Timing belt: too old?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a '91 with 45,000 miles.

Service records show that the car had the TB/WP changed at 40,000 miles, but in 2002.

Should I plan for a new timing belt due to age/corrosion/break down? Or should I consider it a "good, new" TB?

Thanks.

Everyone will say change it, but i think its fine. The local nsx tech would say drive it. I have a tb/wp sitting in closet i was gona put on my 2002 with 60k and was gona extend it to 75k miles and do it around 2012, so 10 years old. Now the tb/wp just sitting in a bag in closet lol.

Hi everyone,

Service records show that the car had the TB/WP changed at 40,000 miles, but in 2002.

Should I plan for a new timing belt due to age/corrosion/break down? Or should I consider it a "good, new" TB?

Thanks.

Honda says you need to change the belt every 90,000 miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. The reason they say this is that the timing belt is made from nylon cords cast in a rubber mold. Rubber and plastic become brittle with age, and Honda determined that these materials as used on the timing belt would last 6 years without any degradation. As you move beyond 6 years, the risk of a failure increases. Obviously, usage also affects belt life. Given it has only been 5,000 miles since the belt change, you are probably on the low side of the risk spectrum, considering this belt is already 3 years past due. I think you will be fine, but I would not consider the belt "new." Personally, I would never drive a timing belt past 10 years old, regardless of mileage. I have pulled off too many crusty, crumbly rubber bits off of cars over the years to trust it any longer than that.

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

Technically its time to replace. I think alot depends on your driving habits. Are you going to redline the piss out of it and drag race it light to light or are you just going to drive it on the weekends for coffee?

Everyone will say change it, but i think its fine. The local nsx tech would say drive it. I have a tb/wp sitting in closet i was gona put on my 2002 with 60k and was gona extend it to 75k miles and do it around 2012, so 10 years old. Now the tb/wp just sitting in a bag in closet lol.

Don't you worry a little more since you have a supercharger? I am not familiar with how that would affect timing belt life but it seems a little risky to me. Especially if you like to pull boost alot.

since you are looking at the car and thinking of purchasing it, i would see if you can neg. with the owner on the TB/WP issue. I think a lot of us NSX owner are worried freak:biggrin: when it comes to this issue with the 6 or 7 year time frame, since that car is only driven 5000 mile since last tb/wp service in 02, i would just Dare i say, flame suit on, DRIVE IT, and do the 60k service 2-3 years down the road, a lot of owner might disagree.

This.

My 1993 NSX timing belt was original until 2 years ago.

BATMANs are you kidding me? please tell me your kidding?

how many miles, do you drive your NSX like a bat outta hell?

if you do drive it like it looks ( fast ) then I am no longer going to worry about my timing belt.

My timing belt was changed in 2000 (just before I bought the car). I have not changed it. I have 70k miles on the car since then. No issues. The car is not driven hard.

:)

well there you have it folks, the timing belt if not driven hard will or can last waaayyyy longer than we all thought.

are we all wussy's and scared to flip the bill on a new engine LOL

BATMANs are you kidding me? please tell me your kidding?

how many miles, do you drive your NSX like a bat outta hell?

if you do drive it like it looks ( fast ) then I am no longer going to worry about my timing belt.

I was hammering it hard. Redlined this and that.

I changed it when it hit 90k miles. I go by miles not age.

The belt looked brand spanking new when they pulled it out.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of an actual timing belt failure? Just curious.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of an actual timing belt failure? Just curious.

There have only been a few, but its not very common. The 97 prelude went 14 years and 180k miles b4 the belt blew.

There have only been a few, but its not very common. The 97 prelude went 14 years and 180k miles b4 the belt blew.

Nice to see you kept up on the maintenance on that car:rolleyes:. Hope you do better on the NSX:tongue:

I just purchased an 02' with 46k miles and decided to replace the belt for piece of mind when I go wot :biggrin:

Nice to see you kept up on the maintenance on that car:rolleyes:. Hope you do better on the NSX:tongue:

lol. The NSX is definitely not a 97 Prelude. When the belt goes on the NSX, it is a $20,000 problem. I'd rather spend $1000 and a couple DIY weekends over the winter and not worry for another 7 years, but that's just me.

When the belt goes on the NSX, it is a $20,000 problem. I'd rather spend $1000 and a couple DIY weekends over the winter and not worry for another 7 years, but that's just me.

Precisely, its a $1000 service. The peace of mind that comes with it is worth at least that.

Plus, it gives you/mechanic a good chance to explore the engine condition.

Pretty good if you're getting the TB/WP done for 1000 including parts! That's not the typical expense. With as few miles as have been put on this car I wouldn't run right out and replace it unless I thought I'd be tracking the car hard.

If Batman can get that kind of mileage well that may be stretching things a little. However, from my understanding from International, ROW, perspective their manuals say something different - it's 60k miles and not based on age. In the case of the OP - I'd drive it and not worry. I might change it in about 3 years, but that's just a seat of the pants guess.

As far as belts breaking - only ones I've heard of are turbo charged or Super Charged cars having tb breaks. They are far from typical or even often or even ever heard of - stretching maybe but not breaks.

Main reason I think we don't hear of it is cause Primers are paranoid and change them regularly as the manual says. So why would we hear of it, right? Then there are guys like Batman that give us real field experience. I'd say the belts are pretty damn good and strong and will last a good while despite years.

......If Batman can get that kind of mileage well that may be stretching things a little........it's 60k miles........ Then there are guys like Batman that give us real field experience. I'd say the belts are pretty damn good and strong and will last a good while despite years.

Dun u need to update ur signature Tim? :tongue:

I thought it was 90k miles for NA1 and 100k for NA2. To be honest I think on I was closer to 100k miles when I finally changed it. When I went over to inspect the car I thought that the belt that I was looking at was the new belt. The mechanic was folding it and twisting it and there was no signs of wear like cracks or chunks coming off.

One thing I miss about the RX7. No timing belts to worry about......

Dun u need to update ur signature Tim? :tongue:

I thought it was 90k miles for NA1 and 100k for NA2. To be honest I think on I was closer to 100k miles when I finally changed it. When I went over to inspect the car I thought that the belt that I was looking at was the new belt. The mechanic was folding it and twisting it and there was no signs of wear like cracks or chunks coming off.

One thing I miss about the RX7. No timing belts to worry about......

Not yet - it hasn't sold yet! :wink:

Back