top gear reveals nsx ??

To all enthusiasts Topgear is quoting what we all dreaded that this will be the ITO NSZ

And a final word about that new NSX. Honda has made it clear that having made Ferrari blush once, it has no intention of repeating that exercise. There's clearly another target this time: lightweight, V6-powered but with electric wheel motors, it would seem to suggest, alongside this little fella, that Honda has decided the future of sports cars is guilt-free. BMW i8 alternative anyone?

If it is like an I8 expect similar performance the C32B NSX. That makes it a bit of a conundrum as if it looks like the Avengers car that's awesome , but performance will be the same as what any NA2 stock NSX owner already has.

If that's what the next nsx will look like (I was hoping it wouldn't be) then I ma keep the nsx I got and look elsewhere for another REAL sports car/exotic.
Econo cars can be EV but I am sorry if u can't experience all the senses when driving then it's not a sports car..there is more to car thn just how fast it gets to 60mph...its also important how u got to 60 and how u felt getting to 60.

Zaid

If that's what the next nsx will look like (I was hoping it wouldn't be) then I ma keep the nsx I got and look elsewhere for another REAL sports car/exotic.
Econo cars can be EV but I am sorry if u can't experience all the senses when driving then it's not a sports car..there is more to car thn just how fast it gets to 60mph...its also important how u got to 60 and how u felt getting to 60.

Zaid

You saying you don't like the car in the Avengers or the little tiny car they shown at the top?

You saying you don't like the car in the Avengers or the little tiny car they shown at the top?

I don't like the car in the avengers it's ugly...I mean seriously we waited 20 years for that!!! to be an NSX I feel it has to redefine the car industry and it's segment like it did 20 years ago.

Zaid

This sounds more like a Honda Beat for the global market.

I feel it has to redefine the car industry and it's segment

Performance wise that's been done by the GT-R. Eco wise that's been done by the FCX Clarity. Technological wise, that's been done by the LFA. "give me a killer-handling mid-engined car at a good price" has been done by the R8. Where is Honda going to go? Senna is gone, so is Honda in F1, so is what you are asking for. Unless Honda can make a 458 replica for $100K, or 40% of what it costs, it's not going to "redefine" squat. I'm not putting my NSX on eBay quite yet.

Last edited:
I don't like the car in the avengers it's ugly...I mean seriously we waited 20 years for that!!! to be an NSX I feel it has to redefine the car industry and it's segment like it did 20 years ago.

Zaid

Well that's in a sense what Honda is trying to do by having the electric motors in the wheels. The NSX was a performance matcher not exceeder but balanced everything out by being reliable , durable daily driver. Honda is trying to do that with an electric car since that's still a small market.

I still think they should have a better more advanced V6 making 110-120hp per liter , but others think it will be at just 300hp with additional hp coming from the front electric motors.

The 918 will be seriously expensive. The Audi Etron looks to be the closest competitor and it's specs with a diesel seem very close to what people are expecting from Honda.

It's really really awful that people set the bar so low for Honda , but with everything they've been putting out since Ito took charge people expect even to be disappointed at their low expectations.

Why doesn't Ito see that??

Performance wise that's been done by the GT-R. Eco wise that's been done by the FCX Clarity. Technological wise, that's been done by the LFA. "give me a killer-handling mid-engined car at a good price" has been done by the R8. Where is Honda going to go? Senna is gone, so is Honda in F1, so is what you are asking for. Unless Honda can make a 458 replica for $100K, or 40% of what it costs, it's not going to "redefine" squat. I'm not putting my NSX on eBay quite yet.

Yeah Dave that really sums it up , but the Cayman S handles better than the R8. Actually it does everything better than the R8 and matches it in acceleration with 100hp less. CR rates it as the most reliable on the road to. All this while costing $20-30k less than it's competitors. While Honda was sleeping Porsche actually made a better NSX ....go figure:frown:

Last edited:
I think you guys are expecting too much. To be realistic, the objective should be R8 performance sans the bloated look, so with the NSX low slung proportioned body, aka 45-46 inches tall. Or updated NA3 with refreshed interior and exterior of the original platform. Why fix something that is not really broken?

I'd buy it and will if it actually makes it to the dealer's showroom.

The last NSX people said things like: "it has no soul", "it's underpowered", "overpriced for what you get", "it drives too much like a Accord" and on and on.

I don't need it to win magazine races.
I don't care if there are faster cars.
I don't need to beat a Vette, a GT-R, a Viper, a 911, a Ferrari, M3 or R8.

If it's as much of a performer as a Cayman that would be more than enough for me the way I would be using it.

I hope it will be just a regular gasoline car and makes at least 400hp(V6) or close to 500hp(V8) and weighs around 3200 lbs. Save the electric motor and green stuffs to economy cars. It better looks exotic too.

They should just make it look like this:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VaCKO-CUdps?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VaCKO-CUdps?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

I posted this in another thread, basically Honda will not make another supercar or an NSX replacement. Honda is not at the top of its game like some 20+ years ago, it doesn't make any economic sense for them to introduce a car similar to the NSX. It make more sense for them to build a S2000 replacement then an NSX replacement, for sure.

I hope it will be just a regular gasoline car and makes at least 400hp(V6) or close to 500hp(V8) and weighs around 3200 lbs. Save the electric motor and green stuffs to economy cars. It better looks exotic too.

Sadly I think this car will barely make 400hp if it does at all. Fingers crossed though.

They should just make it look like this:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VaCKO-CUdps?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VaCKO-CUdps?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Bats that would be so sic in black it's not even funny! Honda will never give us anything that looks anything like that. I don't mind the Avengers car though I'm just wondering if what they debut will look anything like that.

