thoughts on this very interesting FS thread

It's a 1996 and the type-R was from 1992-1995 so doubt underneath all the bolt on parts there's a real type-R
Doubt it would sell in any market for the asking price

Last edited:
so far.... my thoughts exactly:biggrin:

Looks like a 4X4 Jeep with a set of bleechers hanging off the back. Oh, and a set of gills on the side for when you go amphibious. Seems like a bargain to me for 220k.

Should have sent 240,000 to solidify the deal so that this real gem doesn't pass you by.

thats the nsx-gmmh........for take a regular nsx glue on some gruppe m flairs and marga hills skirts....:biggrin:

That poor car... It deserves better.

My first thought is..I don't trust anyone with that amount of money for what amounts to 4+ years.

Were it a real NSX-R, buy it, store it yourself and plan trips to Japan to drive it until you can bring it back.

I see Bob has cancelled the ad.
Was hoping to see the reply from Montu about my question on documentation and provenance.
Would have been interesting.

That was such an odd ad; however the car that the seller listed is probably a real Type R.

On the Japanese website that the seller links to (goo-net, which is like our AutoTrader), the car is listed as a 1996. This does not necessarily mean that the car was manufactured in 1996, or is a 1996 model year. It's only when the car was first registered. So while the Type R was manufactured from 1992-1995, looking at the sales data, over 50 were sold in 1996, and one was sold in 1997. That last one, if it were to be for sale, would be listed as a 1997. The cars sold in 1996 (presumably this one) would be correctly listed as 1996.

This is quite different from how cars are listed in North America, but this is how it's done in Japan.

That being said, it's sad how even Type Rs are modified to that extent. :(

That was such an odd ad; however the car that the seller listed is probably a real Type R.

On the Japanese website that the seller links to (goo-net, which is like our AutoTrader), the car is listed as a 1996. This does not necessarily mean that the car was manufactured in 1996, or is a 1996 model year. It's only when the car was first registered. So while the Type R was manufactured from 1992-1995, looking at the sales data, over 50 were sold in 1996, and one was sold in 1997. That last one, if it were to be for sale, would be listed as a 1997. The cars sold in 1996 (presumably this one) would be correctly listed as 1996.

This is quite different from how cars are listed in North America, but this is how it's done in Japan.

That being said, it's sad how even Type Rs are modified to that extent. :(

The seller specifically represented it as "manufactured May 1996". Production ended September 1995

Last edited:
Wow. Even if this car was a genuine Type R, it's modified to the point where that has minimal impact on the price. Throw this one to wolves - aka Jalopnik's 'Nice Price or Crack Pipe'. The responses will be…entertaining.

Back