Tip: Clean your car before selling

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

+ 1

I was attracted to this add as the 2000 white / black is a rare beast. (4 in 2000)
but
It is obvious this car is not very well cared for. Wheels, engine compartment, interior have not been maintained.
I have seen '91s in much better shape than this.

How this car looks is a good indication of how it has been treated. (typically)

Too bad, it's a nice car.​

I thought it is intuitive and common practice to clean your car prior to taking photos of your car for a for sale listing. I thought wrong.

I thought it is intuitive and common practice to clean your car prior to taking photos of your car for a for sale listing. I thought wrong.

Not your first time Alan.:biggrin::tongue:

Is that green moss growing at the bottom of the front marker light?

Detailling only helps the seller.

It helps the buyer very much in the proof of the condition that is described/promissed in the add. If you detect a high miscorrelation of how the car is described and the way it actually is everything else the seller says is wrong. Most people buy cars based on the first view and car dealers are very, very good at detailling. :D

My car was filthy when I bought it, mostly because I told the seller not to waste his time cleaning it.

I went over every inch of it because every inch was dirty. And you know what? Underneath all that mess was a beautiful car!:biggrin:

Whoever buys this car (provided it is in good mechanical shape) can have a wonderful, contemplative experience with his new car, giving it a good bath and getting to know it at the same time.

Last edited:
Sometimes it just means a very good deal from an unknowledgeable seller...perhaps low-ball $$ is in order :-) Ya never know...could be a fabulous original car with a coat of dirt, and moss, and leaves, and film, and dust, and muck, and.... lol ok ok I thought the same thing...but it is a white original NSX so it's still cool dirty!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

I even polished my old exhaust before selling it. I am that way...like stuff cleeeeean.:smile:

It could be me but whenever I see an engine bay that dusty my gut tells me it has been sittting in a body shop/ garage for long periods with the rear hatch open.:confused:

Guys, I know, I know it was bad to post it up dirty.

It has not moved from that spot in 8 months. Driven less than 25 miles in the 4 months before it.

I cleaned cobwebs off it to take the pictures. I'm just brokering the sale for the owner, her father passed away 13 months ago leaving it to her. But she cannot drive a standard and has no idea of what she has.

I'm picking the car up tonight to get it fully detailed and get some services done, never had a TB/WP service, due for plugs as well. Tires have got to be flat-spotted and it probably needs rotors +.

She's given me permission to lower the price to a more reasonable $39500.

In the defense of the heiress, someone passed away which gave her the keys and title to this vehicle. I am willing to bet it was difficult for all relatives to even look at the car, let alone take the time to drive it or detail it.

I was turned off by the condition of the vehicle as well, but at the same time given the circumstances I can understand why it was left sitting outside for a year.

It will clean up nicely once in the hands of a professional detailer, or at least avid enthusiast of polish and a makita buffer.

To the person who is selling it: You ought to know you don't post photos of a rare automobile for sale in this condition. Spend a few hundred dollars getting the detail done, then maybe you will see the money you are looking for.

Good luck with the sale.

To the person who is selling it: You ought to know you don't post photos of a rare automobile for sale in this condition. Spend a few hundred dollars getting the detail done, then maybe you will see the money you are looking for.

So you'd rather get a rare automobile and then find out it sat outside for a year, than have the seller be upfront and honest about it? :confused:

The vehicle will clean up very nicely, that I can assure everyone. But I'm not going to hide the fact that it has not hide the usual treatment.

Is the girl in the picture the heiress? If so she should keep the car, it would be perfect for her. Too bad women aren’t interested in NSX’s (with a few notable exceptions).

I put myself through college finding and reselling old musical instruments obtained primarily through estate sales. For free, I give you now one of my most dearly bought lessons:
As a buyer, dirt, grime, tarnish and signs of neglect are your greatest ally in discovering a thing of value and obtaining it for less (sometimes much less) than normal. But you must hone your powers of perception to the point that you know what you are looking at, dirt or no dirt, and see what others miss. Most of the guys on this forum can see that this car has a few issues, but is not a wreck by any means.
In some ways, I find this to be the most refreshing ad I’ve seen in awhile.

Last edited:

It seems as if the engine cover was removed at some point in time and left with the hatch open? If the car sat outside for months with the cover on and hatch closed, I doubt it would be this dusty?

Either way, the car has a lot of potential and is rare in its color combo. Priced well and you should sell in no time. Good luck with the sale.

It seems as if the engine cover was removed at some point in time and left with the hatch open? If the car sat outside for months with the cover on and hatch closed, I doubt it would be this dusty?

Either way, the car has a lot of potential and is rare in its color combo. Priced well and you should sell in no time. Good luck with the sale.

Cars that do not get driven end up with engine bays that dusty if it's a windy enviroment. My 1998 Integra I sold looked the same way after sitting in the same spot for 8 months only being driven twice.

Nah, the engine compartment is open to the road below. There's more than enough opportunity for dirt to get whipped up into there by the air whirling through. Spend enough time driving, without cleaning, and it'll look like that, or worse.

Otherwise, no one would ever need to clean their engine bay. :)

But, yeah... it's not that hard to clean a car thoroughly. Beautiful as it may be by its very nature, it'll still draw a better selling price when it's all shiny and sparkly.

Back