So you think you've done a 2002-2005 Type-R Conversion?

Ben

Experienced Member
For those who think they've converted a US-Spec NSX to a "genuine" LHD 2002-2005 NSX-R, it appears that it's not as easy as one may think. There are numerous small details and differences beyond the obvious parts that everyone knows about. :tongue:

For starters, don't forget to change the following items..... :biggrin:

Click on the thumbnails for a larger image.

1. Cruise Control Delete, TCS Delete, and Immobilizer Delete with metal key

2. Power Lock Delete

3. Coolant Bottle Cover, Mesh Engine Cover, Red Engine Detail

4. Power Mirror Delete, Carbon Trim on silver door plate, NSX-R Door Sill Plate

5. Seatbelt Warning Light, Shift Lights, Carbon Gauges, Yellow Needles, and Red Rings

6. Smooth Rubbery Plastic Interior Trim throughout

7. Rear Underbody Diffuser piece on rear valence

8. Mesh Shift Boot, Half Height Antenna Mast Control

9. Bridgestone Potenza RE070 Tires

10. NSX-R Wheels with black lug nuts (white wheels alone doesn't mean they are really NSX-R Wheels)

11. Interior Trunk Release Delete, Smooth Rubbery Plastic Interior Surfaces

12. Glovebox Trunk Release On/Off Switch Delete

13. Power Carbon Recaro Seats

14. NSX-R floormats, custom engraved with your name (photoshopped for privacy)

15. Underhood Air Duct

16. Single Piece Center Console Lid

17. OEM Fix-a-flat filler kit and special lightweight trunk carpeting

18. Security System Delete

This list is by no means comprehensive - I'm sure there's much much more.

Yet again, Ben, your the man! I wish NSX-R were available in the US. Sucks:frown: I dont even track my car but im sure that thing on the street is an absolute screamer! Lightweight as all hell and a powerful little bugger:biggrin:

Cool post! I must say, though, that a lot of the "deletes" are things I would want! Trunk hatch release -- use mine 2x a day! I don't understand some of the changes...10g for a button? C'mon. :confused:

Last edited:
Out of those 18 items there are 6 of them that you can not incorporate into the USDM NSX. Even if you can get those items, you can't just slap them on to the USDM NSXs. LHD vs. RHD. And the other 4 are electrical that you can't just get into it and deletel it or re-adjust it. So that leaves 8 of the above items are installable. In no way you can have all genuine R parts installed in an USDM NSX and call it a true type-R.... All you will ever get is a wannabe type-R.
But at least some will go the distance and try to mimick ie. SerialNSXer
Those are good info for everyone to know about the venerable NSX Type-R!!!

Last edited:
lol

True conversion is simply not possible. I like to think... I have an NSX-T with Type R goodies.

Vance

I saw an episode of NSX-R in TOPGEAR

they mentioned some where in the beginning of the episode that the 02+ NSX-R Glass between the cabin and engine bay is thinner than your regular NSX. :cool:

Ski_Banker said:
Cool post! I must say, though, that a lot of the "deletes" are things I would want! Trunk hatch release -- use mine 2x a day! I don't understand some of the changes...10g for a button? C'mon. :confused:

Hehehe, Type-R is not for everyone. I, for one, like and use some of what they deleted. Although, I can see why they chose to delete. It's not just the weight of the button. Add the weight of the button, wiring, actuator, and glovebox switch, and you've probably shaved off about 3 pounds for the trunk release alone.

Ben said:
For those who think they've converted a US-Spec NSX to a "genuine" LHD 2002-2005 NSX-R, it appears that it's not as easy as one may think.
Great post, I can not agree more. Serialnsxer and Vance's NSX are NSX-R worthy for amount of effort and money put into little details, these are really complete conversions, not just exterior. There is a big difference between 02 conversion (which is not easy either) and Type-R conversion.

NSX-R is not absolutely perfect, you can still gain power and drop weight at the same time with high quality aftermarket I/H/E. Driftking is supposely going to start adding power mods to his personal NSX-R.

