Torn between GTR and NSX

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm a GTR guy, always have been, had owned an R32 that was boosted to 500 reliable hp. They have always been a sledgehammer. Completely different mission statement vs the NSX. I love my NSX, and I completely agree it's design is beautiful and timeless, but there's no denying the appeal of the GTR (for me).
23558_425792961223_690446223_5635410_3416417_n.jpg

Hello all, I am truly thinking about trading in my 02 NSX towards a GTR. It is a really tough decision though. They are both cars I dreamt of owning since high school. I love my NSX, but the GTR seems to outperform it on many levels. It is also more practical for me currently. One thing I am concerned about is the collectibility of the GTR. We already know there will be no more NSX's. I haven't seen any solid production numbers on GTR's, but I'm sure they're not cranking out too many. It is a really hard decision.

Picking which car is not an easy decision if you just want performance as that is an obvious choice but I will say this:

GTR collectibility will NEVER be like the NSX ~ check out the GTR boards, few people want to buy a used GTR as it's one of those cars you really need warranty to own. Plus the fact they made way too many saturates the market. Everyone I talk to says buy a 2010 or 2011 NEW, never used if I wanted to get one. That leaves 08/09 owners high and dry with tanking resale values. Don't believe me, just to try to buy an older one...

Having said that, get what YOU want, the rest of us can't help you there.

hmm. i have both...

I had a 99 nsx, sold it, bought the gtr.. missed the nsx so bought another one.

The GTR is better than the nsx in every way.. it is faster, handles better, and gets as many looks... BUT... it has no soul.. When I push it to the edge it just keeps giving. It never does anything wrong and if you do something wrong it corrects for you. You never feel like a hero for pulling off a full corner drift because you know with a little seat time anyone could have done it.

Maintenance issues are a bunch of BS.. when the car was first introduced the launch control voided warranties.. now there is a free factory update and you can play as much as you want to. except now it only hits 60 in 3.7 seconds :wink:.. 4800 does a brake service here at my dealer. 3200 if you go with stillen rotors.. you have to remember that this car produces super car performance.. it is very cheap to maintain versus a lot of cars with the same performance. BTW 75000 buys you a new GTR 90k buys you a used porsche coming out of warranty..

If you really want to buy one make sure you call dealers on the east coast.. In new mexico at least it is much cheaper to buy one on the east coast and have it shipped here than to buy locally.

On our local track there is a turbo nsx (also holds the track record) is a bit faster than a gtr. My nsx is slower as it is still NA.

All told.. if you cant do both, and since the nsx market seems to have plenty of options lately.. I would agree with the above comment that buying a GTR is a good idea just to satisfy the urge, but I think you will find yourself back in a NSX before you know it.

IMHO there isn't a comparison the NSX comes from the period in car history where a driver had so many different choices (GTR, Supra, 300ZX, NSX, RX7 and 3000GT VR-4 ) all of the stated choices were DRIVER'S CARS. The GTR and most new 'sports cars' today can pretty much drive themselves and lack the 'fun factor' that is associated with driving a true sports car, the challenge of finding speed that is derived from learning to actually push the car to its limits!

the GTR will be faster than the NSX almost everytime hands down, more fun? Not to me. Will it teach you ANYTHING about car control or how to become a faster driver? Not in this lifetime.

get out there and push you NSX to its limits and tell me you want a GTR :cool:

I will say that the GTR is not as visually appealing as our NSXs, but there is some kind of sexiness to the car still. It's kind of like a larger/thicker girl that is still tight and sexy compared to other girls that are larger, but certainly not a supermodel compared to the NSX's stance haha.

With that said, the GTR is exactly what Nissan wanted to acheive. It is the embodiment of the Japanese culture/style and the GTR is very original, unique and powerful looking. No one can mistaken that car for anything else on the road if they know cars even a little bit. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's probably a perfect execution of the direction Nissan wanted. From the beginning the Skylines have always been larger cars. And large car are not known for being devastingly sexy as low slung, mid-engine coupes.

The stigma with our cars is most people don't know what it is, is that a Ferrari, Lambo, Corvette or even some other common vehicle not even in the same clout as the above mentioned. It's a shame really, because considering the time that the NSX came out, it looked way better and more modern than anything on the market. Ferrari design quality was sucking ass and Lambo's style was still not quite there yet either. No one really knows that and thinks our cars are trying to be a 360, 355 or late 90s Diablo (cause the early ones were a bit ugly). No one really know that all of these cars came after the 90s Japanese golden era that ignited the car industry and left European automakers bouncing on their toes to catch up.

