• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stand-alone navigation device fitted in OEM pod

I am seriously thinking about getting a GPS in the NSX. I like the OEM Nav pod for its factory look but got kind of intimidated by all the wiring involved in putting the Alpine nav system and the cost. Then I realized that there are so many affordable GPS out there that will sit behind the pod. I know I can use a windshield suction device to mount the GPS but it does not look as cool. I wonder if anyone has tried stuffing a portable GPS onto the pod and perhaps made it removable to use on another car?
I was looking at the Clarion NICE but it looks like it will be too big. Maybe an Angeltrax?
Steve

Steve, you know I'll be more than happy to help you wire up an Alpine Nav if that is your preference. (can't help much on the cost except they are frequently available used on E-Bay and you can save installation costs obviously)

D'Ecosse said:
Steve, you know I'll be more than happy to help you wire up an Alpine Nav if that is your preference. (can't help much on the cost except they are frequently available used on E-Bay and you can save installation costs obviously)
Ken, thank you so so much.
I know you would help me and I totally appreciate that. I was actually very interested in the TomTom and the Clarion NICE which have some really nice features and it is probably much more advanced than the Alpine in terms of features. The technologies of GPS are advancing so fast that by the time we put the Alpine in, I figure a new generation of GPS has evolved. So the stand alone unit might be a cheaper way to keep up. I was even wondering if I could conceal a Valentine One in the pod. Well, too many ideas but too little space. Where can I get the lowest priced pod? Is the one sold by SOS including any custom parts or they are all the same?
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
... Is the one sold by SOS including any custom parts or they are all the same?...
They should be all the same - it's a Honda JDM part. I know the SOS is a kit & also includes the special vent adapter piece which is necessary to duct the vent properly to the pod.

I would say go with the Alpine navigation. The newest version is all voice activated, and I believe you can even control your iPod via voice if you get all the correct interfaces. I think it would be killer to have the latest Alpine nav running off the Alpine TME-M770 touch screen monitor. That would be the closest thing to Acura's latest nav system like in the current RL. You would also be able to watch DVD movies if you wanted. Simply install any Alpine DVD player like the new single in dash unit, or the DVD changer and you can control the DVD platers via touch screen. The M770 also accepts a reverse camera input if you wanted to run one. Anyway, that is just my opinion. I'm hooking up the Alpine DVD changer right now in my wifes RX330 running off a D300 touch screen head unit and two M770 monitors in the headrests.

I have looked at the latest Alpine Nav system which is actually not controllable with touch screen. So even with the 770 monitor, you won't have a touch screen Nav system.
Steve

Go with an in car computer and use the Xenarc screen. This allows GPS, voice activation, MP3, XM radio, DVD, wireless connection via hotspots and Internet via cell phone if you have the correct phone. It also costs less than the Alpine system.

Tim

whiteNSXs said:
I have looked at the latest Alpine Nav system which is actually not controllable with touch screen. So even with the 770 monitor, you won't have a touch screen Nav system.
Steve

Ahh, no kidding? I didn't realize that. Here is the Alpine press release I was basing my facts on. I was looking at this system since it has Hawaii maps.

When the NVE-N872A is used with the IVA-D310 or TME-M770, users have the choice of interfacing with the system and inputting data three different ways: via remote control, touch screen or voice control. The IVA-D310���s innovative PulseTouch technology delivers tactile confirmation of on-screen commands through the user���s fingertips. The technology can simulate different key styles to provide a unique feel when holding down, tapping, sliding or pushing a button.

whiteNSXs said:
I am seriously thinking about getting a GPS in the NSX. I like the OEM Nav pod for its factory look but got kind of intimidated by all the wiring involved in putting the Alpine nav system and the cost. Then I realized that there are so many affordable GPS out there that will sit behind the pod. I know I can use a windshield suction device to mount the GPS but it does not look as cool. I wonder if anyone has tried stuffing a portable GPS onto the pod and perhaps made it removable to use on another car?
I was looking at the Clarion NICE but it looks like it will be too big. Maybe an Angeltrax?
Steve

...or you could just skip the nav pod and do something like this:
IMG_3640.jpg

This removes in less than 5 seconds and is easily transferrable between vehicles. The vent mounted cradle stows nicely into the glove box. No suction cups or bulky mounting arms involved!

But it seems that you might be looking for something a little fancier.

