Smoked a Nissan Z

New Z's have quite a bit more power these days however. Consider the power gain from around 280 to somewhere around 313bhp and a 7500rpm redline. I think they can run mid 13's.

they are also quite a bit heavier these days... they just keep gaining weight as they age...

i'm trying to figure out why Enzos frequently break in half....:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
Safety construction...

The engine is the heaviest part in the car and if you separate it from the cockpit it takes the most force from a high speed crash whith it.

He almost always observed the Z being faster at the end of the day
That is reasonable. Perception of speed due to the torque. It doesn't really take a special qualification to test a car. Just as a sale manager of a car dealership doesn't necessarily have more knowledge than a customer who walk in to the dealership and happen to be really enthusiastic and know a particular car really well.

That is why I said stock NA1 will "walk" and NA2 will "run" away from a pre 306hp 350Z. Considering they are as common as Mustangs, since they are great cars/value, people buy them. I happen to own the NSX for 4.5 years. I can said that I walked 350z owners at their request "just:wink:" a couple times: when my nsx was NA.

Early 2002 350Z have 287/hp274lb ft of torque. 350Z Coupe only weight a surprisingly low 3188lbs, roughtly 1 dumbell heavier than a NSX-T. It has "near" similar straightline performance as NA1. 350Z's direct competitor is S2000.

Even professionals that does nothing but do road tests and write rewiews can have different opinions on same car while doing the test on the same day. I do like the NISMO Z more than S2000 CR.

i'm trying to figure out why Enzos frequently break in half....:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:[/QUOTEThey will alway break in half, that is the design standard to protect the "human box".

Hahaha...i see that photo shop, lol.

Photoshop ????

http://chinmotorsports.com/gallery/2006_05_MidOhio/index.asp

The pic is from the Chin Motorsports website... Memorial Day 2006 Mid Ohio. The car behind me is a 911TT, but there was a 350z there that day that I lapped a few times. As well, there was a Orange 350z at Mid Ohio a couple of weeks ago that was running in my group... lapped him a few times too. T, I know that you are a 300z fan but if you ever get your NSX on the track you will understand. Don't get me wrong, the Z is a wonderful car - especially for the $, but on the track it's not in the same league.

Photoshop ????

http://chinmotorsports.com/gallery/2006_05_MidOhio/index.asp

The pic is from the Chin Motorsports website... Memorial Day 2006 Mid Ohio. The car behind me is a 911TT, but there was a 350z there that day that I lapped a few times. As well, there was a Orange 350z at Mid Ohio a couple of weeks ago that was running in my group... lapped him a few times too. T, I know that you are a 300z fan but if you ever get your NSX on the track you will understand. Don't get me wrong, the Z is a wonderful car - especially for the $, but on the track it's not in the same league.

Oh, sorry man, I should have explained better.
I only took a cursory glance at the picture and I thought that that was an RX-7 behind you with what looks like a blue Batman logo photoshopped on it. I thought you were taking a stab at that new guy on the forum. :biggrin:

We all know where my loyalties lie!

OK so you take a car like a Z06 that has 500+ horsepower. You sell it to anyone that has the money (or doesn't, and can get it from a bank). Sometimes that buyer is someone young. He is at a light and his ego is not willing to let him "lose" to another car. The race is on, someone dies. Cars are getting more and more powerful. The next Z06 is rumored to have 700 HP. Technology will make power cheaper and cheaper.

Kids are kids. They are stupid. I was one of them. Does 100% of the responsibility lie with the 17 or 18 year old kid? Is there no responsibility on the part of manufacturers to curtail this race? The reason for 500 HP in a street car is only one thing.... it SELLS CARS. If we could build a 1500 HP car for 20K that everyone could afford... would anyone object? Or do we still just sit back and say "well the responsibility lies with the driver".

I am not trying to prove any point, I am just bringing up a question.

I got home from the Army on Christmas Eve. '69' One week later I went to my local insurance agent to insure my car. There was a guy waiting in front of me talking to the agent about his insurance premium. He was driving a 289cobra. His insurance was way over his car payment, something he hadn't planned for. This was a common occurrence in 1970. Seems like the insurance companies figured out a way to halt the hp race. As I recall it worked quite well for several years. Young drivers couldn't afford the rates, not sure that would work today.

