sl55

I have a friend who works for the local Mercedes dealer and has offered me what I concider to be a great deal. He has a 05 sl55 with 8k on the clock, silver with grey interior. He can have the car starmarked and is offering it to me for 90k. I drove the car yesterday and love it. A long time has passed since a car has put a huge smile on my face and had me laughing like an idiot. The last time I felt that way was when I bought the NSX.
Problem is winter is close here. I also don't really know a lot about the sl. I know a few of you guys have sl55's.
Any thoughts or comments?
Also the car has the pano roof. Does the pano roof bake you on super hot days?

What does having the car starmarked mean?

That car new is like $130K, so it sounds like a hell of a good deal to me.

08/22/06 BIG H Regular $90,000 6,023 Avg WHITE 8G A Yes
08/17/06 RIVRSIDE Lease $89,000 2,885 Avg WHT C960 8G A Yes
08/17/06 RIVRSIDE Lease $88,000 4,736 Avg BLK C040 8G A Yes
08/02/06 W PALM Lease $79,800 21,739 Below BLACK 8G A No
07/11/06 FAAO Regular $80,800 28,581 Below BLACK 8G A No

These are the Manheim Auto Auction results.
Sounds to me like your paying wholesale:wink:

The Kid said:
08/22/06 BIG H Regular $90,000 6,023 Avg WHITE 8G A Yes
08/17/06 RIVRSIDE Lease $89,000 2,885 Avg WHT C960 8G A Yes
08/17/06 RIVRSIDE Lease $88,000 4,736 Avg BLK C040 8G A Yes
08/02/06 W PALM Lease $79,800 21,739 Below BLACK 8G A No
07/11/06 FAAO Regular $80,800 28,581 Below BLACK 8G A No

These are the Manheim Auto Auction results.
Sounds to me like your paying wholesale:wink:

Those are 05's?

The SL55 is a very common car in my neck of the woods... just as common as the SL500. Regardless of that, it is one of the most beautiful cars on the road today - IMO. My neighbor gave me a ride in his SL65, it is just incredible. Wonderful looking car, inside and out, and neck breaking acceleration!

Well as an 05 the car has another 3 years or so left on the warranty anyway. Having it certified (no longer called Starmark) will add one year of warranty for you. Which is good for resale. This car is not a car that you want to buy out of warranty. Trust me.

Forget book value on these, unlike the NSX these go well below book value. However, I know them well and 90K is a good deal. Its not as fantastic as you think... I bet I can find more at or close to that. But its also not overpriced at all.

The options to look for:

Keyless Go
Parktronic
Distronic
Ventilated seats
Tire Pressure Sensors

I think keyless go was made standard on the 2005. Its a great feature.

Realize this car will not depreciate like the NSX. Expect about a $10K drop in value per year for the next few years.

I know this car well you can PM me if you have other questions.

I had a C43 for a couple years. Loved it, but I was shocked at how fast it depreciated. :eek:

I doubt your SL 55 will hold much of its value for long. Look at how quickly it lost $40k!

I would like to get one also because it would meet my needs and my wifes need for a convertible.

How realiable are these cars?

NetViper said:
I would like to get one also because it would meet my needs and my wifes need for a convertible.

How realiable are these cars?

Not very. MB these days suffers from many electrical issues. There are a TON of electronics in that car. It is very sophisticated, one of the most sophisticated cars there is as far as electronics. But unfortunately they also have a lot of issues. This is why I said I would never buy an MB of that caliber out of warranty. Everything from the throttle to the brakes to the suspension is electronic. Various stability systems, HVAC systems, its loaded.

They spend some amount of time at the dealer, but I don't want to say they are horrible like a Jag, Aston or Ferrari. As long as you have a warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. My loaner car for my CL was a new E-class with 100 miles per day so I didn't even care... I drove their car for free and kept milage off my CL. This is all standard.

By the way a 2004 SL includes all maintenance. Its the only year they did this until they realized it was a mistake.

Bilulan said:
I've been considering opting out of the x for an 03 SL55. My price target is $60k for the 03. Based on Manheim, probably have to wait till Nov/Dec/Jan.

I think you are going to be waiting longer than that. To get into the 60K range you may be looking at late NEXT year.

I really like the looks of Mercedes, but of all the cars that I have owned, I have been killed the most come time to sell. The value and demand for them just used is just terrible. I want an E55 and I really like the CLS models, but are just too afraid of getting dinged once again in such an ass kicking way.

TURBO2GO said:
Not very. MB these days suffers from many electrical issues. There are a TON of electronics in that car. It is very sophisticated, one of the most sophisticated cars there is as far as electronics. But unfortunately they also have a lot of issues. This is why I said I would never buy an MB of that caliber out of warranty. Everything from the throttle to the brakes to the suspension is electronic. Various stability systems, HVAC systems, its loaded.

