Stay away from Meguiars Scratch X

that $#%* was supposed to cover up slight scratches and get rid of the swirls.....All it did was screw up my black NSX!!! I had a little surface scratch I was going to use it on, but it left about a 2" by 6" discolored cloud on my baby!!! My heart raced as I wiped away the dried Scratch X and saw what it did...I immediatly tried to wash it off, but it didn't go away..I called the 800 number on the back, but ofcourse they were closed on the weekend(who washes their car on the weekend anyway:rolleyes: ) luckily I'm not too far from Irvine, Ca. so I'm going to take it up there tomorrow and show them what a fine product they have!!!

Stay away from that $#!T!!!!

Bummer to hear about this.

When trying something new like this I always try to find a spot that's out of the way such as a lower valence.

Hopefully another finer polish product can restore the shine.

-Jim

I know, I should have been more patient and tried it on an less visable spot first!!!

Damn!! Being trusting and impatient sucks!!!

I've had good results with Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 which I've used for the same purpose. It's abrasive, but it leaves the finish smooth when you're done, ready to wax.

I've used Meguiar's Scratch X on my NSX's black roof many times with no problems. You should remove it quickly after using it. Letting it dry on your paint may have left the clouding. You may want to try carefully going over the area with a fine polish to remove the clouding/residue left from the dried product.

Sounds like what happened to me when I used Langka. I had to take it to a professional detailer to take that "cloud" off, but it is still visible under fluorescent light. Now I treat every chip/scratch like its a beauty mark. Makes life easier that way.

i've also used meguiars scratch x on my black nsx with no problems at all. maybe you got a bad batch??

I didn't use the Meguiers brand but a similar product from another brand and it left the same cloudy area. However, when you go over the spot with a polish and wax it looks as good as new and the minor scratch was gone. I think a good polish and wax over the area should clean it right up.

don't give up, u can get rid of the scratches. To get rid of some oxidation I had, I used 3M RUBBING COMPOUND.... thats right, it was like using sand paper right on the paint. After the rubbing compound (3 coats) I went to the 3M polishing compound/swirl remover, then waxed with zymol and came out very good.

Two weeks later I did the whole Zaino system which improved the appearance even more. If I were you, i'd either try the 3M polish/swirl remover or the Zaino Z5.

SoCalNSX said:
that $#%* was supposed to cover up slight scratches and get rid of the swirls.....All it did was screw up my black NSX!!! I had a little surface scratch I was going to use it on, but it left about a 2" by 6" discolored cloud on my baby!!! My heart raced as I wiped away the dried Scratch X and saw what it did...I immediatly tried to wash it off, but it didn't go away..I called the 800 number on the back, but ofcourse they were closed on the weekend(who washes their car on the weekend anyway:rolleyes: ) luckily I'm not too far from Irvine, Ca. so I'm going to take it up there tomorrow and show them what a fine product they have!!!

HOLD YOUR HORSES. I used to be a detailer and also have a black NSX.
What happened was probably the result of the mixing of wax and pollish. In order to get the optimal result with pollish (especially on black) all the wax must be stripped off first. The paint MUST be cool as well.

Best way to do it is wash your car with Dawn. This will strip the car of waxes. You could also use a clay bar or compound your car if you'd like. The easiest and quickest way is Dawn.

Wash at least 2 times. I would never use compound to merely remove wax. Anything abrasive will remove some of your clearcoat and/or paint for that matter so only use compound to remove serious scratches.

I prefer the 3M finishing system but there are many great products out there. Whatever system you use may I suggest that all the products come from the same manufacturer. This will avoid any formulation incompatibility.

SoCalNSX said:

I think all you have to do is to spray some water mist on the paint and use a terry cloth to buff it out. Black cars do that all the the time with clouding which is not permanent and easily removable.
Steve

SoCalNSX said:

I would try a polish then a wax to see if this makes a difference.

