The Official 2013 F1 Thread...

If nothing else Webber was a true gentleman, and as an Australian I'm proud of his achievements in F1, and the way he conducted himself. From the very start he dominated his teammates, until Vettel came along. Even then, the first couple of years he matched Vettel lap for lap. But encroaching age, and I think the realization that he did not match Vettel's ruthlessness, in the end hastened his will to retire. I trust he'll do marvelously in LMP with Porsche [as long as we don't have anymore low flying racing cars :)]

Bring on 2014, and another Aussie [to whom I have a personal affiliation, in that his father is a business associate of mine] whom the world will love because he is an all round nice person. Which probably precludes him ever winning a world championship.

True, all sports need a gentleman or two and Weber sure seems to fit the bill. I don't think he lacked will and aggression but I guess there are so many other factors that play into an F1 career, some very circumstantial like the following analysis I read yesterday indicates.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/2...d-formula-1-remember-the-retiring-mark-webber

As to Ricciardo, there is a lot to bet on; poor guy will feel the pressure. He belongs to the new generation of "groomed" drivers, unlike the guys who come up the ranks in a disorderly way and have to earn their rides in a different way or bring in a lot of cash to the teams. It should make for an interesting season. I hope Checo goes to FIndia and Hulk stays with Sauber or goes to lotus. I have a gut feel that he's got the talent of a champ.

Team stability is crucial in F1. Since Brawn's news of his departure broke i think since the beginning of the season , there were signs the team did not know which direction to follow. Its your classic "too many cooks in the kitchen." Two technical directors never works. On top of this squabbling you have the board at Mercedes who think they know what's best for the team.

Its similar to what happened with the board of directors calling the shots at Toyota F1 when Mike Gascoyne took over. He couldn't make his own technical decisions whatsoever, and the board hampered his every move. We all know how they ended up. There is a bigger problem at Mercedes and its the board vs any Tech. Director. So anyone in that role, is going to suffer an awful fate. I just hope Mercedes do not go down the route of Toyota F1.

The departure of Ross Brawn has made a large unsettling at Mercedes F1. I'm a Lewis Hamilton fan, and Lewis' career will no doubt suffer. Hopefully he gets out by 2015 when his contract is up. Mercedes F1 are going to take a noise dive as this team instability will continue to drive this wedge.

Now that we know the next NSX will have a longitudinally mounted engine just ahead of the rear axle, might it be that Honda is trying to have some common design elements with their Formula 1 engine?

Back