Smoked a Nissan Z

I am not suggesting litigation. But if we can keep increasing HP levels in cars and hand them to anyone, that is OK with everyone? I know that guns don't kill people on their own but we also don't allow people to keep bombs and howitzers in their backyard. No matter what the object is, we draw the line somewhere. We say responsibility is with the individual but you are not allowed to keep a military tank at home just because you want to.

I am all for individual responsibility less government and less regulation. I supercharged my own NSX. But I have to speak honestly and say that the very high levels of HP in the hands of younger and younger people makes me uncomfortable. Especially knowing that these people share the road with my mother who goes to the grocery store in her Nissan.

I cannot believe this makes no one else uncomfortable. I am not for banning these cars... but is it totally outrageous to ask that the driver of a 600 HP car have some pre-rquisite experience of some sort? Does no one else see anything wrong with a 16 year old who just got his license having a 1000 HP car as an example? We may be looking at scenarios like this in a few years. HP is getting cheaper, and fast.

I am not suggesting litigation. But if we can keep increasing HP levels in cars and hand them to anyone, that is OK with everyone? I know that guns don't kill people on their own but we also don't allow people to keep bombs and howitzers in their backyard. No matter what the object is, we draw the line somewhere. We say responsibility is with the individual but you are not allowed to keep a military tank at home just because you want to.

I am all for individual responsibility less government and less regulation. I supercharged my own NSX. But I have to speak honestly and say that the very high levels of HP in the hands of younger and younger people makes me uncomfortable. Especially knowing that these people share the road with my mother who goes to the grocery store in her Nissan.

I cannot believe this makes no one else uncomfortable. I am not for banning these cars... but is it totally outrageous to ask that the driver of a 600 HP car have some pre-rquisite experience of some sort? Does no one else see anything wrong with a 16 year old who just got his license having a 1000 HP car as an example? We may be looking at scenarios like this in a few years. HP is getting cheaper, and fast.

Being a 24yr old who has had fairly high-powered cars all his life I agree with everything you said except the fact you focus on younger drivers so much. Honestly I see just as many horrible ADULT drivers as I do younger drivers.

The problem is not the horrible younger drivers as much as the horrible system of drivers education and the ridiculously easy procedure of getting a license that allows the ill-prepared younger drivers to grow up into extremely stupid drivers... regardless of their owning a 89 civic wagon or a supercharged ZO6.

I got in too late and missed the story. However my friend has a Stillen High Boost supercharged 350Z. We've run our cars at the track and he can't keep up with the NSX. He has a very nice car but it's just too heavy. btw HELIJOE are you the guy with the small jet engines?

Being a 24yr old who has had fairly high-powered cars all his life I agree with everything you said except the fact you focus on younger drivers so much. Honestly I see just as many horrible ADULT drivers as I do younger drivers.

I agree with you but I must say that I was much more likely to street race when I was younger. In fact, I did. Thank God nothing ever happened. At a younger age, you are more likely to take that risk than when you are older. You are also usually less patient. This is a general fact. There are exceptions of course. Given the choice between a well-educated young driver behind a powerful car and an inexperienced "mature" driver, I would take the young driver.

You know I hear the argument of individual responsibility all the time but it doesn't wash with me 100%. For example if you are a rich dad and you buy your son that just got his license a Z06 (hate to keep picking on this car) and he kills someone drag racing, you as a dad are also somewhat responsible. I mean lets be honest... if I had a Ford Taurus, I would have probably raced less than I did when I had a sports car. I am bringing up this point because I have been on both sides of the fence.

As a young guy I used to street race. I am also an avid car enthusiast and don't want someone telling me what I can and can't buy. I see a lot of value in HPDE events and see no reason why a very young driver cannot be a better and safer driver than 99% of others out there. But I also almost had my sister killed on 2 occasions, one by a guy that was racing and lost control of a very fast car. I feel like something more should be done than to just sit back and say "well the responsibilty ends with the driver". You know that is not comforting to hear when you have lost someone. In any event I feel a number of things are responsible. Ignoring all and focusing on just one is probably a mistake.

.........But I have to speak honestly and say that the very high levels of HP in the hands of younger and younger people makes me uncomfortable. Especially knowing that these people share the road with my mother who goes to the grocery store in her Nissan.

I cannot believe this makes no one else uncomfortable. I am not for banning these cars....

My DD is an H1, I see you little cars sometimes :biggrin: but for some reason I feel safe W/ or without my seat-belt :rolleyes:

You should get a ~7800lb beast you'll feel fine and so will your family.

The NSX is just a track toy.

I have to call BS on that.

I am telling you about my own personal experience. No need to race when you know you have a slow car any other car will beat. I didn't race a whole lot in my Oldsmobile.

It really all depends on how much the driver values his/her car. If he/she loves this "high powered sports car" then he/she is more likely to baby it. On the other hand if he/she is spoiled to death by rich parents knowing that they could have their mom/dad get them off the financial hook then they may feel inclined to just drive recklessly. I know I feel less inclined now to push my car on the road then I used to when I had my Integra Type R or S2000 just because this car is my dream car and I'd rather live the dream rather then have it shattered in pieces.

lol....sorry, didn't realize I was supposed to win.

Since most seem to disagree with what I said (quicker, better handling/braking cars are safer than others because they are less likely to get into an accident to begin with WHEN THE DRIVER DRIVES WITHIN HIS LIMITS AND GENERALLY DRIVES RESPONSIBLY), I would like to know why that is apparently such a stupid thought.

The only part I didn't agree with with the part on power, as far as a superior braking and handling car goes well, I'm with you there.

you are not allowed to keep a military tank at home just because you want to.

actually you are, theres a cheiftan for sale not too far from me that needs a little work. if i remember correctly its not much more than what i payed for my nsx

+1. Age should not be the determining factor, but an IQ test along with some sort of advanced driving test should be a requirement to handle a car with a lot of power. Or maybe make a special lane for those who pass the test and let them be on their merry way.

The problem is not the horrible younger drivers as much as the horrible system of drivers education and the ridiculously easy procedure of getting a license that allows the ill-prepared younger drivers to grow up into extremely stupid drivers... regardless of their owning a 89 civic wagon or a supercharged ZO6.
+1, Germany has a much better system - their basic driving schools are very in depth and technical -like a high performance driving school.

We need a driving system -school, test, roads, rules (flipping a person off or gestures while driving is a big offense).

As an instructor at a racing school -many of our students from Germany actually have a high level of skill and conception of driving -greatly more than most American drivers.

High HP or low HP, all young drivers should go to additional driving/HP driving schools (Skip Barber) so they are better prepared to avoid accidents and to be able to anticipate them instead of being reactive.

Back