ChrisK said:
Ahh, no kidding? I didn't realize that. Here is the Alpine press release I was basing my facts on. I was looking at this system since it has Hawaii maps.
Sorry, I did not realize there is a new model now. I just checked the website and they only have the NVE-N852A as the current model.
I was also looking at the Kenwood model. Does anyone know if I can get the Kenwood XXX4100 brain and just hook up to the Alpine 770 monitor?
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
I was also looking at the Kenwood model. Does anyone know if I can get the Kenwood XXX4100 brain and just hook up to the Alpine 770 monitor?

biggthum.gif

Attachments

• nav.JPG
    nav.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 616
whiteNSXs said:
Hi Ken,
Does it mean that the touch screen control will function with the Alpine monitor/Kenwood nav combo?
Steve
I don't know Steve but likely not - I'm just going by the info on the site - if I can download a manual I'll try to determine more.
According to what I cut n pasted it literally says you can use any monitor by utilizing their mic or remote control (which appears to be wired - yeeuch!)

I don't think touch screen will be possible on the Kenwood nav unit if you use the Alpine touch screen monitors. The way the touch screen works on all the Alpine compatible products is you actually hook up a monitor control wire and a remote wire to the product being controlled. Or, in the case of the A/V compatible headunits you hook up an A/V control cable. When this is done it allows the products (DVD changer, nav unit) specific menus to show up on the touch screen for use.

Id like more up to date info on these models if you guys have any.

I currently have a KVT 911 flip screen in my integra that has everything including navi, dvd, cdr, Sirius sat radio etc and its touch screen with wire LESS remote,
I LOVE it but its a flip screen and i want a clean look in the NSX like the factory pod, and alpine navi

I NEVER use the Navi but I would like to have DVD in there and on a high screen like the pod has...... its hard to watch movies in the integra where the radio sits......

if you guys have any solution please let me know.
of course the radio position in the NSX is higher though

confused :confused:

Pardon me for barging in, :D but I'm highly interested in some of the nav options discussed here.

It seems like the below nav configuration/components would be the least intrusive in that I wouldn't have to hack up the center console or deal with a custom enclosure. Also, I plan to do the SOS Stage 1 audio upgrade, so I'm not interested in a full blown nav/dvd/receiver head unit. I'm guessing there will need to be some custom wire harness/cabling necessary to connect the nav to monitor; no off the shelf stuff available? In Addition, would the trunk be the best place to mount nav unit, next to the OEM dvd player? Vertically or horizontally mounted?

1) Honda JDM GPS Navigation Pod 6.5" (SOS)
pod1.jpg

2) Alpine, TME-M770, 6.5" Touch Panel Wide Screen LCD Color Monitor
tme-m770.gif

3) Kenwood, KNA-DV4100 navigation
l_knadv4100.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I did. I did alot of research on my NAV/DVD/JDM NAV POD set up. I wanted a full blown touch screen dvd setup with the OEM JDM nav pod. Alpine does NOT offer touch screen with their current nav set with the M770 and im pretty sure if you did a kenwood nav setup with the alpine screen it wont be touch screen. nav is really point less with out touch screen IMO. So i got the idea from a Prime member with got the kenwood LZ800w 8 inch touch screen and took the outside plastic surrounds the touch screen itself and pretty much put it in the nav pod which fits flush and looks OEM. I just glued the curcuit touch screen into the nav pod and it holds in and fits in 100% perfect doent look after market one bit all OEM. one thing is the buttoms on the screen i just got rid of them since they are power on and zoom in and out and volune which is already with the touch screen unit so im hope i dont need them since its touch screen.Then i just bought the kenwood KNA-DV4100 nav system with the vc300 micorphone with the nav and also a KDV-s210 DVD player its all kenwood and all touch screen plus i can use the nav with just my voice. So far im waiting for a shop to install my nav system and mic and dvd in the rear of my nsx. I will post pics of my nav pod with my screen fitting on my nsx tomorrow

760NSX said:
... Alpine does NOT offer touch screen with their current nav set with the M770 and im pretty sure if you did a kenwood nav setup with the alpine screen it wont be touch screen. ...

Can anyone confirm that the Alpine, TME-M770 touch-screen monitor hooked up to the Kenwood, KNA-DV4100 navigation unit will not provide touch-screen functionality?

thx

760NSX said:
here you go

29622.jpg

29623.jpg

29624.jpg

can you take some pics with the screan 'on'? I am wondering how much area is cutoff by the pod frame...

Who can help me with my ALPINE NAV install? Im confused if I need to connect a few wires. ALpine told me two different answers for the following wires, speed sensor wire, backup wire, and dimmer? Two different guys told me two diff answers one said to install them and the other told me they aren't important. Can any one help me that has installed an Alpine system before.

Back