Today's DN-X announcement indicates that the NSX will not have a successor.

It seems that the evidence against an NSX successor is piling up at a quick rate. Honda has been getting very fiscally conservative over the past few years in terms of product offerings and overall market strategy, and the practical four seat DN-X makes a lot more financial sense than another two seat sports coupe ever could.

No one is sure what the DN-X will cost, but lets say it will come in around the price of a BMW 540 sedan, or a little higher, say $50K - 60K. In that price sector it will compete directly with Audi's S4, Cadillac's upcomming CTSi, to some extent the new BMW M5, and a few AMG-badged MB models.

The sales volume potential for a four door sports car is a magnitude higher than that of a two door sports car, particularly with Americans now having more than "2.3" kids for the first time in two generations based on the last census' results.

It might be fun to speculate that the DN-X's powerplant could make its way into a slightly revised NSX chassis sometime down the road, but it just doesn't seem that Honda is willing to chase the fickle sports coupe demographic any longer.

It's a sad day today for true NSX fans in my mind as it seems we're never going to see Honda stretch their legs and put a technological beat down on Porsche, Ferrari, etc, as they did in 1990. This time the beat down might take place in the four door sports sedan category, god knows 42MPG would be nice considering the current political climate of the middle east, but I could care less.

Got to have two doors if I'm going to own it.

Someone should tell Elliott, that it's certainly not a sports car.

I think every NSX owner here should write Honda and let them know how we feel. Not that it would matter.

Looks like my next sports car will be the Ford GT40.

-Jim

PS: Does anyone have the contact addresses for Honda management, including Elliott?

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 03 October 2002).]

Come on, guys - get serious instead of flying off on a rant. The article doesn't say that there won't be another NSX. In fact, it doesn't say anything about the future of the NSX at all.

I know the article doesn't say anything about the NSX, but if there isn't another NSX on the drawing boards, then we need to hold on to the ones we got!

Just imagine how much they'll apreciate in value if Honda doesn't produced it anymore.

No, it doesn't say anything about the NSX...

But it certainly does sound like Honda/Acura is trying to portray this DN-X as a "sports car".

“Don’t let the four doors fool you,” American Honda’s executive vice president Tom Elliott said back then. “The DN-X concept is all sports car.”

At this point, it does indeed seem less likely and not more likely that there's going to be another NSX.

I think the best we could now expect is for Honda to put in the 300 HP i-VTEC engine mentioned in the article.

It also seems reasonable to assume that the facelift was meant as a long term remedy in lieu of an all new design.

I don't see where it would hurt to write Honda and let them know what the NSX community thinks.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

I realize that I'm in the minority here, but I like the DN-X. I hope there's a future for the NSX as well, but I have nothing bad to say about the DN-X.

-Bob

Bob,

I don't think anyone has really criticized the DN-X.

I think a 400HP Honda hybrid sports sedan is a nifty idea.

I'm not really enamored on the DN-X styling, but the final production car might look better than the prototype.

But, it's certainly not a replacement for the NSX, nor is it a sports car.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

While it is certainly no more than mere conjecture (which I believe this thread encourages), I have thought for some time now that Honda will axe the NSX at the end of the present "model" run. I think that the most likely scenerio is that we will see Honda reenter the sports car fray some time later in the decade with a different car, but that the NSX as we know it is bound for extinction. That's precisely why I bought my 2001 Coupe; I was convinced that it was the last of the breed. There has never been, and will never again be, a car like the NSX that we all know and love. JMWO (Just my worthless opinion
smile.gif
)

For the first time, I really think it's a distinct possibility that the current NSX will be the last.

And the current one might not be around that much longer either.

I'd be curious to find out where Honda plans to build the DN-X. If it's Tochigi, there might not be enough room to build the Insight, NSX and the DN-X.

-Jim

PS: Conjecture and discussion is good!

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I'm not really enamored on the DN-X styling, but the final production car might look better than the prototype.

But, it's certainly not a replacement for the NSX, nor is it a sports car.

Anyone have a link to a pic of the DN-X or prototype pics???

See, this is how rumors get started.

They didn't say that the NSX will no longer be manufactured nor does it say they will continue to do so.

People in here who project the extinction of the NSX is going on nothing but unsubstantiated FEELING.

IMO, that doesn't mean JACK.

Khuezee,

You can do a Google search for "DN-X"...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=DN-X&btnG=Google+Search

Or do a DNX Search on Wieck...

http://www.wieck.com/publ ic/*wieck_search?ws4d_nav=true&operator=and&source=wik&source=wka&source=wkt&Page=3&search_criteria=DNX&submit_button=Search

Joel,

Take it easy, there guy. No one has started any rumors. We're just chatting and offering our opinions. It's OK. The world isn't going to stop because of some informed conjecture or a few opinions in a chat room.

-Jim

PS: So....since the DN-X (or whatever it's going to be called) will be an Acura Sports Car (according to Acura) will DN-X owners be allow to join the NSXCA?
wink.gif

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Originally posted by Joel:
They didn't say that the NSX will no longer be manufactured nor does it say they will continue to do so.

People in here who project the extinction of the NSX is going on nothing but unsubstantiated FEELING.

