So you think you've done a 2002-2005 Type-R Conversion?

John@Microsoft said:
The highly coveted NA2 Type R comes in higher than the NA1, at roughly 2800lbs depending on options as just mentioned. Relative to even a US spec coupe that's would be in the ballpark of about low to mid 200's lbs, likely 300 for a targa depending on options and what not assuming all other things being equal (fuel, if the targa cover is on or off, etc...)

Either way definitely enough to matter as you pointed out, especially 0-60 if that's a concern. The lateral is more a function of tires. I can say first hand that from comparing my own [from stock curb wet weight on day of purchase in stock trim (3169) to present day in no trim (2710)] over the years, that first hand impressions do count, and weight is most definitely a huge factor all around on the race track (braking, cornering, accelerating, feel, response). Especially not having that weight at extreme ends particularly in the rear pulling the car off line.

I know I used to have serious issues keeping up with the early Elise back in 01/02' when I first started out, and remember thinking to myself 'god those lotus's are freaking fast' and chalked it up to skills. However, after my re-build tables turned on the new street 05's noticably, and all that shedded weight was much of the reason. Weight is significant enough that compromises on amenities that used to bother me no longer do (I think all I need anymore is heat and minimal stereo to be happy as I can't seem to bring myself to part with either for the time being).

I have no doubt that if minimum weight for rules and/or all amenities were off the table as an issue during a bottom up build... allowing one to trim down to low-mid 2400lbs.. even running bone stock NA... well, their are a few guys on Elise Talk with the new Type S on order at full price... and could become quickly agitated next season with the stock NSX V6. :biggrin:

Thanks John! I thought someone here told me it weighed like 2695. Now I just have to lose another two hundred pounds ,but I'm like Vance in that I like the T roof. Heat and radio...LoL

nsxsupra said:
Here are the official weight data:

The NA2 NSX-R weight:
2800lbs/1270kg with AC delete
2843lbs/1290kg with AC

NA1 NSX-R weight:
2710lbs/1230kg with AC delete:eek:, that is light, drop the heavily oem exhaust with Titanium exhaust, the weight dip into 26xxlbs, wow!
2755lbs/1250kgs with AC

97 NSX-S:
1320kgs

97 NSX Type S Zero
1270kgs

97 NSX 6spd coupe
1350kgs

97 NSX Coupe Auto
1390kgs

97 NSX-T 6spd
1410kgs

97 NSX-T Auto
1430kgs

It is strange, with all the talk of the R-conversion, I rarely hear anyone talk about the NSX-S, Type S Zero, Zanardi, or even NA1-R conversions?

Yeah I never do here of guys wanting/doing a Zanardi conversion....I wonder why. I know for the 02+ guys the NSX-R is the only thing we can upgrade the car to. If I had an 91-94 I would shoot for NA1-R specs in a heartbeat. I guess if you think about it Zanardi guys are the only ones who don't need to do anything:biggrin:

WingZ said:
Yeah I never do here of guys wanting/doing a Zanardi conversion....I wonder why. I know for the 02+ guys the NSX-R is the only thing we can upgrade the car to.
You 02+ guys are really really lucky. At least for the comestic/exterior NSX-R conversion all you need is wing, hood, and rear diffuser.

For me I never thought of doing NA1-R conversion for one simple reason, the exterior looks no noticeably different other than the wheels, nothing to get me excited. The main attraction of the NA2R for me is the exterior.

WingZ said:
Yeah I never do here of guys wanting/doing a Zanardi conversion....I wonder why. I know for the 02+ guys the NSX-R is the only thing we can upgrade the car to. If I had an 91-94 I would shoot for NA1-R specs in a heartbeat. I guess if you think about it Zanardi guys are the only ones who don't need to do anything:biggrin:

There is a '02+ Type-S also, which would be an easier conversion than Type-R, since many of the comfort and convenince items are retained. The Zanardi was basically a watered down Type-S of that time period.

Forgot to mention in the original posting, for 2002-2005 NSX-R, all the engine bays are painted black, no matter what the color of the cars are. The 1991-1994 Coupe Shock Tower Brace is also installed on 2002-2005 NSX-R.

Click on Thumbnail for medium size image.

Full Size here:
NSX-R Engine Bay

Ben said:
There is a '02+ Type-S also, which would be an easier conversion than Type-R, since many of the comfort and convenince items are retained. The Zanardi was basically a watered down Type-S of that time period.

Hey Ben

Where can I find info on a NSX-S conversion? Is it just the shocks?

WingZ said:
Hey Ben

Where can I find info on a NSX-S conversion? Is it just the shocks?

Not totally sure where you can get a comprehensive list, but off the top of my head, a partial list of differences between an NSX Coupe and NSX Type-S would be:

- Mesh engine cover
- Suspension (which I think is the same as the Zanardi suspension)
- OEM Recaro Seats
- Titanium Shifter (Same as Zanardi)
- Mesh side intakes (Same as Zanardi)
- BBS Mesh wheels (same as Zanardi, in either silver or gunmetal)
- Momo Steering Wheel
- Body colored roof
- numerous lighter weight replacement bits

Ben said:
Not totally sure where you can get a comprehensive list, but off the top of my head, a partial list of differences between an NSX Coupe and NSX Type-S would be:

- Mesh engine cover
- Suspension (which I think is the same as the Zanardi suspension)
- OEM Recaro Seats
- Titanium Shifter (Same as Zanardi)
- Mesh side intakes (Same as Zanardi)
- BBS Mesh wheels (same as Zanardi, in either silver or gunmetal)
- Momo Steering Wheel
- Body colored roof
- numerous lighter weight replacement bits

Wow they were still making mesh wheels for NSX-S???? I'd love to see a picture of those. Did they upgrade the wheels to 17/17 as well?

WingZ said:
Wow they were still making mesh wheels for NSX-S???? I'd love to see a picture of those. Did they upgrade the wheels to 17/17 as well?

No, the mesh wheels were only for the 1997-2001 Type-S. The 2002-2005 Type-S uses the same 17/17 wheels that we have in the US, albeit in several different colors. My reply above is in reference to the 1997-2001 Type-S.

Back