Tip: Clean your car before selling

....Not so good I suspect - guys when it comes time for you to plunk down your hard earned cash and get a car in really good condition - what's that worth to you??? NSX white, ohhhh boy, it's not and never will be an NSX-R ok, NOTTTT! It's a white car and why do you think they only made a few of em then - do you think it could possibly be that people weren't asking for white????? Whadaya think ....mmmm. So where's the money - anybody really ready to part with it and take on the task????...

I skipped past all of the other anger in your post to meet this point because it is one that I have first hand knowledge with, and one that I think you should reconsider quite simply because in today's market you are dead wrong. I believe you may have ignored a simple concept called 'supply and demand', which is reinforced more by the concept of 'you always want what you cannot have'.

As the owner of 1 of 20 Grand Prix White NSXs made during the 1994 model year with Onyx interior and a 5 speed transmission, I have lost track of the amount of people that have made serious offers to buy my car from me simply because of the color combination. The fact that when the car could be ordered new that fewer people chose white is almost chiefly responsible for the reason this is happening. If just any putz with a checkbook could still order a new one, this probably would not be happening as much, but the fact is that no more are being built in Grand Prix White, and the ones that are out there are few and far between, with nice ones being even fewer....well, then cars like mine (and the one that is for sale) become more sought after.

You do not have to like it, and since you do not have a Grand Prix White NSX, then I am guessing you have no idea what I am talking about. If I wanted to find a nice Formula Red NSX I could do that by tomorrow....all year long. Try doing the same with Grand Prix White. Not quite as easy to do as often. You do not have to like it, but you cannot rationally ignore it.

Now, am I saying you can ask the farm for a turd just because it is Grand Prix White? Nope. Not in a million years. But turd for turd...the same Grand Prix White one will be worth more than the more common colors every day of the week. Simple supply and demand.

Last edited:
... what is it you read this thread to determine? Are you buying or thinking of buying or just reading with intent to assist someone else with this prospective or potential purchase?

I started reading so that I may be of help to someone. Now I'm in it for the entertainment. :wink:

I skipped past all of the other anger in your post to meet this point because it is one that I have first hand knowledge with, and one that I think you should reconsider quite simply because in today's market you are dead wrong. I believe you may have ignored a simple concept called 'supply and demand', which is reinforced more by the concept of 'you always want what you cannot have'.

As the owner of 1 of 20 Grand Prix White NSXs made during the 1994 model year with Onyx interior and a 5 speed transmission, I have lost track of the amount of people that have made serious offers to buy my car from me simply because of the color combination. The fact that when the car could be ordered new that fewer people chose white is almost chiefly responsible for the reason this is happening. If just any putz with a checkbook could still order a new one, this probably would not be happening as much, but the fact is that no more are being built in Grand Prix White, and the ones that are out there are few and far between, with nice ones being even fewer....well, then cars like mine (and the one that is for sale) become more sought after.

You do not have to like it, and since you do not have a Grand Prix White NSX, then I am guessing you have no idea what I am talking about. If I wanted to find a nice Formula Red NSX I could do that by tomorrow....all year long. Try doing the same with Grand Prix White. Not quite as easy to do as often. You do not have to like it, but you cannot rationally ignore it.

Now, am I saying you can ask the farm for a turd just because it is Grand Prix White? Nope. Not in a million years. But turd for turd...the same Grand Prix White one will be worth more than the more common colors every day of the week. Simple supply and demand.

Mitch , Me being one of those offers for your car I agree with your post 100%

GPW>Sebring>LBBP>IMOLA> etc. etc.

White is HOTTTT right now.. LBBP was hott a couple years ago along with imola.. Its all supply and demand..

You know guys I can relate to white being hot right now - coupes/white = hot. Targa white isn't so hot. You can take a coupe and make it a first gen knock off of an NSX-R. Unless you want to paint the top on the white targa then what is it that makes you think it's so hot. Just because there aren't so many of them doesn't make em hot. I like white and I wish I could have been the lucky guy that bought that one that sold earlier this year to rollingthunder - the 93 that was in great shape low miles and all the service up to date and no dings, no dents, nothing but original paint on a 17k mile car and the radio had been completely gone thru and rebuilt by the best rebuilder known. New tires etc.