I posted this in another thread, basically Honda will not make another supercar or an NSX replacement. Honda is not at the top of its game like some 20+ years ago, it doesn't make any economic sense for them to introduce a car similar to the NSX. It make more sense for them to build a S2000 replacement then an NSX replacement, for sure.

Yeah but people have been screaming NSX longer and Honda seriously needs a flagship with their rep being what it is now.

Yeah but people have been screaming NSX longer and Honda seriously needs a flagship with their rep being what it is now.

This is where the issue is...

"People", for the purpose of your post, refers mostly to members of this forum and probably a few other Honda message boards (where, honestly, they would not even have the income for Honda to consider them as potential buyers for whatever car they build). These groups probably do not even make up 0.1% of Honda's consumer base.

Basically, Honda hears the small amount of screams and says "We are not interested in building the type of vehicle you are demanding."

Their "rep" is exactly what THEY want it to be. That may not match up with what YOU and some others want it to be...

This is where the issue is...

"People", for the purpose of your post, refers mostly to members of this forum and probably a few other Honda message boards (where, honestly, they would not even have the income for Honda to consider them as potential buyers for whatever car they build). These groups probably do not even make up 0.1% of Honda's consumer base.

Basically, Honda hears the small amount of screams and says "We are not interested in building the type of vehicle you are demanding."

Their "rep" is exactly what THEY want it to be. That may not match up with what YOU and some others want it to be...

Have to respectfully disagree with you. Message boards wouldn't make a dent in their decision but the press/media has been on them about this some time. Ito has constantly been pressed about this whenever media see's him and at autoshows. Plus from what supposed "insiders" have said that there are internal enthusiasts that have been applying pressure from the inside.

I do agree about the income part .I don't believe people who bought used and plan on getting the replacement used really should be speaking loudly. I'm one of the few left on the board that bought new as so many others have moved on to other brands. I'm still very happy and would want the car as an addition not a replacement.

Lastly I again respectfully disagree that their rep is exactly what they want it to be as the current rep is of a company on a downward slip quality wise as well as products that are considered "ugly" ( plenum ) and boring. Honda wants to be green but their hybrid sales are some of the lowest in the industry.

The ZDX , Crosstour , CRZ and new Civic have all had mediocre reviews with sales to match. True the Civic has been constrained by parts shortages but it's also taken so many hits from the media that Honda has moved up it's MMC to address issues. I can't see this as being the rep that any company would want.

Last edited:
I hope you are right wingz. The editorial by Ron Kiino in Motor Trend this month speaks volumes and I can't help but to agree with him. I currently own 4 Honda's and have owned many in the past. I am a "Honda Fanboy", or used to be. There is not one product that Honda produces and sells here in the States that I would buy. I'm currently in the market for a new car and I have no intentions on buying another Honda. It is not that I am disgruntled; I simply don't like their offerings. They need to straighten their priorities out and this "green" initiative does not speak to me, not when it utterly lacks performance.

The Honda fans were complaining years back , but this past year there have been so many editorials on "What's wrong with Honda" it's getting hard to keep up.

The CR blast on the Civic was the ultimate slap/wake up to Honda and really put them on front street. CR had been one of the organizations that spread the word about how great Hondas were and their refute really stung.

Honda has blatantly ignored their old base for years and still been profitable but enthusiast consumers like you and others no longer buying is taking a toll. There is absolutely no reason for Honda to not have picked up market share when Toyota was having their problems. Instead they've consistently lost market share. Old fans are not only not purchasing they're also not recommending Hondas to friends and family members. That adds up.

Without a good fan base and incredibly stiff new competition how do they keep let alone add customers??

I agree with the above. I'm in the market for a new vehicle and NOTHING in their line up appeals to me.

My stable consists of five Honda/Acura products (including a S2000 & NSX) with the addition of an Accord, 2G Acura RL & 2G Honda Pilot. It is coming time to replace the Accord and like others, I will be looking elsewhere.

Wingz, you are correct, the Honda enthusiast crowd WAS a sizeable group that from my perspective purchased multiple Honda products and WERE the evangelists for their products. We the enthusiast USED to proudly talk about how great their products were, not so much anymore....sad.

From what I'm seeing, Honda (and in particular Acura) is on the same path as Olsmobile and Plymouth. Their designs (particularly Acuras) are unappealing to many enthusiasts and I haven't seen it garner many new clients.

All this talk about a "new" NSX is likely marketing fluff. They may release something but it will be lame from a performance perspective and unattractive from a stylistic standpoint, so much so that many will pass the vehicle over.

More proof is every year there are at least one or two ( or more ) Hondas/Acuras on the flop list. The ZDX can't get of the list. This year a bread and butter car the Civic made the list. I believe this is due to parts shortages but still look at how quick Hondas instantly get written off. Again how can any company be happy with this kind of reputation.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/worst-car-flops-of-2011.html?page=all

Ummm... I hate to say this but from a sales standpoint you can certainly argue the NSX was a flop.

Ummm... I hate to say this but from a sales standpoint you can certainly argue the NSX was a flop.

I owned this car for many years and not until I made the trip to the 20yr Fiesta in Japan did I realize that they never intended or expected to sell them in large numbers. I began to understand how special this car was to the people at Honda . It was "an exercise in engineering", a gift to themselves that they shared with a about 18,000 lucky people who understood and "got it".

It was lovingly crafted. Welded, painted and assembled by their very best by hand.

Like the Bonsai, it was never supposed to grow into something huge in size.

I was warmed by this realization and look at this car with a renewed and different appreciation since.

Back