The trials and tribulations of 0266

So, I guess this is a bit of an introductory post, and a story about my first year and a half of NSX ownership, and well, due diligence.
This might get a bit longwinded, and I'm not the best writer, nor a native English speaker.

I'm Arlo, 42 years old, and live in Belgium near Ghent.

I've always been a car guy, owned and driven Honda Integra ITR DC2, BMW E30 M3 and 325, E36 M3, Lotus Exige, different air-cooled Porsche 911's (I just love them, but fallen out with the hipster-fication of the brand) and my first car was a GMC Typhoon, man do I miss that thing...

The NSX has always intrigued me, and about a year and a half ago, as my personal life was in quite a mess (mother had late stage Alzheimers, father diagnosed with cancer and a whole heap of other stuff) I decided life is too short, and started browsing for an NSX for sale.

That's when I found a 1993 Berlina Black NSX, chassis number JHMNA11500T100266 for sale in Holland. The car seemed to check all my boxes, higher mileage as I wanted a driver not a garage queen, snapring range gearbox replaced including JDM gears and NSX-R diff upgrade, not red :giggle:, Germany delivered car, and after checking everything Christian from ATR told me to check, the deal was done.

Here's the car when it first arrived:
462559757_551569767521990_2548670612753057653_n.jpg

The day the car arrived, I found the second Dutch owners name in the paperwork (not the previous owner that sold the car to me to be clear), and after googling his name, I came across some of his old threads here on prime. Some of the long time members here might recall him, his prime handle was Dutchblacknsx.
Now imagine my surprise when I found a post where he mentions the original engine was blown due to overheating and replaced. The sellers response after I contacted him was that he didn't find this relevant information to share...

At the same time I became a member of the different facebook NSX groups, and while I was searching for the sellers posts, I noticed the guy was deleting all his posts where he had the heads off the engine, selling cams etc. He had told me when I was over at his place checking out the car that he wasn't very mechanically inclined, so this really made me doubt if I bought the right car. I lost all trust in the seller and the car at that moment. To be honest, I felt like shit.

So then I thought, lets turn these lemons into lemonade, and let karma sort it out for the seller.

Here's the car as it stands now:

462554009_3721089958158032_2025977277568340268_n.jpg

Things on my winter to-do list:

-replace the Dali Racing sway bars with NSX-R front and stock rear
-replace the BC coilovers with KW (still debating V3 vs Clubsport or V5 😁) and new alignment and corner balance
-replace ABS unit with 2002 upgrade
-replace the NA1 brakes with NA2 or BBK
-fit NSX-R chassis bars
-refresh the interior and maybe fit Recaro PP
-oil pan baffle
-fit my brand new BBS Type S wheels

447721539_1060504458867148_7725354247460687892_n.jpg

The car has testpipes and Taitec headers, I fitted an RFY GT4 silent version exhaust, but when a Fujitsubo Super Ti exhaust turned up for sale here in Europe I had to have it, as I plan to track the car and we have pretty strict noise regulations on tracks over here. This was another adventure, taking more than a month to get from Germany to me, and was damaged during transit... I did my best to repair the exhaust tips myself and they turned out allright. I did get a rattle from the exhaust but this magically disappeared after a while.

All the coolant hoses were also replaced, had to replace the battery and battery ground cable after a couple of intermittent starting problems, but the car has been reliable for the time being (it's a Honda, right?). Changed the Alcantara wrapped flat bottom Honda wheel the PO fitted with a MOMO one, that changed the feel a lot more than I thought it would.

462578785_1066905344810135_7065016974698642080_n.jpg

After driving the car for a couple of thousand kilometers, we still haven't 'clicked' though to be honest. I don't like the slow steering, the longish gears, and the pedals as I like to heel and toe in my cars but just don't seem to gel with the NSX pedals. I hope some track time will change my mind.

To be continued.

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story... I think with more seat time, you'll really start to enjoy the different things the NSX has to offer, especially if you plan on tracking it. Keep sharing the progression and journey with this car...we all love to hear it!

welcome! Your English is better than some born to it..Dutchblack was a popular Eurozone owner..

For the heeltoe issue I have razo sport pedals that have a flange on the gas pedal that allows me to cover both brake and gas with the top of right foot rather than rely on the pivot/heel classic technique.

I think the more seat time you get the more you get to appreciate it for what it is. I will say the long gears kinda sucks because if I redline in both 1st and second I am 99% of the time breaking the speed limit regards of where I am haha.

Sorry to hear about what you had to deal with a year and a half ago. I hope things are at least heading the right direction.

Nice car ! But you do not have the right to complain about long gears when you have the JDM. Try the stock ones. They are awfull out of a crossing or a tight turn.

Welcome! I can't wait to see where your journey goes with 0266!

As for heel-toe in the NSX, unless you're 5'4" Japanese driver, us larger folks use the "rocker" motion: tilt the outside edge of your foot to blip the throttle while holding the brake pedal. If you watch Senna in the famous NSX-R video, he does the same technique in his loafers. :)

Back