Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Shouldn't matter -- it's a Honda so I'd buy with 100k miles anyway

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • My recently purchased, early NSX has very limited mileage and is correct

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters

Ski_Banker

Suspended
Why is it that *many* early-mid 90s NSXs have absurdly low mileage? Multiple owner 91s with 25k miles (find me a Ferrari 348 with much less than that!), or 3rd owner 95s with 38k miles.

Odometer rollback must be a problem on early NSXs.

In the last year, I have yet to see a 2002 NSX with less than ~20k miles. Everyone knows the NSX is for driving (otherwise you get the F alternative).

I'm just skeptical I guess, since very very few early NSXs haven't seen many owners, and to think that *all* of the owners kept the car in storage -- seems quite unlikely to me. :cool:

I've think that I read on some posts that the average NSX owner drives around 5,000 miles per year.

Bought my 91 a little less than 2 years ago with 29K on it...from what I found out it the first owner had it as part of a collection of cars and only put 2500 (yes 2500) miles on it in the 11-12 years he owned it! Thanks for keeping it nice for ME!! :tongue:

i bought my 91 with 79k miles on it, i'm the 3rd owner (legally anyway....) its got 84k on it now.

I am owner #4 and my '91 still only has 65K on the odometer.

I've put 5 miles on mine in the past three months...:biggrin:

Sometimes I get just as much joy knowing its tucked away. :wink: :smile:

I have 70000 km on mine (45000 miles) and that is considered regular mileage. I reside in a location where I can only drive the car 6-7 months of the year. I don't have to drive to hells half acre to get to and from work, and because I have a wife and two kids, I don't use it for weekend get aways - I use the truck and trailer or sedan. I don't drive it in snow, I don't drive it until the winter gravel has been removed from the roads, and I don't drive it in rainstorms or hail as best possible. These situations aside I have yet to put on more than 4000-5000 km per year in the past 4 years I've owned it including 9 track dates per year. Using that same number of kms per year for a 17 year old vehicle puts it smack dab where the odometer is at. This is NORMAL for ALL of my cars.:wink:

im the 3rd owner of a 1991 automatic
when i bought it there was 49k on it
thats approxmitaly 3k mi a year.
maybe no one know they would be made for 15+ years and they were thinking ahead

When I bought my 94 in 2000 it had 5k miles on it, was part of the guy's collection. I held it for 2 yrs and only put 7k miles on it. Was a 3rd car for me and it was soooo pristine I rarely drove it.
Picked up my 91 2 yrs ago with 30k miles on it. Seems like folks either daily drive the car or have it as a weekender. And of course there are the folks who refuse to drive it in fear someone will damage the car, it'll get rained on....etc etc etc

And then there's Hugh with his 93 w/200k :wink:

My 91 had 51,600 on it when I took posession back in may. It now has 55,000. I seriously hope thats the actual mileage. It sickens me to think otherwise. When I carfaxed it I did'nt see any discrepency with the mileage from year to year.

Odometer rollback must be a problem on early NSXs.

I'm one of those "garage queen" owners. I'm the 2nd owner of my '92 with 29,000 original miles. I probably put on average 1000 miles a year on mine.:redface: Not asking how, but is it really that easy to roll back the odometer on earlier models?:eek:

A couple NSX odometers may have been disconnected, I do not think its all that common. (looking back, I looked at a Black / Ivory 91 I was not 100%sure of) 9,000 mi orig? had timing belt and clutch done. Did not feel very strong on the road.
But Mileage is really not that big of a deal on these cars. Regular maint will need to take place due to time as well as mi. I must admit, my last NSX oil change was due to time rather than mileage. shame on me.
I will hazard a guess its nothing like with "F" car's. To my knowledge, no "Ferrari" has ever passed 50,000 mi. Most have well under 25k. LOL LOL As many of their engines need to come out at xx miles for maint, its a much bigger deal. Hence the unplugging of the odo.

My 94 has about 62 K / about 4400 per yr. :smile:
(State farm gets a check for ins. on 6 cars)
NSX is not my primary transportation.

