Seeking opinions on black rims

Originally posted by huckster:
...im at the point now where i actually *like* the stock wheels! i probably will wind up with polished stock...

Visually the stock wheels are too small, IMHO. Here's a couple pictures of my wheels:

07.JPG

08.JPG

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 23 June 2002).]

I used to be a black car only kind of Porsche Guy, isn't there still a club for black Porsches only? Anyway, I'm not crazy about black wheels with polished lips anymore, and all black with a black NSX may look a bit too Area 51 for most. I've seen it on a black NSX that had some bulked up bodywork and it looked good. I have the Zanardi wheels which are my faves, but I wish they were an inch wider. Some other dark grey wheel would be nice. I like the dark grey OZ on a a yellow S2000, but so-so as to how they look on an NSX. I haven't looked around, and I don't know what is on the market. Dark 'charcoal' color is the same as brake dust, so they never look too dirty.

May I suggest that you consider the following to complete the 'balck out' look, by spraying the silver inside the headlight housings to match the body, like the NSX-R?
http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-Auto~Styling-Spray~on~Lamp~Cover~Paint-No-5653-none.cfm

Many of our customers choose black wheels but we almost always offer a polished rim lip. Without the separation between the black spokes and the tire, the wheels tend to lose all their definition or at a minimum, they appear smaller. It is a very race-oriented look when the wheels are all black but I know our wheels lose their impact when our customers get them all black. I have a black car and I wouldn't think of putting black wheels on it. If you want to look like you're going to take it on the track, black is fine, but then so is silver. I had chrome factory wheels on mine before I put HRE's on it and it looked okay. I'm not a chrome fan. I have brushed wheels now and from a distance I guess they would appear silver. Charcoal is also a very popular color now but it tends to have the same problems as black wheels.

------------------
Alan Peltier
Operations Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
[email protected]

'94 black/black NSX
HID - Autolamps
Wheels - HRE 448Rs - 18x8, 19x10
Tires - Pirelli PZero Rossos
Springs - Eibach ProKits
Shocks - Bilstein

http://geocities.com/nsxbyhre/Main.html

Check out our website at http://www.hrewheels.com

Originally posted by NSX-00054:
Greetings all,
What are your opinions on Black or Gray rims on a black NSX? Too black?
Newton

[This message has been edited by NSX-00054 (edited 25 May 2002).]

[This message has been edited by NSX-00054 (edited 25 May 2002).]

Well you asked for opinions so I'll give it. I don't like pictures of black cars with black rims. In person they do tend to look better IMO, but I've never seen a black car that I thought looked better with black rims than silver rims. So how's that for an opinion.

------------------
1994 Red/Black NSX #418
Forums Nazi Groupie

Back