The Official 2011 F1 Thread....Now That 2010 is Over

Now that Sebastien V. won the title, who will have a chance next year?
I am rooting for Mark Webber for next year, just because he showed great sportsmanship toward the end.
I thought Alonso was going to win going to the last race (didn't care for him much). So in a way, I am glad that the champion is someone else!

I predict Ferrari will bounce back next year.
McLaren still a contender.
Red Bull still strong for podiums.
Force India will be closer to the front?

Re: Let's start a list of all the variables

For starters, the tires will be a huge variable; especially since Pirelli is coming in cold.
KERS: who's going to make that work? Could be another bust?
Rear wing? not sure how that will be different than the F-duct, so anyone know?

Anyone hear about Bernie being mugged, they gave him a nice shiner too.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...hoto-of-mugged-F1-boss-Bernie-Ecclestone.html

340x_bernie_ecclestone_mugging.jpg

Re: Strange stuff

Anyone hear about Bernie being mugged, they gave him a nice shiner too.
Yeah, that strikes me as strange that he would be somewhere where that could happen. And even stranger that he wouldn't have a body guard/personal assistant and a driver with him at all times. :confused:

On another note, which I guess is not very strange, Williams can't keep Hulk. Remember the Brazilian race and they talked about how he was driving for his job and then he put Williams on pole for the first time in 5 years? And after he got pole, Varsha says that "if this guy is not in F-1 next year, something is horribly wrong" and Hobbsy supports that with the observation that he's the 6th youngest pole sitter in history" And Varsha gushes some more: "....the flag bearer for all young drivers who have nothing to bring to the table but their talent.......in his rookie season."

Oh well, this is F-1 after all. Bygones. :frown:

I think Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso will be fighting for the title next year. They'll adapt to KERS better than their respective stable mates and have competitive cars.

If I had to pick before testing results come out I'd pick Vettel to repeat. He learned a lot this season, including how to win, and what not to do.

Re: This is a bit bold

everyone coming right out and saying that Vettel's evenutally going to Ferrari. Presumably this would be after the respective contracts run out (gotta save money, yo) but more importantly, after they figure out how to keep both he and Fred from killing if not hating on each other.

How would you feel if you were Flippy right now? :redface:

I'd be more interested in getting Newey myself.

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-150874.html

anybody have a link to engine changes for next year and beyond. I heard from a friend of mine that they will go with 1.6L 4 cylinders in a next couple of years!:eek: I sure hope he was just kidding!

anybody have a link to engine changes for next year and beyond. I heard from a friend of mine that they will go with 1.6L 4 cylinders in a next couple of years!:eek: I sure hope he was just kidding!

2013 is when they will go to 4cyl turbo engines, but I think they'll be 1.5L.
Why do you hope he was kidding, it's not the first time Formula1 has used turbo'd 4cyl engines. In the 80's, BMW's engine was making somewhere close to 1300 hp

Re: Tires..........more potluck?

So, what do y'all think about Pirelli making 4 different compounds and suggesting that most drivers will need to make 2 if not 3 stops for new ones. Bet Button can still get by with one stop. :rolleyes:

Could be another wild card to "make it more interesting"? Or on 2nd thought, some would call it chaotic, since they're thinking of distributing tires lottery style, which suggests that consistency and predictability from one set to another is suspect? :rolleyes:

I better stop here, because Richard Fish used to caution: "Never trust second thoughts. If there are two, there's a 3rd & then a 4th and next thing ya know, you’ll end up thinking forever." :eek:

Re: Not the first time

that Ford, F150 and Ferrari have come together.

(I'd seen this pic before, but Joe Saward pointed it out this time.)

Attachments

• F150.jpg
    F150.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 141
Article from January 2011 on F1 teams' use of Particle Image Velocimetry : http://www.f1technical.net/features/15830?sid=bdc7f129dda1397042778f5a282afdcd

The whole problem in this area though is how to visualise flow without introducing something new into that flow that could potentially compromise the results. The appliance of PIV posed an excellent solution to this problem.
As an optical flow visualisation method, PIV allows to visualize the flow field almost exactly as it appears, without influencing the very flow field that engineers are seeking to measure.

