Tricks of installing the DF hood?

Here are the pictures of the post-installation after the best adjustment . You judge for yourselves- is it the hood or is it my car (no history of accident or damage)? In addition, the gap bwt fenders and the hood are inconsistent from the topn down; they are not as tight as Vance's hood.

Last edited:
I have seen the fender area rise up a little before adjustment, but not by the windshield area.

No fender replacement in the past?

What you are saying is the draw of the luck? Some will be like yours and others are not.

Keep in mind that all NSX all hand assembled. There are some differences between each cars. I have seen OEM NSX R hood not lining up with the fender without any adjustments.

If the hood you guys have don't flush with the panels, it is your car, not the hood. There are so many NSX owners out there with the same DF hood and I'm pertty darn sure all of them are happy. Some did mention adjustment was needed but minor.

My DF hood. The hood you guys bought came from the same mold. They only have one mold.
DSC01219.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

dfHood02_800.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen the fender area rise up a little before adjustment, but not by the windshield area.

No fender replacement in the past?

Original, the paint on the screws of the fenders are not chipped, broken or scratched that I can see and still has the VIN on it.

Last edited:
Well, call DF and ask for help. As I have indicated above, every second Gen DF hood I know fits fine, some required minor adjustment, and fits fine afterwards. I can't see why you can't accomplish that unless your car went through panel removal in the past. Do what vsy05 suggested, find another 02 NSX and test fit to see if it is your car.

Well, call DF and ask for help. As I have indicated above, every second Gen DF hood I know fits fine, some required minor adjustment, and fits fine afterwards. I can't see why you can't accomplish that unless your car went through panel removal in the past. Do what vsy05 suggested, find another 02 NSX and test fit to see if it is your car.

My is 00 NSX, not 02NSX. I don't know if it did or did not go through panel removal. But, as I mentioned above the VIN is match, paint on screws are not broken, chipped or any evidence of removing on both sides of the fender. I did actually untight the screws on one side of the fender to make the gap closer, but unsuccessful. Anyway, thank you for your input, Vance

Last edited:
Vance,

he is not using a 02+ DF hood, its a 91-01 hood, ence, not from the same mold as yours....

...and by the looks it seems clearly that the hood is somewhat higher in the edges, which lead me to believe there is some kind of problem with the mold.... it happens in the long run, mainly when the mold is not strong... i've seen it in hoods for other cars :wink:

my DF hood is for a low mile 05 and this thing just will not fit properly..touches drivers fender ...sits high on passenger side and doesn't sit flush with bumper... The lip on the inside is poorly finished as well...i hope i can get this resolved

Attachments

• DSCN0343.jpg
    DSCN0343.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN0344.jpg
    DSCN0344.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN0346.jpg
    DSCN0346.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0348.jpg
    DSCN0348.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN0349.jpg
    DSCN0349.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 108
Bad fitment on a 05:confused:
I thought these were gauranteed 99% fitment?

my DF hood is for a low mile 05 and this thing just will not fit properly..touches drivers fender ...sits high on passenger side and doesn't sit flush with bumper... The lip on the inside is poorly finished as well...i hope i can get this resolved

Last edited:
Vance,

he is not using a 02+ DF hood, its a 91-01 hood, ence, not from the same mold as yours....

...and by the looks it seems clearly that the hood is somewhat higher in the edges, which lead me to believe there is some kind of problem with the mold.... it happens in the long run, mainly when the mold is not strong... i've seen it in hoods for other cars :wink:

I just noticed it. HOWEVER, check out Mike Cruz and Grame's car, they have the same hood and the fitment is almost the same as my. And DF only has one mold for that hood too, no previous generation.

Interesting.

Well, call DF for advise. I know what I have seen in the past, I can't explain the problems you guys are facing.

mcbumper13.JPG

IMG_0226_copy.jpg

DSCN1515_copy.jpg

DSCN1527_copy.jpg

No doubt Vance.. i believe and see others on Prime with sucess stories HOWEVER I have the best in the business telling me the fitment is poor and the hinge bolts are a tiny bit off...Like I said before the oem hood was bolted back on with 100% fitment..which leads to one conclusion.....

