Timing belt: too old?

I just had the TB & WP service done on my 2000 with 12,300 miles. It was done at an Acura dealership by a fantastic tech. I wish it was $1,000. More like twice that. I guess I'll do the same in 2021.

I just had the TB & WP service done on my 2000 with 12,300 miles. It was done at an Acura dealership by a fantastic tech. I wish it was $1,000. More like twice that. I guess I'll do the same in 2021.

Just curious, did you get a chance to inspect the old timing belt or pump before junking them? Did the tech comment on them?

Just curious, did you get a chance to inspect the old timing belt or pump before junking them? Did the tech comment on them?

Yes. Both looked near new. Tech was particularly impressed with the WP.
He adjusted the valves making a real nice change in feel of the engine. Very tight. Once I warmed it up on the way home (about 25 miles), I pulled into vtec a few times. I love this car.

The people at Tischer Acura always treat me with the highest respect and are extremely careful with my car. When I got there it was sitting up on a special lift, where I could carefully inspect the underside.

It's like new again. Perfect.

EngineBay1-50.JPG

Lol, les, psssshhh. I bought prelude with 190000 miles. It only had 1k on new engine but place did a crap install so i sold it a year later. Nsx doesnt need maintaince, just oil and for me a belt in a few years :) i dont put off maintaince thats important. Plugs, tune up, oil. It doesnt need a belt every 7 years and 10k miles lol.

And les, you should know how anal i am on my car. I hate the paint issue no one else notices lol. Ur bumper would killllll me haha

Time to put my flame-suit on...

I have a 1991 NSX that until last month, had the original timing belt with 120,000 km on it. Yes, original. :redface: When I got my NSX about two years ago I read everything here and decided to risk it. I've now caught up on all deferred maintenance - had the TB, water pump, harmonic balancer, V-tech solenoid gaskets, hoses, belts and some other bits and pieces replaced. Also had the valves adjusted. Happy to say all went well and I'm no longer playing Russian roulette with my timing belt. The car feels and sounds great (the valve adjustment made the engine a lot quieter).

So, do the TB, or not, at your own risk. Don't know if you'll be as "lucky" as I was, or if it'll blow up on your first drive home, but this has been my experience.

I think the more important question you should ask yourself is: "Why not?"
Me? Guess I like beating the odds... :smile:

Related questions.
When you buy a timing belt, its been sitting in storage somewhere.

1. Is the time the belt is sitting in storage an issue?
  2. Is there a manufacture date on the belt packaging?
  3. Should the clock on the age of the belt start at the date of manufacture or does the belt not age while in the package?

Related questions.

2. Is there a manufacture date on the belt packaging?
  3. Should the clock on the age of the belt start at the date of manufacture or does the belt not age while in the package?

Good question as my belt and pump are sitting in my closet. I would think its general age plays a small part, but more so once its on the car, the tension is what wears it and thats when the major time starts.

And les, Ur bumper would killllll me haha

Yes it will if you post again on the "Shooter" thread:wink:........................:tongue:

2. ...

Like SuperSonic, I’d also guess that the rubber really starts to age once the belt has been mounted.

In Germany, car tires are allowed to be sold as new as long as their production date is not more than three years ago (and they have never been used). Tire companies say that should be extended to five years because the rubber in unused tires doesn’t noticeably age until then. Once the tires have been used, they age faster.

It seems to be the same thing with rubber bands. New rubber bands seem to be fine regardless when you bought them. Rubber bands that have been used and then placed around the kitchen faucet often break the next time you want to use them.

So I’d guess the timing belt doesn’t age much while it’s just sitting unused in a dark warehouse somewhere.

Regarding the timing belt change interval: I heard from a reputable source that the change interval in the Japanese NSX Service Manual is 62,500 miles (100,000 km) and that there is no age limit. Why the US Service Manual is different – I don’t know. Despite the lack of an age limit, most Japanese NSX owners replace the timing belts by the time they get to be 10 years old even if they haven’t reached the mileage limit yet.

Yes. Both looked near new. Tech was particularly impressed with the WP.
He adjusted the valves making a real nice change in feel of the engine. Very tight. Once I warmed it up on the way home (about 25 miles), I pulled into vtec a few times. I love this car.

The people at Tischer Acura always treat me with the highest respect and are extremely careful with my car. When I got there it was sitting up on a special lift, where I could carefully inspect the underside.

It's like new again. Perfect.

EngineBay1-50.JPG

I thought you were trying to sell it? No? Anyway if you don't put many miles on the car and are only changing the TB out due to time - then you could have saved yourself about 300 on the WP and changed it over the next 7 years at the next TB interval. WPs are mileage driven not time like a belt. I wouldn't have done anything in your shoes with the belt.

How many miles have you put on your car since you've owned it? Or did you buy it new?

Bat,

Were the valves adjusted with the belt change? I think this is just as important as a TB especially with cars approaching 100k miles.

I was hammering it hard. Redlined this and that.

I changed it when it hit 90k miles. I go by miles not age.

The belt looked brand spanking new when they pulled it out.

Back