The main attraction for me from the NSX-R is the exterior look and weight reduction, just the exterior conversion alone for us non-02+ owners is quite costly not to mention time and effort. NSX with R look, 400+hp at flywheel, low 28xxlbs is good enough for me. Once I win lotto, I will do the type-r seats with power rail:biggrin:, by then the weight should get into 27xxlbs.

I choose to use genuine oem body parts as much as I can without going cost saving, already approaching $15k just on exterior alone (front, side, rear). So yes it is freaking hard. I have not yet even touched the interior, little details, suspensions, etc:eek:

You can also add these to the list:
#19 NSX-R suspension
#20 NSX-R Drive by wire
#21 Front under cover
#22 NSX-R brakes
btw: "Type-R" is also often used to describe NSX-R, it is not exclusive to Integra-R or Civic-R as other primer had mentioned in the past.

Last edited:
nsxsupra said:
Serialnsxer and Vance's NSX are NSX-R worthy for amount of effort and money put into little details, these are really complete conversions, not just exterior.

I'm going to guess that even on those 2 cars, the items listed above have been overlooked or skipped, hence not truly "complete" conversions. :tongue:

NSX-Tuner said:
Sounds like you've done a whole lot of research. Hmmm, makes me think that you might be planning to convert your '05. :D

Nah, Type-R is not for me. I like my creature comforts and removable top.

Just that there has been a lot of talk lately about NSX-R conversions, and on my recent trip to Japan, I was able to closely study a number of NSX-Rs.

A true full conversion of a US-Spec NSX to NSX-R is more or less impossible, or at the very least, extremely difficult, with a lot of custom fabrication of one-off parts needed to be made.

Ben said:
Nah, Type-R is not for me. I like my creature comforts and removable top.

Just that there has been a lot of talk lately about NSX-R conversions, and on my recent trip to Japan, I was able to closely study a number of NSX-Rs.

A true full conversion of a US-Spec NSX to NSX-R is more or less impossible, or at the very least, extremely difficult, with a lot of custom fabrication of one-off parts needed to be made.

Vance and Anil have way more goodies than a stock type-r.......by the time both are done.....it will handle and be way faster than a stock type-r will ever be. :smile:

ediddynsx said:
Vance and Anil have way more goodies than a stock type-r.......by the time both are done.....it will handle and be way faster than a stock type-r will ever be. :smile:
This is the best post I have read from you ever, seriously:biggrin: Comment like this did those two cars justice:cool:

Honestly the most important parts that matters in actual performance have been taken care of in those 2 cars. The little interior items such as item deletes are Mickey Mouse stuff.

There is a custom order plan, customers was able to order it with option to add or delete items they wish. Customize interior and exterior, the UK spec even came with silver headlights and other minor differences.

You can add immobilizer key:
imobi.jpg

Airbags:
airbagsystem.jpg

Rear hatch garnish:
rear-hatch.jpg

Wood trims, etc, if you want it, the Honda saleman will do what he can to make you happy.

Custom ordered genuine factory NSX-R with strange twist:
H901112870101010101B0000009L.JPG

K00919308490_1.jpg

K00919308490_3.jpg

K00919308490_4.jpg

K00919308490_5.jpg

NSX-Rs in different flavors:
attachment.php

ediddynsx said:

That's a whole different comparison, apples to oranges. If you want apples to apples, you would have to apply the same mods to an NSX-R, and with identical mods, the modified NSX-R will still be faster. :tongue:

Ben said:
For those that wanted to see full size original resolution of the images in the original post, you can find them here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=829

Click on the thumbnails to get the medium image, then on the medium image to get full size.
Hey Ben

thanks for the pix

but. do u know if this NSX-R is on stock NSX-r suspension or lowerd?

also are the wheels oem gun metal? or brake dust?
4265DSC_1633ps-med.JPG

thanks

You can get to 2800lbs wet even with a targa while retaining most of the power ammenities, such as PM, PW, PL, TCS, Cruise, Stereo, etc...

The Type R has some interesting compromises, such as no stereo or cruise but yet retaining power seats and windows.

