Thinking about it

Coz

Legendary Member
I currently have a DeTomaso Factory GT5. Brought it from Italy in 2000 and have rebuilt it. It 460 HP at the flywheel.

Considering selling it off and getting into an NSX. But it's going to have to be just as fast if not faster than what I have now.

Looking for some advise as to the best years over all and that are acceptable to modifications. I intend to do some club racing with it.

Would appreciate some impute. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0917s.jpg
    IMG_0917s.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 451
GT5 said:
I currently have a DeTomaso Factory GT5. Brought it from Italy in 2000 and have rebuilt it. It 460 HP at the flywheel.

Considering selling it off and getting into an NSX. But it's going to have to be just as fast if not faster than what I have now.

Looking for some advise as to the best years over all and that are acceptable to modifications. I intend to do some club racing with it.

Would appreciate some impute. Thanks.

How could you think of doing such a thing? The GT5 is one of the most beautiful vehicle to ever grace this world. Oh what I can give to own a "Factory GT5". The 351C can wind with the best of them. Did you have a chance to look at those fist size intake valves? Or face to face with those giantic ports? The menacing exhaust note pounds the pavement like no V8 has the right to.

It will take a lot to move an NSX quicker in a straight line. Ask me how I know.........:biggrin:

Best Regards
Paul

PS: Unfortunately, now she can only hope to catch the Blue Devil.......:cool:

Attachments

• Pantera GT-5.jpg
    Pantera GT-5.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Pantera GT-5a.jpg
    Pantera GT-5a.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Sweet! Haven't seen a Pantera in awhile, especially since they stopped selling them here. Lovely exterior design, just gorgeous.

LOL....
Didn't say I was going to...just kicking around the idea.
I'd probably regret it if I did....

You think:confused:
I know I would.

GT5 said:
LOL....
Didn't say I was going to...just kicking around the idea.
I'd probably regret it if I did....

Im not sure about trading it because what you have is almost impossible to replace.

But IMO If you really love driving and not just owning, a modified NSX is by far the most fun thing ive ever been in that you can litteraly beat the piss out of day in and day out.

What I apreciate in a car is how comfortable it is to floor it around any turn, speedshift through gears without thinking twice, drive it 30k miles a year if you want. It gives you absolute comfort that it will not let you down. That to me is what seperates magazine comparisons, garage queens, and the true seat of the pants feeling found in the unreplaceable NSX.

Forget faster or slower. A NSX is the only car that was seriously meant to be driven hard without compromising reliability. That is the best description I can come up with besides the fact the the only thing that would ever exite me more on the road would be a Mclauren F1.

I would NOT get rid of your pantera, but I would proudly share a garage with it. KEEP BOTH!

The GT-5 was only built in the later part of 80, 81 & 1982. There was only 300 of them made. They, along with the GT-4, was the racing versions of the DeTomaso Pantera. There is only 17 of the original GT-5's left in the world that have been accounted for. I found mine in Europe in 2000 and imported it here to the US. Have pretty much rebuilt the entire car and built the motor .30 over. Runs the 1/4 in low 13's and I've had it up to 181 at 6000RPM.

I drive it almost daily and put about 8000 miles on it a year.

I've decided to keep it. Have way too much money and time in it to wave bye bye to it now. I work on it myself. There's no replacing it really and I know if I let it go I would kicking myself in the butt everyday after.

Talking to Mark at DalyRacing, I'm going to start looking for a 1994 NSX and start working on it...It will be added to my garage next to the GT-5

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the impute. I'll be showing up at some of the upcoming race events that Dali puts on to watch and learn about the NSX. I'll bring the Pantera when I come out.

Semnos_NSX said:
May be a stupid question, but what makes the GT5 so special? Is it a collectors car? Great performance? What?

Just keep it and add an NSX to the collection. Multiple cars are a good thing.

Id seek alternative means for after market support than Mark Johnson and Dali Racing, IMO

Hey Paul, is that one yours ?
Very nice looking as well.
My serial number is 9178.
Coz

Esprit1 said:
Best Regards
Paul
PS: Unfortunately, now she can only hope to catch the Blue Devil.......:cool:

GT5 said:
The GT-5 was only built in the later part of 80, 81 & 1982. There was only 300 of them made. They, along with the GT-4, was the racing versions of the DeTomaso Pantera. There is only 17 of the original GT-5's left in the world that have been accounted for. I found mine in Europe in 2000 and imported it here to the US. Have pretty much rebuilt the entire car and built the motor .30 over. Runs the 1/4 in low 13's and I've had it up to 181 at 6000RPM.

I drive it almost daily and put about 8000 miles on it a year.

I've decided to keep it. Have way too much money and time in it to wave bye bye to it now. I work on it myself. There's no replacing it really and I know if I let it go I would kicking myself in the butt everyday after.