"In the last year, I have yet to see a 2002 NSX with less than ~20k miles"

Might have something to do with all the NSX Lease deals that went on in
2002-2005?

not very many have alot of miles like regular cars, infact if you take the mileage on all the nsx's for sale in the past five years and compare them to all the nsx's that havent been for sale i bet the not for sale ones will have less miles.

there is not alot of practicality with the car for daily driving, and having it on the road more=more wear and tear and alot higher of a chance of being involved in an accident, when you only take it out ever so often it will stay in better shape becaus you baby it, dont park it next to other cars in parking lots etc etc

Always remind: People differ in thinking how much they should drive a car.

From the service book you get an idea on why the car was sold by your prior owner. Happened to me twice: 1st year: 3k miles, 2nd: 2k, ...5th year: 500 miles WHAT? The service was done EVERY year. You go to see the guy and see some strong evidence why he didn't have time to drive it: it was 3 years old. :)

So I bought the 5 years old S2000 with 7k miles. :wink:

With my NSX it was the same: the guy didn't have the time to drive it and with the repairs (TB, brakes etc.) postponing. In the end he didn't do the service yearly but regarding the low miles it was not a problem.

-> the service book tells how the owner liked/drove the car including the one that was obviously rolled back by 50k miles.

The NSX was from day one more or less a collectable car so it's no wonder miles are low on some early cars. It's actually me how puts the miles on her now. :tongue:

Wow, I don't know how you guys find these deals. I've NEVER seen an advertisement for an NSX or S2000 with so few miles for sale. I've heard many stories from buyers who found those deals. I guess I just have to be looking several times a day, every single day.

I bought my NSX in 2000 with 65k miles. I'm at 130k miles now. My biggest mistake though, was buying the NSX as a daily driver initially. I should have purchased a cheap everyday car, then got the NSX. Now, I put on average 5k miles on the NSX yearly, and oddly 3k miles on the S2000. The S2000 is my daily, though I only live a few miles from work. I guess there's more miles on the NSX a year since I attend NSX events that are far away.

This is what I say to the garage queen owners: Keep 'em nice. I'm coming to get them.:biggrin:

A couple NSX odometers may have been disconnected, I do not think its all that common. (looking back, I looked at a Black / Ivory 91 I was not 100%sure of) 9,000 mi orig? had timing belt and clutch done. Did not feel very strong on the road.
But Mileage is really not that big of a deal on these cars. Regular maint will need to take place due to time as well as mi. I must admit, my last NSX oil change was due to time rather than mileage. shame on me.
I will hazard a guess its nothing like with "F" car's. To my knowledge, no "Ferrari" has ever passed 50,000 mi. Most have well under 25k. LOL LOL As many of their engines need to come out at xx miles for maint, its a much bigger deal. Hence the unplugging of the odo.

My 94 has about 62 K / about 4400 per yr. :smile:
(State farm gets a check for ins. on 6 cars)
NSX is not my primary transportation.
Even so, a car with 9,000 miles should look like a car with 9,000 miles. Undercarrage should look flawless. All the aluminun should look brand new.

I'm the 3rd owner and bought it 6+ years ago with 39K miles. Today the odometer reads 135K and will continue to be a daily driver!:biggrin:

"Even so, a car with 9,000 miles should look like a car with 9,000 miles. Undercarrage should look flawless. All the aluminun should look brand new."

Agree, but there are several out there that do not get driven in the rain that look pristine. The clutch at 9k was more of the clue to me.

"In the last year, I have yet to see a 2002 NSX with less than ~20k miles"

Might have something to do with all the NSX Lease deals that went on in
2002-2005?

I thought about that, but the super $799/mo deal was only in 04-05 and besides, I'm sure many were leased even back in 91.

Yeah, just scrolling through the For Sale section -- something is clearly fishy.

(Not pointing fingers at the owners selling now, at all, unless you're the original owner I s'pose)

Also, as we all know - the demographic has been changing over the years and the new guys buying older NSXs aren't the type to keep them buried in bubble wrap (like the original '91 buyers might have).

Back