage, restored AMXs selling on Ebay for silly money.

I was considering a bullet to the temple vs. reading another "vs." thread; so this thread quite possibly saved my life.

I've got AMC in my blood too; my dad handed his Pacer down to my older brother when he was 16.

The car was so powerfully uncool that he never got laid in high school. So uncool, in fact, that his little brother didn't get laid either :mad:

Still, I'd go with the Gremlin over the NSX. The Gremlin will always hold it's resale value, as it's pegged to the price of steel....

p.s. - but every time I think of the Pacer X,
I jizz....
in.....
my pants!

On a more serious note. I had a 74 Gremlin as a work car waaaay back in the day. It had a 258 CI 6 banger and 3 speed on the floor and the gears would grind horribly in "every" gear, but I drove the absolute piss out of it for 2 years like that and it never once failed me.:cool: And it was the worst color ever, skyblue. Indeed I did not get ass with this car.....................ever.:redface:

"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time" - so Gremlim with stickies and parachute for ME!!!:biggrin:

Back