Spacers...opinions

I recently went back to the stock wheel and tire setup (love it btw!), but feel like the rears look "whimpy" for lack of better terms. I am going to apply spacers, but not sure what your thoughts are. Chris @ SOS recommends either the 25's all around, or 15 up front and 25 out back. Any suggestions. I would prefer to do 25's all around so that I can do all the labor in my garage, but I worry that the fronts will be out too far for my tastes. Any thoughts/opinions? Also, if you have pics I would love to see them as well. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Chuck

Thanks for the links guys. I read those threads already, and the info is good, but gives no definitive answers. There are teams for both arguements. Some of them are dated and don't mention the "newer" integral 15mm's from Dali. I really think I might enjoy the 15/25 setup, but really don't want to replace the studs?! I would like to keep things as close to stock as possible.

I got confused when reading posts concerning the integral 15mm install. So are they saying they will fit the 94 stock wheels (because they have indentions(sp) already)? Sorry for the follow up, and thanks again.

Your old wheels had the fronts pushed out by 13mm compared to the OEM 16/17s and the wider tire pushed out 5mm more. Your old rear wheels were pushed out by 31mm and the wider tire pushed them out another 15mm compared to the stock 245 tire.

If you liked the look of you old wheel's offsets, then you would want a to use 31mm spacer in the rear and a 15mm spacer in the front for the same rim location.

IMO if your car is at stock ride height, the 25mm in the rear and the 15mm in the front will look best. But if your car is lowered by more than an inch, then you can use the 25mm all around or even get some custom 35mm spacers for the rear and used the 25mm for the front.

I bought the TC Sportline 15mm spacers with the integral studs for the front of my car and they worked fine with my SSR wheels. But I am not positive if the 16" OEM wheels have the clearance on the back of the wheel to allow the studs and lug nuts that protrude about 10mm beyond the mounting surface of the spacer.
Tom

Chuck,
I wonder what the weight difference between your OEM set up and the 18" after-market wheels was. Did you weigh the old wheel and tire combination?You commented that you like the feel of the OEM wheels, can you expand on aht effects you have noticed?

Tom

Chuck,
I wonder what the weight difference between your OEM set up and the 18" after-market wheels was. Did you weigh the old wheel and tire combination?You commented that you like the feel of the OEM wheels, can you expand on aht effects you have noticed?

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the insight! Hopefully someone can fill us in if the OEM wheel has the clearance on the back.

As for the wheel switch, the improvements were typical from what you would get from a lighter smaller wheel setup. Better accelleration, quicker steering response, etc. I must admit (the inner "child" in me) that I do miss the bling factor the TSW's added to the overall look of the ride! :biggrin: I think whoever picks them up will be happy with the purchase, but they won't work for the track.:wink: I just need some extra edge so I can keep up (well sort of) with my boy Charles Hudson down in Charleston. We cruise regularly, and his CTSC kills me all day long. At least now I will hopefully be able to still read his license plate.:biggrin: Thanks again Tom. If I can get some weight differences I will send you over a PM. Ken may be able to chime in on this and help us out though. He's like Wikipedia for wheels and tires!

Best,
Chuck

I have 25mm H&R wheel adapters all around. I took a picture of my car earlier today:

dsc01909fw9.jpg

The front wheels are very flush with the fender. To some people, it's too much. I'm lowered about 7/8".

Great looking NSX! Thanks for the picture. That was what I was looking for. I would like the fronts to be a bit more inside the fender well, but still not bad. I just know for sure that I do not want to have to change the studs. So apparently the OEM wheel can accommodate the 25mm's, but what about the 15mm's offered from Integral? Thanks.

Chuck,
The spacers are made by TC Sportline and are sold by Dali Racing. The term integral refers to the fact that the studs that you mount your wheels on are integral to the spacer. If you remove one of your front wheels, just look at the back of it and see if there are indented places on the mounting surface in between each hole for the studs. I think there are, but I am not sure.

The pictures of your car with your old wheels look just right with regards to front offset for a non lowered car. And since those fronts are pushed out 13mm, I think you will be most happy with the 15mm spacers in front instead of the 25mm ones.

Tom

Like TCroly stated, the wheel adapters from TC Sportline have the same design as the H&R wheel adapters. There's no need to replace the wheel studs. You just bolt them right on.

TC Sportline:

H&R:

You just have to worry about the OEM studs protruding past the thickness of the 15mm spacer:

That actually looks great. I will the advice given and look to use 15mm up front, but if it proves to be impossible without new studs then I can honestly say I like the look of the 25's all around. Thanks for the wealth of information.