They spend some amount of time at the dealer, but I don't want to say they are horrible like a Jag, Aston or Ferrari. As long as you have a warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. My loaner car for my CL was a new E-class with 100 miles per day so I didn't even care... I drove their car for free and kept milage off my CL. This is all standard.

By the way a 2004 SL includes all maintenance. Its the only year they did this until they realized it was a mistake.

Good info. I don't mind driving the dealers loaner car either, as long as the loaner is as nice as the car I have in the shop. I remember when I crashed my lightning pick-up and the dealer wanted to loan me a 10 year old pick up while they repaired my 4 day old pick-up. Total bs.

I am going back to the Benz dealer either tomorrow or Wednesday. I will let you guys know what I do. Anything else I should be sure to ask the dealer?

steveny said:
Good info. I don't mind driving the dealers loaner car either, as long as the loaner is as nice as the car I have in the shop. I remember when I crashed my lightning pick-up and the dealer wanted to loan me a 10 year old pick up while they repaired my 4 day old pick-up. Total bs.

I am going back to the Benz dealer either tomorrow or Wednesday. I will let you guys know what I do. Anything else I should be sure to ask the dealer?

Aren't you concerned about the depreciation on this car?

man u guys lucky in the US SL 55 for 90K. 2nd hand here is 200K.
I wonder when the 63AMG and 7 speed gearboxes have any impact on the 55 series.

If I may make a suggestion. Get the sl 600. for slightly more money you have a car that can be chip modified by renntech to create 625 hp with 745 tq.
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/R230_SL.html

These numbers are close to the sl65 for a fraction of the cost. Going turbo definately allows more modification than the supercharger. The renn tech supercharger upgrande only gets you 40 hp or so for $5000.

johnny010 said:
Aren't you concerned about the depreciation on this car?

Not really. The only thing that concerns me is dieing with money in the bank. :wink: :biggrin: It looks like the car will depreciate about 10k a year. I probably won't keep it for more than a year anyways. So I look at it like it will cost me 10k to zoom around town in this car. I don't keep cars very long. The longest I have ever had a car was the NSX and that was 4 years. I have had well over 300 car in the last 25 years. All of them but the NSX depreciated.

steveny said:

Well they are only going to give you a C class, if you push maybe an E. You won't get an S, SL, or CL for a loaner. But even a C class is not a horrible car when its free. It will be the C240. SLow. But free.

Ask for the in-service date. To know when the car was bought and when the warranty started. Make sure they are certifying it for you. Make sure there is no paint/body work. Have them put that in writing for you that to the best of their knowledge, its not there. These cars will take a MONSTER hit if body work is done. See what it has in terms of the options I mentioned. Should be a great car otherwise. Very safe, very stable, very luxurious.

WOODY said:
If I may make a suggestion. Get the sl 600. for slightly more money you have a car that can be chip modified by renntech to create 625 hp with 745 tq.
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/R230_SL.html

These numbers are close to the sl65 for a fraction of the cost. Going turbo definately allows more modification than the supercharger. The renn tech supercharger upgrande only gets you 40 hp or so for $5000.

This is true, but also the SL600 does not have the look of the 55. Even with the AMG body kit, its still missing some ket items... better seats, different exhaust, etc.

With some mods a 600 can be BETTER than a 55... but it will be expensive. Plus the 55 holds its value better. If you tinker, I think woody is right... a 600 with a ECU upgrade will floor you with its acceleration... but it sounds like Steveny goes through cars and keeps them stock so this 55 may be better for him.

TURBO2GO said:
I think you are going to be waiting longer than that. To get into the 60K range you may be looking at late NEXT year.

Here's '03 SL55's on a national Manheim search since 8/01/06......

08/24/06 MANHEIM Regular $71,500 9,765 Avg BLACK 8G Yes
08/24/06 MANHEIM Lease $70,500 8,823 Avg BRI SIL 8G A Yes
08/24/06 MANHEIM Regular $70,000 15,007 Avg GREY 8G A Yes
08/24/06 MANHEIM Regular $70,000 13,053 Avg BLACK 8G A Yes
08/24/06 MANHEIM Lease $64,000 32,173 Below BRI SIL 8G A Yes
08/24/06 MANHEIM Lease $63,250 35,653 Below BLACK 8G A No
08/18/06 NEVADA Regular $70,000 25,586 Avg 8G Yes
08/17/06 RIVRSIDE Regular $71,000 25,890 Avg BLACK 8G A Yes
08/17/06 RIVRSIDE Regular $68,750 35,359 Avg BLACK 8G A Yes
08/17/06 RIVRSIDE Lease $66,000 43,729 Below OBS BLK 8G A No
08/10/06 MANHEIM Regular $60,000 39,025 Below SILVER 8G No
08/03/06 GTR TMPA Lease $63,000 34,234 Below RED 8G A No