[I said:
-snip-[/I] Or do we still just sit back and say "well the responsibility lies with the driver".-snip-

Yes. That is exactly what we say. Take responsibility for our own actions. The dealer is not to blame for selling a car to someone who has the means to buy, and is a legally licensed driver.

To say otherwise is ludicrous. You are saying that if someone goes out and buys a Z06, then goes and crashes it into a tree and maims themsleves, they should be able to go back and sue the dealer for selling him the car, as though they knew he was an incompetent driver and mentally uncapable of coping with the power to speed off faster than 99% of the cars on the road from a stop light?

Please...it shouldn't even be a question on the radar. Likewise a victim of the buyer's recklessness should not be able to go to the dealer or the manufacturer for producing a car like this. They should go after the person who caused them the injury, not after someone who has big pockets.

It is this line of thinking that is rotting our society away. It is always someone else's fault, never our own. And if you can't enough money from the guy who injured you, you go after someone who can, no matter how tenuous the connection. Sickening.

- End rant. :redface:

Yes. That is exactly what we say. Take responsibility for our own actions. The dealer is not to blame for selling a car to someone who has the means to buy, and is a legally licensed driver.

Just like:

If guns kill people
spoons make you FAT and pencils make all the spelling errors :tongue:

i'm trying to figure out why Enzos frequently break in half....:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Its safety design, just like race cars.

It makes it easy to split in half, so the engine will be away from the cockpit.

I was on the freeway and about to take the next cut off. Then suddenly an old mustang or cobra ( previews body style from current) pulls up next to me. Driver revs his engine, drops his gears and screeches his tires while we were both doing about 60. I looked at the Ford and I smiled of course because I had a confused look at first. I dont really care if the Ford was faster or proving something because I know my car looks good and it got the Ford driver's attention. I have nothing to prove and my car cost more if I were to damage anything. I'm in an exotic!! :smile:

Street condition is very important. Traffic, time of the day, etc.

As much as I'm guilty of occasion drag race, I have always being careful of where the events took place. Perhaps my luck will run out and get my self into trouble some day.

A cigar customer of my was gone for a month, turn out that his girl friend was killed while power walking on PCH in New Port beach by a speeding Mustang Cobra, driven by a Auto Journalist, who was speeding and lost control of the car. For most of us, we hear auto accidents often, and some times can careless because we don't know the people, but until it happen to some one you know, life will change...

OK so you take a car like a Z06 that has 500+ horsepower. You sell it to anyone that has the money (or doesn't, and can get it from a bank). Sometimes that buyer is someone young. He is at a light and his ego is not willing to let him "lose" to another car. The race is on, someone dies. Cars are getting more and more powerful. The next Z06 is rumored to have 700 HP. Technology will make power cheaper and cheaper.

Kids are kids. They are stupid. I was one of them. Does 100% of the responsibility lie with the 17 or 18 year old kid? Is there no responsibility on the part of manufacturers to curtail this race? The reason for 500 HP in a street car is only one thing.... it SELLS CARS. If we could build a 1500 HP car for 20K that everyone could afford... would anyone object? Or do we still just sit back and say "well the responsibility lies with the driver".

I am not trying to prove any point, I am just bringing up a question.

C'mon, are you serious? First of all, a person should know their limitations and use common sense.

Secondly, the performance of, say, a Z06 actually makes it a SAFER car, not more dangerous. Think about it. What makes merging onto highways, etc. safer? The ability to accelerate up to highway speeds in as quick a time as possible. Same for passing vehicles or any other situation where a powerful motor is needed. What about those occasions where you need to stop extremely quickly. Do you want to be behind the wheel of a "safer" 5000lb SUV so that you will incur less physical damage upon impact, or would you rather just avoid the crash altogether due to the superior brakes and handling of the sports car? I could go on, but the point is, performance vehicles are like specialized tools and machinery....pointless, even dangerous, if you don't know what to do with it. But in the hands of someone who knows how to utilize it's functions correctly, they are a blessing. So yes, it is the driver's responsibility to drive safely, and the manufacterer's responsibility to provide us with vehicles that are up to the task.