Best,
Chuck

I have the TC integral spacers 15mm front, 25mm rear and would recommend them. Just a simple bolt on. Not the best angle to see the wheels:

15629DSC_1492.JPG

399436057_ee43b52c46_b.jpg

Last edited:
Guys I have to admit this looks good but what are the adverse performance affects? You are adding more rotating mass and what happens to handling if you are moving the wheels out that much? I mean I know that sometimes factory engineers will change this by a few mm to change handling characteristics. Can some track junkies chime in on this?

A wider track enchances handling and I do not see it having any adverse performance effects. The additional rotational mass from the spacers is negligible unless you are an avid track racer (for me, a novice/intermediate in road racing won't notice such a change).

A wider track enchances handling and I do not see it having any adverse performance effects. The additional rotational mass from the spacers is negligible unless you are an avid track racer (for me, a novice/intermediate in road racing won't notice such a change).

Do you race with spacers? You are changing the entire geometry of the suspension. Wider yes, when there is no suspension flex. But what happens during hard cornering movement? it seems that even the alignment would be off at that point. I don't think that moving wheels in and out 15-30mm and more on one end than the other has any sort of "neligible" affect. I am not trying to argue with you, I am just bringing up a point and asking.

Do you race with spacers? You are changing the entire geometry of the suspension. Wider yes, when there is no suspension flex. But what happens during hard cornering movement? it seems that even the alignment would be off at that point. I don't think that moving wheels in and out 15-30mm and more on one end than the other has any sort of "neligible" affect. I am not trying to argue with you, I am just bringing up a point and asking.

I'd imagine the effects are very similar to changing to aftermarket wheels with lower offsets.

I recently went back to the stock wheel and tire setup (love it btw!), but feel like the rears look "whimpy" for lack of better terms. I am going to apply spacers, but not sure what your thoughts are. Chris @ SOS recommends either the 25's all around, or 15 up front and 25 out back. Any suggestions. I would prefer to do 25's all around so that I can do all the labor in my garage, but I worry that the fronts will be out too far for my tastes. Any thoughts/opinions? Also, if you have pics I would love to see them as well. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Chuck

In my experience, most enthusiasts add spacers or use lower offset wheels on their otherwise stock vehicles simply for aesthetics, because they want the wheel to sit flush with the fender as opposed to inset. Typically the degree of spacing, often in the range of 5-15mm per side is negligible enough to be of little practical consequence, with the only real side effect being more debris thrown out onto the doors and quarters during daily driving.

If the vehicle is further lowered significantly, then another issue would be clearances, namely in the front. The first part of that discussion is the fender clearance along the upper range of motion travel. On track cars the wheels/tires are often tucked in with added negative camber on a stiffer spring rate, and this generally allows for a lower ride height during chassis setup. By regressing so significantly from the stock positive offset, on a mild alignment you may be more limited. An alternate explanation, positioning the top of the tire outwards so close to the fender lip; will sacrifice dialing out ride height in order to gain marginal track during chassis setup. Much depends on your tire profile, which on most daily drivers tends to be shorter side-walled narrower street tires with very mild alignments using stock fenders/liners. This all amounts to leaving little finaggle room. The second part is that I will also say that the farther you deviate the more tricky it becomes to realize issue-free lock to lock steering, as this can require experimentation being another wild card along with tire sizing.

If mild sounds like your direction, then depending on your existing offset and width you might go to 37 or so, not sure on your specific ride but 25mm sounds a little aggressive for stock. You might wish to make a notation of the width and offsets of members setup's you have come to prefer so you can get exactly what you want. If this is simply about aestetics... you can also preview various offsets by stacking on washers to the lugs in the garage. Spend a day playing around with a metric ruler to arrive at the exact offset you visually want. Then simply have a set of custom spacers made. However, be consistant along the wheel base. I can't agree on using staggered offsets (read below).

Do you race with spacers? You are changing the entire geometry of the suspension. Wider yes, when there is no suspension flex. But what happens during hard cornering movement? it seems that even the alignment would be off at that point. I don't think that moving wheels in and out 15-30mm and more on one end than the other has any sort of "negligible" affect. I am not trying to argue with you, I am just bringing up a point and asking.

On to performance theory.

The basic performance concept is that increasing track reduces lateral weight transfer when cornering, so can increase grip. However, the reality is that changes need to be more significant before you will really begin to notice this modification during cornering at or near the limit.

