• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Those with 2002+ NSX's

Here is a comment I got today from a lady (cute) which I thought was interesting.

Lady: "What kinda car is that?"

Me: "it's a Honda!"

Lady: "Honda??? wow, they have sure come a long way havn't they?"

What I find interesting is the "have come a long way" comment on a car built 15 years ago!!

My wife even thought it was funny.

Jack

CerberusM5 said:
I agree 100%. Also, it takes a long stretch of road to reach 160 in the NSX, let alone the quoted top speed by Honda of 175. However, I don't think a stock NSX can even reach a true 170.
Euro NA1/NA2 coupes (with manual gearbox) were proven they can...

Stock NSX (NA1, 3,0 Coupe 5spd) tested by german 'sport auto' in December 1992, top speed 273 km/h = 169,63 mph
The test car (new car) was most likely just barely broken in if at all.
So, it may be quite safe concluding that a fully broken in NA1 5spd coupe should at least run at that top speed or even slightly better.
Wider aftermarket rims and tires might well have an decreasing impact on top speed to some degree.

NSX-R (NA2, 3,2l Coupe, 6spd) tested by german 'sport auto' in August 2002, top speed 280 km/h = 173,98 mph.
From hearsay about that particular car's history it probably had enough mileage to be considered fully broken at the time when this test was performed.
I guess stock NA2 coupes (+'97, 3,2l, 6spd) can reach the same or even slightly higher top speed as the NA2 NSR-R since engine output 'officially' remained the same plus the additional aerodynamic aids on the R supposedly should produce some more drag in order to create or increase downforce.

Honda never stated a top speed of 175 mph for the Euro (german) models.
Both, NA1 5spd coupe and NA2 6spd coupe are rated at 270 km/h = 167,77 mph.

(1 mph = 1.609344 km/h)

andy l. said:
CerberusM5 said:
I agree 100%. Also, it takes a long stretch of road to reach 160 in the NSX, let alone the quoted top speed by Honda of 175. However, I don't think a stock NSX can even reach a true 170.
Euro NA1/NA2 coupes (with manual gearbox) were proven they can...

Stock NSX (NA1, 3,0 Coupe 5spd) tested by german 'sport auto' in December 1992, top speed 273 km/h = 169,63 mph
The test car (new car) was most likely just barely broken in if at all.
So, it may be quite safe concluding that a fully broken in NA1 5spd coupe should at least run at that top speed or even slightly better.
Wider aftermarket rims and tires might well have an decreasing impact on top speed to some degree.

NSX-R (NA2, 3,2l Coupe, 6spd) tested by german 'sport auto' in August 2002, top speed 280 km/h = 173,98 mph.
From hearsay about that particular car's history it probably had enough mileage to be considered fully broken at the time when this test was performed.
I guess stock NA2 coupes (+'97, 3,2l, 6spd) can reach the same or even slightly higher top speed as the NA2 NSR-R since engine output 'officially' remained the same plus the additional aerodynamic aids on the R supposedly should produce some more drag in order to create or increase downforce.

Honda never stated a top speed of 175 mph for the Euro (german) models.
Both, NA1 5spd coupe and NA2 6spd coupe are rated at 270 km/h = 167,77 mph.

(1 mph = 1.609344 km/h)

Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. I am impressed the NSX can attain those speeds. My experience with the 3.2 is once it hits approximately 150, things slow down a lot in regards to gathering additional speed from that point. High speed acceleration is definitely not the NSX's forte. I went for a ride in a friend's 996 turbo last weekend and it reached 180 probably faster than my NSX would attain 150. From a roll at 60 his turbo buried me like I was running on four cylinders. I would say he had at least 15-20 car lenths on me within 10 seconds.

However, good to know the NSX will reach 170 given enough tarmac.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
all I have to say is: "It's not how fast you drive, but how good you drive fast." Ayrton Senna

Back