Now this current car here - if anyone read the the stuff from the guy that went and saw it - now when did that happen - was that on Sunday? Must have been this weekend Sat. or Sun. Ok, guy said clutch was almost done, finis, Kaput! Anyone other than me paying attention right now. Ok, so now you know the clutch needs replacement so add that to the list I prepared on the other page and add it up again.

Paint - it needs some paint work -ok - how much - maybe $1000?
Needs Timing belt, water pump, hoses and fluids - what's that cost - 2400, ok let's just say $2400
Ok, now we know it needs a clutch - what's that - how bout $4000 min.
Ok, now what about tires and the wheel rash - what's that worth - ok - let's say $1400 - that ok. So now where does that leave us now? Oh, forgot something here didn't I - oh yes the stereo - oh, and the antenna doesn't work either - the stereo speakers pop and crack. Ok so now add another 1000.

$9800 ok that's what I see here and the car has what 47k miles or something. My point with no anger, except that it seems that someone is ready to gloss over the needs this car and has a rather inflated view of what white is worth perhaps, is this the guy selling this car that hasn't been driven for 13 months since the owner died and it wasn't taken care of for that entire time and was allowed to get dirty, now has scratches on it that need paint repair, and a list of deffered maintenance that almost totals 10k. Wow - ok now you take 10k under the very best circumstances from a perfect car which this is not cause the miles are too high - and what is it that you have. 44k for a perfect car, regardless of color although I would say red would be the least "hot" for a color, ok so it's not red, and it will never be a perfect car cause it will have paint work and higher miles - so right there my guess is in as perfect a condition as this car can be in with all the service issues addressed is somewhere around 42 maybe, I mean maybe 43k --so you guys tell me what's this car worth to you as it sits right now and we've taken the purchasers time involved with hasseling all this out with 3 different trades - mechanical, body and electrical (radio)?

Is it not worth 33k - mmm seems like someone offered him that - funny. Sounds to me like someone offered him what the car is worth doesn't it. Any one reading this. So now what's the argument? Where is this list off? Am I about right on the expense of the list to the prospective purchaser? I'm close I know that.

I don't have to make any argument here it's all facts. This is not hypothetical it's based on real info from inspections. This is all based on a car that perhaps a couple of years ago in perfect shape would have might have sold for 46k, but this isn't a couple of years ago - it's right now in the middle of an economic crisis isn't it. People that are looking to spend this kind of money on an NSX and go thru getting it in shape to drive are not running around all over the place with dollar bills or big checks in their hands. So I believe the owner has gotten fair offers. If he's got an offer for more than 33k then TAKE IT! If you have an offer for 35k - then by all means let it go.

That's my advice, for what it's worth. If anyone has a detailed counter to this I'd love to hear or see it. I bet everyone else would too. So instead of guys just bashing me and talking about color and desireability let's get to the meat of it. You see my list - where is the alternative? What am I missing? Obviously someone has made an offer, understands the issues and is ready to buy. Bet that fellow has gone thru the same scenario I'm putting out here in my post. I even bet that Source's offer is close to what I'm saying it should be.

I hope you get the car Source! I hope you pay a reasonable price for it too.:smile:

You know guys I can relate to white being hot right now - coupes/white = hot. Targa white isn't so hot. You can take a coupe and make it a first gen knock off of an NSX-R. Unless you want to paint the top on the white targa then what is it that makes you think it's so hot. Just because there aren't so many of them doesn't make em hot. I like white and I wish I could have been the lucky guy that bought that one that sold earlier this year to rollingthunder - the 93 that was in great shape low miles and all the service up to date and no dings, no dents, nothing but original paint on a 17k mile car and the radio had been completely gone thru and rebuilt by the best rebuilder known. New tires etc.