I will not break loose fender bolts paint or shim stuff for a hood,,,this should fit OEM... Drtruongs hood issues appear to be hood hinges too.. i dunno whats going on I never built these.. but Sam is a straightup guy and sure he will help us here

I just noticed it. HOWEVER, check out Mike Cruz and Grame's car, they have the same hood and the fitment is almost the same as my. And DF only has one mold for that hood too, no previous generation.

Interesting.

Well, call DF for advise. I know what I have seen in the past, I can't explain the problems you guys are facing.

mcbumper13.JPG

IMG_0226_copy.jpg

DSCN1515_copy.jpg

DSCN1527_copy.jpg

I still don't get why the pricing on the DF CF products is 3-5 times higher than other manufactures. Someone mentioned about DF products involves high cost of quality materials and labor involved.:confused: I understand the underside of the hood has CF and the style looks a little better, but ........:eek:
I guess if you got money to burn, great. However, if the damn thing doesn't fit properly, what good is quality? Also, one last thing, what difference does the clear gel coat, tinted, weave quality if you going to paint the entire hood?? In this case fitment is everything and quality weave is out the door.

Last edited:
Im thinking this are my issue too (hinges threaded inserts) ... a fraction off and this can be the result

The main problem is the screw holes of the hinges; they are little off when I tried to install it. I had to force the hinge to align with the screw holes. Also I had to put a wedge in bwt the hinge and the hood on the passenger side to make flush, but still not 100% flush. The corner of the windshield is impossible to adjust and still rise up.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thong.. I reviewed your pics and it is not cool to put wedges on a hood of this value.. Its still appears to sit up too high

I know it was only a test but we will resolve this...

Before adjustment on the passenger side
View attachment 50526

During adjustment, a wedge was put in to level it on the passenger side
View attachment 50527

After the best adjustmenton the passenger side
View attachment 50528
Still have problem on the corner of the windshield
View attachment 50529

The gap on the driver is much wider than the passenger side
View attachment 50530

View attachment 50531
The gap on top is wider than the front (inconsistent gap)on the passenger side
View attachment 50532

The main problem is the screw holes of the hinges; they are little off when I tried to install it. I had to force the hinge to align with the screw holes. Also I had to put a wedge in bwt the hinge and the hood on the passenger side to make flush, but still not 100% flush. The corner of the windshield is impossible to adjust and still rise up.

Does anyone know:

1) How much is a OEM 02+ type "R" carbon fibre hood?

2) Did Honda make a OEM ducted type "R" hood for the cars with the flip up lights and, if so, how much did that cost as well?

I bet Vance knows the answers to these questions. :wink:

Why don't you start another thread to ask these questions and not hijack the OP thread who is trying to solve the problems he is having:rolleyes:?

Does anyone know:

1) How much is a OEM 02+ type "R" carbon fibre hood?

2) Did Honda make a OEM ducted type "R" hood for the cars with the flip up lights and, if so, how much did that cost as well?
:wink:

Mike C has a great fitment DF hood. The hood is a NA1 DF CF hood with a special Mode 4 02+ bumper to fit the pop up lights.

Wrong. It's a modified 02+ hood made by df that has had some work done to fit pop up headlights. Also if I'm not mistaken the mode 4 bumper and Mikes have slight differences and his doesn't come from the mold that Erick sells his batch from. I could be wrong but thought I read it somewheres awhile ago.

Not to hijack or discredit anyones products but my original intention was to just point out Mike C's hood has had some work done to it along the way and that it's not a "straight out of the box" 91-01 hood. It does look oh so perfect though!!!