I agree that it doesn't mean anything, but why can't Honda just say if there will or won't be a "Next Gen" NSX?

Maybe I'm missing something, but what is the harm in them doing that?

I don't think I can ever remember a car company doing that.

In general a car company would like to keep all their options open and approach these things from a positive point of view.

One positive way to look at this would be...

It Honda does decide to keep the NSX around, it does seem likely that it would at least get the 300 HP i-VTEC engine used in the DN-X.....Or maybe even a slightly hotter version more suitable for a real sports car.
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

I'd be curious to find out where Honda plans to build the DN-X. If it's Tochigi, there might not be enough room to build the Insight, NSX and the DN-X.

Well, the Insight is probably not going to be continued too much longer, now that the Civic Hybrid is on the market. And if they discontinue the S2000 at that point, that will be another 5,000 cars per year that will no longer be built there.

PS: So....since the DN-X (or whatever it's going to be called) will be an Acura Sports Car (according to Acura) will DN-X owners be allow to join the NSXCA?

Of course. After all, NSX ownership is not a requirement for joining the NSX Club of America. So DN-X owners can join, Supra owners can join... heck, even MR-2 owners can join.
biggrin.gif

I've been saying it all along and I sitll believe it. Hold on to your NSXs because there won't be another one. That four door looks like the way to go, they will sell a ton of those -and it won't have three hundred horses, it will have more than 350 horses, perhaps 400 hundred with the addition of the electric motor - just my guess of course. In fact, that would make a hell of a daily driver!!

The DN-X concept is a very clear sign that there is an next gen. NSX. No necessary the same powertrain, but will have the same basic platform to reduce development and component costs. And hence lower the cost of the next gen. NSX. The current one cost so much because it does not share platform with other vehicles and it has low volume, which makes Honda jack up the price and amortize it over a long life. Hence it makes sense we have an relatively expensive NSX which hasn't changed much in 13 years.

Engine wise, the V6 IMA will have many applications in the Honda line up and they can tune it differently for each vehicle(Again, commonize components). While it is possible the NSX may receive a high tune version of the engine, it is also highly probably there may be a second NSX engine option with a V8. Here's the reasoning, the DN-X has a wider engine compartment to allow room for the rear IMA. The IMA unit is mounted in line betweent the engine and the transmission. So if you remove the IMA from the V6, you have plently of room for a V8 to accomodate the extra set of cylinder. And the engine can retain the same transverse mounted configuration. The DNX design leaves room for many options. A V8 isn't that hard to do for Honda, just new crank and block and throw in parts from the s2000. The V8 will be expensive unless Honda share the engine with other vehicles in the lineup.

Don't be surprised if 3 vehicles are spun off the DNX platform. You have the sedan version, a $60K NSX with V6, and a much more expensive V8 NSX.

It's all very possible..

I don't think it's highly probable that Honda/Acura will use a V8 in ANY vehicle.

Honda has said on the record that the next RL will use a V6.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

How nice would it be to currently own the car that may star in Fast & Furious II, and could possibly be on the verge of being taken out of production? Man, what a dream that would be. Turn that DEpreciation into some APpreciation!

Yeah, but you would have to sell it in order to realize a gain....if at all.

I would much rather own my NSX and be part of a growing and vital community of NSX enthusiasts and be able to look forward to the hope of a worthy successor THAN...

...have to give up the car I truly love in exchange for some modest financial gain. I didn't buy my NSX to be an investment and cars are rarely investments anyway.

If someone offered me $60K for my NSX today, I'd sell it, only to buy another.

I really hope Honda sees the light and continues the NSX.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

To follow up on this thread with more thoughts, this DN-X info seems to intersect very well with the S2200 coupe rumors. It makes sense to cancel the wildly unprofitable NSX, introduce a much more marketable four door sports car with an interesting story (hybrid) while also still keeping a two seat hardtop sports car available for the die-hards (S2200) that DOES make a profit.

The pieces of the puzzle are all coming together now. I feel more strongly than ever that the NSX is dead, or will live on at 200 units a year in its current iteration for a few more years at best.

I have no problem with this course of action. Sure I'd love to see an NSX II, but to me the original NSX was/is/will-be pretty damn good for quite some time. A Ferrari 360 it's not. But it's also about $90K less (assuming you buy a slighty used 2000 model NSX-T for say $55 to $60K and low mileage.)

I can live with that. Plus if I ever do want to step up to a $150K supercar at some point, the car that seems to be closest to what most of us would want an "NSX II" to be is the new baby Lambo. With 4WD, 500HP, 3,150lbs, and mini-murcielago looks, I'm sold.

Now who wants to loan me $150K?

Originally posted by MAKO:

I have no problem with this course of action. Sure I'd love to see an NSX II, but to me the original NSX was/is/will-be pretty damn good for quite some time

I agree. Since We have no evidence of what the next NSX is and its specs, if there happens to be NONE. Then what are we really missing out on other then pure speculation?? I am happy with what I got. We can all say that we have one of the only 8,000 (approximately) NSXs made.

Originally posted by khuezee:
We can all say that we have one of the only 8,000 (approximately) NSXs made.

All of us in the States can say that we have one of the only 8,000 (approximately) NSXs sold in the United States. Worldwide production to date is somewhere around 20,000.

Back