Not that I condone the use of Meguiar's products ;), but you may have not have worked the area enough. With some more agressive polishes, you need to continue to work the area as the product begins to haze. At that point, you start turning your rag and continue to work it until the finish is clear. Basically, what you are doing is polishing down the edges of the scratch, but you are creating more, yet smaller scratches as you do. Continuing to work that area will break down the abrasive particles until they no longer scratch, but buff the area to a nice luster.

I have some polishing products that are a bit more "user friendly." Shoot me a PM and I can get you out a sample.

Best exterior system

Ok I have seen a thread on best products to use on the interior vinyl and leather but not on the exterior. In this thread, I see mention of Zymol (which also has excellent interior products), 3M and Zaino and yes--Meguiars... So how about a thread on the best exterior product---I just had my car wet sanded and buffed out and need to put a good wax etc on it.....So what's the best for the money---I was thinking of getting that Zymol Estate Glaze with 61% of white carnuba sap for 1300+--refillable container-free for life --special right now:rolleyes:

There is no "best" product. I feel that for every product there is a degree of trade off. For example, an acrylic synthetic will give you excellent shine and durability, but it can be argued that it leaves your paint lifeless and too shiny. A carnauba will give you the best depth to go with the shine, but durability is sacrificed.

If you ask yourself, "What are my goals, and how much effort do I want to put into achieving those goals." I can point you in a direction to find what you are looking for.

SoCalNSX said:

If it makes you feel better, the same thing happened to me. The cloud is still there on my left headlight cover after almost a year now. I have yet to have it buffed out as I plan on installing Marga Hills headlights. But as you said, it is $#!T!!!

Sorry. Guess I should have posted a while ago to warn everyone. By the way, my car is black as well!

AHHHHH--the depth of a perfect paint job from metal up (but not with aluminum body). Had that on my Jag once upon a time--that's what I call a good look--forget shiny--like that mirror finish where you can see the lines on your face (and I have too many)...

Re: Best exterior system

jrehner said:
In this thread, I see mention of Zymol (which also has excellent interior products), 3M and Zaino and yes--Meguiars... So how about a thread on the best exterior product

OK, how about this. I've tried 3M, Meguiars, Mothers, and Zymol. I know I'll get flamed for this but I thought Zymol was the worst: Turtle Wax worked better. But then I had a competition detailer turn me on to this product: One Grand. One of the oldest names in the business. Wash the car, clay it with Mothers, clean it with OG Special Touch, polish with OG Omega Glaze, and finish it with OG Blitz Wax. After I used this method for the first time, I showed up at an NSX meeting and had everyone ask if I'd had the car repainted. And my paint is in crap condition. This stuff really works. Try it and see for yourself.

There are lots of topics about detailing products, including some by me. As the Forums Nazi would say, do a search and they'll pop up.

I think that people are often too hung up on asking about brands rather than processes. While I have my own preferences (for various products from Zymol, Meguiars, and Clay Magic), I think you will get great results if you concentrate on a process, rather than which brand is best. The best process to give your car that showroom shine is a multi-step process. Depending on what kind of condition it's in, you will need to consider steps that include (a) washing it (obviously); (b) addressing any specific problem areas (such as removing tar or bird droppings with a solvent, and/or buffing down serious swirl marks or scratches with a swirl mark remover or fine compound); (c) removing surface contaminants with a clay product; (d) removing oxidation and light scratches with a non-abrasive cleanser or polish; and (e) applying a wax layer to protect the finish. I think going through this entire process on the car once, and then periodically using whichever products are needed to keep it looking good, will give you the best approach. And I think you can do it successfully regardless of whether you choose the Zymol products at a small number of retailers, the Zaino products sold through private distributors, or the Meguiars or Mothers products you can find at your neighborhood auto parts store or big discount store. I think you'll find a much greater difference between people who use all these steps, and those who don't, than you will between people who use all these steps for one brand, and those who do so with a different brand.

Excellent- nsxtasy-how about what DetailersParadise had to say--which group are the products you mentioned in following what DP said? I rather go with the deep lustre and DP said you get a different effect depending on whether its an acrylic etc or a wax...U see I know what a deep deep finish looks like where it's one color no metallic and in shadow has a multi-tone about it etc--u know what I mean....

Back