Now this current car here - if anyone read the the stuff from the guy that went and saw it - now when did that happen - was that on Sunday? Must have been this weekend Sat. or Sun. Ok, guy said clutch was almost done, finis, Kaput! Anyone other than me paying attention right now. Ok, so now you know the clutch needs replacement so add that to the list I prepared on the other page and add it up again.

Paint - it needs some paint work -ok - how much - maybe $1000?
Needs Timing belt, water pump, hoses and fluids - what's that cost - 2400, ok let's just say $2400
Ok, now we know it needs a clutch - what's that - how bout $4000 min.
Ok, now what about tires and the wheel rash - what's that worth - ok - let's say $1400 - that ok. So now where does that leave us now? Oh, forgot something here didn't I - oh yes the stereo - oh, and the antenna doesn't work either - the stereo speakers pop and crack. Ok so now add another 1000.

$9800 ok that's what I see here and the car has what 47k miles or something. My point with no anger, except that it seems that someone is ready to gloss over the needs this car and has a rather inflated view of what white is worth perhaps, is this the guy selling this car that hasn't been driven for 13 months since the owner died and it wasn't taken care of for that entire time and was allowed to get dirty, now has scratches on it that need paint repair, and a list of deffered maintenance that almost totals 10k. Wow - ok now you take 10k under the very best circumstances from a perfect car which this is not cause the miles are too high - and what is it that you have. 44k for a perfect car, regardless of color although I would say red would be the least "hot" for a color, ok so it's not red, and it will never be a perfect car cause it will have paint work and higher miles - so right there my guess is in as perfect a condition as this car can be in with all the service issues addressed is somewhere around 42 maybe, I mean maybe 43k --so you guys tell me what's this car worth to you as it sits right now and we've taken the purchasers time involved with hasseling all this out with 3 different trades - mechanical, body and electrical (radio)?

Is it not worth 33k - mmm seems like someone offered him that - funny. Sounds to me like someone offered him what the car is worth doesn't it. Any one reading this. So now what's the argument? Where is this list off? Am I about right on the expense of the list to the prospective purchaser? I'm close I know that.

I don't have to make any argument here it's all facts. This is not hypothetical it's based on real info from inspections. This is all based on a car that perhaps a couple of years ago in perfect shape would have might have sold for 46k, but this isn't a couple of years ago - it's right now in the middle of an economic crisis isn't it. People that are looking to spend this kind of money on an NSX and go thru getting it in shape to drive are not running around all over the place with dollar bills or big checks in their hands. So I believe the owner has gotten fair offers. If he's got an offer for more than 33k then TAKE IT! If you have an offer for 35k - then by all means let it go.

That's my advice, for what it's worth. If anyone has a detailed counter to this I'd love to hear or see it. I bet everyone else would too. So instead of guys just bashing me and talking about color and desireability let's get to the meat of it. You see my list - where is the alternative? What am I missing? Obviously someone has made an offer, understands the issues and is ready to buy. Bet that fellow has gone thru the same scenario I'm putting out here in my post. I even bet that Source's offer is close to what I'm saying it should be.

I hope you get the car Source! I hope you pay a reasonable price for it too.:smile:

DUDE, the car is clean now it's worth even more!

To Ponyboy,

So tell me what is it you find interesting about this thread? Is it that the car is still for sale and you are interested in buying it or the discussion of how you arrive at what the car should sell for? I mean this thread is or should be about how one goes about considering things that the car is going to need because someone here may find it acceptable to buy but needs some idea of how to estimate it's value.

So I ask you, protest or no, what is it you read this thread to determine? Are you buying or thinking of buying or just reading with intent to assist someone else with this prospective or potential purchase?

Just trying to get a grip on what threads like this are for??? Got any idea? You see I've been commenting on this thread since it started. I know you pointed out the scratch on the front of the car.

If you can condense what you're trying to ask me into a single sentence, I'd be happy to answer.