While the 02+ trim is a nice minimalist implementation for street/track... several of the club members in Japan fully strip down their earlier Type R's and modify them heavily anyway for more frequent track use.

amgnsx said:
Hey Ben

thanks for the pix

4265DSC_1633ps-med.JPG

thanks
That black NSX looks hot!!!:eek:

John@Microsoft said:
You can get to 2800lbs wet even with a targa while retaining most of the power ammenities, such as PM, PW, PL, TCS, Cruise, Stereo, etc...

The Type R has some interesting compromises, such as no stereo or cruise but yet retaining power seats and windows.

While the 02+ trim is a nice minimalist implementation for street/track... several of the club members in Japan fully strip down their earlier Type R's and modify them heavily anyway for more frequent track use.

Yeah ,but isn't the NSX-R under 2700lbs??? A four hundred pound difference makes the NSX-R a completely different performance animal. I'm surprised it's 0-60 isn't lower than 4.4. It's handling should break a G easy. Thanks Ben between you and Vance I'm learning a lot.

Hey did any of you ever think about the fact that except for those guys who have a Zanardi we all have the base NSX model. That sucks!

Here are the official weight data:

The NA2 NSX-R weight:
2800lbs/1270kg with AC delete
2843lbs/1290kg with AC

NA1 NSX-R weight:
2710lbs/1230kg with AC delete:eek:, that is light, drop the heavily oem exhaust with Titanium exhaust, the weight dip into 26xxlbs, wow!
2755lbs/1250kgs with AC

97 NSX-S:
1320kgs

97 NSX Type S Zero
1270kgs

97 NSX 6spd coupe
1350kgs

97 NSX Coupe Auto
1390kgs

97 NSX-T 6spd
1410kgs

97 NSX-T Auto
1430kgs

It is strange, with all the talk of the R-conversion, I rarely hear anyone talk about the NSX-S, Type S Zero, Zanardi, or even NA1-R conversions?

WingZ said:
Yeah ,but isn't the NSX-R under 2700lbs??? A four hundred pound difference makes the NSX-R a completely different performance animal. I'm surprised it's 0-60 isn't lower than 4.4. It's handling should break a G easy. Thanks Ben between you and Vance I'm learning a lot.

Hey did any of you ever think about the fact that except for those guys who have a Zanardi we all have the base NSX model. That sucks!

The highly coveted NA2 Type R comes in higher than the NA1, at roughly 2800lbs depending on options as just mentioned. Relative to even a US spec coupe that's would be in the ballpark of about low to mid 200's lbs, likely 300 for a targa depending on options and what not assuming all other things being equal (fuel, if the targa cover is on or off, etc...)

Either way definitely enough to matter as you pointed out, especially 0-60 if that's a concern. The lateral is more a function of tires. I can say first hand that from comparing my own [from stock curb wet weight on day of purchase in stock trim (3169) to present day in no trim (2710)] over the years, that first hand impressions do count, and weight is most definitely a huge factor all around on the race track (braking, cornering, accelerating, feel, response). Especially not having that weight at extreme ends particularly in the rear pulling the car off line.

I know I used to have serious issues keeping up with the early Elise back in 01/02' when I first started out, and remember thinking to myself 'god those lotus's are freaking fast' and chalked it up to skills. However, after my re-build tables turned on the new street 05's noticably, and all that shedded weight was much of the reason. Weight is significant enough that compromises on amenities that used to bother me no longer do (I think all I need anymore is heat and minimal stereo to be happy as I can't seem to bring myself to part with either for the time being).

I have no doubt that if minimum weight for rules and/or all amenities were off the table as an issue during a bottom up build... allowing one to trim down to low-mid 2400lbs.. even running bone stock NA... well, their are a few guys on Elise Talk with the new Type S on order at full price... and could become quickly agitated next season with the stock NSX V6. :biggrin:

Last edited:
amgnsx said:
Hey Ben

thanks for the pix

thanks

The wheels are OEM gunmetal. No idea about the suspension.

Back