Sway Bars -- I'm confused...

I spent a good 2 hours reading through old posts, the FAQ, etc on which sway bars to use, and whether or not to use an aftermarket REAR sway or not.

From what I gather, half of the people here run *just* the NSX-R FRONT bar, and the other half run a swaybar kit(either SOS or Comptech). Both camps seem to like their set-ups.

Any words of wisdom? Anyone who DOESN'T like their set-up?

I'm currently running stock everything on a 97 NSX.
I'll eventually get stiffer springs and shocks.

I believe most people running one set up have never run the others. In my case, I never even give other Sway bar a chance. I have Type R because it is factory spec, plug and play. No fitment issues.

Try the Type R, you will like it.

VADER33 said:
I am going to try Type R front and Zanardi rear. Both are Honda parts and I have read good things about the combo.
Ray
With Zanardi rear, and stiffer suspension set up, the car will behave with more over steering.

Why not buy a matched set like Comptech. I've had them for five years and like the feel with them. I'm sure that the Zanardi and Type R sways are good, but how easy is it to find a pair for sale.

DocL said:
Why not buy a matched set like Comptech. I've had them for five years and like the feel with them. I'm sure that the Zanardi and Type R sways are good, but how easy is it to find a pair for sale.

Ted just picked up a Zanardi bar from Ciro at Delray Acura a few weeks ago. And I installed it after only being home from the hospital 3 days after my surgery. It's all Ted's fault I had to go back in. :smile:

I have had Dali and comptech and like many things about this car we can often get hung up on over analyzing mods,I don't feel there is too much downside to going with any of the usual vendors bars.The difference in street drivability is small but in the right situations where you might lean the car over a bit in iether high speed sweepers or tight auto-x type turns you will notice a flatter attitude.

Bought the complete Comptech set... ran it on the track for about half a year... someone suggested removing the rear bar.. so i did.. haven't put it on since..

just my .02... some people don't like the amount of understeer it gives but to me it makes the car feel very neutral on the edge.

x

I went through RM bars then to the Dali streets, and now I'm quite happy with keeping it simple this time around with just the Type-R front bar. Well that and the chassis braces and Type-R suspension. :biggrin:

Otto

DocL said:

Dali has both. Saw them in person last week. Try the "R" front first, if you like and want to be advanturous, get the "S" bar later. You may not want to go with the "S" rear because "R" only front offers a very neutral handling.

Jond one of these threads had detailed specs on all the bars. The reason some go to type R front bar and stock rear like myself, is that my rear bar IS the same as the Type R bar. The car is VERY well balanced now. Very neutral.

The Zanardi bar should give a bit more oversteer. I don't think your rear bar however is the same as my 2005 rear bar. So in your case, the car with just the front R bar will probably have some slight understeer.

I would suggest going with something adjustable. I think SOS, Dali and Comptech all have something like three different settings?

Given the similar pricing to the non adjustable stuff, get something you can tune!

"like many things about this car we can often get hung up on over analyzing mods"

We have a winner...:biggrin:

Have tried a 1/2 dozen brands on a 1/2 dozen different cars.
(Susp techniques, AADCO, Sway Away,Guldstrand, BellTech, Dali, as well as others.)
All worked out great! My NSX had Dali bars installed when I bought it.
The thing is like a slot car. Not going to change a thing.
Also, cant say I have tried every combo out there on an NSX.
But would have to think the ones your looking at would all be very close to being about the same.
(Unless you buy some huge full race bars with heim joints & spherical bearings) Your spring / shock settings play a big / bigger role here as well.
Back to sway bars........
I have had better luck with matched sets, and would go for adjustable bars
over non adj. (Even though they always seems to end up on the center hole)

Price is also a factor with sway bars. I put a set on another vehicle of mine last week. Ended up finding a matched set for the same price as another co's rear bar. Shop around, its not a very scientific part, but they do work wonders :biggrin:

There is no clear cut answer of what you should do. It all depends on your preference. Some people run stiff rear sway bars, some people doesn't run sway bar in the rear at all! Here's the setup I went through though.

stock:
pro - nice ride, handles decently as mother honda designed
con - looks lifted, snap oversteer, soft

H&R springs/Koni shocks + Dali street/track sway:
Pro - nice low look, nice OEM like ride, sways and shocks are adjustable, neutral handling
con - Still soft esp the front end, scrapes a lot, sway hits type-r chassis bar

Tein RA 10k/9k springs + Type-R sway front stock rear, chassis bars
Pro - Ride height adjustable, sway fits perfect with chassis bar, mild understeer
con - ride is harsh and bouncy on the street

With the last setup, I am no longer feeling the front end flex/slop that I felt with the second setup above. I am feeling more understeer at slow/tight corner but I am willing to live with that.

Go with adjustable bars.

If you have the NSX R Front chassis braces the sway bar may hit the lower chassis bar. It did on my car. This will limit suspension travel. Not a good thing.

There are spacer kits available that will help. I track my car alot and the conbination of bar and spacer did not work. I removed the lower chassis bar.

The nsx-r sway bar may not have this problem?

Good Luck.

Later,
Don

nsxnut said:
nsx-r sway bar?

I never tried the nsx-r sway bars.
On the street my sway bar was ok. On the track was a differnt story.

nsx-r sway bar is bent so that it does not hit the chassis bar. plenty of clearance. It also does not interfere with the radiator hose which my old dali bar used to touch slightly.

-ak

Back