To Poneyboy,

Pick one. Basic is: What is it you feel interesting about this thread?

I mean you commented once about the car; aren't we supposed to be making meaningful comments here. Aren't we supposed to be helping others with our comments - owner of this white one excepted.

If you can't read my simple post to you and devise an answer then I'm not sure if a recap will help.

OH, and thank you Konatown; I appreciate it. Maybe I'm being helpful after all.

Last edited:
Now to the clean now comment: Wait a minute; are you determining all that clean stuff from a few photos? I mean have you actually looked at the car? Seen it in person?

Man- ok I'll clean up a bomb of deffered maintenance for you and sell it at top dollar - are you buying or what?

Dude it's cleaned up now it's more valuable - geez, ok, take it to the detailer and spend 100 bucks and all the other 9800 goes away - is that it. Is that your point - really now - what is your point.

Like one good question: how much was that "cleaning" worth with the list I've put out here?

Man is anybody reading "substance" here or is clean ok with anyone being asked for 39k?

Is this a joke? I wish you would go over there and buy that "hot white" car and give him 40k and then start fixing and if you don't end up with waaaaaay more than you could ever get out of it I will be absolutely amazed. Anyone willing to take that challenge with their hard earned cash?

Somebody isn't reading very carefully. You know there is someone actually thinking of buying this car. Let's hear from him. I would think all of my valuation has to be helping his cause! Any of you other guys short comments doing anything? :rolleyes:

Not that I'm aware of but it seems like many of the threads here are similare doesn't it. I mean we are talking about the same things all the time but different instances. Guess they all start sounding similar after a while.

Watch out though NSXGMS might take offense.....

Last edited:
I would just sit back and watch the price of this car keep dropping like many NSX's seem to do these days. The color is rare and will always help out a little bit with the value. A big influence why I bought my NSX was because there was only one made and should help with resale a little bit. I feel $37,000 is a fair price for this car IMO

Saleen,

If you feel 37k is a good price for this car as is and it needs approx. 9000 bucks worth of work you are putting the final value in as good a shape as it can be in at 47K? Is that right.

I think if you had 47k right now you could get into the 2002+ models - and be buying a newer car with less miles. White or not 47k is a bunch for a 2000 model with 47k miles and paint work. What do you have to support this value? I'm just curious?

If I did not have 2 White NSX's already I would buy this one too at FULL PRICE - because at the end of the day who cares if you pay $2-4K more/less than it may be worth. It should not really be concern if you can afford these cars anyway. Besides I spent $3-4k in flight and accommodations plus 8 months of my time looking for a GPW deal. Eventually the costs of searching outweighed the savings. I gave up, bought my favorite one and preferred to buy it maintenance deferred so that way I know who did it when it was done.

When timing belt and clutch is done together you really only pay the labor for the timing belt which is about
$1200 - $1500 labor
$800 timing belt / water pump parts
$1300 clutch
$3300 -$3500 Total all done

Ask me how I know? I've done both cars.

Best part about it is you can throw in a set of headers for no additional labor cost and have anything else freshened up while your at it. oil pump gear, harmonic balance thingy, whatever, there plenty of reasons to buy maintenance deferred.

speakers are $50-$100 each for high end speakers so less than $200-$400 solves that easily

paint work is $150-$250 per panel so $300-$600 resolves that.

less than $4k at most $4500k and all is done less than half the quoted $9k

Maybe a third GPW NSX would fit nicely in this photo?

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
So why are so many Primers interested in giving an opinion on a car they won't buy?:tongue:

It's sort of like "Golden Girls" but NSX Prime style...:biggrin:

If I did not have 2 White NSX's already I would buy this one too at FULL PRICE - because at the end of the day who cares if you pay $2-4K more/less than it may be worth. It should not really be concern if you can afford these cars anyway. Besides I spent $3-4k in flight and accommodations plus 8 months of my time looking for a GPW deal. Eventually the costs of searching outweighed the savings. I gave up, bought my favorite one and preferred to buy it maintenance deferred so that way I know who did it when it was done.

