Tracked - Ferrari 458 Italia

I have had a couple of "test drives" of a F458. I good friend of mine bought one new and wanted me to drive it. I must say.... the car is spectacular. It does everything so well and dynamically it is beyond most driver's capabilities. BUT..... It has it own set of flaws. I don't care for the front end, didn't like the huge wheel gaps over the front fenders. I didn't like the ridiculous steering wheel and the interior/electronics. Any owner would get used to the interior/electronics though. Finally.... I felt that the steering was way too light and had little feedback at slow speeds. It felt better at higher speeds. The other concern I had is that the car cannot really be enjoyed at legal speeds. I made 2-3 runs up to 140 MPH in a Very short distance. It was very impressive but could have easily landed us in jail. At speeds below 70 MPH u feel like you and the car are trapped. I kept waiting to unleash the monster! U have to track the car to appreciate it.

Finally....part of me really likes the "mechanical" aspect of driving my GT3. U shift, heel/toe, rotate the car......etc. It is completely different that the Ferrari's but in some ways more fun. The GT3 is old school in the sense that it requires significant driver interaction. The F458 isn't as interactive. It is a tool for speed. I am hoping the MP4 is more interactive but the reviews haven't been so promising.
hmmmmm maybe in the end you just need a 4.0 gt3rs.

Just like the OP had a chance to track the F458 in Las Vegas this morning. Unlike the OP, I drove the car on the outside road course (1.1 mile short technical track with 9 turns) instead of the infield at LVMS.

In order to learn the track and be able to push the cars, I first rented a Cayman R with PDK for 6 laps. Sadly the Caymn had the regular seats instead of the Sport Buckets. I own and track a 6 speed Cayman R so felt right at home with the car being able to push the car tossing it everywhere while learning the small nuances of the short track with the instructor who was riding along.

Next I drove 5 laps on the LP570 Superleggera. The driver to car interface was horrendous, the paddle shifter location made it almost impossible to be able to select gears properly while driving the car. I could barely fit into the car properly wearing a helmet since the top of my rental helmet would touch the ceiling, with my GP5W Arai helmetI would probably have been better off.. Regardless, the car was a real handful to drive, the funky pedal position, the archaic tranny as well as the paddle shift location, the horrendous lag between shifts, etc.

The V10 had huge amounts of torque and the AWD helped putting the power down, but it felt disconnected, the sequential tranny ruined the whole car, it was impossible being smooth shifting up on track out due to the cutting of power between shifts that caused some lurching when power was back on.

After the disappointing ride in the Superleggera I got to drive 6 laps on the F458. It was like night and day between the Lamborghini and the F458 in regards to driver to car interface, everything on the car that is needed was in the right place, brake and accelerator, fixed paddle shifts n the steering column that are easy to reach, big current gear indicator, RPM/Tachometer range lights on the steering wheel, etc.

The driving itself was telepathic, the car wpuld do exactly what I wanted the car to do instead of having to fight the car like the LP570. On throttle, off throttle transitioning from hard braking to acceleration, throttle steering, lift throttle oversteer to help rotate the car, etc.

Visibility out of the front of the car was about a good as my old NSX, the steering feel and feedback was right on and perfect. The car excelled at everything, i have never been too keen about the looks of the rear end of the car, but now that I've driven the car in the right environment, I really don't care about how it looks.

The sound of the engine revving through the power band was addicting, there is a method to the madness behind the 3 piped exhaust.

In retrospect I wish that I could have rented a F430 Sccuderia instead of the LP570 so that I could get a feel how much of a leap it was between the F430 and the F458 in regards to handling.

Next car on the list to test drive and evaluate is the MP4-12C, hoping to go to the factory tour in the UK in the next few months so that I can take the car on the track and have some first hand experience.

I had two 458 students at a track day a while back... one let me drive it and I couldn't agree with you more -- it's a wonderful car (can you say: of course, for the price!)!
For some extra fun do a few laps with all the electronics left ON... mind blowing! Just mash the gas at the apex and it just excellerates out. No tire spin, it just puts all the power into the macadam. In this mode no driving skill at all is required. Amazing. A novice can crank fast lap of the day almost.
Of course it's more fun with the proper track settings, but wow!

Last edited:
Back