C'mon, are you serious? First of all, a person should know their limitations and use common sense.

Secondly, the performance of, say, a Z06 actually makes it a SAFER car, not more dangerous. Think about it. What makes merging onto highways, etc. safer? The ability to accelerate up to highway speeds in as quick a time as possible. Same for passing vehicles or any other situation where a powerful motor is needed. What about those occasions where you need to stop extremely quickly. Do you want to be behind the wheel of a "safer" 5000lb SUV so that you will incur less physical damage upon impact, or would you rather just avoid the crash altogether due to the superior brakes and handling of the sports car? I could go on, but the point is, performance vehicles are like specialized tools and machinery....pointless, even dangerous, if you don't know what to do with it. But in the hands of someone who knows how to utilize it's functions correctly, they are a blessing. So yes, it is the driver's responsibility to drive safely, and the manufacterer's responsibility to provide us with vehicles that are up to the task.

A car can handle and brake great with a LOT less power, my 240Z puts down less than 150 to the wheels and I don't seem to have any problem getting up to speed on the onramp or passing when necessary.

Where I live (semi) exotic sportscars are not something that you see every day.
Last Saturday I was driving the NSX to pick up a computer somewhere. While in town I spotted a brand new silver 350Z in the right lane. It was stop & go traffic. At the traffic light we were next to each other. The driver lowered his windows and gave my car a very close look and then a nice thumbs up. I returned the favor and we exchanged some comments. And even though we went on the same highway it was very obvious he did NOT want to get into a race with me. :rolleyes:

So your saying if everyone had a faster and better handling car there would be less accidents? Man I don't know what you smoked, but share with the rest of us!!!

To say otherwise is ludicrous. You are saying that if someone goes out and buys a Z06, then goes and crashes it into a tree and maims themsleves, they should be able to go back and sue the dealer for selling him the car, as though they knew he was an incompetent driver and mentally uncapable of coping with the power to speed off faster than 99% of the cars on the road from a stop light?

Please...it shouldn't even be a question on the radar. Likewise a victim of the buyer's recklessness should not be able to go to the dealer or the manufacturer for producing a car like this. They should go after the person who caused them the injury, not after someone who has big pockets.

It is this line of thinking that is rotting our society away. It is always someone else's fault, never our own. And if you can't enough money from the guy who injured you, you go after someone who can, no matter how tenuous the connection. Sickening.

I agree 100%, particularly with respect to litigation being out of control.

So your saying if everyone had a faster and better handling car there would be less accidents? Man I don't know what you smoked, but share with the rest of us!!!

No, I said that if you are a good driver then having a faster and better handling car would be safer. And I also said it is up to the driver to be able to drive within his limits.

A car can handle and brake great with a LOT less power, my 240Z puts down less than 150 to the wheels and I don't seem to have any problem getting up to speed on the onramp or passing when necessary.

Yes, true, but the point is is that the 240Z would be considered a sports car, basically meaning it provides more performance than the average car. It's not so much about power as it is the car's actual performance. All I'm saying is that a high performance car is much safer than other vehicles when in the proper hands because of it's ability to avoid accidents in the first place.

Yeah, well you had me until your first sentence. That was where you lost the argument.

lol....sorry, didn't realize I was supposed to win.

Since most seem to disagree with what I said (quicker, better handling/braking cars are safer than others because they are less likely to get into an accident to begin with WHEN THE DRIVER DRIVES WITHIN HIS LIMITS AND GENERALLY DRIVES RESPONSIBLY), I would like to know why that is apparently such a stupid thought.

All I'm saying is that a high performance car is much safer than other vehicles when in the proper hands because of it's ability to avoid accidents in the first place.

Your way out on a limb with your statements and can't back them up...

Your way out on a limb with your statements and can't back them up...

Then prove me wrong.

Granted, some accidents are unavoidable. But I seriously doubt that you can back up your statement that I'm wrong. It's just common sense, in an avoidable accident, you have a better chance of escaping in an NSX than an Accord.

Back