Sl65 Amg.

Just took a ride in the 2005 SL 65 AMG im looking to buy

When accelerating in the SL65.... i could not keep my head straight up.... it was pushed back at a good 30 degree angel to vertical cause the head rest was not adjusted to the right height....... and that was while the car was cold and was only boosting on one of the two turbos.

The exact feel is when the airplane takes off.....that is the type of acceleration your feeling in that car.

Last edited:
Comparing a 2005 150,000 dollar plus car to your 1991 25,000 dollar car is a very intelligent comparison. No flame suit needed maybe just a lobotomy reversal.

Armando

Apple to orange. The same can be said about a 996 Turbo, C6 Z06, Viper, and any high power cars when all you care is straight line acceleration. Don't get me wrong. I like the AMG and have a lot of respect for it.
Steve

MiamieNeSeX said:

thank you for proving my point.

i think all those extreme examples, depicts a lack of comparison between the two cars. :tongue:

The AMG took turns really well acturally and while under acceleration.

You should all find your way into one. Its hell of a car. :smile:

RON98 said:
You should all find your way into one. Its hell of a car. :smile:
Send me a cashiers check for $150K, and I'll be in one tomorrow :D

Good luck with the car, AMGs are beasts!

-Awais

This is an apples to oranges comparison...not just b/c of price but b/c of the car. The AMG is a luxury gran touring machine and a drag racers dream.. as it will pull sub 12 second quarter mile times at 120+ mph. The amg weighs 4500 pounds and has enough power to get that weight moving quickly.. but it will never courner and handle like the nsx. The nsx is a lightweight sports car (3000 lbs) designed to turn and stop and will not win at stoplight drags. If power is your goal with some bolt on modifications the nsx can have ample power. Mine has 380 RWHP and will still get beat by the sl65 in a drag race, but overall it's pretty close in a straight line and i can handle better. FYI i also have an s2000 with 320 RWHP and i can barley beat SL55's with this car. It shocks the SL55 driver when a seeminly stock s2000 beats him in a drag race!

The sl55 is a hell of a car, but for that cash you have alot of interesting choices like, GT2 porsche, ford gt, (2) 500 hp z06's, a viper and a z06 or a 360 spider or even a 1000 hp hennesy viper. I would by any of these before i bought the benz!

O-Ace said:

-Awais
Not me, give me 150k and i'll have some turbos, and a track rat(race car).
i personally dont see the appeal of the mercedes. They are terrific cars, but i dont see them at that price point.
If i want to spend that much i'm getting something italian :biggrin:

i was eyeing the 360... but was a lot slower.

Guy said, that the 360's wont even drive with him and it will subdu the z06. Not a big fan of vetts... although $/performance, they rule. Um.... put 150,000 in an NSX? Wonder what that would do.

There are also other conciderations in this decision.

O-Ace said:

-Awais

Dude, local dealer is asking over 200 grand for one of those, and they would go below that... New Port Beach Fletcher Jones MB... Yeah, if you can afford one of those, I guess my 03 NSX @ 70 grand (purchased 2 months ago) is like buying a Civic for you.

Why not a Mclaren SLR Vision, or a used F40, just couple hundred grand more than the SL65, pocket change. What the hell, just go all the way out for a Mclaren F1 or Enzo, those cars will make the SL65 look like C230... lol

Well, all joke a side, SL65 is a fantastic car, but not a fair compareson. I guess if I have a lot of money, I'll have both of them in my garage, plus couple of Ferraris.

SL56 is a great car. Great for freeway and Drag racing. But with that said, I would never give up my nsx for an SL65. For one, an NSX is a driving experience even at legal speeds, while the SL65 at 45 mph feels just like another mercedes benz or luxury coupe...smooth, unexciting and automatic :frown: . You would have to break the speed laws to really enjoy the SL65, other than that, its just another car ride. Don't get me wrong, the car has the beauty and german durability, but if i had the opportunity i'd buy the new Aston Martin Vanquish.

Ron ,You've got a wacky way of telling us that A) you were impressed with a car with 605 hp. B)You are surprised that a twin turbo v-12 is so much stronger than a 3.0 liter na v-6 :rolleyes: btw,after driving my nsx,I'm throwing away my sneakers! :confused:

i was expecting quick... but didnt expect that quick out of a 2 ton car.

Got too giddy.

Apples and oranges point taken. Corrected in my origial post. Old sneakers have very strong sentamental values and cant be replaced by new ones :smile:

Maybe i need to dump more money in to the nsx. :wink:

Even better, put good money toward tools and do my own tuning

Last edited:
Vancehu said:
Dude, local dealer is asking over 200 grand for one of those, and they would go below that... New Port Beach Fletcher Jones MB... Yeah, if you can afford one of those, I guess my 03 NSX @ 70 grand (purchased 2 months ago) is like buying a Civic for you.

Why not a Mclaren SLR Vision, or a used F40, just couple hundred grand more than the SL65, pocket change. What the hell, just go all the way out for a Mclaren F1 or Enzo, those cars will make the SL65 look like C230... lol

Well, all joke a side, SL65 is a fantastic car, but not a fair compareson. I guess if I have a lot of money, I'll have both of them in my garage, plus couple of Ferraris.
I'm just curious, why did you quote my post in your reply? Your reply has nothing to do with my post. Just curious :D

Boss has a CL65AMG....keeps telling me how much of a ferrari killer it is, so I agree since I hate ferrari....I love Porsche. I just told him he never ran into modded car's i've been in, and seen...like single supra's, 500 whp integras, etc.....and these lesser cars with guys that know there stuff and don't have the money.

To me the AMG, is a rich lazy mans car, not a tunners car like gt2, people just have money and buy all the there horse power stock instead of knowing how to use your money for more horse power......well at least he complimented me my NSX, and how my car gets more talk in the office than his...hehehe, but we'll see he's gonna hand me the keys to the AMG next week for a test drive.

I'd rather have an SL500 and take the saved $50,000+ and put that in my NSX with enough left over to add another bathroom onto my house.

Back