When timing belt and clutch is done together you really only pay the labor for the timing belt which is about
$1200 - $1500 labor
$1300 clutch

Best part about it is you can throw in a set of headers for no additional labor cost and have anything else freshened up while your at it. oil pump gear, harmonic balance thingy, whatever, there plenty of reasons to buy maintenance deferred.

speakers are $50-$100 each for high end speakers so less than $200-$400 solves that easily

Best post dealing with cost and money in this thread. I think the car is a nice deal at a good price. If it's a car someone wants and they feel like they received a good deal, Then it is a good buy.

btw, paint estimates on the internet are by far the most overpriced and over inflated service purchased.

Last edited:

$1200 - $1500 labor
$1300 clutch

I was just going to point this out. There is no way that costs as much as he says unless he does them on a individual basis one a month.

Please someone tell me where they get an N2 clutch replaced for 1300 bucks - sorry but the parts are more than that - you can't resurface the flywheel and then there's the master and slave. Get a price from any reputable guy - mine would be the "barn man" - Barney - and he'll tell you right away that an N2 clutch is more than 1300 w/o a doubt.

Anyone else here had an N2 clutch replaced for 1300 with a flywheel, master and slave? Heck my N1 clutch, flywheel, master and slave was 2400 from Barney and you can't get it for less - that would be a challenge to anyone willing to accept it - unless you are doing the work yourself and even still you can't get the parts for a flywheel and clutch assembly on an N2 for 1300. So how's that accurate?

TB/WP/hoses - 1300 min. - I'll buy that - I did - Barney did it. Best I've heard is 4 grand for the total clutch package on an N2. By the way - I had it all done at the same time and I didn't get the clutch labor thrown in with the TB/WP/hoses - I don't know who Patricio has locked up as a serf around his house working off whatever - excuse me but no way. You guys have had this done - am I wrong?

So now we're at a conservative 5300 and we haven't touched the paint. So lets use 300 to 600 - say it's 400 - now we're at 5700 and we haven't done any fluids - valve adjust- so conservatively we're at 6000 and we haven't done the radio or antenna which is missing by the way.

So at best maybe you could get out for around 6500 - not 3500 like this guy is mentioning which doesn't really address all the issues the white one has. Also who's doing Patricio's work? The guy that buys this car will be doing it where he lives and hopefully he'll have a good "cheap" mechanic to do it or will he? Big question mark!

Next Patricio is spending someone elses coin isn't he - imagine 2k to 4k not being an issue to anyone......mmmmm....very interesting - nice to be in that position - wonder how many here fit that description?

So Patricio is ready to spend full price and take on all the adds cause in the end looking all over the country for a white coupe has cost him 3 to 4k and 8 mos. of his time - what, pray tell, did all that work turn up for you? Please describe the vehicle you bought and what you paid -- is that too much to ask. Let us be the judge of what you turned up as being anywhere remotely parallel to this white one. I just love this "take my word for it" stuff about deals and flying all over the country - must be one picky dude. If I read between the lines, speaking for Patricio, which is always dangerous, I'd say his logic would be this: "go ahead and buy the first white one that comes up and no matter what you spend on a car with 47k miles it will be worth it even if you have to deal with deffered maintenance and even at full price - that would be 39k with around 6k in maintenance - about - and then you have this car and around 45k in it.

Man for that money if you like the last gen cars - the 2002-05 models you could get one for that- I've seen them and if you have a little more "mad" money - then why in the hell wouldn't you spend it on the newest one you can find with low miles in the best condition - and pardon me for adding- I wouldn't have to fly all over the country spending 3 to 4k to do it. There are things like pictures, local primers and ppi's right?

So excuse me - explain to me when looking around right now with prices at all time lows and deals to be had is this white one such a great deal? There are others on sale now that are better for the money - I've seen the ads and some are on prime. Patricio's stuff doesn't really compute to me. I hope Patricio responds and tells us what his search of 8 mos. provided him in a car with some details of miles and condition and price, etc.