As an example, on an 02' NSX the front track is 1,511mm and the rear track is 1,542. The stock wheel offsets are 55 mm front, 56 mm rear. Once you start moving towards really aggressive widebody fitments like zero to +12 offset wheels then you can begin to start getting the track increased out to 88mm-100mm which is a relatively significant 3.5" plus increase. Go ridiculously too wide, other problems follow I noted in my other post. My point being, assuming your chassis is setup properly, my own experience is this this is more then range whereas you can begin to start feeling a seat-of-your-pants difference on the NSX.

It is very much like ride height in some respects, half the change half the result. For comparison, if you look at the numbers moving to a slightly lower offset wheel or slapping on a pair of 15mm spacers... these subtle changes would put you out about 1.18", so that is a change of about a half inch per corner on the center line. I tracked a whole year setup like that, including doing direct A-B comparisons between sessions among various spacer widths on my GTC's. It is just about as noticable as that NSX-R chassis bar. :wink:

The most important thing to know when you start playing with spacers or ordering wheels is that if you increase your track at one end of the car only, it changes the diagonal weight transfer characteristics, which would result in more understeer (rear track increased) or oversteer (front track increased).

Assuming you increase the front and rear track by similar amounts, the basic effect on handling balance should be fairly minor BUT the effect on front end grip can be more significant, depending on Steering Axis Inclination, since you will be increasing the Steering Axis Offset. Steering Axis Offset has the effect of trying to lift one corner of the car when you turn the steering wheel, so if you increase the offset by fitting spacers, you will increase both the steering weight and the change in load on the tire (hence increasing understeer), for a given amount of wheel movement. You will often find that tendency to tramline is increased, too.

Mitigations- downside one, is that some warn that it can increase loads on bearings and suspension joints to an extent, and it would not be bad to generally expect reduced life on your stock hub components due to the added loads carried by the bearings. Race cars generally have better grade aftermarket hubs and bearings, but you know personally I've never seen a OEM hub failure myself that was not more easily attributed to age and normal wear and tear on an NSX. I've yet to have a problem with mine which are 9 years old. Using the proper offset wheel is cleaner, and in some instances it is possible to have the wheel center line distance to the chassis to actually differ depending on the fine details. Two is corner weight, but if you are using a quality forged aluminum spacer without integrated studs this can be measured in grams.

In any case, take any advice you so choose.. but as a matter of safety most definitely make sure you use a quality spacer that is both hub centric to your wheel and your hub. Relying on your wheel studs alone to carry loads is not the best idea. Not sure on all of the brands available, as our bores are different, the generic stuff is usually crap. I've used wheeladapter.com in the past they can fabricate you anything you want.

Last edited:
John great points as usual but why is it everytime I read one of your posts I feel like I am back in college listening to one of my boring professors? looking at my watch trying to see how much time is left in the class.. :biggrin:

John great points as usual but why is it everytime I read one of your posts I feel like I am back in college listening to one of my boring professors? looking at my watch trying to see how much time is left in the class.. :biggrin:

LOL, I don't know, doesn't it always work out that way it seems? I had to sit through a computer science data structures and algorithms class not long ago...

Start learning about computational dataset performance fundamentals with red/black/splay trees, advanced search theory algorithms, or perhaps simply studying the 3D distributed architecture design of the NVidia micro-processor... and all of a sudden even the most bland racing suspension fundamentals becomes HIGHLY entertaining. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I mounted some SofS 25mm spacers on my NSX, and I felt the wheels protruded too far, especially the fronts. I subsequently used some 15mm SofS spacers, and now I'm very happy with the look. By the way, my car is lowered about half an inch with JIC coilovers.

My wife's NSX is at stock ride height. I'm afraid to add spacers to it for fear of giving the car an SUV look... you know, big gap above the tires and all the tire tread showing. I'm afraid this happens on cars that have not been lowered.

I hope my opinion has been helpful.

Philippe

no as long as you are getting more than 6 full turns,which you said you are:wink:

Thanks for the links guys. I read those threads already, and the info is good, but gives no definitive answers. There are teams for both arguements. Some of them are dated and don't mention the "newer" integral 15mm's from Dali. I really think I might enjoy the 15/25 setup, but really don't want to replace the studs?! I would like to keep things as close to stock as possible.

I got confused when reading posts concerning the integral 15mm install. So are they saying they will fit the 94 stock wheels (because they have indentions(sp) already)? Sorry for the follow up, and thanks again.

I STRONGLY recommend that you not get the Dali Integral spacers. I bought them and studs on two of them broke when I tried to torque them! Literally, the studs just sheared right off!!!! I returned them and subsequently bought H&R brand spacers - 15mm front/25mm rear. No question that removing the hub is a much more involved job then just throwing the rears on, but my friend The Hunter and I did the job and it wasn't terrible (though he did most of the work!!:redface:).

Back