Stay away from Meguiars Scratch X

jrehner said:
nsxtasy-how about what DetailersParadise had to say--which group are the products you mentioned in following what DP said?

Well, I don't like interpreting someone else's words, and I hope DP will chime in if I get this wrong, but... according to the routine I had laid out:

Depending on what kind of condition it's in, you will need to consider steps that include (a) washing it (obviously); (b) addressing any specific problem areas (such as removing tar or bird droppings with a solvent, and/or buffing down serious swirl marks or scratches with a swirl mark remover or fine compound); (c) removing surface contaminants with a clay product; (d) removing oxidation and light scratches with a non-abrasive cleanser or polish; and (e) applying a wax layer to protect the finish.

I would assume that DP's first post, about polishing products, refers to step (b), and his second post, about carnauba and acrylic synthetics, refers to step (e).

The blue Zymol you see everywhere is a liquid carnauba made by Turtle Wax and sold as Zymol. The more expensive stuff is a carnauba paste.

Mothers makes both a paste and liquid carnauba.

Zaino is an acrylic synthetic.

If you want the deepest shine and don't mind waxing more frequently, I would suggest P21S. If you want the wet look of an acrylic synthetic, and 5-6 months of durability, go with Klasse All-In-One. If you want a nice mix of depth, shine and durability, try einszett Glanz Wax. It is a synthetic based on an organic molecule.

As nsxtasy pointed out, prep is key with any of the products. You want to start with a smooth, swirl-free surface. That means clay, polish then wax. If your paint surface is in good condition, you can omit steps at your discretion.

DetailersParadise said:
The blue Zymol you see everywhere is a liquid carnauba made by Turtle Wax and sold as Zymol. The more expensive stuff is a carnauba paste.

Just so that there is no confusion here...

There are certain products made by Turtle Wax that carry the Zymol name, that are found in lots of big chain stores, etc. Zymol also manufactures its own products that it sells in select upscale retailers around the country. It's easy to distinguish between the two by looking at the package. If it says made in Chicago, it's made by Turtle Wax; if it's made in Connecticut, it's made by Zymol. If you go to Zymol's website, you will see only the products that are made by Zymol in Connecticut.

The "more expensive stuff" that DP refers to is Zymol's carnauba paste wax product. They actually make a number of carnauba-based paste waxes, that vary in the percent of carnauba from 33 to 51 percent, which is significantly higher than the carnauba-based products of other brands. Many of these are also blue, including their "mainstream" waxes - Japon (for Japanese brand cars), Creame (for light colored American and European cars), Carbon (for dark colored American and European cars), etc. They come in a clear container, so they look blue when they're on the shelf. Other waxes may be other colors; for example, their NSX wax is yellow and comes in a dark red container.

well I went up to meguiars yesterday in Irvine,Ca and talked to Tom Mcdonald who did everthing he could to fix it , sprayed it, buffed it, waxed it, glazed it, buffed it and finally it's gone!!!
He then hooked me up with some step 2 polish and some applicators and micro fiber towels.He also refered me to their detail guy who is going to hook me up with a professional detail at a discount:D

So I still say scratch X sux, but Maguiars was very good about helping me out, so I'll still use their products, just not scratch X...

Last edited:
Ken,

Just a quick question. You mentioned:

(d) removing oxidation and light scratches with a non-abrasive cleanser or polish. The process I use makes that a two step process (d) non-abrasive cleaner (e) polish, then the wax to protect.

Make sense?? For (d) and (e) I have two distinct products.

Thanks,
LarryB

Last edited:
Here is an afterthought ............

one brand name car care product rep let us know a secret that a 50% mix of rubbing alcohol and water acts as a great and cost wise very cheap cleanser ;)

Great DP--that's what I was looking for-- a distinction of the products used in step E........Also would note that Zymol has an estate glaze with 61% white carnuba sap which is more costly than the yellow---it also costs an arm & a leg.....

DP--where do you find those products you mentioned--do they have internet sites-I have heard others mention Klasse but not the others

jrehner said:
Also would note that Zymol has an estate glaze with 61% white carnuba sap which is more costly than the yellow---it also costs an arm & a leg.....

Zymol has a variety of products and prices, including their waxes. Their Japon wax will be adequate for many NSX owners, and sells for $38 on their website. I use it on the vertical surfaces of my NSX and on my other car. On the horizontal surfaces of my NSX, I use one of the Zymol estate glazes, one which is similar to their Zymol NSX wax, which is formulated specifically for the NSX (and is not as expensive as some of their other estate glazes).

jrehner said:
DP--where do you find those products you mentioned--do they have internet sites-I have heard others mention Klasse but not the others

All should be aware that Detailers Paradise is a retailer of detailing products, including many of the ones he is recommending, so keep that in mind when deciding what to use. If you are looking for a place to buy those products, you can click on his logo at the bottom of the web pages on NSXprime, which he helps to sponsor (and for which he should be commended).

I have no financial or other personal interest in any of the products I recommend, including those from Zymol, Meguiars, 3M, Clay Magic, Yokohama, Toyo, Dali Racing, Science of Speed, or any other vendor of NSX products; my recommendations are only as a satisfied customer.

Sure, I am a retailer of car care products, but I'm not going to make stuff up to sell you something. I have a great deal of experience detailing cars for shows and pleasure. I have tried a great number of products and am happy to offer my experience to those in need. I carry the products that I have found to produce the best results for a specific effect.

I would hope that no one finds it offensive that I support what I sell and think that they are the best products on the market.

My advice is free and will forever be so regardless of whether you purchase from me or not.

Nick,

I am glad you are on this forum, and willing to share your experience and advice.

I also think it's great that you are helping Lud by sponsoring NSXprime.

It's good for all of us to understand our backgrounds and experience with detailing (as with any other aspect of the NSX) so that we can put anyone's comments and advice into a proper perspective.

The fact that you did not respond regarding the availability of those products from you, when a source was requested, is commendable as well.

As long as we all continue to share this forum in a spirit of helpful advice and communication, we'll be fine.

I concur with nsxtasy--I have been asking the questions as I need to go to step E--I don't have to worry about the best paint for the NSX as it's an unknown blue metallic paint with a clear coat..I bought it like this and the base paint prior to the clear has imperfections and the wet sand of the clear only improved to a degree--it will never be a great paint until I start over. The Carbon wax for the medium blue in Zymol I would use if I am to use that company's wax or I could go with an estate glaze---It's nice to know DP is willing to share his experience along these lines... Thanks--too bad he's not in Phoenix

supercharged said:
Ken,
is that you in your new Avatar trying to beat up that little ol' Integra?
;)

I could be wrong, but I think that ITR is Ken. I don't know what color he has, but I know he tracks his ITR as well as his NSX.

I hope you're not a bot, but you did just reply to a thread whose last post has reached the age to drink in most states. :unsure: I'm surprised they're still in business...

Back