Toyota's PIV system involves filling the tunnel with a fog or mist spread by a seeding generator. The company is using Di-Ethyl-Hexyl-Sebacat (DEHS) for its visualization particles mainly because it is non-toxic, is liquid at room temperature and has nearly the same density as air. When the air flows through the tunnel, the small particles that make up the fog simply float, making this PIV method as non-intrusive as current technology will allow.

Once the DEHS particles are evenly spread in the wintunnel, the camera is positioned at a 90-degree angle to the plane of the flow field that needs to be studied. Next, engineers illuminate the part that needs to be visualized with a high-powered laser, creating a 2D plane. Simultaneously, a series of two-set photos are taken in extremely rapid intervals. Equipped with this sort of ultra-slow-motion digital imaging, engineers can easily measure the direction of the flow field and the rate of flow.
I wonder if McLaren's in-house wind tunnel has this? It seems an obvious and very essential feature of any wind tunnel.

Re: I like it.........I think

I think black and gold is classy; especially when it brings back images of Mario's drive in the 70's. Jack, couldn't tell much from your pic, so I thought I'd throw this one up there. Edit: forgot to show Mario's '79 ride

Well, anyway, it looks better than the new F-150. :biggrin: 'Course, I'm not much of a pick-em-up guy. :wink:

Attachments

• Lotus.jpg
    Lotus.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 60
  • F150ferrari.jpg
    F150ferrari.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 47
  • Mario.jpg
    Mario.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Re: Sauber C30

I think black and gold is classy; especially when it brings back images of Mario's drive in the 70's. Jack, couldn't tell much from your pic, so I thought I'd throw this one up there. Edit: forgot to show Mario's '79 ride

Well, anyway, it looks better than the new F-150. :biggrin: 'Course, I'm not much of a pick-em-up guy. :wink:
No problem Ted. I'm looking forward to testing this week.
That's the team I'm rooting for this year. Jenson Button too of course. ;)
I think Red Bull Torro Roso is gonna be a surprise stand-out this season.

Jack, isn't that the "Team Lotus" concept?

Here's the Lotus Renault R31:

rena_vale_2011.jpg

Nice to see Bruno Senna in the 3rd Driver role. I'm hoping he can score a race seat in 2012... I'm hoping he gets the opportunity in a decent car. Being a 3rd Driver @ Renault is probably better than being a race driver (or should I say pay driver) at that joke of a team, HRT.

First shot of the Mercedes W02 (should see more tomorrow):

merc_w02_2011_rendering.jpg

I'm sincerely hoping Schumacher wipes the floor with Rosberg. I am NOT a Schuey fan by any means, but I'm even less of a Rosberg fan. I'm even secretly hoping Schu can turn it around and have a better year... He's more likable as an underdog.

Sauber C30:

sauber_c30_studio_2011-3.jpg

Not sure how I feel about Sergio Perez, but he apparently brought the Sauber team a slew of Mexican sponsors and an injection of cash. Hopefully he can prove me wrong in assuming he's simply a pay driver. Looking forward to seeing Kobayashi in 2011; he's always exciting to watch.

Team Lotus TL11:

lotus_tl11_3.jpg

Pretty sick of the whole Lotus Renault GP / Team Lotus naming row. Read an interview with Gerard Lopez stating that Tony Fernandes just needs to come clean and let everyone know the whole naming issue is due to money. He'll lose out on the Commercial Rights money if they change names, and I personally agree with Lopez... If that's the real reason (Which I'm sure it is. This has nothing to do with "heritage" and "Colin Chapman's dream."), then he just needs to come clean and SAY it. The Lotus car company and the Chapman family themselves are behind Lotus Renault GP. Let it go.

Looking forward to seeing if 1Malayasia, or Team Lotus, or Lotus Racing, or whatever the hell it's called back up their claims of fighting in the midfield though. I anticipate them blowing Virgin and especially HRT away.

Ferrari F150:

ferrari_f150_1680_8.jpg

Nice to see the car that's going to lose the championship to the MP4-26... :)

Back