Stephen

A few measurements of the drivers side OEM hood thread holes to the edge of the hood....Iam NO engineer but this may be the difference here why its gaps on the drivers side is so tight as you can see the DF hood has a substantial difference

Attachments

• DSCN0386.jpg
    DSCN0386.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0387.jpg
    DSCN0387.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN0389.jpg
    DSCN0389.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0393.jpg
    DSCN0393.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 69
always nice to hear the REAL facts rather than some in accurate info....
"I know a guy who knows a guy thats has a DFD hood fits perfect..oh ya I forgot to mention the body shop grinded 2 inches off the edges rethreaded the hinges,contoured the corners, regelcoated the hood...now its 100%:biggrin:

Not to hijack or discredit anyones products but my original intention was to just point out Mike C's hood has had some work done to it along the way and that it's not a "straight out of the box" 91-01 hood. It does look oh so perfect though!!!

Stephen[/QUOTE]

always nice to hear the REAL facts rather than some in accurate info....
"I know a guy who knows a guy thats has a DF hood fits perfect..oh ya I forgot to mention the body shop grinded 2 inches off the edges rethreaded the hinges,contoured the corners, regelcoated the hood...now its 100%:biggrin:

Stephen[/QUOTE]

I still don't get why the pricing on the DF CF products is 3-5 times higher than other manufactures. Someone mentioned about DF products involves high cost of quality materials and labor involved.:confused: I understand the underside of the hood has CF and the style looks a little better, but ........:eek:
I guess if you got money to burn, great. However, if the damn thing doesn't fit properly, what good is quality?
Get the real deal to replicate: $10 grand
Create a warp resistant mold made: $6 grand
Using American Labor in Orange County, California: $60 an hour
Using more expensive higher quality CF: Extra $50 per yard
Comparing the DF hood to VIS hood (BTW, Made in China with crappy CF on top, FRP on the bottom, and pertty much every owner I know dislike showing the bottom side, plus 50 cents per hour labor): Priceless:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Did I mentioned it is a direct replica of the real deal? Not some wannabe, functionless hood with a giant hole on the top to pretend it's a Type R hood?

Yes, people do have money to burn when they want good quality stuff. But again, if we don't have people who are willing to settle for less, old beat up used NSX will never sell.
Why buy a 2005 NSX when you can have a 1991 with 150k miles on Odo for less? Now I understand why Honda kept the NSX for 15 years, they understand S2k, Civic guys need some thing to step up to.

Oh yeah, why buy an NSX when you can buy a 350Z...lol

All right, I need to stop my sarcasm, but you get the point:wink:

Stephen
Correction, I just found out today as well, Mike's hood is a NA2 hood, cut to fit NA1. Therefore, the flush issue does not exist.

BTW, did you get the Type R gauge set?

Last edited:
How come all this information above was never mentioned before:confused:
You guys need to stop bashing the VIS hood as it fits better than the ones you paid 3 times as much for.:mad: And if you have the right scoop(old sos radiator duct or you can modify the one you have) and make some adjustments to it to catch all the air coming in(I DID) and have the under bumper tray/batterytray you will get the exact same benefit as any other NSxR hood copy.
If you are a real baller you can go pay $10k to get a real nsxr hood right? why get a Fake Replica(its not from honda/acura)? As you said all hood thats not straight from factory will need some shimming to do or adjustments need to be done to make them work. So why not VIS if you are going to spend more $ just to make it fit right anyway?
Oh thats right the under side cf that no one sees or cares about looks better:rolleyes:
Come on, Vancehu, not everyone will take out money from thier home's equity to buy some real R seats and a hood. Its not smart at all..Called a bad investment, bad all together. I say if you can't pay cash for it you can't afford it. I should see what my equity is at now, I am sure I can get a R8, and few more nsx's and still have 100K left over:cool:.

Why do you feel the need to put VIS hood down so much ?and also why are you always saying the DF hood fit 99% out the box. :confused: CLEARLY it doesn't.

Buying a Real deal NSX-r hood $10,000
Buying a good copy that fits well (Procar)-3500
Buying a Copy of a Copy that claims it fits well(DF) 1500
Getting the same fitting hood (VIS)as DF for 1/3 of the price..Priceless:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back