Oh, has anyone looking for white considered the primers white later model coupe - it's expensive but hey - got some mad money - it's a jewel if it's still for sale.

This is interesting.

Last edited:
Please someone tell me where they get an N2 clutch replaced for 1300 bucks - sorry but the parts are more than that - you can't resurface the flywheel and then there's the master and slave. Get a price from any reputable guy - mine would be the "barn man" - Barney - and he'll tell you right away that an N2 clutch is more than 1300 w/o a doubt.

Anyone else here had an N2 clutch replaced for 1300 with a flywheel, master and slave? Heck my N1 clutch, flywheel, master and slave was 2400 from Barney and you can't get it for less - that would be a challenge to anyone willing to accept it - unless you are doing the work yourself and even still you can't get the parts for a flywheel and clutch assembly on an N2 for 1300. So how's that accurate?

TB/WP/hoses - 1300 min. - I'll buy that - I did - Barney did it. Best I've heard is 4 grand for the total clutch package on an N2. By the way - I had it all done at the same time and I didn't get the clutch labor thrown in with the TB/WP/hoses - I don't know who Patricio has locked up as a serf around his house working off whatever - excuse me but no way. You guys have had this done - am I wrong?

So now we're at a conservative 5300 and we haven't touched the paint. So lets use 300 to 600 - say it's 400 - now we're at 5700 and we haven't done any fluids - valve adjust- so conservatively we're at 6000 and we haven't done the radio or antenna which is missing by the way.

So at best maybe you could get out for around 6500 - not 3500 like this guy is mentioning which doesn't really address all the issues the white one has. Also who's doing Patricio's work? The guy that buys this car will be doing it where he lives and hopefully he'll have a good "cheap" mechanic to do it or will he? Big question mark!

Next Patricio is spending someone elses coin isn't he - imagine 2k to 4k not being an issue to anyone......mmmmm....very interesting - nice to be in that position - wonder how many here fit that description?

So Patricio is ready to spend full price and take on all the adds cause in the end looking all over the country for a white coupe has cost him 3 to 4k and 8 mos. of his time - what, pray tell, did all that work turn up for you? Please describe the vehicle you bought and what you paid -- is that too much to ask. Let us be the judge of what you turned up as being anywhere remotely parallel to this white one. I just love this "take my word for it" stuff about deals and flying all over the country - must be one picky dude. If I read between the lines, speaking for Patricio, which is always dangerous, I'd say his logic would be this: "go ahead and buy the first white one that comes up and no matter what you spend on a car with 47k miles it will be worth it even if you have to deal with deffered maintenance and even at full price - that would be 39k with around 6k in maintenance - about - and then you have this car and around 45k in it.

Man for that money if you like the last gen cars - the 2002-05 models you could get one for that- I've seen them and if you have a little more "mad" money - then why in the hell wouldn't you spend it on the newest one you can find with low miles in the best condition - and pardon me for adding- I wouldn't have to fly all over the country spending 3 to 4k to do it. There are things like pictures, local primers and ppi's right?

So excuse me - explain to me when looking around right now with prices at all time lows and deals to be had is this white one such a great deal? There are others on sale now that are better for the money - I've seen the ads and some are on prime. Patricio's stuff doesn't really compute to me. I hope Patricio responds and tells us what his search of 8 mos. provided him in a car with some details of miles and condition and price, etc.

Oh, has anyone looking for white considered the primers white later model coupe - it's expensive but hey - got some mad money - it's a jewel if it's still for sale.

This is interesting.

I'm not going to waste my time justifying the hundreds of variables I took into consideration to my purchase my car.... Please leave your assumptions of me to yourself... Many primers know me personally and my passion for the NSX just as well my disgust for tasteless aggressive posts online such as yours.

My first year on NSXprime I pissed quite a few people off with posts such as yours, and then I realized even though I know a hell of allot about the NSX there are people on here that know 10 times as much.
In this instance I posted regarding maintenance costs and also suggested for people to also figure in realistic costs of searching for a car. You are taking this personally and since you also misread my post regarding combined labor costs, have gone off on a 10+ paragraph spew of assumptions of my mechanics and spending other peoples money.