Yes, the NSX and many other 90s supercars were engineered to compete with European super cars, but this was solely on a performance basis. The visual design that came together I believe is quite original. I mean, hate to say it but BMW is still lagging behind on their interior design cues. Great, you have fantastic cupholder, but your center console still does not look better than my late 80s designed NSX's interior. Maybe you need to take some cues from Audi lol.

I think that the NSX looks better than 90% of anything that is belted out of any factory today. hands down one of the best looking cars ever IMHO. not to mention the build quality of today's cars are a joke.

These cars could not be more different!!

If what you want is amazing power and don't really care about looks then do it! Otherwise, Im afraid, you will be back.
And if it's amazing power you want with looks, get a Ford GT:eek:

I think we've all been there. As nice and good as the NSX is, after driving any car for a few years you start to get a wandering eye. Part of it is just part of what being a car guy is all about. There are many options for great drives out there, different cars with different characteristics and life is short. I'd say go for it, you can always get back into another NSX later if it suits you better.

I don't think the size comparison is really fair. GTR is a 2+2 after all.

Put any Lotus next to a NSX and you'll see a similar effect

car_photo_373903_25.jpg

I work on GTR's every Day, from 32's to 35's & I've built engines from 300HP to over 1000HP.
I agree they are a very tunable platform & I respect their performance, but at the end of the day they are just missing something... I can't really describe it, to me they're just a Performance Production Car.

Everyday after a Road Test I always compare to them My NSX & Think, Nope, Not really good enough. I'm Not going to jump the fence yet.

Besides, My prediction, In 10 years let's see how good the 35 GTR is...Going by issues we've had I can see them being the next 300zx.

Last edited:
I don't know much about them but what I've read and continue to read in this thread and magazines, etc. The mags have been full of comparos and info - all the mags say the same thing - somethings missing.

Eiffel said it too (great Atlanta NSX mechanic) - it's a Nissan - and I've had Nissans and I don't want any more of them. Build quality is just not there - but I'm sure this ones the best one - still it's the best Nissan.

OTOH - it is fun to experience different cars - I know all about that - I've surely had many different ones over my life since I was 16 - my first car was a TR3 and it's been like that now for 45 years. And you can always come back to the NSX.

Others have mentioned the new 911 Turbo - great car - read about that and you'll say mmmmmm, maybe I should try that one. The new DFI engine is - so far- turning out great! Walter Rohl, their test driver and most highly accomplished racer, has been driving them for years - of course he can drive any one of them he wants but he always gives you the comparo between the previous model and the new one - right. Well he loves the new DFI Turbo -and for the first time he's gone PDK!!! Now that is a testimony to the manual/automatic with shifts that are super quick and it's faster than the 6 speed. I know we've all read about that - the GTR has that too - well sort of - their tranny has been a source of problems unlike PDK. Anyway - Walter continues to buzz around the "ring" and sets new standards with each new model. I have friends with the Carrera S - DFI models and they also love them. All the ills of the IMS and RMS issues have been solved - for one thing there is no more IMS!!! (intermediate shaft) There is an aftermarket fix but - it's aftermarket - so that's good news for the earlier 996 and 997 owners. The latest version of the RMS seems to be a great fix too. So six speed or PDK - your choice.

Anyway - there are other super fast cars out there that sure nuff provide another "speedsters" choice. I'd surely drive one before I got the GTR.

By the way I was chasing a turbo 911 on the expressway this morning on the way in - a little fun and it was surely faster than the NSX, but he didn't loose me in mild traffic. BTW - it was a safe little bit of fun - nothing crazy. Put a turbo in the NSX and I think you'd have a real life performer. And really guys - how much can you really use all that power unless you dedicate the vehicles to the track.

Nuff said.....till next time, Onward

I work on GTR's every Day, from 32's to 35's & I've built engines from 300HP to over 1000HP.
I agree they are a very tunable platform & I respect their performance, but at the end of the day they are just missing something... I can't really describe it, to me they're just a Performance Production Car.

Everyday after a Road Test I always compare to them My NSX & Think, Nope, Not really good enough. I'm Not going to jump the fence yet.

