Should I buy '95 vs '97? Help

I'm looking at two different NSXs.

First the 1995 50,000 miles:
NSX-T Black with Tan Interior, MB quartz and JL 8' stealthbox, JL e-series amp mounted in trunk. A couple of interior pieces need to clips since they are loose, inside it looks like a 10yr old decently kept interior. No spare tire. Aftermarket 18inch wheels, someone keyed the hood needs to be looked at by a shop. Front bumper could use some touch up. OEM suspension lowered by a hack, needs new OEM suspension ($2200 plus $1200 labor) or after market coilovers ($1800~ not sure how much for labor).

Alot of maintenance has been done, water pump, clutch, belts, valve adjustments, drilled rotors, brembo brakes. Very well maintained and the owner is my Uncle who has bought a 2003 NSX. Pain conidition is pretty good but should be taken to a body shop to have touch up work done and I'm concerned about the scratch. I do like the tan interior.

Asking price is $30K but I may be able to get lower due to paint/body reconditioning and need for new coilovers. I'd hope around $28500

Second vehicle is a black/black 1997 NSX-T:
just under 45,000 miles. Haven't seen the interior yet but it sound like it's in better shape, very well maintened cosmetically. Outside front bumper and back bumper may need a bit of touch up. OEM wheels have some curb rash. Car has always been maintenanced by an Acura dealer, but no major work has been done. Asking $40K, but none of the major preventive work has been performed, water pump, timing belts, clutch, valve adjustments, all those things could be coming up. Water pump and belts should be replaced as routine maintenance.

On both cars I'd like to get new wheels so that's a push. The stereo system in the 1997 is stock, so let's say $4K for the entire system plus install. The '95 has a decent sounding system, but I would like to relocate the AMP in the side wall of the trunk if possible. Plus i'd like to replace the JL stealth box with Zetool 10 inch sub and get a newer head unit with possible flip out screen. I can probably sell the JL stealth box and maybe the older Alpine head unit, so let's say $1500 for system upgrades.

The cost would be to me then $44K for the '97, but no big ticket maintenace items have been replaced. Plus i'd like to get new wheels and tires. Is $40K a good price? Should I be asking for $38500?

The cost for the '95 is $30K. Upgrades are coilovers (estimate $3K installed, $1500 audio upgrades). Plus this car may need a bit more conditioning cosmetically, but mechanically it's sound and has had a lot of work done, in a good way.

I've been trying to price these out online but it is very difficult. Which deal would you take? $30K obo for the '95 or $40K obo for the '97? Which is the better deal and at what price?

You do realize there is a performance difference between the 97 and 95 right? If not you might want to check out the FAQ, it might make your decsision easier.

that's the other piece of consideration is the $10K worth the performance? Six speed vs. 5 speed. I'll check out the faq section now.

Anyone here owned both? Driving impressions? Hard to find a comparo online. Is it 250 or 270HP for the '95? I've seen both numbers. Always seen 290 for the '97+.

Thank you,

Last edited:
270 for 95
290 for 97

Unless you plan on modding the engine, I'd say you're better off with the 97...do it right the first time or end up doing it twice.

All In said:
that's the other piece of consideration is the $10K worth the performance?

That, as the one before me stated, depends on what your intensions are. If you plan on modding the NSX, then the 95 would better suit you do to it being OBD1 and having that extra 15k to put in a CTSC, I/H/E. then you'll be satisfied as that would be more than enough for the streets and contain more performance than the 97 at that 44k price point.

On the other hand if you don't want to mess with it too much, then the 97 would suit you better. But since you're already considering a 95 with a few mods then i would assume you might mod it; everyone is tempted anyway :biggrin: .

