Stand-alone navigation device fitted in OEM pod

NSX~PERT said:
Who can help me with my ALPINE NAV install? Im confused if I need to connect a few wires. ALpine told me two different answers for the following wires, speed sensor wire, backup wire, and dimmer? Two different guys told me two diff answers one said to install them and the other told me they aren't important. Can any one help me that has installed an Alpine system before.

Your speed sensor wire is for your NAV to know how fast you are going. I've seen Alpine NAV systems installed without this wire and it works fine. However, it's an easy wire to tap into so why not install it just for sake of accuracy?

Backup wire is so that if you have a backup camera, it will switch to the backup camera when you go into reverse. Not necessary if you don't want this feature.

Dimmer is a VERY easy wire to hookup, don't know why you'd want to leave that out. Simple orange wire to orange wire hookup if you are using an aftermarket harness.

All 3 wires are not necessary per se. But I would just hookup the VSS and the dimmer because it's not a huge effort to do either and it's somewhat beneficial.

Which did you find the easient in a 91' for the Speed sensor hook-up? Which Orange wire is for the dimmer (location)? Well at least one is out for sure the back-up. How about my Monitor will I be able to watch any AUX IE..DVD while driving I know it has some wire that need to go connected so it wont let you play sources like a DVD but how can I bypass them is it as easy as not hooking those wires up? I saw some small wire that comes with the unit I have the TME-M760 monitor will that be all I need to do?

Im thinking in mounting my Alpine NAV system in the glove, any other suggestions or pics of installs?

NSX~PERT said:
Which did you find the easient in a 91' for the Speed sensor hook-up? Which Orange wire is for the dimmer (location)? Well at least one is out for sure the back-up. How about my Monitor will I be able to watch any AUX IE..DVD while driving I know it has some wire that need to go connected so it wont let you play sources like a DVD but how can I bypass them is it as easy as not hooking those wires up? I saw some small wire that comes with the unit I have the TME-M760 monitor will that be all I need to do?

The orange wire for the dimmer is if you use an aftermarket harness, Metra PN 70-1720. I'd recommend an aftermarket harness so you don't have to cut into the factory harness.

Usually, to play video while in motion you need to ground the parking brake wire from the stereo. Your Alpine should be this way, the newer Pioneer stuff uses a gyroscope so that trick won't work.

MR,
Im utilizing the stock head unit still if there was some confusion, Im installing the pod with a Alpine Tme-M760 monitor w/ aux navigation and DVD player. I guess you are referring to an orange wire in the stock radio harness, if thats all I can tap right into that one for the navigation?

jorligan said:
Go with an in car computer and use the Xenarc screen. This allows GPS, voice activation, MP3, XM radio, DVD, wireless connection via hotspots and Internet via cell phone if you have the correct phone. It also costs less than the Alpine system.

Tim

Can you post some pics of the installation?

I just finished insatlling a TME-M770 and 852. The easiest place to hook up the dimmer wire is on the clock harness. The touch screen only works to switch between different devices. I put the DVD in the trunk and the monitor brain behind the passenger seat. The 770 is narrower than the 760 so i had to make 2 small filler plates for either side of the monitor. Hooking up the speed sensor is easy on the ECU. The reverse wire is to turn on a rear view camera automatically. If you want to be able to change things when driving, connect the foot and hand brake wires to a ground.

If The foot & hand brake wires go to a ground will the system work find when driving? or can I just leave them unconnected?

Back