Besides, My prediction, In 10 years let's see how good the 35 GTR is...Going by issues we've had I can see them being the next 300zx.

I don't know if I buy that "its missing something" bit. The same thing was said about the NSX during its years of production. The only thing I see missing are the maintenance bills hurting my pocket.

At the end of the day, the GTR is a stellar performer. And just like much of the latest and greatest out there, they are all easier to drive 8/10 or 9/10. I've never driven the car, but I am sure 10/10 still needs lots of driver involvement. And in the overall scheme of things, it will still be a rare car with ridiculous performance attributes. Regardless of maintenance issues, just like many other cars before it, the GTR will be sought after in the future.

Well to some the NSX is still missing something. Many here mod them with suspension bits, coil overs, sway bars, brake kits - etc. Then there are the ones that put headers on, exhaust systems, SC or TC , chips, etc. So there is something to the comment. It was a car made to be easy to drive and work for Mom to go to the store in too. I know that sounds funny but watch all the films from Japan and sales films - that's a selling point. They never increased the HP but once in 15 years and even then it was a measley 20 hp. I mean what's that from a company that was supposed to be serious about racing ...mmmmm? I'd say there may be a little to that - I love the car just as it is but mines not completely stock - I have comptech headers and about 20hp extra. It's got plenty for me currently...

The GTR is a sports GT - not like a true sports car - like the NSX or Exige or Ferrari and then the NSX is no longer setting the standard for Ferrari is it. I'll tell you if you read car mags like I do - I never ever see Ferrari loose a comparo. Have you?

Matter of fact if you have the money for a GTR - and the tranny maintenance - then maybe you should consider a used Ferrari - never read any article about Ferrari that ends with - "nice but missing something" - right! (you do read about mega maintenance though)

You'll read the same thing about the comparo of the 911TT - all round great car - a real total experience -interior, exterior and performance.

No way anyone here would say that the interior of the GTR matches Porshces newer ones or any of the Ferrari models!

Granted the GT-R is cheaper than the 911TT or the Carrera S and surely less than a Ferrari - that is not quite a fair comparo - I know that. So then there's the Vette. Close but wouldn't want one of those either. So for the price - maybe you want the GT-R experience - hate to see what the depreciation is though for say 2 or 3 years of driving. Maybe buy a used one from a doctor that has just pooted around town in it - no tranny problems there...:wink:

I don't know if I buy that "its missing something" bit. The same thing was said about the NSX during its years of production. The only thing I see missing are the maintenance bills hurting my pocket.

At the end of the day, the GTR is a stellar performer. And just like much of the latest and greatest out there, they are all easier to drive 8/10 or 9/10. I've never driven the car, but I am sure 10/10 still needs lots of driver involvement. And in the overall scheme of things, it will still be a rare car with ridiculous performance attributes. Regardless of maintenance issues, just like many other cars before it, the GTR will be sought after in the future.

The way I look at it is this: What do you value in a sports car? The Nissan GTR is a very different answer to this question than the Lotus Elise or Acura NSX. If you like the way Nissan has answered the question, then take the plunge.

Personally, I think the GTR is a badass car, and an impressive work of engineering and industrial design. I actually like the lines of the car. I find it aggressive yet understated.

I find the GTR is kind of a maximalist. It is large, heavy, powerful high-tech car. For comparison, the Elise is on the other end of the spectrum. It's very minimalist, light, and (almost) low tech car. The NSX lies somewhere in between these two.

Well to some the NSX is still missing something. Many here mod them with suspension bits, coil overs, sway bars, brake kits - etc. Then there are the ones that put headers on, exhaust systems, SC or TC , chips, etc. So there is something to the comment.

You shouldn't confuse "its missing something" with technical attributes, that is not what it means at all. The "something" refers to a soul, character or fun factor, etc.

The GTR is a sports GT - not like a true sports car - like the NSX or Exige or Ferrari

I would heartily disagree here too. The Porsche 911 turbo is a GT. Would you mistake if for anything else but a true sports car?

The way I look at it is this: What do you value in a sports car? The Nissan GTR is a very different answer to this question than the Lotus Elise or Acura NSX. If you like the way Nissan has answered the question, then take the plunge.

This is essentially the question that needs to be asked.

Last edited:
IMHO the last car that Nissan made without the quality issues of today: Twin Turbo Z of the 1990s...Renault ownership of nissan has dumbed them down. Honda has a different philosophy.

Back