I quoted $3k-4K in searching you used 4k against me.
I quoted $4000-$4500 total with paint and misc. You quoted $3500 against me.
A PPI is nearly worthless as it cant tell you about the timing belt. My PPI said the clutch was fine 3 months before it went out. They also will not check for repaired frame damage, and many ACURA dealers don't even have an NSX specialist on hand anymore. Carfax is very inaccurate on a regular basis and only gives half of the story. Many amny accidents do not get reported to carfax. Relying on local owners without knowing there mechanical background is is worse than buying based on the PPI.
You also cleverly added in for a valve adjust to squeeze you over the 6k and thus closer to your original 9k.
You chose to assume my logic, speak for me, as well as question my deal and whether or not spending someone's 2-4k is fair.
All things considered it obvious your fanatically trying to discredit this car, and anyone posting contrary to your understandings.

In my opinion, for someone is looking for rare color combos, if it is near you it worth $2-4k more, because yes it is very hard to find what you want when there are only a hand full out there.
Plus if you do choose to have a car shipped to you add another $800-$1200 and a month of waiting.
And Mr Bromley your also forgetting that a clean GPW 02-05 ($55k+ there was only 22 produced) will cost at least an additional $10k, and for some people that's not an option there willing to consider, many don't like the 02+ and/or seriously prefer the flip up lights.
I happen to be someone that seriously prefers the NSX in white, if you are not as animate about white, than you do not understand nor need to understand that there are only 43 / 97-01 white manuals. Some may be modified already, Some may have been badly hit, Some may be in worse condition, many may have higher mileage, so there may be less than 10-20 left comparable to this package. So someones gotta pony up a couple extra grand.

On topic....
Flights are $400-$500 each time. Hotels are $100 plus per night. 5 trips and your at $3k. I don't buy cars sight unseen period.
Than take into account wasting weekends & spending hundreds of hours online searching.
And don't forget every hour spent trying to save money could have been spent making money, lets not even add that up.

OK I checked and you were right the na2 clutch (part) is more expensive. The labor are rates you can get at a reputable dealer. I don't use shade tree mechanics. My previous post states the labor for the clutch is saved by doing the timing belt at same time because the timing belt is already an engine out job, so the clutch only takes an additional hour or two. I have added notes in red to clear up any misunderstandings.

When timing belt and clutch is done together (at same time) you really only pay the labor for the timing belt which is about:

$1200 - $1500 labor (total for both)
$800 timing belt / water pump (parts only)
$1300 clutch (parts only)

So the NA2 clutch is $2250 not the $1300 ... so add $1000
The TB/WP kit is less than $800 its actually $640 http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=803
You can also check with Ray Laks Acura Yourself. 1-888-729-5257. Many dealers give 25% off all NSX list prices. If your paying full price shop elsewhere.

So I was off by $850 after both adjustments. That makes both NA2 TB/WP & clutch job if done at same time should be around
$4200-$4500.
plus paint bumpers and replace speakers still under $5k which is close enough to your second estimate $6k, which would not have been worth arguing had you not requested my response, but still far from the 9k you started off with.
I call a truce since my time is really not worth internet arguments.
I hope that clears up my explanations and opinions based on my experiences.

Last edited:
Glad to hear from you Patricio! Didn't mean to sound so harsh. You're right about this type of posting; I need to be a bit kinder but you did charge me with your post and it was about as strong as mine - so no prob with a truce on kindness.

But I will beg to differ with you on your prices as they are way off. First of all you don't take the engine out to replace the TB/WP and hoses and NO the labor is not at all transferrable from the TB/WP to the clutch. One takes the transmission out and the other doesn't. I talk with my mechanic and Barney has a reputation here that is second to none; perhaps you've heard of him? If not then Larry B is another source I'm sure you've heard of and he'll repeat what I'm about to tell you.

