Top Gear: C6 Corvette video (drag race with NSX)

Oh yes. That was funny. It is what many of us already know. The Corvette is a no nonsense awsome performance machine, but little else. I know that will make a lot of people angry, but that video showed a lot of the reasons why some of us don't buy the Corvette even if it has awsome performance. I love how they tap all the interior plastic showing how (In their eyes at least) cheap the interior is, and also how they push on the rear end of the car showing how much flex the plastic bumper has. They sure do make fun of the rear leaf springs:D Anyway, the Corvette did end up turning in some of the fastest laps on their circuit. I thought it was funny when the guy asked "Where do they (America) get all this plastic. This is from the guys who landed on the moon? Or something like that.

hehehe.... that was funny. ChrisK sums it up nicely; it shows the awesome raw power, but all the little weaknesses.

With regards the NSX coming 2nd in that trial, we all see what we want to see. And i see that as a victory. :D But it's a pity they didn't do a best of three... average out the performances. Awesome how the NSX dominated the pack at the start but only lost at the top end.

Great 20MByte clip. Thanx for sharing. :cool:

Still a bit surprised abvout the result of the drag race... the Porsche was too slow... or the NSX too fast.

I would have guessed: 1. TVR, 2. C06, 3. NSX and Porsche... yes the NSX semmed too fast! :)

NSX had an awesome start of the line...

Excellent Vid!

Great vid find..thanks for sharing..I would have thought Chevy would have addressed all the previous Vette owners complaints about the cheap build of the cars but I guess not..

I like the heads up display and cool G-Meter but the NSX is still #1 in my book!

That video had me laughing histerically! :D :D ...so true.

...I still like what the C6 has evolved to be though...all tasteful changes IMO.

...I firmly don't believe the drag was a fluke, or staged for the NSX to be dominant...there was absolutely no reason for a bias like that....just a superior designs off the line performance on that track/surface ;)

The rear suspension of: an ox cart,Charlton Hestons' chariot,viatnamese suspension? lol

You guys know that in a drag race, a 97 NSX will show the C5 Vette the tail-lights, and the 2002-2004 will EASILY outpacing the C5 Vette. Go into the "video" gallery, there is a video of a NSX passing a Corvette. The NSX will lose to the ZO6, but the regular Vette: "Wow, where is all that extra torque and hp go?"

With my somewhat modded 91-92 NSXes, I have never break a sweat over a C5. Too easy!

Considering Top Gear don't necessarily like the NSX all that much, they have no reason to make it 'go faster than it really is'.

No surprise the TVR is quicker, 360bhp and roughly 1100kg. Round corners is a different matter though.

I know there is no reason, I did not imply any "setup". Only that the NSX maybe started better or the Porsche/C6 started in a worse way, or some mis-shift or.. or... or... anyway I am happy that the NSX won! :D

j14nsx said:
No surprise the TVR is quicker, 360bhp and roughly 1100kg. Round corners is a different matter though.

You mean that the TVR would have been even better, am I correct? :p

I saw one in Monza and it was very precise and fast around the corners, but it is normal being that light! :cool:

ha I like how it says 'roughly' the same hp

nsx = 290
tvr = 350
vette = 400

In all fairness with good tires the vette probably would have done better (what are the stock tires?), seems the wheel spin was the main issue. NSX MR design makes for a nice launch

NSX/MR2 said:
You guys know that in a drag race, a 97 NSX will show the C5 Vette the tail-lights, and the 2002-2004 will EASILY outpacing the C5 Vette. Go into the "video" gallery, there is a video of a NSX passing a Corvette. The NSX will lose to the ZO6, but the regular Vette: "Wow, where is all that extra torque and hp go?"

With my somewhat modded 91-92 NSXes, I have never break a sweat over a C5. Too easy!

Come one now, I don't think this is that completely accurate. I had a C5 and while I love my NSX more in every way (except torque:) ), in a drag race, it would be difficult for an unmodded 97 to pull on a stock C5 vette if at all and a 2004 would not easily outpace a C5 vette. Even the C5 ran 4.7 second 0 to 60 times, with 345 HP weighing 60 pounds more than the 97 NSX. Edmunds seems to think the 97 NSX does 0 to 60 in 5.8, but we all know that is way off. It should do that in about 4.8 right?

I'm on your side on the potential of the NSX, but the C5 was no slouch either from a performance point of view. Quality is a different story however. ;)

C5 vs 97+ NSX is coming down to driver, period. I was a long time member of the Corvette forum and dont let all the whining on that thread fool you. The Vette forum is one of the most extremely biased, anti "foreign" sites in existance. Thats a case of being able to dish it out, but not take it.

