The NSX search journey

Hi all, new to this forum and always been a NSX admirer. Hopefully be an owner soon. I'm looking into tow different one on sale here. One is from IBCOOL 96 NSX-T with 12x,xxx miles blk/blk with just exhaust mod. The other is from Berlinaguy85 91 blk/blk with 170,xxx miles but 90,000 on the new instrument cluster. Both car is priced around the same, under 28k. Does anyone know about these cars and would anyone recommend? I like the 96 since its a targa, the other is nice too since the get did a entire,overhaul on the engine and he own a detail shop so he did a very nice job on the exterior. Any assistance would be deeply appreciated. Like some of the other newbies, this was one of my dream cars when it first,came out but of course couldn't afford back then. Now I like to make this dream come true, even if its a use one.

Thanks

Lamchop168

Hi all . . . Now I like to make this dream come true, even if its a used one.
Thanks
Lamchop168

Well if you wait a bit longer you will have a chance to pick up a New one. :smile:

As for me, I would still be stuck in the used market unless they offer an awesome lease deal or I hit the lottery.

I'm not familiar with either car you are looking at.

I'm sure somebody will know the cars here on prime.

The hunt is part of the fun. Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome.

Bump, anyone on these two cars? The 91 is in NJ so it's a shorter trip and the 96 is a targa and that's really what I want but it's in State of LA. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

My advice, don't rush the process. Figure out exactly what body type and color you want, set a realistic budget and wait it out until the "perfect" one pops up. It may take a few months but its worth it.

From what I gather, it looks like you prefer black/black and your budget is <$30k. You mentioned you wanted a targa, so I would say forget about the 91' and go with the 96'. Run a carfax/autocheck on it. If its clear then have someone do a PPI. I'd also recommend asking nicely to see if any local owners would be willing to check out the car for you.

Last edited:
Rbilder and coconut, thanks for the advice. Color is not a deal breaker, the price of under 30k, clean car, good interior, high miles not a big deal as long as record of maintanence is there and a good car that will last me a while would be the other. Thanks again.

Arista5, No. It if it get me some help here, I can be Shing. LOL......

Lamchop168 '95 - '96 are targas, they came with the 3.0 ltr 5-speed V6 and 97 up came mostly were targas with the 3.2L 6-speed V6. Like said before be patient and get exactly what you want. Do not be scared to shop for a car out side your area. If the car is clean and up to date on the maintenance then you should not have any worries about driving it back(Thats what I would do) or you can factor a little extra in for shipping. Like Coconut said if its outside your area ask a local owner to do a pre inspection on the car before you spend the money to get the car. Most owners are thrilled to check out another NSX for a potential buyer. Always try to get a PPI done aswell. Good luck.

Thanks Nukem! I'm trying to get as much info on purchasing one of these as best as I can. I'm still trying to find out if anyone knows or have seen these 2 cars before and if they have any comments on them. The price range is still a little high for me, I'm really looking to spend $25k or less if I can. Thanks everyone! Keep the comments coming.

lamchop168

Try posting in the regional section where those 2 cars are located it. See if anyone can vouch for the car or can check it out for you.

I don't think you'll be able to find an NSX for <$25k. If you do, its either salvaged or has some major problems. A clean, "no story" earlier year NSX with maintenance up to date or needing very little maintenance would be at least $30k now.

Last edited:
Agree with the above. Even if you find one for <$25K it most likely will need differed maintenance to bring it up to spec or have some other issue. Remember, you're dealing with a 20+ year old car, even if it is a Honda. If you raise your budget to $30K your chances of finding a cleaner, well maintained NSX are going to be greater. If you do find one for <$25K you can use the the additional $5K for the differed maintenance. Now if you get lucky and don't need the maintenance then you can pocket the $5K or put it away for future maintenance issues.

Thanks coconut and dv8, this is one of the reason I'm trying to find out if these 2 cars are any good. 91 is pretty old but the guys did an entire engine overhaul. 96 has targa and looks to be okay and has upgraded exhaust. The most important is that both car is under $28k.

Back