Six Figure NSXs

tof

Experienced Member
A few months ago someone started a thread by asking if people thought we would see an NSX sell for six figures any time soon. (Couldn't find the thread.)

Well, it looks like the answer is "yes". The Merlin Auto Group in Atlanta has listed a low mileage 2005 on Hemmings for a cool $109,826 obo And it's not even a one-owner car! Of course the car has not sold for that price yet, and probably won't break the six figure barrier when it does sell.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/acura/nsx/1720173.html

Last edited:
In the last year or so, the asking prices for NSXs have gone up dramatically. It would be nice to know if actual selling prices have gone up as well. In the past, our cars seem to have appreciated much more incrementally. Lately, I have seen more and more what I consider to be crazy prices. Is there an NSX bubble starting?

All I know is that 2 of my friends are having a hell of a time finding a decent one at a reasonable price. About to give up...

A buddy of mine got a 2600 mile 2005 for $67,000 so I would say they can ask 1.5 Mill no one will buy it that's why they put OBO.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree some people think their 150,000 mile 91 is worth 42,000 LOL I don't think so.

Remember, P.T. Barnum's theory is always alive and well. Proof of this can be found in NSX sales at Mecum, Barrett Jackson and other auction houses where folks are paying well over what any one of us familiar with the NSX would pay plus the fees associated with those sales. Those sales are great news for the current value of our cars. And though, I'm not planning on selling mine anytime while I'm alive, I do care what the value is because my insurance company bases its claims decisions on that value. Since most NSX sales are private sales not public record and dealer sales number aren't considered all that reliable, the auction houses are given more weight by the insurance companies.

Last edited:
Impulse buys. Buyers who want to see a car in a convenient situation and drive it away. People who don't do their research. People with more dollars than sense. These sales are about the only ones that end up at silly dollar values. Like I said in the OP, I expect the Atlanta low mileage '05 to either sit for quite some time or to sell at perhaps 70% of the asking price.

The NSX has appreciated in value in the last couple of years. But the "bubble"--$40K '91s with 80K on the clock for example--is mostly in asking prices, not in selling prices.

Impulse buys. Buyers who want to see a car in a convenient situation and drive it away. People who don't do their research. People with more dollars than sense. These sales are about the only ones that end up at silly dollar values. Like I said in the OP, I expect the Atlanta low mileage '05 to either sit for quite some time or to sell at perhaps 70% of the asking price.

The NSX has appreciated in value in the last couple of years. But the "bubble"--$40K '91s with 80K on the clock for example--is mostly in asking prices, not in selling prices.

I think it may also be an increase in demand and decrease in supply. The marker is also picking up so that helps, I'm not sure if you're also researching other cars or not but other premium vehicles are doing good as well. When I was looking for my first NSX back in 2008 it seems like there was more of them available and because it was almost 7 years ago the average car was way younger with less miles and less history. If you're in a market for something like 02+ Imola, LBBP or NFR there is maybe one of those that pop up per year and there is usually more that one potential buyer involved so you have to act fast and in those type of situations there isn't much room for negotiations.

There's only 840 or so 2002+ so any color in those years is hard to find. Seems like the Silver and Yellow ones come up the most. I haven't seen a Red one come up since I bought mine a year ago. There weren't many then either.

There's only 840 or so 2002+ so any color in those years is hard to find. Seems like the Silver and Yellow ones come up the most. I haven't seen a Red one come up since I bought mine a year ago. There weren't many then either.

Only 280 red 02+, I got lucky and picked up an 05 last month.

It is easy to forget just how rare the late model NSXs are. People are typically amazed to know that there were only 30 red NSXs sold in the US in 2001.

Even compared to other exotic cars like the Ferrari 355, NSX production numbers are very, very small.
PbyWWo.gif

The only 02+ in classified currently is a Silver automatic transmission with an SC and after market wheels for 78k

Impulse buys... People who don't do their research... People with more dollars than sense. These sales are about the only ones that end up at silly dollar values....

Remember, P.T. Barnum's theory is always alive and well. Proof of this can be found in NSX sales at Mecum, Barrett Jackson and other auction houses where folks are paying well over what any one of us familiar with the NSX would pay ....

Gotta disagree here. The NSX is going up because other collectables are going up even more. When you do the research and look around you realize what a bargain the NSX really is, and just how low the production numbers really were, especially the later cars. Expect prices to remain very strong and only go up.

I think "being familiar with the NSX" may actually make it harder to see how other people see the car. With all respect to the Toyota 2000GT (only 337 made, and now trading at close to $1mm) the NSX is the first Japanese supercar. That's makes it a milestone and very iconic car. I really like my silver/silver '03, and if I had the space I'd have a low mileage first year model as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Makes me glad I picked up mine when I did.

Another way our NSX's "values" are captured is by using a collector car insurance. The stated value you insure your NSX for goes into the system and is reflected in their on line "Valuation Tool", i.e. Hagerty Insurance or several others. Tools like these are being used at car auctions and are driving some of the values of these cars.

Another way our NSX's "values" are captured is by using a collector car insurance. The stated value you insure your NSX for goes into the system and is reflected in their on line "Valuation Tool", i.e. Hagerty Insurance or several others. Tools like these are being used at car auctions and are driving some of the values of these cars.

One must remember that agreed values reflect the owner's opinion and is often inflated. Insurance companies will generally write policies based on these inflated values as long as they are not outlandish because the premiums reflect the coverage, not the actual cost to replace. The same is true when you obtain supplemental home-owners' coverage for antiques, art, jewelry, and so forth. Most appraisers will value such items significantly higher for insurance purposes in order to protect against general inflation as well as increases in market prices for the covered items.

- - - Updated - - -

The funny thing is that the run up in price has not been that great. Have a look at what the Ferrari 328 market is doing: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?Model=328&_dcat=6001&Make=Ferrari

Those were $40-60k cars not that long ago. KABOOM!

To say nothing of the prices on pretty much anything with a Porsche badge and a 911 on the rump. Driver quality early "s" coupes have almost quadrupled in price in three years. During the same time, 914-6's have almost doubled. Better grab that clean 928 S-4 before it starts to climb. Oh, wait...that's not a "real" Porsche.

Related funny:
Q: Why did the police department take the "911" decals off their cars in (insert favorite target backwards town here)?
A: They were all getting stolen. Locals thought they were Porsches.

I have seen that silver/black Auto change hands at least three times. was sold at a dealer in LV, went to a guy in Georgia, then down to fla and now its current owner. Something has people only keeping it a year or so. plus no original parts following the car.

I have seen that silver/black Auto change hands at least three times. was sold at a dealer in LV, went to a guy in Georgia, then down to fla and now its current owner. Something has people only keeping it a year or so. plus no original parts following the car.

I wouldn't hold the turnover against the car as long as it has a documented maintenance history backed up by a clean carfax and it passes a thorough PPI. Plenty of guys buy one because it was their dream car way back when. Then they discover that 90s technology is 90s technology in terms of performance. They find out that semi-exotics, even from Honda, don't ride like their Accord. They become aware that 20-25 year old cars may require some rather expensive routine maintenance and repair from time to time. Another classic catches their eye and they have limited budget/garage/spousal patience. Heck, the ownership history can provide a bargaining chip for the buyer in negotiating a price.

Back