As to the length of my posts I'm sorry but information needs to be correct and it others need to know the full story that are trying to get a grip and not just taking what a Primer says as the gosphel. I will begin to list what I have on just the parts just so you'll know that I did real research. These parts costs are from Acura Car Land - they give Primers a discount.

Just the clutch parts for the 2000 NSX which you will need as the flywheel can't be resurfaced and no reputable mechanic would do a clutch in one of the later gen cars without replaceing the flywheel - so just so you have the basics on clutch replacement. No good mechanic would resurface a 91 flywheel either just for the record:
disk=311
pressure pl = 226
flywheel = 1740
slave = 86
master cyl = 112
throw out bearing = 138
Total = $2613

For the N1's it's 1230 for the entire kit (includes the fly) plus 138 for the throw out and then add the slave and master. Now if your lucky on a 2000 maybe you won't need a master - so you can deduct that and a slave if you feel like saving a few bucks which if I were doing it- that's cheap insurance.

I haven't added the labor for the clutch so let's just use your figures of 1300 shall we and what do you think that adds up to = bingo 4k.

That doesn't get you the TB/WP and Barney just did both of these for me and he's as reasonable as they come and I've checked around so I really do know.

My prices are right on the money - you on the other hand are quoting from who knows where and making assumptions - we need real facts here. Now I'm not picking a fight but lets agree that information on Prime should at least be accurate when giving advice about purchasing cars that need maintenance and giving realistic quotes is necessary and there isn't any dealership out there reputable that knows these cars as well as Larry B or Barney and surely Barney has less overhead than any dealership - so I'm just quoting reasonable rates here not pie in the sky - supposedly from some dealer price.

So let's recap

TB/WP/Hoses/fluids = 1300 (you don't have to adjust the valves but who wouldn't when doing this much work?)
Clutch using your labor which is probably fine @ 1300 and parts @ 2600= 4k
Radio = 300
antenna= ? say 150
Wheels and tires - say 800 just for the heck of it - cheap tires and decent rim repair
Paint work = use Patricios median number cause there is paint on both ends- 400
Total = 6700

These aren't separate work figures cause guys mechanics have labor hours that jobs pay and the only thing you'd get out of the TB/WP/hoses is maybe the valve adjust - maybe.

Now sure the white cars maybe at a premium but not so much the targas - it's the coupes cause you can actually turn them into a NSX-R clone. White is nice I'd like to have one and I like the pop up lights - and this one has that but 2k is a premium for it. But be that as it may - what I'm trying to establish is a fair price for this particular car - not the dream car that is perfect with all maintenance up to date preserved in a garrage with low miles - this is NOT that car and never will be. This is an average car with medium low miles and needing work - as outlined and all I'm saying is that 39k + 6700 bucks in maintenance items we KNOW it needs - bring the car to 45k and it'll have paint work - not that most haven't got paint work - mine does. So is it worth that? Only the buyer can say; not me or Patricio, but at least the prospective buyer should go in with their eyes open to potential costs of purchase cause as we all know it's not just purchase price it's total including maintenance.

I won't even discuss what it costs to find one and transport it cause we all know that. I went and saw mine before I bought it and those costs can rack up - no doubt. But if you're careful you may not have to see but one or two. It depends.

Anyway, these days cars are low and 45k for a medium maintained 2000 NSX that needs paint work is a lot of money. Is it too much let the buyer make that decision but I'll stand by my prices all day long and anyone that disagrees should at least do us all the service of checking it out and knowing before they make the statement. I checked it out with a real person mechanic - not a "swag".

One last little comparo for a would be buyer - have you seen this add on Market here on Prime - 2003 Silver NSX-T 30K for sale jh4na21653T000157 - now the owner is asking 49k OBO.... you tell me whether the white is near as nice as this with lower miles and 3 years newer? No it's not white but .....
So I used nothing against you here and I'm sorry if I came off angry or harsh. :smile:

Last edited:
Back