Taitec GTLW with Test Pipes?

Just think of a horrible drone between 1700-2300 RPM that will make everyone around you hate your car and give you a headache.

That should pretty much give you an idea.

I put a GTLW last year and added the test pipe this year and I couldn't be happier. I don't know how it sound outside the car but it sounds sweet inside the car. And actually not that loud unless you make it rev.

Only bad is that I always want to hear it so I drive harder than I used to.

Just think of a horrible drone between 1700-2300 RPM that will make everyone around you hate your car and give you a headache.

That should pretty much give you an idea.

Actually, the test pipes eliminated 98% of the drone. Still, a little loud and raspy. But does sound great! :smile: (speaking from experience, as I have headers/GTLW/test pipes)

I just installed the GTLW on my '91 with stock cats and header/exhaust manifold. The 'drone' is WAY over rated IMHO. Yes, I hear the begining of 'drone' for 1 second around 2k rpm, then it passes. This is only under load...in 3rd or 4th gear at 2k rpm. Even then, it doesn't rattle the cabin or my head. There is nothing at highway speed. If installing test pipes or an after market header reduces this so called 'droning' then even better. This is my impression in my car.

Actually, the test pipes eliminated 98% of the drone. Still, a little loud and raspy. But does sound great! :smile: (speaking from experience, as I have headers/GTLW/test pipes)

I forgot I didn't have the test pipes on there when I had that exhaust. I really liked it but the drone SUCKS. I hated it. I took it off within two weeks and sold it. Lost a bunch of money.

A friend wanted an exahust -- I said don't get that one. He did anyway. His wife hated the drone so much she wouldn't go in the car anymore. Luckily he wrecked the car and replaced it with the Anytime.:biggrin:

I am surprised nobody has made exhaust with the bypass valves like the vette and Ferrari. That is the best of both worlds IMO.

Last edited:
My GTLW with high flow cats/headers was way too loud for me. I had it off the car in 30mins.

Guess I'm just getting too old!

I forgot I didn't have the test pipes on there when I had that exhaust. I really liked it but the drone SUCKS. I hated it. I took it off within two weeks and sold it. Lost a bunch of money.

A friend wanted an exahust -- I said don't get that one. He did anyway. His wife hated the drone so much she wouldn't go in the car anymore. Luckily he wrecked the car and replaced it with the Anytime.:biggrin:

I am surprised nobody has made exhaust with the bypass valves like the vette and Ferrari. That is the best of both worlds IMO.

Stop hating Dave!!! Lol GTLW center-exit. high flow cats. Dave was sick lol

I ran the gtlw and test pipes for years,and got many compliments at track events,plus a "too loud" warning at Lime Rock:mad: Now the downside,most of my nsx brethren protested having to follow me on drives,just too annoying.

I have a video of my setup I can send...of course they are center exits so im not sure if there is a difference

I think the center exit may be more painful .There is a certain white widebody in Arizona that nearly ruptured my eardrum cruising side by side:redface:

AS docjohn said (Romeo and I) His car Dream28 no cats, Me JGTC Center-exit test pipes. We could not ride side-by-side on the highway to TEXPO. Our cars were insanely loud together with the windows up.

With the GTLW center -exit and Random high cats. It's not as loud but still will turn heads.

I had the GTLW w/ cats and it was a tad too loud. There's definitely a drone cruising on the highway...gave my wife a headache on our long drive. Maybe I am just getting old :eek:

Jeff

IMHO any Taitec exhaust and test pipes is going to be extremely loud. I put on a parallel exhuast with test pipes and couldn't get home fast enough to put on the cats. When I had my HKS exhaust with test pipes the car sounded perfect.

IMHO installing the inner tubes/silencers all but eliminates drone while reducing HP gain a bit however, still lighter weight & better flow than OE exhaust.

Two words, BAD ASS! :eek:and don't get no silencers crap.. learn from me. If you want a "silent yet loud exhaust", just use stock cats :rolleyes:

If you're cruising and not at WOT, the car doesn't sound much louder than regular aftermarket exhaust.

Unless you think the cops are out to get you, GET IT! :biggrin:

There is definitely a drone in the 3k range. I had it on my 91 stock gear ratios and cruising on the highway between 50-70 is, unfortunately, where the drone sweet spot is.

Never tried it with test pipes. Went with another exhaust which is louder but absolutely zero drone. The difference is amazing. It bugged me when I had the GTLW but because I was resisting buyers remorse and I did love the sound "outside" the car, I just played it down in my mind. When I changed exhausts, it was similar to going back to OEM "inside" the car but maintaining an aggressive sound outside.

I have the ARC Titanium with test pipes.

GTLW + Test pipes are not that loud......I once had a cop parked on the highway just over the overpass, that left his speed trap and exited the highway because he heard me on the feeder. :smile:

just got the gtlw on my 04 and can barely hear it in the car:confused: definately no drone and not much louder than the comptech in the car. my 99z has comp headers and the parallel and its a lot louder but not irratating in the cabin al all.

just got the gtlw on my 04 and can barely hear it in the car:confused: definately no drone and not much louder than the comptech in the car. my 99z has comp headers and the parallel and its a lot louder but not irratating in the cabin al all.

Sounds like you need to remove the silencers.

Back