Six Figure NSXs

Gotta disagree here. The NSX is going up because other collectables are going up even more. When you do the research and look around you realize what a bargain the NSX really is, and just how low the production numbers really were, especially the later cars. Expect prices to remain very strong and only go up.

I think "being familiar with the NSX" may actually make it harder to see how other people see the car. With all respect to the Toyota 2000GT (only 337 made, and now trading at close to $1mm) the NSX is the first Japanese supercar. That's makes it a milestone and very iconic car. I really like my silver/silver '03, and if I had the space I'd have a low mileage first year model as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that values are going up but, would you pay that kind of money for the car the OP has posted or any one of the recent sales at Barrett Jackson or Mecum? I mean '96 NSX with 12k miles sold at Mecum for $67,000. Plus the Fees to the Auction house?

Gotta disagree here. The NSX is going up because other collectables are going up even more. When you do the research and look around you realize what a bargain the NSX really is, and just how low the production numbers really were, especially the later cars. Expect prices to remain very strong and only go up.

I think "being familiar with the NSX" may actually make it harder to see how other people see the car. With all respect to the Toyota 2000GT (only 337 made, and now trading at close to $1mm) the NSX is the first Japanese supercar. That's makes it a milestone and very iconic car. I really like my silver/silver '03, and if I had the space I'd have a low mileage first year model as well.

- - - Updated - - -
I disagree with your disagreement. :tongue:

Some collectables (Early 911S for example) are going up more. Some (early vanilla 928s) are not. Muscle car prices are roaring back from the bottom they saw during the recession and many are setting records. Meanwhile woodies are down a little recently and prices on many American 40s and 50s marques and models have declined even as P-car, F-car and muscle car prices have boomed.

Most people who are about to drop mid to high five figures on one are "familiar with the NSX". As far as public perception goes, the NSX was uber-cool and revolutionary when it came out. The buff mags loved it but the public mostly yawned. For every fanboy* who lusts after an NSX today, there are a thousand collectors who couldn't care less. Collectors familiar with the NSX are familiar with the things that make it special. Most everyone else sees a nice looking Japanese car that lacks the "character and soul"** of the comparable Europeans and is way slower than Vettes of the same era (or Uncle Bill's new V6 Accord).

*I use this term with great affection. I consider myself something of a fanboy.

**bad ergonomics, lack of comfort, poor reliability, sky-high maintenance bills

Last edited:
I agree that values are going up but, would you pay that kind of money for the car the OP has posted or any one of the recent sales at Barrett Jackson or Mecum? ...

That's my entire point. As an NSX enthusiast you maybe don't see why they are going up, nor the "crazy" prices the cars are bringing.

As for early 911's, I'm very familiar with that market and the exact same thing happened. Enthusiasts who owned them for a long time could not understand why all the new fuss on their simple early 911's and why the prices were going crazy. And I agree, they really aren't much more than a glorified VW. So, when you look around, you start seeing imbalance. If an early 911 is $70k, and a late NSX is selling for $40-$50k, maybe it all makes relative sense. But then the early 911 start selling for $170k, and suddenly the NSX looks cheap. Hence demand drives the price up. To the NSX owner not following all the movements of all the vintage cars, this isn't evident nor does this movement make sense. The entire debate as to why vintage cars cost what they do is another topic altogether though. I'm only talking relative prices.

And I stand by my comment that the NSX is historically significant. It may have been ho-hummed when it came out, but it has aged very well, and is going to be recognized for its rarity.

Agree - think the rarity is what will continue to push prices higher. I chatted with a Corvette enthusiast / collector and he was saying how "rare" his car was (a 95 convertible in yellow and black) in that they only made 1004 of that color combination that year. I then told him that for the NSX they made a total of something like 166 units altogether for North America in 2001, and that my color combination was 1 of only 26 that year - he was absolutely stunned.

The good condition NSX's are only shrinking in number - I suspect certainly putting a floor under the prices, and likely continuing to push them higher.

That's my entire point. As an NSX enthusiast you maybe don't see why they are going up, nor the "crazy" prices the cars are bringing.

As for early 911's, I'm very familiar with that market and the exact same thing happened. Enthusiasts who owned them for a long time could not understand why all the new fuss on their simple early 911's and why the prices were going crazy. And I agree, they really aren't much more than a glorified VW. So, when you look around, you start seeing imbalance. If an early 911 is $70k, and a late NSX is selling for $40-$50k, maybe it all makes relative sense. But then the early 911 start selling for $170k, and suddenly the NSX looks cheap. Hence demand drives the price up. To the NSX owner not following all the movements of all the vintage cars, this isn't evident nor does this movement make sense. The entire debate as to why vintage cars cost what they do is another topic altogether though. I'm only talking relative prices.

And I stand by my comment that the NSX is historically significant. It may have been ho-hummed when it came out, but it has aged very well, and is going to be recognized for its rarity.

I don't dispute the significance of the NSX. I completely agree. I just don't think the appeal of its cutting edge technology has a really wide appeal among collectors...at least not yet. But as you point out (and I also agree with this), that the average NSX owner, like everyone else must look at the way prices move in the collector car market and just shrug in puzzlement. Some of the most authoritative people in the business of buying, selling, and managing the auctions are often flummoxed by unexpectedly high (and sometimes unexpectedly low) prices that certain examples change hands for.

the price is actually insane in the used car market if you are looking for a nsx. the latest model year is already 10 year old, but asking price is 65k or more. a lot of 91-94 coupes are listed above 40ks, and some 97-00 even have 50k asking price.

Why we are arguing our cars aren't valuable or appreciated by collectors is beyond g......

