SOS Stage 3 Begins.

Well got the car back and man what a difference. It feels like a whole new car IMO. Have to thank John V and Bill at Acura of Brookfield for doing such a great job. The biggest difference I can feel is the VTEC kicking in at 5800 instead of 6000 and taking it to 8300 is just awesome it just pulls like crazy. I will get to a Dyno in a month or so to see what it pulls. The car feels much smoother and ten times stronger than before and the SOS front bushing kit really tightened the front end up. The Accusump fits nice in the trunk and they installed the toggle switch up front next to the ignition. The exhaust note is much deeper than before and just a tad louder when your on it. All in all it was a lot of money but IMO it was worth it. Taking it to Road America next week to see how it runs...can't wait. FYI taking the car down to AoB I hit a pretty big chunk of ice that fell of a semi and I creamed it hard. I thought for sure my new front Shine spoiler was destroyed but it took the hit and I had no damage :biggrin: .

Last edited:
Congrats on the build Steven. I had a feeling you were going to really like your "new" car.

Look forward to the dyno sheet. Enjoy, bud!

Well got the car back and man what a difference. It feels like a whole new car IMO.
The car feels much smoother and ten times stronger than before

Just wondering: Did your car have some problems before? Nice to see some dynos.
You have the Type B cams. Does SOS not have those cams with only VTEC lobe modified anymore to maintain smog test capability?

My mechanic could do this too but I hesitated with it in the past because he'll take more than a year to do it. There's still one NSX waiting for the engine rebuilt. :(

Just wondering:
You have the Type B cams. Does SOS not have those cams with only VTEC lobe modified anymore to maintain smog test capability?

We discontinued this cam set since none were ever purchased and several sets of the Type B cams have passed the strictest state emissions tests (California) in 3.0L, 3.2L, and 3.3L engines.

BTW, nice to see picts of your car Steven. Glad you like the outcome.

regards,
-- Chris

We discontinued this cam set since none were ever purchased and several sets of the Type B cams have passed the strictest state emissions tests (California) in 3.0L, 3.2L, and 3.3L engines.

Thanks for the info, Chris.

What's the benefit in the None-VTec-Range in Nm or ft./lbs.?

Can't wait to see the dyno.
This would probably be the last engine modification I would do to my car if the results are good enough.
Maybe you could post your original dyno-results when the car was still stock just to wet our appetite. :smile:

I know your new "Super tuned" ECU must have some sort of tune on it to compensate for the new goodies, but I would have the car dynoed asap just to make sure everything is as it should be. Specially considering your going to be taking to the road course soon. Just a thought..

Were the heads removed and springs changed? I'm assuming the heads need removing to change springs.

The heads do not need to be removed for valve spring installation. They can be done in the car or our of the car with the heads in place. I believe A of B removed the heads for a valve job / surfacing.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Ahhh...what a sigh of relief overheating solved !!! The car ran super strong and cool all day. Temp needle stayed one tick below half to the blue every session. Nothing spit out of the overflow tank nor used a drop of oil all day. Looks like the head gasket may have been the problem in the past...but not anymore.

how reliable are these??? i am interested as well, but doesnt Webcams just resurface your current cams? i do track alot, how much stress can the resurfaced cam hold?

yeah and number!!! show them pls:biggrin: i am hoping with after market engine manage, will have about 300 to the wheel!!!

A proper regrind/weld will last a long time. The rolls in a cold mill runnning 50 mph with 80" strip are routinely hard welded and resurfaced. Those rolls suffer a lot of abuse without failure.

Steven, you crack me up - pic of the UPS man leaving. :biggrin:

Was it this one-
showphoto.php

Last edited:
Wow still no dyno? All the money spent without even knowing if you got anything out of it. Obviously it runs better but I would want to know if it really runs better or is it just a placebo affect.

I've been trying to sort the car out all summer after a few dyno runs. Turns our it's been running very lean and we have tried a few different things. To make it short I had to go back to my stock ECU and get a Apexi VAFC controller with a AEM fuel pressure regulator to get it running smooth and safe. I've been to a couple different tuners with two different dyno's and there's about a 10hp difference from the dynocom vs dynojet. The dynojet seems to be the higher number dyno. My last visit to the dynocom was just shy of 280rwhp. I'm very confident the car should pull near 290rwhp maybe more on the dynojet but I need to get back there to do another tuning session. Not sure if I will get back to the dynojet this year or not since it's closing in the the year end. I may get the RC 250cc injectors yet over winter but haven't decided.

My latest mod was the NSX-R short gears and 4.23 final drive which were just done and am amazed at the difference. If I would of known how nice these are I would of done this before the stage 3 mods. The power comes on so fast and strong now in 2nd-3rd and 4th gear I can't believe it. Will update if I have any more info.

Congrats Steven on the numbers. I have a setup very similar, with the exception of a 3.2 short block w/ 3.0 heads upgraded via SOS. I was also running lean (13.8-14.0) but in the 5500-6500rpm range. My initial numbers were 278rhp. This year I installed an AEM EMS and had it tuned at SOS plus I changed my headers and exhaust to Cantrell units. The results were 290rhp and 215rtq. I leaned the O2 WOT feedback from 12.5 to 13.0 and the new dyno numbers were 298rhp and 222rtq. A trip down the quarter-mile resulted in a 112 trap speed. The car is so much faster and stronger than my new S2000…….damn more money for SOS.

Back