Really the best answer to this question was provided by Road and Track in March 2002 in the Z06, 911, NSX showdown. The NSX was pretty much identical to a 911 C2 in performance and both lagged a bit behind the Z06. With the performance delta between base C5 and Z06 being a very known quantity, its pretty easy to infer that the C5/911/NSX are very even.

The C6 and 997 will open a lead for those cars over the NSX. The drag race was almost undoubtedly the result of wheelspin (didnt he even say "a bit of wheelspin off the line"???)

With so little torque, the NSX is easy to launch. On a good launch and with good drivers, there's no way the NSX is passing a C6 (the C6 is fairly close to the current Z06 in a straight line).

On the Vette forum, though, there is a culture of victimization. EVERY publication is biased, EVERY publication uses bad drivers. ANY time the Vette is not named the greatest car in existance, there's a riot. The NSX "sucks" the 911 is "overpriced garbage" the Viper is "still a Dodge", the M3 is "a timebomb and not even a real sports car". It's always something.

One thing cool about NSX Prime is that the NSX is represented pretty honestly (good AND bad).

No, i love to race, on a race or from the dig. The 2002-2004 NSX will smoke the Vette bad. They are 12s cars, the Vette is not.
The 97 and up NSX, they will beat the Vette, though you don't feel it is going as fast because the NSX's power is so linear and the car just pull. The 97-01 NSXes are low 13s cars. The 91-96 NSX is mid to high 13s cars and can easily make up some time with some light mods.

Here is from our own board. He drag raced quite a bit, ask him if you don't think the NSX will torch the Vette.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36559

The other one is from Best Motoring. In the end, the C5 Vette is too heavy and can't hook up as well as the NSX. You are talking about a car that is vastly more expensive. That technology has got to go somewhere. Even some of the other cars' boards like Supraforum and RX7 board shows the NSX some respect (they hate the NSX.)

However, I do agree that most of the time, since the cars are close enough in performance, drivers will be more than be able to make up for it.

Attachments

• nsxtypesquarter.jpg
    nsxtypesquarter.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 4,741
NSX/MR2 said:
No, i love to race, on a race or from the dig. The 2002-2004 NSX will smoke the Vette bad. They are 12s cars, the Vette is not.

This is just wrong. If anything, its the NSX that has to try hard to prove its a 12 second car. Its not easy at all to get a 6 speed NSX below 13 in the 1/4.

With the C5, I've personally watched plenty of STOCK 6 speed C5s run 12.7-12.9 with decent drivers.

A VERY fair and even comparison with NO biases at all is here:

http://popularmechanics.com/popmech/auto3/9907AUCTBM.html#6

The C5 weights less than 3200 lbs, so I dont know what you're talking about that it's "too heavy".

ChrisK said:
I know that will make a lot of people angry, but that video showed a lot of the reasons why some of us don't buy the Corvette....

....or any American vehicle for that matter. When will we learn how to build quality into our cars?

spookyp said:
This is just wrong. If anything, its the NSX that has to try hard to prove its a 12 second car. Its not easy at all to get a 6 speed NSX below 13 in the 1/4.

With the C5, I've personally watched plenty of STOCK 6 speed C5s run 12.7-12.9 with decent drivers.

The C5 weights less than 3200 lbs, so I dont know what you're talking about that it's "too heavy".

And I have know of ZO6 that pulled 13.7s and NSX pull 14.3s. So what is your point? Drivers sucked! On average, the time for the NSX is better than the time for the C5 Vette. The main question is "Are you sure you should be driving the NSX"?

Read this guy review! I know him and know that he has driven more cars then any of us can think of. Bring the page down, you will get to the C5 Corvette part.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36253

And why are you arguing with me? What is this thread about? Read it carefully!

Last edited:
Nothing personal but the very nature of this relatively light thread is turning :mad: simply because someone is being very definate that a stock 6 speed nsx is a 12 second car no sweat, and a 400 hp vette with maybe a few more pounds cant beat it in a drag race is ridiculous.Why would you post speculation and personal opinions in such a way as to describe fact?Silly,, so before folks start arguing about what is one moment in time with too many extrinsic variables think!:p I watched the vid and the vette had a horrid launch.I thought the comments about the vettes' susp design and fit and finish were funny and well done.

I'm still waiting the download's being complete

anyway,
The other one is from Best Motoring. In the end, the C5 Vette is too heavy and can't hook up as well as the NSX. You are talking about a car that is vastly more expensive. That technology has got to go somewhere. Even some of the other cars' boards like Supraforum and RX7 board shows the NSX some respect (they hate the NSX.)

Please note that the Best Motorsing Drag testing is 0-400meters... so the time should look much better than your normal 1/4 mile times...

Back