Transmission Limits

yes i was able to purchase the parts from comptech. I don't remember how much they were though. What Shad had to do is use diff. parts from other year cars because of the different gear cut on the inside of the ring gear. I have logged lots of track time on this setup and have had no issues at all. Let me know if i can help further. Good luck, Kip Olson

After actually examining the problem, instead of throwing the car in the trailer so we could make it to SD and guessing, it was the left inner CV joint not the diff. It broke going through turn 1 at Infineon, which is a banked uphill left turn if you aren't familiar with the track. Easy DIY Fix!! Hopefull this answers some of the questions as to where the week link is with high HP X's. Also, anyone here going to Thunderhill 28/29th. Andrie?

AATA said:
After actually examining the problem, instead of throwing the car in the trailer so we could make it to SD and guessing, it was the left inner CV joint not the diff. It broke going through turn 1 at Infineon, which is a banked uphill left turn if you aren't familiar with the track. Easy DIY Fix!! Hopefull this answers some of the questions as to where the week link is with high HP X's. Also, anyone here going to Thunderhill 28/29th. Andrie?

AATA-

So what you are saying is that your problems had nothing to do with the tranny, just the CV?

Yes, it is only the CV. I've broken a couple other CV's on other cars and it didn't feel like the CV while driving it around. The CV actually stayed together so at a quick glance it looked OK. My other experiences the ball came out of the socket if you will and was obvious what the problem was. I never crawled under the car at the track to look at it. Wrong assumption!

AATA said:

Glad that it is something that relatively cheaper.

I won't be racing at Thunderhill that weekend, as Jim might race it. I will be there if Jim is there to crew for him.

Kip & AATA, Thanks for the info.
AATA what FI system are you running, your making some Big HP as well.

Kip I am going to call Shad and see what components he used for your setup if you don't mind.
Thanks

Andrie Hartanto said:
Glad that it is something that relatively cheaper.

I won't be racing at Thunderhill that weekend, as Jim might race it. I will be there if Jim is there to crew for him.

Me too! I'm going to SD this weekend to fix it and if everything works out I will see you at TH. Are you going to take your X out for fun. Should be a lot of the OTC guys there.

len3.8 said:
Anyone explored the limits of the NSX's transmission @ high hp?
Say a 6spd with 4:55
Not planning on going over 500-550hp, I'm not drag racing. I will be tracking the car. I don't baby the car, but I am not into just dropping the clutch either.
But I am still concerned about the trans.

Thanks

Speaking of tranny limits....I know that the automatic transmissions for the NSX are WEAK!! They will snap if you add any significant power. :(

Andrie, do you remember which version of the 4.55 I have?
I'd like to know for reference. It looks like regardless of the version I shouldn't have any
major issue as I don't plan to have anywhere close to 400HP in my car.

Re: Re: Transmission Limits

Meeyatch1 said:
Speaking of tranny limits....I know that the automatic transmissions for the NSX are WEAK!! They will snap if you add any significant power. :(

How do you know?

What is significant power? I thought some people were running the Comptech in an auto?

Okay All... In light of recent developments, I would like to revisit this thread...
As I have now experienced what others have and what I was afraid of happening to me... Mark me as one with a split case, well at least a cracked case... I have a Yurbo, 500HP/TRQ and the 4:55 CT with a 6 speed...
Not real agressive with the boost or the driving, but something still gave way inside...

Just wondering what you guys are experiencing a year and a half later with your setups? I have heard the suggestions about cryo...

Kip if you have any other developments I would love to hear about them...
My best option $$$$ is to keep my 6 speed as it has a clutch in it with less than 4k miles on it, that cost me big $$$$'s So I am really not interested in switching to a 5spd..

I am pretty sure my case can be repaired, at least the crack can be... There is no clunking just a small amount of noticeable chatter, so I am hoping damage was minimal on the inside, hell hoping that there is none...

Just wondering if there were any new developments out there since we last talked about this... At this time I am looking at replacing the 4:55 with the stock gears... Any other ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks
Len

RE Comptech 4.55 R&P: I was at Barber Motorsports Park this past weekend for a Chin Motorsports event and learned that a good friend of mine with appx 350rwhp had shattered his 4.55's at Road Atlanta just a few weeks ago. This HP level is far below that being discussed and it still took out the R&P.

I was taking with Shad from CT at the July 9th Acura of Stockton meet. He said in his opinion that anything above 400-435 will lead to OEM tranny unreliability/breakage if driven hard and suggested that a hardened tranny would be the way to go.

I do not have any good info for you yet. However I have had my entire transmission assembly cryoed. We will see how long it lasts. I'm just hoping for a little longer life than a non-cryoed one at this point. But we will definately figure out the limits of this kind of treatment on our tranny's.

On another note we are exploring all sorts of options for our tranny issues and will keep everyone informed. I actually got an email back from one of the companies I was talking with today. 6 speed sequential with dog-engagement gear selection. Limited slip differential, about 22k per assembly. Needless to say, we are looking to make something available which is significantly cheaper :biggrin: . I'll let you know what we come up with.