Talking to Mark at DalyRacing, I'm going to start looking for a 1994 NSX and start working on it...It will be added to my garage next to the GT-5

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the impute. I'll be showing up at some of the upcoming race events that Dali puts on to watch and learn about the NSX. I'll bring the Pantera when I come out.

Semnos_NSX said:
May be a stupid question, but what makes the GT5 so special? Is it a collectors car? Great performance? What?

WOW!! After hearing that, definitely DO NOT get rid of that car!! However, do get a NSX and have fun with it.

One small piece of advice, be careful when dealing with Mark at Dali Racing! Look in the Buyer & Seller Experiences for reasons why.

Thanks.
Some suggestions ?

The Kid said:

Id seek alternative means for after market support than Mark Johnson and Dali Racing, IMO

GT5 said:
Thanks.
Some suggestions ?

Depends how you want to get down!:biggrin:

Supercharged, Turbo's, Aero kits, the sky is the limit.

I like Science of Speed, they always hook me up.:wink:

They are right here in the area I live in. I'm going to take a drive over and talk to Chris in the next week or 2.
Thanks....

The Kid said:
Depends how you want to get down!:biggrin:
Supercharged, Turbo's, Aero kits, the sky is the limit.
I like Science of Speed, they always hook me up.:wink:

why dont you just keep your car and buy nsx also?

GT5 said:
Hey Paul, is that one yours ?
Very nice looking as well.
My serial number is 9178.
Coz

Yes but not the real McCoy like yours beautiful sample. Purchased from PIM a while back who named the car "White Devil". The car is a 72' but professionally converted and built by previous owner. Dynoed at 548hp per PIM and the car is a beast.

The Pantera is my first love. She's above and beyond any cars I've owned. Unfortunately, she is neither as trackable nor as quick as my other toys ......... :frown: ........ especially my 500+whp turbo NSX I name "Blue Devil".......

Best Regards
Paul

PS: ediddynsx is right. Perhaps you should keep the cat and get an NSX also.......

Paul,
But none the less, yours is a beauty as well.
I'm going to keep mine and just start the NSX as another project.
Thanks for the insight Paul. You of all people know where I'm coming from and headed to.
Do you go to the POCA event in Vegas ?

Semnos_NSX said:
GT5 said:

:biggrin:

i would search and ask those with NSX owners with Comptech Superchargers installed as IMHO, its the only way to improve hp to around 360hp. Then talk to the tuners for their advice. It would be an extremely rare NSX to push in and around the areas of 460hp.

I would think 360HP would come close to 460 with the weight difference.
My GT5 weighs in right at 3200 lbs...

What does the NSX weigh ?

GT5 said:

Early ones, weigh about 2900lbs...mods can add or delete wieght. It's a toss up.

Personally, if it was 1978, I'd be all over the pantera...I think the NSX will give you a more "balanced" feel.

GT5 said:
Paul,
But none the less, yours is a beauty as well.
I'm going to keep mine and just start the NSX as another project.
Thanks for the insight Paul. You of all people know where I'm coming from and headed to.
Do you go to the POCA event in Vegas ?

Thanks. I'd been toying with the idea of selling mine for three years but never have the heart to do so. Deep inside I know I'll kick myself if I did. Unfortunately she had been in storage for a long time and I haven't seen her for over 1.5 yrs........

Will be heading over to Pahrump tomorrow with our Vegas group to see M. Johnson and a few fellow NSX'ers. Never had the chance to join POCA........But hopefully one day.........

GT5 said:

DrVolkl is right. A Comptech SC NSX should be very close to your current setup. OTOH, NSX drives very different from our Pantera. Hey........We are looking at decays apart in technology and suspension development. The NSX has the edge. Naturally, our Panteras weight quite close where my Blue Devil is 3,062lb dripping wet. But lets not compare apples and oranges. With our like taste in cars, I'm sure you'll appreciate the NSX.

Best Regards
Paul

PS: If you should visit Vegas, drop me a line. I'll give you a taste of the FX500 (Blue Devil)

Will do Paul. Thanks for the offer.
Might be in the area in January.
If not, April 25th throught the 29th for the POCA Vegas convention for sure.
I coordinate the raffle for the event....
The 25th & 26th we'll all be at Pahump ourselves with about 40 to 50 cars.
(Pantera's)
We get together soon...
Coz

Esprit1 said:
Best Regards
Paul
PS: If you should visit Vegas, drop me a line. I'll give you a taste of the FX500 (Blue Devil)

Agreed

The Kid said:

:-)
If you REALLY decide to sell the GT5...let me know!

Attachments

• Stacked Pantera NSX.JPG
    Stacked Pantera NSX.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Back