Last edited:
We are discussing, not arguing. Presenting different opinions an points of view. It's just another aspect of NSX ownership and interest that is fun to talk about.

- - - Updated - - -

As to why our cars "aren't valuable or appreciated by collectors", I suspect the main reason is that they are from the Far East rather than from Europe or the U.S. But interest in Japanese cars seems to be on the rise among collectors. This is changing slowly as certain Japanese makes and models are gaining recognition in the hobby. It started with the Toyota 2000GT. If this trend continues, cars like the NSX will eventually benefit. But it is still a fairly recent model with a relatively high survival rate. So it may be a while before the NSX is widely considered to be desirable among collectors. Meanwhile, an aging demographic among enthusiasts who cut their driving teeth on sporty Japanese cars has increased demand. And there is no doubt that recent press has enthusiasts (drivers as opposed to collectors) who had not previously thought Japanese looking at the NSX as a fun track day toy, canyon carver, or GT.

Last edited:
Very insightful thinking, I agree 100%.

Ive posted this before.. so not to bore anyone... but Keith Martin and the others on the program thought my 95 targa 5 speed 42,000 miles was worth 45,000 last May on "what's my car worth" on Velocity TVnsz screenshot1.jpgnsx screenshot2.jpg

for what's that worth????

Ive posted this before.. so not to bore anyone... but Keith Martin and the others on the program thought my 95 targa 5 speed 42,000 miles was worth 45,000 last May on "what's my car worth" on Velocity TVView attachment 121247View attachment 121248

for what's that worth????

I just watched a repeat of that episode. Nice NSX. Cool to know the owner is a Primer. The NSX got a "C" for collectibility but "prices are on the rise" or something like that and may become a "B" soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. That's the car in the Hemmings want ad I linked to in my OP.

6-figure NSX is VERY REAL that's all I have to say. Just because it's not reported on the forums does not mean it's not happening "somewhere". Many high end transactions happen behind closed doors in private party discussions.

If you told me the Ford GT would be selling for $400k today, I would never have believed you either. I had a chance to buy one for more than 60% off that price a few years back and now kick myself :(

If you told me the Ford GT would be selling for $400k today, I would never have believed you either. I had a chance to buy one for more than 60% off that price a few years back and now kick myself :(

I continue to hear there are higher mileage (35,000-50,000 mile) and some well-repaired salvage title ones that are in the $200,000 range...but I also hear they get vacuumed up pretty quickly.

6-figure NSX is VERY REAL that's all I have to say. Just because it's not reported on the forums does not mean it's not happening "somewhere". Many high end transactions happen behind closed doors in private party discussions.

So kind of like meetings of the reptilian humanoids who have secretly taken over the Federal government? (Sorry, but I will remain skeptical of these rumored six-figure deals until I witness one or see good documentation. Anyone who has the money to pay six figures for even the lowest mileage NSX probably has the resources to find a similar one at fair market value. (I am talking about U.S.D.M ACURA NSX's excluding the Zanardi Edition)

Last edited:
........ Most everyone else sees a nice looking Japanese car that lacks the "character and soul"** of the comparable Europeans and is way slower than Vettes of the same era (or Uncle Bill's new V6 Accord)..........

1991 Acura NSX
0-60: 5.2s
1/4M: 13.8@102mph
Car and Driver

1992 Chevy Corvette
0-60: 5.7s
1/4M: 14.1@102mph
Road and Track

-------------------------------

1997 Acura NSX
0-60: 4.8s
1/4M: [email protected]
Motor Trend

1997 Chevy Corvette
0-60: 5.0s
1/4M: 13.5@107
Car and Driver

2002 Acura NSX
0-60: 4.9s
1/4M: 13.1@109
Motor Week

2002 Chevy Corvette
0-60: 4.7s
1/4M: 13.1@111
Road and Track

So I wouldn't call the NSX "way slower than Vettes of the same era".

As far as collect-ability, yes, the NSX is going up in value....as are many vehicles. Is it a 6-figure car? I'm sure there are examples out there that would bring 6-figures. I was offered $49K for my car last year (a '94 with 46K miles on it and all maintenance). I turned it down because (other than not being for sale) I know that examples in the condition that my car is are becoming more and more difficult to find. Collectors, especially ones who know the NSX, also realize this information and the ones in excellent condition with all, or mostly all, original parts will command a higher premium....as with any collector vehicle.

1991 Acura NSX
0-60: 5.2s
1/4M: 13.8@102mph
Car and Driver

1992 Chevy Corvette
0-60: 5.7s
1/4M: 14.1@102mph
Road and Track

1997 Acura NSX
0-60: 4.8s
1/4M: [email protected]
Motor Trend

1997 Chevy Corvette
0-60: 5.0s
1/4M: 13.5@107
Car and Driver

2002 Acura NSX
0-60: 4.9s
1/4M: 13.1@109
Motor Week

2002 Chevy Corvette
0-60: 4.7s
1/4M: 13.1@111
Road and Track

So I wouldn't call the NSX "way slower than Vettes of the same era".

I actually had in mind the 1991 ZR1, which Car and Driver flogged to 60 in 4.9 and to 100 in 11.3 seconds compared to 5.2/13.3 for the NSX in a 1990 comparison article. The ZR1 is a dead-even match price-wise. I was also thinking of the 100 HP advantage the ZR1 had on the NSX, which I admit, is not "way slower" but is definitely somewhat slower and way lower in HP bragging rights down at the local Cars and Coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

Asking is one thing. Getting is another. But you never know. If someone wants a like-new '05 LBBP bad enough...

Last edited:
QpwqI7R.jpg

Back