I'm currently on the hunt myself. Recently spoke to a coworker who has owned 7 cars, including coupes, Ts, 3.0 and 3.2. Not sure if you'd consider an earlier coupe as well, but his feedback was basically this: As your first NSX, you're probably going to LOVE the car no matter what you buy. The differences between the models can be noticeable, even annoying, but only if you've driven them all. The '97 also has shorter gears in addition to the 20HP, so the performance difference is easy to notice. He bought a T after having owned a coupe, and he really missed the handling of the coupe. Not a major difference, but it was obvious and he was mindful of it. The T is looser and "shuddered" more over rough spots and turns. He says he could also feel the 100 lbs difference in weight between the '95 and earlier ones. Again, not an issue if you've never driven a coupe, but all of these little differences bugged him, to use his words.
He doesn't own a NSX right now, but will probably pick one up again--as long as he can find a decently priced silver 97+ coupe.

I don't plan on supercharing either. Just maybe bolt-ons, audio system, and wheels.

Just talked to the '95 owner. Price is set at $29K. Advanatages are that a lot of mainenance has been done and brakes rotors have been updgraded.
Suspension needs to be upgraded and I'm not to crazy abou the 18inch OZ wheels that are on it. I'd like to upgrade those as well.

The '97 is getting the ABS system replaced but is going to be on the shelf for a couple of weeks. It's time to replace the water pump and timing belts. Not sure how much that will cost, plus the clutch in 10-15K miles or so. I'm assuming everything else is fine on the car. I may have his dealership take a look and do an inspection.

The '95 has tan interior, while I think the contrast looks great, the interior is in okay shape, driver seat has a lot of scratches on the left side bolster. I would like to do a couple of mods to the stereo system, it's not how I would have done it so think it needs a couple of changes. Has a key mark that needs repairing/reconditioning, and needs the suspension upgraded. Still at $29K it get me into an NSX.

The '97 owner is going to send me pictures. If the interior is in that much better shape then I will probably cough up the extra cash and go with the '97. The only mods I would be looking to do would be the stereo system, wheels, and any maintenance. I guess all that can be performed later, but it can be bought stock at around $40K. So the '97 is that much better?

Last edited:
All In said:
that's the other piece of consideration is the $10K worth the performance? Six speed vs. 5 speed. I'll check out the faq section now.

Anyone here owned both? Driving impressions? Hard to find a comparo online. Is it 250 or 270HP for the '95? I've seen both numbers. Always seen 290 for the '97+.

Thank you,

The torque curve are totally different in both cars, its not just about peak horsepower. Braking has also improved on the '97+. If you saw an NSX advertise with 252hp, then its probably an automatic. All automatic NSXs have 252hp.

Don't forget the 97 NSX is 2 years newer than the 95, any car that is newer is going to be more expensive, regardless of performance.

Why not just test drive both and make a decision for yourself?

FrEsHaZzBuRu said:
If you plan on modding the NSX, then the 95 would better suit you do to it being OBD1 and having that extra 15k to put in a CTSC, I/H/E.

95's are OBDII.

Also, JL never made a stealthbox for the NSX (stealthbox is their custom fit line). Perhaps you mean one of their wedgeboxes. Having had both, I kept my 95 and don't regret it one bit. The 97 has better overall performance but it wasn't enough to make it that much better. If they were 5k apart, it would be a no brainer. But 10k you would have to justify that price difference. To get to the level of power of the 97 you would need minor mods. If you want 6 speed and better braking then get the 97. If you don't need the 6 speed, then that 10k could easily buy you better braking and get you the power of the 97. See this thread for some great power info...

Daedalus said:
as long as he can find a decently priced silver 97+ coupe.
That could take him the rest of his life.

Here is the total number of six-speed silver NSX coupes sold in the United States, by model year:

1997: 0
1998: 3
1999: 2
2000: 3
2001: 0
TOTAL: 8

I think you should honestly go for a 97,it's newer plus it has the 6 speed and the 3.2!!!! Im gonna upgrade mine one day to the 97 or the 02 and up. I love my coupe but I rather have the targa and fun in the sun. I want the 3.2 and the 6 speed that comes along with the newer model. It's really up to your preference on what you want. 10k is a big difference on buying a car and you have to consider if it's really worth that much for 20 horsepower and a 6 speed. Good luck and keep us updated!!!

