Top Speed

I have hit between 155-160 I did not want to stare down at the speedo too long. I was pretty scared and shut it down a few seconds after peaking there.
The car felt alttle lite and I was not really comfortable at that speed.

Must be the "buffet wing" on the back:eek::biggrin::wink:

Great informative reading.

I've been passenger in a '92 NSX at 130mph and she felt like she had WAY more to give...an attitude like chomping-at-the-bit "is that all you got, buddy?...give me more!" desire to RUN.

Personally, I've only been to 160mph in a 360 Modena...but that felt pretty stable.

In the right circumstance and conditions, I would like to peak mine out.

Last edited:
For stock NSXs, I always thought the top speeds were as follows:

1991-1996: about 160 mph
1997-2001: about 170 mph
2002-2005: about 175 mph

Is that accurate?
Not exactly. According to tests by the major car magazines, top speed is 168 mph for the 1991-2001, and 175 mph for the 2002-2005.

from my own experience with my car which has always had a higher R&P and shorties.....5th gear was pretty useless on long tracks. The air at over 140 mph causes acceleration to be quite ponderous in my NA car. I have been up to 155 on long stretches of highway but it takes some time to get there.

196 mph downhill..... :biggrin: j/k

N074.01W02W.JPG

What’s this – a frank discussion about speed? I’m surprised the tongue-cluckers haven’t shut it down.
I went about 150 before wussing out. One of the nice things about a speed run is that you get to stand on it and hear the roar of the engine for a protracted period of time, as opposed to the usual short bursts.
The car is really comfortable cruising at 130.

I got to 175 before coming up on a curve and having to shut it down. I believe it would have gone at least 180. Will have to try again next time I'm in Nevada with the NSX.:biggrin:

I have read somewhere, ( i need to look for it) that the fuel cuts out at 270kmph (168 Mph) It is a Japan requirement... Can anyone confirm that?

Yes, but where. It's not like the bug eyes help.
The lip spoiler on the trunk lid, the side rocker extensions, etc.

I have read somewhere, ( i need to look for it) that the fuel cuts out at 270kmph (168 Mph) It is a Japan requirement... Can anyone confirm that?
Not true. It's drag limited at that speed, not rev limited.

not quite. in the 1990's the Japanese manufacturers made a "gentleman's agreement" to limit the top speed of their cars for the domestic market to 180kph (about 115mph). So they fitted speed limiters and even the speedo dials were only 180 kph full scale. A side affect for many years their focus on the mid range torque curve so car top speed would not ncrease, but they'd get there a lot faster
(e.g. subaru WRX, Mitsubishi EVO).

But this agreement has sort of fallen by the wayside - e.g. Nissan R35 GT-R.

Last edited:

I can confirm that it is not.

When I had my B18C powered Civic Hatchback and had the JDM ECU, the fuel cut came in at ~120mph (edit, make that 118mph).

According to Wiki, most JDM cars are limited to 180-190 kph (112-118mph)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limiter

Swapped it back to the USDM ECU and that fuel cut is removed and it climbed past 130mph (the speedo on a stock DX Civic stopped at 130mph)..

That's not true. I have taken my '91 to speeds of 288 kph (180 mph) many times. At that speed there seems to be a barrier, eventhough rpm is around 7300. I always thought more HP was required to overcome the drag so a faster speed could be achieved at say 8000 rpm. However, an nsxprime member from Portugal explained that you should turn off TCS before trying the top speed, then it will go up to 8000 rpm.
Never tried that though.

Last edited:
dare I ask... is that speedo in kph or mph?

and ... is that light telling us the TCS is off ? :smile:

Last edited:
I snagged this picture somewhere years ago. No idea whose car, but I would love to have been there. :)

190mphNSX.jpg

That car belongs green beret. He is from germany, that is in MPH. He even has videos floating around on the net with him going 300kmph on the Autobahn with the camera on his speedo and GPS side by side verify the speed. To top it off, his car is na.

Last edited:
That's not true. I have taken my '91 to speeds of 288 kph (180 mph) many times. At that speed there seems to be a barrier, eventhough rpm is around 7300. I always thought more HP was required to overcome the drag so a faster speed could be achieved at say 8000 rpm.

Is your NSX stock?

Back