Suggestion on organizing the parts for sale section

Instead of their example of "for sale" and "wanted" I could set up prefixes mirroring the subcategories that are currently in place.

This does seem to be the option that will fit the widest set of uses. I loved the idea...until I saw it in action on the M5 forum. It took me 2 minutes to figure out how to filter by prefix on the M5 forum and (1) I was already aware that the functionality existed, (2) specifically looking for it, and (3) computers are my trade. Now I only like the "prefix" idea (which is still good enough).

My concern is that the casual user (I'm picturing my mom or dad trying to find a part on NSX Prime) won't know of the functionality or be able to use it without guidance. I think the benefits (pleasing the browsers) outweigh this downside...and the downside can be mitigated by a sticky thread something like:

Subject: Want to filter these ads by category?
Body: Scroll down toward the bottom of this page (under all of the ad listings) and look for the "Display Options" section. In there, select the desired "prefix" and then click the "show threads" button. Like this...

(picture of "Display Options" box with drop-down and button highlighted with a circle or arrow)

I envision that the prefixes would largely mirror the current subforum names (e.g. "Exhaust," "Wheels.") Alternatively, some folks have suggested breaking things down by year model year group (e.g. "1991 - 1994") but I am concerned that it is too messy because different parts have different model year breaks. I don't know that it would be practical to do both (the prefix list would be huge!). So I ask: What prefix system makes the most sense?

Unless I'm not seeing some posts, the two people mentioning years (HIJACKER and myself) are doing so in the context of the "NSXs for sale" area, not "parts for sale."

For parts I like the current "categories" you and others have come up with and think they would make good "prefixes." I've put a little thought into it and most (all) of the ideas I've come up for classifying differently would not be improvements.

For NSXs I like:

1991-1994
1995-1996
1997-2001
2002-2005

or

1991-1996
1997-2001
2002-2005

or

1991-1996
1997-2005

For both NSXs and parts I would caution against allowing "want to buy" prefixes alongside for-sale items as the M5 folks have done. I created and administer http://www.cologunmarket.com/mkt/ (others do the moderating, thankfully) so I have a few years of experience with online classifieds. In my opinion "want to buy" ads are (1) largely useless and (2) ripe for abuse from people who essentially use them as a means to market some totally-unrelated item. "I'm looking for (related item), willing to trade (unrelated item)."

You'll note that despite this opinion we still have a "want to buy" section. This was a compromise that pleases both parties. People who want to can post WTB ads and we're able to keep all the other sections free of them (and so moderators have a place to move these WTB ads when wrongly placed in another section).

Last edited:
Perhaps a classifieds add-on for vbulletin would be more appropriate? Then it'd be intended to do what we're trying to accomplish, rather than forcing forum software into a use it wasn't designed for.

I don't know what this is, but this is exactly what we need!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automotive-parts-accessories-sale-wanted-67/

That lets you add the flags/categories to your posts, so they're all searchable, but browsable in one huge list like our old style. It'd handle the cars for sale section too

Perhaps a classifieds add-on for vbulletin would be more appropriate? Then it'd be intended to do what we're trying to accomplish, rather than forcing forum software into a use it wasn't designed for.

I don't know what this is, but this is exactly what we need!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automotive-parts-accessories-sale-wanted-67/

That lets you add the flags/categories to your posts, so they're all searchable, but browsable in one huge list like our old style. It'd handle the cars for sale section too

Does anyone know the name for that add-on? It looks pretty nice.

I have a love/hate relationship with add-ons. There are some that add great functionality, but they are a maintenance headache and often leave you stranded if they are abandoned or not compatible with a newer version of the forum software. I try to install as few as possible. But that one looks like it might be worthwhile.

If that doesn't work out for some reason I plan to go with the category system, though I certainly recognize it is not the most elegant solution in the world.

I plan to do one or the other in the coming weeks. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

It's a lot more time consuming but I am getting used to it...

Is anyone a member of 6speedonline who could ask what mod they are using for their marketplace?

I sent a PM asking but I have a feeling it is something they developed themselves. That site is owned by Internet Brands, who owns a LOT of car forums (and I'm guessing has probably tried to buy you out before).

Awesome, awesome, awesome redo of the sales section...

in ONE glance, I can see everything that might interest me now, instead of clicking each category individually

Moderators: you're the best of the best, just like the NSX!

How do you add a prefix to an existing thread? From the tutorial, it seems you can only assign a prefix when starting a new thread.

Lud, if it might help, there is a mod that makes the prefixes clickable. What it does is that when a user clicks a particular prefix, it groups all of the same prefixes together. This way, those who want to just scan through individual categories can by simply clicking on the proper prefix.

I was going to suggest this sooner, but I know that you're not keen on mods. :)

FWIW, I've been using this mod on my forum for some time now (although not to this degree) and haven't had any issues.

It's been a few months now and I think this new mod has been favorable (i like it at least). However, the effort seems useless if the option to include a "tag" is not made mandatory.

See the classified section now... Only a small percentage actually use this tag/topic field. It can be very useful but only if the usage is pervasive and global to all new threads created.

How do you add a prefix to an existing thread? From the tutorial, it seems you can only assign a prefix when starting a new thread.

I missed this when it was originally posted.

You should have the option to change it when editing a message. Depending on your settings, you may need to click on the "Go Advanced" editor option.

Of course that will only work in forums with prefixes enabled (currently Parts FS and Parts Wanted)

It's been a few months now and I think this new mod has been favorable (i like it at least). However, the effort seems useless if the option to include a "tag" is not made mandatory.

See the classified section now... Only a small percentage actually use this tag/topic field. It can be very useful but only if the usage is pervasive and global to all new threads created.

I'm not sure I agree it is "useless" unless it is mandatory. I think the utility is pretty linear with the % of ads using it.

To be mandatory the categories would have to correctly cover any item someone might want to sell. It also needs to strike the right balance between covering a range of parts and being specific enough to be useful. I'm not sure the current category list accomplishes that.

I'm not sure I agree it is "useless" unless it is mandatory. I think the utility is pretty linear with the % of ads using it.

To be mandatory the categories would have to correctly cover any item someone might want to sell. It also needs to strike the right balance between covering a range of parts and being specific enough to be useful. I'm not sure the current category list accomplishes that.
I do see your point. Perhaps considering an "Other" or "Misc" category can be a catch-all for the items that don't seem to belong in any of the main categories.

Back