Daedalus said:
I'm currently on the hunt myself. Recently spoke to a coworker who has owned 7 cars, including coupes, Ts, 3.0 and 3.2. Not sure if you'd consider an earlier coupe as well, but his feedback was basically this: As your first NSX, you're probably going to LOVE the car no matter what you buy. The differences between the models can be noticeable, even annoying, but only if you've driven them all. The '97 also has shorter gears in addition to the 20HP, so the performance difference is easy to notice. He bought a T after having owned a coupe, and he really missed the handling of the coupe. Not a major difference, but it was obvious and he was mindful of it. The T is looser and "shuddered" more over rough spots and turns. He says he could also feel the 100 lbs difference in weight between the '95 and earlier ones. Again, not an issue if you've never driven a coupe, but all of these little differences bugged him, to use his words.
He doesn't own a NSX right now, but will probably pick one up again--as long as he can find a decently priced silver 97+ coupe.

I don't agree with much in this post. Yes, you will Feel the performance difference between a 97 and a 95, unless you never drive the 97, and you will LOVE whichever car you buy. But:

He can "feel" 100lbs of difference? Car was looser? "Missed the handling of the coupe." Who is he, Senna? This is Bull Fodder.

Come on, I own a 95 Targa and there's no shake, rattle or roll in the car, it's darn near perfect. Would be nice to have 20 more HP, 6 cogs and better brakes, but 10K is a lot of cash. You can't count the cost of your upgrades since you don't need to do them, so they cancel each other out.

Have you ever driven a MT NSX? That will help you a lot. The targa is priceless on sunny days in my opinion. In the opinion of myself and many others, beyond reading the spec sheet you'll never notice the difference between a Targa and Coupe's handling. Just put the roof back in and it's pretty much the same in my opinion. Also, I dare anyone to convince me they felt 100lbs difference in the car!

$10K buys a lot of repairs and upgrades, stereo equipment, and cosmetic improvements. Not to mention you seem to know the history of the car better as well as the fact that at least $3K dollars worth of maintenance has been performed on the 95 that has NOT on the 97. I'd be looking hard at the 95, but then again, that's what I bought.

Best wishes to you in your purchase, and let us know what you get!

Brian

I personally would stay away from the 95. Aside from the smaller engine, taller gears and smaller brakes, the thing just has too much wrong with it.

With that stereo setup, its obvious this car has been taken apart and put back together A LOT. Tell tale sign are the broken clips on the interior pieces. I personally can't stand stuff like that. Probably rattles like hell when its being driven.

Keyed hood.....man, paint work is EXPENSIVE and also lowers the resale value.

The suspension was rigged.....UGH....what else do you think on the car has been rigged? You really don't want to mess with a car that has this problem cause you dont' know what effects this has had on the rest of the vehicle. Whoever did this to the car sounds irresponsible.

Worn seat bolster...ehhh.

The lack of the spare tire bugs me, too. I don't know why but it does.

I'd snag the 97. Then you won't have to worry about fixing stuff the second you get the car.

Good Luck.

I have own a 95, and I'm on a 03 right now. My payment doubled, which means... NA2 with Six speed is well worth the money.

You can always do the mods your self, which I prefered personally. You get to figure out what you want, find the right place to do it, and make more friends. Plus, 97 is newer, not by much, but it is.

Good luck

Vancehu said:
I have own a 95, and I'm on a 03 right now. My payment doubled, which means... NA2 with Six speed is well worth the money.

You can always do the mods your self, which I prefered personally. You get to figure out what you want, find the right place to do it, and make more friends. Plus, 97 is newer, not by much, but it is.

Good luck

Yeah I think I'm just going to wait a bit longer, pass on getting wheels, use existing stereo equipment to save on cost, and go with a newer lower mileage model. Just need to put together a bit more money since I don't want to do a loan. Half cash and half equity.

Back