Elite said:
I do not have any good info for you yet. However I have had my entire transmission assembly cryoed. We will see how long it lasts. I'm just hoping for a little longer life than a non-cryoed one at this point. But we will definately figure out the limits of this kind of treatment on our tranny's.

On another note we are exploring all sorts of options for our tranny issues and will keep everyone informed. I actually got an email back from one of the companies I was talking with today. 6 speed sequential with dog-engagement gear selection. Limited slip differential, about 22k per assembly. Needless to say, we are looking to make something available which is significantly cheaper :biggrin: . I'll let you know what we come up with.

Hewland wants in the upper 70grand range for theirs, so this is a relative bargain. Plus Hewland already has it developed, just not in current production.

Would these folks be willing to drop the price for a 10 piece order, or is this the price for a minimum quantity build already?

Would this transmission allow quick gear changes without dropping the tranny? Does it work with existing mechanicals? Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

There may be some hope, we have recently spoke with a company that may be able to produce some internals for our OEM transmission that may hold up to our abuse. We cryo and coat our tranny, it seems to give it longer life… As we had mentioned before going the 6spd route is probably not the way to go if you are making significant power.

Many of you have noticed that CT has discontinued the 4.55. There have been a number of well-documented 4.55 failures in boosted applications. The physics are simple, the 4.55 has more teeth (the teeth are skinny) in the same circumference of the ring gear, and is not as robust as the stock 4.06 (the teeth are fatter). If you have a 4.55 and a boosted application, one choice is to tear down NOW, before it fails, and you can sell off the gear. Since it's been discontinued, they are holding value for the street crowd. They aren't going to stand up to the rigors of track use.

Len, don't hold your breath on it 'not being too bad'. Mine was still running under it's own power, several teeth had broken off, but the ring was still intact, so the car would still go, albeit with some ominous noise.

I had it rebuilt with all original 5-spd gears and 4.06 r/p. It's actually better for track use, since I can pull each gear to a higher speed, therefore don't have to shift as much in each lap. It's not a fast 0-60 as it was with 4.55, but, for me, that is pointless. It's all about lapping ! :biggrin:

SPECIAL THANKS TO BARN-MAN, THE NSX TECH YOU DREAM OF. I voluntarily drive 275 miles with my car on a trailer to get the absolute best possible NSX service in the SE.

Len, Since we last talked about this I have made some changes. I was previously using the NSX-R 4.23 that Shad adapted to work in my 6 spd. I had virtually no problems with it. In fact upon removal I had all parts of the diff. crack checked (NO CRACKS). The factory gear is very strong and reliable and noticably better then the stock gear ratio. That being said, I still missed the 4.55 gear ratio. So I have switched to a O.S. Giken 4.44 / 1.5 / Limited slip diff and a Tilton triple carbon clutch. I was told that these diff's are happy to 500 w.h.p.? The combination is a bit pricey but works amazing and the LSD tranforms the track experience. This setup is highly reccommended. If you need more info let me know. Kip

the nsxnut said:
Many of you have noticed that CT has discontinued the 4.55. There have been a number of well-documented 4.55 failures in boosted applications. The physics are simple, the 4.55 has more teeth (the teeth are skinny) in the same circumference of the ring gear, and is not as robust as the stock 4.06 (the teeth are fatter). If you have a 4.55 and a boosted application, one choice is to tear down NOW, before it fails, and you can sell off the gear. Since it's been discontinued, they are holding value for the street crowd. They aren't going to stand up to the rigors of track use.

Len, don't hold your breath on it 'not being too bad'. Mine was still running under it's own power, several teeth had broken off, but the ring was still intact, so the car would still go, albeit with some ominous noise.

I had it rebuilt with all original 5-spd gears and 4.06 r/p. It's actually better for track use, since I can pull each gear to a higher speed, therefore don't have to shift as much in each lap. It's not a fast 0-60 as it was with 4.55, but, for me, that is pointless. It's all about lapping ! :biggrin:

SPECIAL THANKS TO BARN-MAN, THE NSX TECH YOU DREAM OF. I voluntarily drive 275 miles with my car on a trailer to get the absolute best possible NSX service in the SE.

:smile: Thanks, I am not holding the breath... I know that there is something damaged in there... It will be addressed shortly....

Also, Thinking of the drive to B-man to incorporate him into the servicing of my NSX... I have in fact already talked to him....

Factor X , I know you all advise against the 6spd route , But I already have it and the cost of switching back to a 5 spd and MAYBE having the problem solved is just not economical for me...

Kip, I am leaning toward the stock internals of the 6 speed as you have used... I would be interested in hearing about the Gilken setup with the LSD that you are currently using... Is it proprietary to the Tilton Clutch?
And if you don't mind sharing the costs with me , I would apreciate it as well... Also , dou you still have that adapted 4:23? Is it something that can be duplicated? Excuse my Ignorance...

What is the ratio on the Factory 6spd? I thought it was 4:23.

Thanks again to all of you that have answered the call a second and third time to this thread and the other... i appreciate the candor and all of the opinions....

For the record the JB weld was used just to keep the Fluid from escaping through the crack. I had to fulfil a promise...Didn't want to leave the guys hanging.... Another NSX prime member may have a solution for me... If so , I am one happy MOFO, in a few weeks...

Please keep the suggestions coming....

Back