• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The rigidity of a crashed, cutted and rewelded NSX body...

NeoNSX said:
The problem we have in Australia (if I understand it correctly) is if an NSX is imported from Japan, it's accident history is wiped clean. You have to have contacts in Japan who can track it's true history. So technically the guy who sold you the NSX could be telling the truth -- it had no accident history; at least here in Australia. :(

I wouldn't mind knowing how <B>NSX Freak</B>'s NSX got here to Australia - was it a Japanese import, or shipped in parts?

That's true... I hope the dealer in Japan could somehow provide us an online VIN checker, for us to trace back the car's history before we make any purchase... Just like how the car dealer do on the website in US.

Mine is directly imported from Japan. Yours? You bought from Honda Agent locally? *gulp* :eek:

13015DSC01302-med.JPG

Fuel line looks like it is rusted...........

13015DSC01301-med.JPG

13015DSC01298-med.JPG

Look more like rivets than spot welds..............

Armando

Hi MiamieNeSeX,

Thanks for your reply and your comments.

Yeah, its not all welded. But a combination of weld and rivets. For the part which is layered, they rivet it, where as the cut section, they joined it by welding it.

Then, what's your answer to my question? How safety and rigid do you think is this car. When I drive it fast, no doubt that it respond as well as a perfect NSX... But I doubt with its reliability after a few more years... That's why I need to know so that I could act something to do precautious.

The fuel is rust on the outer, but the inner is fine. Will replace it after a few years. Anyway, do you think I should I should send it to the workshop and redo the welding work? Since, like what you said, it is more rivet than weld, how realiable do you think?

I understand that these questions are tough to anwser... But just tell me what you think and what I should do...

Thanks

Thanks.

MiamieNeSeX said:
13015DSC01302-med.JPG

Fuel line looks like it is rusted...........

13015DSC01301-med.JPG

13015DSC01298-med.JPG

Look more like rivets than spot welds..............

Armando

looks like who ever welded it didnt really care.. just blobs and no beads (line welds), hope it at least penatrated the alum. to last

I understand that the fuel lines would not be rusted on the inside, I was nearly pointing that out as it shows that the motor was exposed to the elements for some time. As the intake cover also shows signs of corrosion.

Good Luck

Armando

NSX Freak, sorry to hear about your troubles. I gather you got your car via an importer am I right?

If so, then there is nothing you can do except try to discuss with the importer on a settlement, otherwise take it to small claims and discuss it with the judge. It is very difficult to check the condition of any car when importing a car because its in another country and you only get to see a couple of pictures, so you have to trust the importer. IMO, I don't trust any importer since they don't even see the cars until it reaches Austraila and after you have placed your deposit. They'll show you some pictures but the pics are so small so you can't really see the finer details. They are merely being paid for the paperwork being done at the port before giving you the car, but that is after you have done all the leg work.

Sad story but after all the repairs that it has gone through, I think it should be ok to drive it provided that you don't hit something. Keep us up to date with what's happening with your car.

Sorry to hear of your worries NSXFreak.
Sounds like you cant do much about it now so it would probably be wise to trust your instincts and get the car looked at by a person who is experienced in rigidity and welds on aluminium and do the work nessasary to get piece of mind...after that, enjoy it!
What part of Oz are you in?

93BlkOnBlkNSX said:
I don't mean to throw salt on a wound, or sound like a jerk, but it just goes to show how careful buyers need to be, and that you get what you pay for. I'll never again apologize for the price I have set my '93 at, because I KNOW what a new owner would get (if I indeed pull the trigger to sell).

(points up) Me neither, but...

...the colour of your car matches one NSX which was imported from Japan under the now dead 15 year-old rule.

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/details.asp?StockID=2867

It definitely looks like an awesome specimen, although curiously, they did not provide any engine bay shots. If you look at any other vehicle on their site, they always have engine bay shots. Indeed, I do hope it just slipped their mind that they forgot the shot, and that they weren't covering any damage. :frown:

Fuel line on the fuel sensor or whatever it is (rectangular shape thingie). That thingie can become very hot. The fuel line should be put in the proper place.
13015DSC01302-med.JPG

Jin1976 said:
Fuel line on the fuel sensor or whatever it is (rectangular shape thingie). That thingie can become very hot. The fuel line should be put in the proper place.
13015DSC01302-med.JPG

Also Check the return line. It should be tight to the second bump.
Not a big deal, but get a throttle line stay that bolts to the square cover.
Clip the resistor harness to the bracket.
If you want to hide some of the welds and rivets. Look around on this site . the areas in question should be black. Maybe by painting it the right color will soften it some.
That sucks that he lied to you.

Whoah~ Been away from this topic for a long while already... and still the respond is overwhelming :biggrin:

Anyway, thank you to you all whom provides me with your opinions, your experiences, your sympaties, and suggestions. I do appreciate it. Actually, I have sent my car to visit several local body frame workshop (including Jaguar authorised workshop. I heard they are speciallist in dealing alluminium frame repairing) for some evaluation. However, the respond were...

1) Bad news - The work done was really bad. In the way of untidyness... It was a rough work.

2) Good news - The body frame (red circles on body frame.jpg) was uncut. Only the frame panel (blue circle on body panel.jpg) was transplanted from alien NSX. (Thanks GOD!!) So basically, the rigidity is still there. As for the body frame, what they did was glue and rivet + spot weld. The workshop peoples claim that should be even tougher than the original factory frame. :smile: Well, I don't know. I guess I have to believe on what they comment. I think all my doubts and worriness are gone :biggrin:

13015Body_Frame.jpg

13015frame_panel.jpg

Jin1976 >>
I'm not quite sure which rectangle thingy you were talking about. I just don't see any of those... would you please mind to circlet the location of it at the picture below? Thanks ! :wink:

Chudson >>
"Not a big deal, but get a throttle line stay that bolts to the square cover."

Where is the square cover ?

"If you want to hide some of the welds and rivets. Look around on this site . the areas in question should be black. Maybe by painting it the right color will soften it some."

Yes, I do have the plan to paint it black. And thanks for your comment.
That sucks that he lied to you.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thanks Jin ;)

Now I see it. Oh geex... even my fuel line is different from OEM... Damn...
Ermm... I have just took the measurement. The distance of my fuel line is about 5cm or more away from the rectangular thingy. I think should be ok... Anyway, thanks ;)

Back